SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Every bad move Dubas has made as GM of PIT and TOR

Mar. 20 at 10:50 a.m.
Quoting: Mike7856
A lot of these aren’t even that bad though when you add the context lol signing Engvall 1.25m x 2 is considered a bad move? Like it’s a mill not really a big deal and he wasn’t even that bad! Ceci for 1 year? Sure the price was a bit high but again, it’s 1 year and he was still young? Try comparing his tenure to Dorion and you’ll have a good laugh

But why would you waste $4M on Cody Ceci when you could have used the space to get a more impactful defensemen?
Herb_Brooks liked this.
Mar. 20 at 10:51 a.m.
Quoting: jfkst1
There's a 0% chance anyone knows what Koivunen will end up being as prospect development is wildly erratic. But he did have a near historically good season for his age in Liiga so there is at least some indication of potential.

I'm just going off of recency bias and everything I've heard from Dubas fans about guys like Niemela and Hirvonen
Mar. 20 at 10:55 a.m.
Quoting: Brad_Treliving
I've heard the same thing about Topi Niemela from Dubas fans that he's going to be a partner for Morgan Rielly in the future (this guy isn't going anywhere near a Treliving defense). I've heard the same thing about Roni Hirvonen and how he is a B level prospect.

I just don't see Koivunen being anything because I've seen it and heard it all

So you're looking at your own teams inability to manage prospects under different regimes, but Carolina, who makes a living of turning small skill guys into NHLers, are the same? Stop it. Koivunen is a very strong prospect, and it's why you cannot compare Koivunen to a defenseman like Niemala, or to Hirvonen who was mismanaged.
Mar. 20 at 10:57 a.m.
Quoting: Not_Isles5513
I am not a fan of that particular strategy tbh and I can’t remember many deals like it tbh. Closest I can think of is when Garth Snow traded Michael Grabner for half the leafs farm team and some guy named Carter Verhaeghe. 🤣🤣🤣

When teams are VERY thin, since there's very little difference between some of the A- prospects and B+ guys, there's not a reason to target specific guys if you just want best value from an analytical standpoints. Dubas and Carolina have very similar philosophies in that sense. Like, when Jeff Skinner was traded to Buffalo coming off another great season, Carolina didn't get a 1st that everyone thought they would. They got a 2nd, 3rd and 6th (and Cliff Pu, but we don't talk about him. The 6th turned Darling into Reimer, the 2nd was used on Pyotr Kochetkov and the 3rd was used on Alexander Nikishin. Sometimes, the best approach is just mass collection because you never know with prospects,
Not_Isles5513 liked this.
Mar. 20 at 10:59 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Remember when Kadri told Dubas to "kiss his a**" when he raised that cup above his head while JT was looking at another first round exit (the guy we replaced Kadri with) and paying Kerfoot $3.5M for like another two years

I wonder if he invited Dubas to his Stanley Cup party in Toronto. He wouldn't let Dubas to go anywhere near the cup but maybe he was lucky stand in the same room with it

And? Kadri was the 12th most important player on that Avs team... Look how well he's done in Calgary

Kadri wasn't as important to the Avs as Erik Johnson was... Let that sink in for a moment
Mar. 20 at 10:59 a.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
So you're looking at your own teams inability to manage prospects under different regimes, but Carolina, who makes a living of turning small skill guys into NHLers, are the same? Stop it. Koivunen is a very strong prospect, and it's why you cannot compare Koivunen to a defenseman like Niemala, or to Hirvonen who was mismanaged.

I mean nothing was mismanaged because those guys weren't anything to begin with just like Koivunen. Playing in a soft league with double the size rink isn't going to help his case. He will have a great career in the AHL
Mar. 20 at 11:00 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
And? Kadri was the 12th most important player on that Avs team... Look how well he's done in Calgary

Kadri wasn't as important to the Avs as Erik Johnson was... Let that sink in for a moment

Kadri 2021 playoff stats: 15 points in 16 playoff games
Kerfoot 2021 playoff stats: 2 points in 7 playoff games (lol)

How's Hyman doing again considering Dubas let him walk for nothing?
Mar. 20 at 11:00 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Niemela and Hirvonen are solid prospects though 😂

This guy's crazy... I'm not even a huge fan of Dubas... He was fine in TO and I hope he turns PIT around... But this is crazy
Mar. 20 at 11:01 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
15 points in 16 playoff games. How's Hyman doing again considering Dubas let him walk for nothing?

Still doesn't have a RD 3 win

And the Avs could have easily moved out 6 mill Erik Johnson for Kadri but didn't...
Mar. 20 at 11:02 a.m.
Still doesn't have a RD 3 win

And the Avs could have easily moved out 6 mill Erik Johnson for Kadri but didn't...

15P in 16GP for Kadri and 2P in 7GP for Kerfoot. Where's Hyman again?
Mar. 20 at 11:03 a.m.
I mean nothing was mismanaged because those guys weren't anything to begin with just like Koivunen. Playing in a soft league with double the size rink isn't going to help his case. He will have a great career in the AHL

And you're saying this because Koivunen is only 5'11? Ignoring the fact that he's put multiple good performances in at the age of 21 and was even getting consideration for the Hurricanes opening day roster on a roster with more depth than either Pittsburgh or Toronto? Let's look at Carolina's track record. Last time they pulled a 5'11 winger out of Oulu Karpat, how did that go?
Mar. 20 at 11:04 a.m.
But why would you waste $4M on Cody Ceci when you could have used the space to get a more impactful defensemen?

If I remember correctly (probably not lol) there wasn’t much on the market for RD. Typically just older guys or projects. Maybe Myers would have been better at the time but they also got to shed that garbage Zaitsev contract. Also the leafs got really screwed with the Covid cap freeze, 10.9 m for Marner would be a lot more tolerable if the cap was over 100m right now! Can’t really fault leafs brass for that one
Mar. 20 at 11:06 a.m.
And you're saying this because Koivunen is only 5'11? Ignoring the fact that he's put multiple good performances in at the age of 21 and was even getting consideration for the Hurricanes opening day roster on a roster with more depth than either Pittsburgh or Toronto? Let's look at Carolina's track record. Last time they pulled a 5'11 winger out of Oulu Karpat, how did that go?

So tell me what advantage he has by playing in a soft Finnish league and double the NHL ice size where there is no physical contact. You're ignoring that part and playing the size card
Mar. 20 at 11:08 a.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
I'm just going off of recency bias and everything I've heard from Dubas fans about guys like Niemela and Hirvonen

Name the team that has 100% track record on prospects. They don't exist. I would say Dallas and Carolina have been the best two given they haven't really had great volume or quantity of picks and created strong productive prospect pools.
Mar. 20 at 11:09 a.m.
So tell me what advantage he has by playing in a soft Finnish league and double the NHL ice size where there is no physical contact. You're ignoring that part and playing the size card

Cool, now what about Koivunen's strong performanes in the IIHF on North American ice? What about how dominant a player driver he looked as he was transitioning into the AHL? We just going to ignore that to fit your narrative because you know nothing about this player?
Mar. 20 at 11:13 a.m.
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
And if you open that window up by a second year, you can include him signing literally the worst deal in the entire league, Huberdeau 10.5x8.

There was also a time in the late teens where like a quarter of all active buyouts in the league were contracts bought out by Brad Treliving.

I don't know why certain Leafs fans are so insane about Dubas. The guy doesn't even work for your team anymore. Why do you care so much.

its insanity, when the leafs lose this spring, its going to be because of dubas you watch lol
Mar. 20 at 11:13 a.m.
Love the Reavo and Kampf signings, two guys I would want on my team

2 terrible signings
Mar. 20 at 11:21 a.m.
Quoting: Herb_Brooks
its insanity, when the leafs lose this spring, its going to be because of dubas you watch lol

Ohh easily, this team will have Dubas' fingerprints if we lose in R1 this year until we get rid of that JT and Marner contract
Mar. 20 at 11:25 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
15P in 16GP for Kadri and 2P in 7GP for Kerfoot. Where's Hyman again?

Kadri with the Leafs: 10 points in 19 games (+7 games for suspension, making it 10 points in 26 games)
Kerfoot with Leafs: 13 points in 30 games

Kerfoot's also better defender...

Dubas upgraded, as much as you don't like it, he did

And Hyman has had no success in the playoffs either
Mar. 20 at 11:33 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
2 terrible signings

Did you watch that Carolina game where they scored their 3 goals on the PK (when Kampf got HS)... They need Kampf

And the Reaves one is probably also for off ice as he's supposedly a good glue guy
Mar. 20 at 11:47 a.m.
Did you watch that Carolina game where they scored their 3 goals on the PK (when Kampf got HS)... They need Kampf

And the Reaves one is probably also for off ice as he's supposedly a good glue guy

marner is the straw that stirs the drink on the pk

they didnt need to sign kampf for 4 years at 2.4

reaves sucks
Mar. 20 at 11:47 a.m.
Ohh easily, this team will have Dubas' fingerprints if we lose in R1 this year until we get rid of that JT and Marner contract

just a stupid way to look at things
Mar. 20 at 1:00 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
marner is the straw that stirs the drink on the pk

they didnt need to sign kampf for 4 years at 2.4

reaves sucks

Tried the PK without Kampf and it failed miserably

Results say Kampf's valuable...
Mar. 20 at 1:18 p.m.
Kadri with the Leafs: 10 points in 19 games (+7 games for suspension, making it 10 points in 26 games)
Kerfoot with Leafs: 13 points in 30 games

Kerfoot's also better defender...

Dubas upgraded, as much as you don't like it, he did

And Hyman has had no success in the playoffs either

grimace
Mar. 20 at 1:29 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
grimace

What's next? Matt Rempe deserves 10 by 8?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll