SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

Apr. 1 at 8:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 1 at 8:19 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
His huge save, he was flopping all over the place. It looks amazing when it works but when it doesn't look good it really doesn't look good. Throw in the fact that you absolutely know he's going to let in more than one stinker and those types of goalies do not succeed in the playoffs. Woll almost never looks bad, he doesn't make as many 10 bell saves as Samsonov but I think that's because Woll is so much more calm in the crease and makes things look easier. Woll's been lights out in 2 of the last 3 starts and his "bad" game the team hung him out to dry. Of course you'll just take small sample sizes stats to justify your opinion and ignore every else. And Samsonov certainly did help me with that goal against

Goalies moving around is not a bad thing. If anything shows his athleticism. He's been good this game, one goal from distance when getting screened meh it happens. Hard to predict from there if its gonna go in or not. Nice shot by Montour thats all u get from that.

Again got nothing to do with luck its all him rn and the team in front helping when needed

He's been making the required saves and unless something drastic changes he's the game 1 starter as he's earned it.
Apr. 1 at 8:26 p.m.
average joe
Quoting: aadoyle
Goalies moving around is not a bad thing. If anything shows his athleticism. He's been good this game, one goal from distance when getting screened meh it happens. Hard to predict from there if its gonna go in or not. Nice shot by Montour thats all u get from that.

Again got nothing to do with luck its all him rn and the team in front helping when needed

He's been making the required saves and unless something drastic changes he's the game 1 starter as he's earned it.

I remember watching a couple of young Black Hawk goalies flop around and thought they were useless.
Good thing I am not a goalie scout.
It was Hasek and Belfour.
aadoyle liked this.
Apr. 1 at 8:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Messier99
I remember watching a couple of young Black Hawk goalies flop around and thought they were useless.
Good thing I am not a goalie scout.
It was Hasek and Belfour.

Yep

Like some goalies use their size only to stop pucks like Bishop and other's are more athletic Hasek

And there's nothing wrong with that as every goalie has their own style

Sammy is a goalie who uses more athleticism and thats fine. You can tell when he's struggling and when he's stable very quickly and so far this game and other since the call back up stable Sammy has returned

Unless something drastically changes he's the game 1 starter
Apr. 1 at 8:32 p.m.
Rip

We know what we will get with samsonov. Sometimes he's going to be unreal and then he'll let in a back breaker. Sammy is a less consistent Anderssen when he was a leaf. Was often really solid but the bad goals just kill you. Woll has way more poise and I a much higher ceiling. It's pretty clear by now that Sammy is going to have his bad stretches and they can be extreme. Woll is dialing it in. He's definitely the better goalie and will be long term as well.
Apr. 1 at 8:35 p.m.
Rip
Yep

Like some goalies use their size only to stop pucks like Bishop and other's are more athletic Hasek

And there's nothing wrong with that as every goalie has their own style

Sammy is a goalie who uses more athleticism and thats fine. You can tell when he's struggling and when he's stable very quickly and so far this game and other since the call back up stable Sammy has returned

Unless something drastically changes he's the game 1 starter

They'll split both the rest of the way and I'll be putting my money on the guy who's been better on the season. Sammy cleared waivers, is he mentally strong enough to handle some bad luck in the playoffs? Or when he inevitably lets in just a trash goal? How's he going to handle that?
Apr. 1 at 8:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 1 at 8:46 p.m.
We know what we will get with samsonov. Sometimes he's going to be unreal and then he'll let in a back breaker. Sammy is a less consistent Anderssen when he was a leaf. Was often really solid but the bad goals just kill you. Woll has way more poise and I a much higher ceiling. It's pretty clear by now that Sammy is going to have his bad stretches and they can be extreme. Woll is dialing it in. He's definitely the better goalie and will be long term as well.

Freddie consistency was never a good thing as he was to predictable for how his season would go with us time and time again

Slow start till Nov

God from NOV-FEB

Slowed down from MAR to playoffs where then he let us down year after year especially in series clinching games

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fexternal-preview.redd.it%2FXPgVm-ESCpUasY6vtagLM0s2sih69hiuCU4cic39lY0.png%3Fwidth%3D960%26crop%3Dsmart%26auto%3Dwebp%26s%3D7bd76befc75f4d5049637c3e15c2c8a93f6e7a0e

Sammy's big advantage only goalie to have won TOR a series in the Matthews era vs. a team who went to SCF 3 years in a row and won 2 cups. Not to shabby.

So if anything him being less consistent in that regard be a blessing lul

Also Woll really has not much poise and stuff he's like Sammy. You know right off the bat when he's thriving and struggling. Both have their style of play but u can see what kind of game your gonna get with each of them

As said before Sammy's the game 1 starter unless something drastic changes like he's an 0.850 and a 4.00 his remaining games
Apr. 1 at 8:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 1 at 8:46 p.m.
They'll split both the rest of the way and I'll be putting my money on the guy who's been better on the season. Sammy cleared waivers, is he mentally strong enough to handle some bad luck in the playoffs? Or when he inevitably lets in just a trash goal? How's he going to handle that?

He handled it last year

And outdueled Vasi even after some struggles here and there in that series

Rn he's playing well and is the only goalie who has won us a series

So again unless something drastic changes he's the starter would be stupid to do otherwise rn
Apr. 1 at 8:49 p.m.
Man...Nicky Robbie is showing why I'd like to see him under a different coach on this roster.

Yes,he makes mistakes on the defensive side but all young players do. It's not a reason to trade them away.
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 1 at 8:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Jacob Quillan

2 years 875k

22 years old

Plays Center

6'0 196 pounds

This season 39 GP 17 goals and 29 assists for 46 points with Quinnipiac

Nothing wrong with C depth
Apr. 1 at 8:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
Man...Nicky Robbie is showing why I'd like to see him under a different coach on this roster.

Yes,he makes mistakes on the defensive side but all young players do. It's not a reason to trade them away.

The thing I like is after the NJ game where Keefe called everyone out we have seen a gigantic turnaround

Tonight everyone has stepped up and is making things very interesting and now's the best time as playoffs aint far away

Sammy is staying stable and making the saves needed

The youngsters are contributing: McMann, Robertson, Knies, Holmberg all have been good

Bertuzzi is red hot rn

Domi has filled in for Marner. Not perfectly but has done a good job

And the PK has been better as of late.

PP still needs work and we need to be healthy but so far so good

When they 100% healthy gonna be very interesting to see what happens
oneX liked this.
Apr. 1 at 9:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Now I know its 5-1 but FLA always has the chance to come back especially if this team lets its foot off the gas
Apr. 1 at 9:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Refs penalize Benoit but ignore blatant trips against McMann and Holmberg SH

I see yah lul
Apr. 1 at 9:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The kid line reminds is like a double edged sword

Do a lot good but their inexperience at times shows

Second period they were good at both ends

Third period on for 2 goals against with some questionable coverage

They have a bright future but these are factors that will need to be considered when building the playoff lines

Good on Keefe to call a time out
Apr. 1 at 9:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Dam Domi should have did the Marner trick lul

Bait and switch
Apr. 1 at 9:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Keefe why is Reaves out on a 6 on 5?
Apr. 1 at 9:36 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
They're blowing this, aren't they?
Apr. 1 at 9:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
They're blowing this, aren't they?

I had to rub my eyes a few times but the **** was Keefe doing having Reaves out there on a 6 on 5 ☠

Its like he wanted this to happen lul
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Apr. 1 at 9:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I had to rub my eyes a few times but the **** was Keefe doing having Reaves out there on a 6 on 5

Its like he wanted this to happen lul

Dewar and Kampf were fine but wtf is reaves doing out there lul
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Apr. 1 at 9:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 1 at 9:46 p.m.
Thank **** for Matthews lul

8 away from 70

4 away from passing Ovie's 2008 total
Apr. 1 at 9:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 1 at 9:46 p.m.
Now I know its 5-1 but FLA always has the chance to come back especially if this team lets its foot off the gas

They really wanted to make our hearts race didnt they lul

Thats something they still have trouble with it seems. When the other team starts to gain momentum and they have a big lead they let their foot off the gas to much and we go from 5-1 to 5-4

Team just needs to learn to play a full 60 and they are set for playoffs

As if they play like they did in the second this game they are golden
Apr. 1 at 10:17 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Absolutely over the moon about the Quillan signing. He's a guy I dearly wanted last season. Such a hard working, tenacious guy (like Tverberg).

On another note, I feel like Steeves won't be playing with the Leafs now that we know what it is this team wants. Very disappointing, but I guess getting Quillan makes up for it.
Apr. 1 at 11:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Absolutely over the moon about the Quillan signing. He's a guy I dearly wanted last season. Such a hard working, tenacious guy (like Tverberg).

On another note, I feel like Steeves won't be playing with the Leafs now that we know what it is this team wants. Very disappointing, but I guess getting Quillan makes up for it.

Honestly yah never know as a good 2024-2025 training camp can change a lot

Steeves is a feisty guy and Brad does love that. Could see him be a rotate guy like Gregor

Like there be so many factors rn such as whose HC 2024-2025 is Keefe gonna survive this playoffs or are we gonna be adding Brid'Amour/Berube
Apr. 2 at 3:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Man I hate to be that guy but kind of wish JT's deal was up this summer so we could bring back Bertuzzi and Domi for 2024-2025

Now of course Playoffs may throw it out the window but dam both have looked good with Matthews and especially Bertuzzi has started to pick it up as of late

Sucks one or both are probs gone in order to divert funds to improve the Dcore
Apr. 2 at 6:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 2 at 8:23 p.m.
MLSE should buy the Growlers or create an ECHL team and have em share with the Marlies or something
Apr. 2 at 7:47 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
MLSE should but the Growlers or create an ECHL team and have em share with the Marlies or something

I'm shocked they didn't. Actually I thought we already owned the growlers
aadoyle liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll