Forums/Armchair-GM

If Montreal is still at pick number 5

Created by: KentMcNally
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 24, 2024
Published: Mar. 24, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
They have pick #5 as of today. Who should they pick?
Also, should they try to move up 1 or 2 spots AND if they do, who should they trade to try to move up?
I doubt the #2 team moves down to #5.
Right now, at number 5 I think they should go:
Demidov (but likely gone, unless the “Russia factor” happens)
Lindstrom (likely gone unless there are teams that really want defencemen)
Catton
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (ANA)
ANA
  1. Farrell, Sean
  2. Mesar, Filip
  3. 2024 1st round pick (WPG)
  4. 2024 1st round pick (MTL)
  5. 2025 2nd round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
    Montreal 2024 first round pick
    Winnipeg first round pick
    Jordan Harris
    Colorado 2nd round pick
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$75,810,416$1,170,000$4,035,000$7,689,584
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $7,850,000$7,850,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 8
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    C
    UFA - 7
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,900,000$2,900,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 4
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 4
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $835,000$835,000 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    $775,000$775,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $812,500$812,500
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $766,667$766,667
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $890,000$890,000
    G
    RFA - 2
    $867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $828,333$828,333
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,362,500$3,362,500
    C, RW
    RFA - 3
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 24 at 8:46 a.m.
    Prime Primeau
    Hughes would take Lindstrom, but I think the pick should be Catton
    Mar. 24 at 8:48 a.m.
    Verbeek won’t be trading back from where our pick is and should trade up from Edmonton’s pick into the teens
    KentMcNally liked this.
    Mar. 24 at 10:36 a.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks
    I wouldnt say Lindstrom is likely to be gone by 5. Levshunov, Demidov and Celebrini are top 3 (SJS or CHI will take Levshunov unless both are top 2). That leaves 8 guys I think could go 4.

Konsta Helenius
    Zeev Buium
    Cole Eiserman
    Sam Dickinson
    Berkly Catton
    Zayne Parekh
    Cayden Lindstrom
    Anton Silayev

Some more likely than others and it depends on team, but don't be surprise. Id give Lindstrom a 15% chance of going 4OA rn
    KentMcNally liked this.
    Mar. 24 at 10:41 a.m.
    Fall River Habs
    Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
    Hughes would take Lindstrom, but I think the pick should be Catton

I think Catton would be a very good pick.

I am curious why Lindstrom did not return to playing in the WHL when he was expected to following his injury and surgery. Seems like he has been out quite a bit longer than expected.
    Mar. 24 at 11:36 a.m.
    How has nobody commented on what a huge overpayment that’d be to move up a few spots? And I’m an ANA fan.

I imagine it’d be tough to say no to that value even though ANA very likely misses out on who we all seem to think is ‘their guy’ in Levshunov at 5OA
    OldNYIfan and GiggywithGibby liked this.
    Mar. 24 at 12:09 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    I think that it's pointless to speculate on draft order until after the lotteries and we know for a fact where each team will select. Right now, I can't see Anaheim trading back from #1 (obviously) or #2, and I think that it's unlikely that the Ducks trade back from #3 unless the kid they REALLY liked at #2 is gone. I can see Anaheim moving back from #4 to #6 or #7 in return for a 2025 first, though -- again, only on draft day when the Ducks see who's left on the board. The only way that I see Anaheim making a deal BEFORE the draft is if two teams behind them win the lotteries and the Ducks drop to #5 -- but then, the teams moving up would probably like to know who they're getting, so again that suggests only a draft day trade.
    Mar. 24 at 12:14 p.m.
    Fall River Habs
    Quoting: Jded
    How has nobody commented on what a huge overpayment that’d be to move up a few spots? And I’m an ANA fan.

I imagine it’d be tough to say no to that value even though ANA very likely misses out on who we all seem to think is ‘their guy’ in Levshunov at 5OA

I definitely did try to make sure ithe trade proposal would be enough for Montreal to move up.

It is interesting to me that some Ducks fans seemed to be focused on getting a forward (Demidov or Libdstrom) while you think they should go after Levshunov at #3.

Personalty I think that either way Anaheim could get very close to what it wants, as I think Anaheim could get Parekh or Yakemchuk at 5 if (when) Levshunov is gone or they could get Catton at 5 If Lindstrom or Demidov are gone.

Obviously if that line of thinking applies to Anaheim at #5 one might think it should generally apply to Montreal at number 5 too, but I just think that Anaheim ihas slightly more leeway to go for a forward or a defenceman with their early pick, while I think Montreal clearly needs the best forward they can get.

We will see what happens.

Thanks for your input.
    Jded liked this.
    Mar. 24 at 12:18 p.m.
    Fall River Habs
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    I think that it's pointless to speculate on draft order until after the lotteries and we know for a fact where each team will select. Right now, I can't see Anaheim trading back from #1 (obviously) or #2, and I think that it's unlikely that the Ducks trade back from #3 unless the kid they REALLY liked at #2 is gone. I can see Anaheim moving back from #4 to #6 or #7 in return for a 2025 first, though -- again, only on draft day when the Ducks see who's left on the board. The only way that I see Anaheim making a deal BEFORE the draft is if two teams behind them win the lotteries and the Ducks drop to #5 -- but then, the teams moving up would probably like to know who they're getting, so again that suggests only a draft day trade.

That is why I said if Montreal is at 5. I am basing the trade on the order of picks staying the same after the lottery. My trade proposals might have to happen on the draft floor after the first 2 picks are already made.
    Mar. 24 at 12:28 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Quoting: KentMcNally
    I definitely did try to make sure ithe trade proposal would be enough for Montreal to move up.

It is interesting to me that some Ducks fans seemed to be focused on getting a forward (Demidov or Libdstrom) while you think they should go after Levshunov at #3.

Personalty I think that either way Anaheim could get very close to what it wants, as I think Anaheim could get Parekh or Yakemchuk at 5 if (when) Levshunov is gone or they could get Catton at 5 If Lindstrom or Demidov are gone.

Obviously if that line of thinking applies to Anaheim at #5 one might think it should generally apply to Montreal at number 5 too, but I just think that Anaheim ihas slightly more leeway to go for a forward or a defenceman with their early pick, while I think Montreal clearly needs the best forward they can get.

Thanks for your input.

Who amongst Anaheim fans are saying that? I think we're all pretty aligned we need to go Levshunov.

Hopefully the top 3 order stays as is, San Jose will take Celebrini, Chicago will pass on Leshunov for a forward to play with Bedard as they've got Jones still around for quite a while, and then Anaheim can grab Leshunov.
    CaseyFlyman liked this.
    Mar. 24 at 12:53 p.m.
    Fall River Habs
    Quoting: GiggywithGibby
    Who amongst Anaheim fans are saying that? I think we're all pretty aligned we need to go Levshunov.

Hopefully the top 3 order stays as is, San Jose will take Celebrini, Chicago will pass on Leshunov for a forward to play with Bedard as they've got Jones still around for quite a while, and then Anaheim can grab Leshunov.

Back in January both Genral Lando and OLD NYI fan said in a response to a post that I put up that Anaheim would take a forward. Lando said Esierman and Old NYI just said "a forward" would go to the Ducks (you and OLF NYI actually had a back and forth about it at the time of the post). Obviously opinions can change over time (and it likely has on the Eiserman) option), but that is what i based my comment on.
    Mar. 24 at 12:58 p.m.
    Habswest
    Moving up doesn’t really make any sense since there’s really not a consensus after 1. You could still get your #2 at 5 without doing anything. So unless it’s for #1 I don’t waste assets moving up.
    Mar. 24 at 1:00 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Back in January both Genral Lando and OLD NYI fan said in a response to a post that I put up that Anaheim would take a forward. Lando said Esierman and Old NYI just said "a forward" would go to the Ducks (you and OLF NYI actually had a back and forth about it at the time of the post). Obviously opinions can change over time (and it likely has on the Eiserman) option), but that is what i based my comment on.

Ah, we weren't looking down the barrel of 3OA at the time. Figured Zegras would be back earlier, team would pick it up down the stretch. Figured we'd be picking 8-10 at which point there's no RHDs projected, only LHD and forwards.

Also, mid season projections of where people would be drafted are a bit loose.
    KentMcNally and CaseyFlyman liked this.
    Mar. 24 at 1:05 p.m.
    Fall River Habs
    Quoting: westcoasthabslifer
    Moving up doesn’t really make any sense since there’s really not a consensus after 1. You could still get your #2 at 5 without doing anything. So unless it’s for #1 I don’t waste assets moving up.

I just wonder whether there is enough of a difference between Demidov (likely #2 or #3) to Lindstrom and then from Lindstrom (somewhere between #2 and #5) to Catton to warrant looking into a possible move up in order to guarantee getting the player that Montreal wants. You may be right and it may not be worth it, but I thought it would be an interesting conversation to have.
    Mar. 24 at 1:10 p.m.
    Ah, we weren't looking down the barrel of 3OA at the time. Figured Zegras would be back earlier, team would pick it up down the stretch. Figured we'd be picking 8-10 at which point there's no RHDs projected, only LHD and forwards.

Also, mid season projections of where people would be drafted are a bit loose.

I was the pessimist of the group, I thought you guys were on something to think we’d end up 8-10th 😂 🤦‍♂️ 😭
    Mar. 24 at 1:18 p.m.

Thanks for your input.

I like the way you think. I personally think ANA would take the deal despite the fact that they probably miss out on Lev. Even though he’s exactly the type of 1RD pick they need imo, the addition of Lindstrom, or Demidov would still be great, and there’s a slight chance they can still snag Lev, but a reasonably good chance they can get one of the three (the top 4 is far from a consensus). it’s worth all of those extra assets to roll the dice.

Worst case they’re all taken and ANA settles for someone like Parekh. I don’t really think he’s the right guy for ANA with Zellweger already poised to quarterback the PP from the blue line, but maybe he can pair with Minty at 1RD eventually if he can add some weight to his frame and shore up the defensive play a bit. Yakemchuk would be too much of a reach imo
    Mar. 24 at 1:40 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Quoting: Jded
    I was the pessimist of the group, I thought you guys were on something to think we’d end up 8-10th 😂 🤦‍♂️ 😭

Just goes to show how badly Anaheim actually needs Zegras on the roster, our biggest problem all year has been scoring, and we had a healthy Zegras for all of what, 5 games?
    Mar. 24 at 7:00 p.m.
    Just goes to show how badly Anaheim actually needs Zegras on the roster, our biggest problem all year has been scoring, and we had a healthy Zegras for all of what, 5 games?

I agree we need him, but I still don’t think we’d have leapt anyone except maybe Columbus. Our goal scoring hasn’t been the only issue. We’ve been a mess this year

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll