Forums/Armchair-GM

3 appropriately sized scoring lines

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2025-26 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 4, 2024
Published: Apr. 4, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It's often said that this is a copycat league. The teams that win the Stanley Cup do not have multiple players per line under 190 lbs. You need heavier players in the playoffs, as they say, "some guys get you to the playoffs, and some guys get you through the playoffs". It's not that smaller guys can't have some of the largest impacts (thinking of guys like Briere, MSL, Marchessault) but they need to be surrounded by bigger body linemates and defenders.

In this post I'm trying to embrace that way of thinking. Aiming for a better balance of Size & Skill.

Big assumptions:

1) Habs draft Eiserman and work to round out his game
2) Caufield's shooting percentage rebounds next season
3) Dach hits the ground running upon his return from injury and solidifies that 2nd line center spot
4) Roy keeps showing progress and looks like a consistent middle six forward
5) Kakko trade happens in the 2023-24 offseason
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
3$950,000
1$975,000
2$975,000
3$1,000,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,000,000
8$7,000,000
1$1,400,000
3$1,500,000
1$1,400,000
3$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Eiserman, Cole
2$1,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Kakko, Kaapo [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
2nd line RW with NHL size and skill. Needs a fresh start.
NYR
  1. Beck, Owen
  2. Mesar, Filip
Additional Details:
Habs fans will probably see this as an overpayment, but between Dach, Newhook, Kapanen - Beck (while nice to have) is actually not really as needed as a 2nd line RW 6 with size.

Mesar - still has a lot of promise, but there are only so many small body forwards you can play in your top 9. I am limiting it to 0-1 per line and I don't see a place for Mesar unless we trade Newhook or Caufield, and I prefer the bird in the hand.
MTL
ANA
  1. Matheson, Michael
Additional Details:
Traded anywhere for fair market value during the 2024-25 offseason
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$92,000,000$69,297,500$0$1,500,000$22,702,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 5
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RW, LW
RFA
Eiserman, Cole
$1,000,000$1,000,000
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
RFA
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
LW
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
C
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
RFA
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$1,500,000$2M)
RD
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
LD
RFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
RFA
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 4 at 8:59 a.m.
Tony Ferguson Fan
I still don't know what yall see in Kakko that makes you want to pay that much for him.

I get rangers fans want to keep him fot the off-chance that he suddenlty hits his stride but other teams shouldnt pay that much.
MTLaveragefan and Shanesaw9 liked this.
Apr. 4 at 9:07 a.m.
SkateOrDie
appropriate sized.... 5'9 4th liner
It's not just being big.... there are plenty of big players who play like wimps. They need to have the right attitude. Because if they don't you get guys like Bjugstad. Throwing your size around is a mentality. Some have it others don't.

As for Eiserman, he'll most likely be playing at Boston the year this ACGM is done. He's already committed.
jonh514 liked this.
Apr. 4 at 9:09 a.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck
It's not just being big.... there are plenty of big players who play like wimps. They need to have the right attitude. Because if they don't you get guys like Bjugstad. Throwing your size around is a mentality. Some have it others don't.

As for Eiserman, he'll most likely be playing at Boston the year this ACGM is done. He's already committed.

I'm pretty sure MTL management are happy that he will get to develop in a good NCAA program. It did wonders for Caufield.
jonh514 liked this.
Apr. 4 at 9:17 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

This is 2025-26...
Apr. 4 at 9:20 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Voice_Of_Thruth
I still don't know what yall see in Kakko that makes you want to pay that much for him.

I get rangers fans want to keep him fot the off-chance that he suddenlty hits his stride but other teams shouldnt pay that much.

Look at his game log for the past 25 games. He IS hitting his stride as we speak. Maybe he's a 50 point 2nd liner who plays a good 2-way game. Who does that sound like? Arturri Lehkonen maybe? Would you like Lehkonen with more size on your RW? I know I would!
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Apr. 4 at 9:23 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

Yes, and if you watch Kakko, he's one of the ones who uses his body to protect pucks and to go to the dirty areas. He's a great kid and we'd be happy to have him once we do.

Go watch some of his plays the past 25 games. He is Rounding out nicely.
Apr. 4 at 9:25 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: MTLaveragefan
I'm pretty sure MTL management are happy that he will get to develop in a good NCAA program. It did wonders for Caufield.

Yeah, this is assuming one rookie year at BU and then he turns pro. If he wants to stay a few years, that's OK too, but I feel this kid needs to see what NHL action is like in order to understand and buy into the adjustments he needs to make.
Apr. 4 at 9:43 a.m.
Quoting: jonh514
Look at his game log for the past 25 games. He IS hitting his stride as we speak. Maybe he's a 50 point 2nd liner who plays a good 2-way game. Who does that sound like? Arturri Lehkonen maybe? Would you like Lehkonen with more size on your RW? I know I would!

Good teams like the Avs see a ton of value in guys like Kakko. So I hope the rangers aren’t dumb enough to trade him

For example, Lehkonen and Nichushkin
jonh514 and mcpeach2 liked this.
Apr. 4 at 10:12 a.m.
Habs 2010
Yes, and if you watch Kakko, he's one of the ones who uses his body to protect pucks and to go to the dirty areas. He's a great kid and we'd be happy to have him once we do.

And when he doesn't have the puck? He averages ~0.3 hits / game or ~25 per 82 games... that's really soft for a 6'2" 200 lbs player. Even Caufield has 52 hits this season. I think Kakko is too soft for NHL hockey, and that's a prime reason why his game hasn't translated to the NHL.

I'm also coming around to the idea of drafting Tij Iginla, he is thriving in playoffs right now I think he will be climbing the draft rankings.
jonh514 liked this.
Apr. 4 at 10:19 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Shanesaw9
And when he doesn't have the puck? He averages ~0.3 hits / game or ~25 per 82 games... that's really soft for a 6'2" 200 lbs player. Even Caufield has 52 hits this season. I think Kakko is too soft for NHL hockey, and that's a prime reason why his game hasn't translated to the NHL.

I'm also coming around to the idea of drafting Tij Iginla, he is thriving in playoffs right now I think he will be climbing the draft rankings.

Tij seems sort of interesting. I dunno how high he will rise. I would trade up or trade back. I would not take him 6OA.
Apr. 4 at 10:20 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Shanesaw9

I am specifically looking at his play the past 25-30 games (since coming back from injury). Soft players do not stand in the blue paint as he does. He needs to work on his consistency, but when he's on, this kid can really play. He's been a LOT more consistent the past 25 games than at any other time in his career.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Apr. 4 at 10:49 a.m.
Rangers say nope.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Apr. 4 at 10:52 a.m.
SkateOrDie

what has that got to do with anything?
little snooty much?
As I said, he'll be at Bos U the year of this ACGM.
Maybe get over yourself.
Apr. 4 at 11:00 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
little snooty much?
Maybe get over yourself.

Literally he's gonna play his Rookie season there. Why do you assume he will also play a sophomore season there. What if his goal is to turn pro ASAP?
Apr. 4 at 11:08 a.m.
SkateOrDie
This is 2025-26...

yeah and he'll be at Boston U......

what are you rambling on about?
Honestly, no one looks at Kakko as a guy who throws his weight around. You over here acting like you just traded for young Tom Wilson.
You know who else uses his body to protect the puck.... like every player in the NHL, like Crosby... but no one thinks Crosby plays a physical game... because he doesn't.

FFS, I really hate to break it to you, but Kakko isn't a physical player. Guy has a career high of 26 hits.
You can be 7'5 if you aren't willing to make contact with anyone and go get a puck you might as well be 4'1
Apr. 4 at 11:24 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
yeah and he'll be at Boston U......

what are you rambling on about?
Honestly, no one looks at Kakko as a guy who throws his weight around. You over here acting like you just traded for young Tom Wilson.
You know who else uses his body to protect the puck.... like every player in the NHL, like Crosby... but no one thinks Crosby plays a physical game... because he doesn't.

FFS, I really hate to break it to you, but Kakko isn't a physical player. Guy has a career high of 26 hits.
You can be 7'5 if you aren't willing to make contact with anyone and go get a puck you might as well be 4'1

Because no one has ever left college to turn Pro after only a rookie season...

The only one who mentioned Tom Wilson is you. I specifically mentioned his last 25 games. If you are unable to do research on your own and just want to troll, you do you, but I and everyone else here can see you for what you are.

I'm looking to have a dialog, not get into a slap fight with a little ... troll
Apr. 4 at 1:12 p.m.
I post sometimes
little snooty much?
Maybe get over yourself.

Thin skin buddy? - I only commented that I think that it is good that he will play in BU next year.

Like nothing in my statement was an attack against you lol.
Apr. 4 at 2:48 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Thin skin buddy? - I only commented that I think that it is good that he will play in BU next year.

Like nothing in my statement was an attack against you lol.

whats a matter got called out? too bad own it
Apr. 4 at 2:51 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Literally he's gonna play his Rookie season there. Why do you assume he will also play a sophomore season there. What if his goal is to turn pro ASAP?

pretty rare for a guy to waste all the time and effort to enroll to spend 1 year there.
On average players spend 3 years in NCAA before going to NHL. He didn't go there just to play hockey.
Apr. 4 at 3:13 p.m.
I post sometimes
pretty rare for a guy to waste all the time and effort to enroll to spend 1 year there.
On average players spend 3 years in NCAA before going to NHL. He didn't go there just to play hockey.

Go look up Fantilli, Eichel, Luke and Quinn Quinn Hughes and Caufield's DB page - you'll quickly realise that they did not complete 3 years at their Unis.

Top prospect will rarely spend the whole 3 years...especially when you can sign a 900K 3y contract that is more than what most people accumulate their entire lives.

"wasting time to enroll" brother please, they get approached and offered scholarships.

whats a matter got called out? too bad own it

lol you got a money-line or parley about him finishing his tuition? I see that you are new here, but with that attitude you are not gonna have a good time.

You getting angry alone for no reason. My brother in christ this is a hockey blog.
jonh514 liked this.
Apr. 4 at 3:21 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

Like Fantilli, Celebrini. I assume Smith & Leonard both turn pro after this season as well. Maybe Fowler.

Guys taken in the top 10 rarely stay long in junior. You can also look at a case like Cutter Gauthier who wanted to turn pro and made the Flyers trade him when they did not want him to.

So I guess I'm making the point that there is a clear difference between top 10 NCAA players and the rest.

They also have to register for college before they know their draft position. Eiserman registered before this USDP season. It's a failsafe.
Apr. 4 at 3:31 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Like Fantilli, Celebrini. I assume Smith & Leonard both turn pro after this season as well. Maybe Fowler.

Guys taken in the top 10 rarely stay long in junior. You can also look at a case like Cutter Gauthier who wanted to turn pro and made the Flyers trade him when they did not want him to.

So I guess I'm making the point that there is a clear difference between top 10 NCAA players and the rest.

They also have to register for college before they know their draft position. Eiserman registered before this USDP season. It's a failsafe.

The list of players there,
Go look up Fantilli, Eichel, Luke and Quinn Quinn Hughes and Caufield's DB page - you'll quickly realise that they did not complete 3 years at their Unis.

Top prospect will rarely spend the whole 3 years...especially when you can sign a 900K 3y contract that is more than what most people accumulate their entire lives.

"wasting time to enroll" brother please, they get approached and offered scholarships.

lol you got a money-line or parley about him finishing his tuition? I see that you are new here, but with that attitude you are not gonna have a good time.

You getting angry alone for no reason. My brother in christ this is a hockey blog.

Celebrinin went to NCAA before being drafted not after.....
The list of players there, you realize you listed guys who spent 2 years in the NCAA after draft. Which puts him out of this acgm.
If he was planning on going pro, why even apply to NCAA when he's draft eligible this year?
the odds simply aren't in your favor he's going to 1 and done but you have a hard time accepting that.
Apr. 4 at 4:24 p.m.
I post sometimes
The list of players there,

Celebrinin went to NCAA before being drafted not after.....
The list of players there, you realize you listed guys who spent 2 years in the NCAA after draft. Which puts him out of this acgm.
If he was planning on going pro, why even apply to NCAA when he's draft eligible this year?
the odds simply aren't in your favor he's going to 1 and done but you have a hard time accepting that.

It's not unheard of and will ultimately depends on his play during his first year. If he scores 45 goals in 33 games next year... I doubt that the habs would leave him in the NCAA for an extra year.

If he ends the season with 25 goals, 25 pass in 35 games but he is -75, then yeah, they might let him dev his D game a bit more in the NCAA.

TBH, habs are not competing for another 3 years - so there is no rush and I expect them to make the appropriate decision with his development... if they draft him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll