Forums/Armchair-GM

Players worth targetting

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 5, 2024
Published: Apr. 5, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It's hard to move players out of Detroit because they have their own pipeline and it's pretty darn full. That being said, there are a few players I feel their management has overlooked and kept in the AHL too long. We could create opportunities for those players in Montreal and I would go get them if the prices were fair.

The other part of this is that Detroit is ready to compete and has little to no interest in draft picks coming back because they are aware that it will take any player picked 3-5 years to bring value to their roster and their window may only be 5 years.

Let me know what you think of these targets and deals?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Berggren, Jonatan [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Detroit's most NHL-ready prospect. By all rights this kid should have spent the year in the NHL. He has produced 0.5ppg when in the NHL this season and yet they keep sending him back down.
DET
  1. Mesar, Filip
Additional Details:
From a skill perspective I think Mesar & Berggren are around the same level. While Mesar is earlier in his development and needs at least 1 year in the AHL, Berggren is ready to play in the NHL today and has nothing left to learn in the AHL.

Detroit does this because they get a player with a slightly higher draft pedigree who is not in a rush to get to the NHL because they gain 3 years of team control.

Habs do this because they get an NHL-ready player today who I believe can take a top 6 role or at least a middle 6 role and run with it.
MTL
  1. Söderblom, Elmer
Additional Details:
Physical freak Elmer is a bit of a unicorn. He may turn out to be the next Tage Thompson, or he may turn out to be the next Paul Gaustad. Either way the NHL team with the smallest forward crop can use an infusion of size and hopefully skill.

He's hardly a perfect player of a finished product, and there is some risk he never makes the NHL, but I would argue the risk is small.
DET
  1. Barron, Justin [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Similar to Berggren, Barron has played fairly well up in the NHL but has not been able to lock down a spot with the Habs having so many NHL-ready young prospects.

With Petry's time in the NHL sunsetting, Barron could be a good long term blueliner who still has middle pair upside.

I would argue Barron is more of a lock to stick in the NHL than Soderblom so I think this is a good deal for Detroit
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$71,617,083$1,022,500$3,977,500$15,882,917
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
RFA
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$878,333$878,333
LW, C
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 5 at 9:27 a.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: jonh514
Why not BOTH F. Xhekaj & Soderblom. The reality is that our top 6 is gonna be smaller than the league average if we compete in the next few years. We will need to balance that out on the blue line and the bottom 6.

Other than Xhekaj & Tuch, the Habs have no bigger body prospects in the forward pipeline.

Don't worry there are plenty of those players on the FA and trade Market. Are stuck with Anderson and Gally on the 4th for 2-3 seasons.
Apr. 5 at 9:29 a.m.
You don't expect Kane to re-sign?

I do but I'm hoping Sprong doesn't. I think he would cost too much given his point production but he isn't worth it considering his play away from the puck. I have Berggren slotted in at 3RW.
jonh514 liked this.
Apr. 5 at 9:31 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: MTLaveragefan
I think our 4th and 3rd line need an effusion of size like Soderbloom.

Although, to be fair, Florian Xhekaj will probably fit the bill and is already in the system. I think we have no assurances that Rienbacher and Mailloux will hit at NHL level - so Barron is -right now- the only NHL-ready RHD rookie that fits the rebuild.

So down the road, I can see the habs trading him if Reinbacher and Mailloux beat him in the line-up... until then, I think he stays.

Regarding Barron. I think your point is very fair and perhaps I am jumping the gun here. I DO think Mailloux & Reinbacher have passed him already but until we see it play out, we never know.

I would argue both Soderblom & Barron's values are at an all time low. It makes sense to try and sell high, but if Soderblom hits in the NHL, he's gonna be a beast.
Apr. 5 at 9:34 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Lancebmx
I do but I'm hoping Sprong doesn't. I think he would cost too much given his point production but he isn't worth it considering his play away from the puck. I have Berggren slotted in at 3RW.

It's nice having a player like Berggren on your 3rd line. I'm hoping the Habs make enough moves this offseason to keep Roy on the 3rd line as well.
Apr. 5 at 9:49 a.m.
Rebuilding
I don't own a PlayStation. Do you have any concrete concerns about the deals, or are you just complaining because you don't like the name recognition.

Kent Hughes want to build a fast team, he mentionned it. Seize + speed. Trading Filip Mesar, MTL 1st rounder in 2022, a really close friend of Juraj Slafkovsky isn't something realistic for a guy like Berggren. Filip Mesar is a crafty player, with top 6 offensive upside. He is a project, he will need a couple years in Laval, but they knew that when they drafted him.
The second trade, Soderblom has seize but have skating issue. MTL traded Tyler Toffoli because he was a bad skater, they aren't trading a guy they TARGETED in the Arturri Lehkonen trade for a player who doesn't fit the style we are heading. You say MTL only have F. Xhekaj and Luke Tuch as power forward, but Emil Heineman can hit and has better tools than the last two mentionned. Like I said, the trade value wise might be fair, you just ignored (or you weren't aware because you don't follow the Habs closely) the facts I mentionned
Apr. 5 at 9:58 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Habs_22_14_20
Kent Hughes want to build a fast team, he mentionned it. Seize + speed. Trading Filip Mesar, MTL 1st rounder in 2022, a really close friend of Juraj Slafkovsky isn't something realistic for a guy like Berggren. Filip Mesar is a crafty player, with top 6 offensive upside. He is a project, he will need a couple years in Laval, but they knew that when they drafted him.
The second trade, Soderblom has seize but have skating issue. MTL traded Tyler Toffoli because he was a bad skater, they aren't trading a guy they TARGETED in the Arturri Lehkonen trade for a player who doesn't fit the style we are heading. You say MTL only have F. Xhekaj and Luke Tuch as power forward, but Emil Heineman can hit and has better tools than the last two mentionned. Like I said, the trade value wise might be fair, you just ignored (or you weren't aware because you don't follow the Habs closely) the facts I mentionned

So let me re-state your arguments back to you.

Mesar is better than Berggren because:

1) He's friends with Slafkovsky
2) He's a fast skater

Would it surprise you to know that Berggren was one of the best skaters in his draft and is probably one of the top 3 skaters in the AHL today in terms of acceleration and edgework? Skating is his number 1 skill.

I think Juraj will not have a problem making friends. I'm sure Nick & Cole already love playing with him. You think they don't call him if they're going out on a Saturday night?

Habs traded Tyler Toffoli because he was a bad skater:

1) They traded Toffoli because he was the player with a UFA status at the end of his contract that they could get the best return for.
2) Toffoli had a career best year and 34 goals last season. You think anyone gives a crap about his skating?
JoeROFLCOPTER liked this.
Apr. 5 at 10:16 a.m.
Rebuilding
So let me re-state your arguments back to you.

Mesar is better than Berggren because:

1) He's friends with Slafkovsky
2) He's a fast skater

Would it surprise you to know that Berggren was one of the best skaters in his draft and is probably one of the top 3 skaters in the AHL today in terms of acceleration and edgework? Skating is his number 1 skill.

I think Juraj will not have a problem making friends. I'm sure Nick & Cole already love playing with him. You think they don't call him if they're going out on a Saturday night?

Habs traded Tyler Toffoli because he was a bad skater:

1) They traded Toffoli because he was the player with a UFA status at the end of his contract that they could get the best return for.
2) Toffoli had a career best year and 34 goals last season. You think anyone gives a crap about his skating?

I never said Mesar was better than Berggren, I said they like Mesar (they drafted him), he is a close friend of Juraj Slafkovsky. For those reasons, I they believe they would move him for a guy like Berggren. Would they trade Mesar in a package for a player like Trevor Zegras or Martin Necas ? 100%.

Toffoli was traded with 2 more years remaining on his contract. He is still playing under the contract Bergevin gave him … and yes, Kent traded him because 1. he was not a good skater and 2. someone gave him what he was asking for
Apr. 5 at 11:49 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
I never said Mesar was better than Berggren, I said they like Mesar (they drafted him), he is a close friend of Juraj Slafkovsky. For those reasons, I they believe they would move him for a guy like Berggren. Would they trade Mesar in a package for a player like Trevor Zegras or Martin Necas ? 100%.

Toffoli was traded with 2 more years remaining on his contract. He is still playing under the contract Bergevin gave him … and yes, Kent traded him because 1. he was not a good skater and 2. someone gave him what he was asking for

Show me one interview/clip where any current member of the Habs organization (at the time of the trade or since) says Toffoli was traded because he's a poor skater...

If Berggren is better than Mesar than what is your problem with the deal. You think Slafkovsky is gonna stop trying hard because Mesar is playing in Grand Rapids instead of Laval? Is Caufield bad because Zegras plays in Anaheim?
Apr. 5 at 11:54 a.m.
Rebuilding
Show me one interview/clip where any current member of the Habs organization (at the time of the trade or since) says Toffoli was traded because he's a poor skater...

If Berggren is better than Mesar than what is your problem with the deal. You think Slafkovsky is gonna stop trying hard because Mesar is playing in Grand Rapids instead of Laval? Is Caufield bad because Zegras plays in Anaheim?

Berggren hasn't proved enough at the NHL level to trade Filip Mesar for him
Kent Hughes said they are looking to be a team based on speed, after he traded Toffoli. I find the press conference like that lol, and I won't do research for you, there's a dozen of guys like you on Capfriendly. I will try to leave you in what you believe is realistic, even tho I disagree (basing on what management are saying in press conference)
Apr. 5 at 12:32 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
I did a thread recently discussing Mesar:

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/820731

Trading Mesar for Berggren is a mistake, they are similar players in terms of style of play, and Berggren is almost 4 years older than Mesar (Mesar just turned 20 in JAN, Berggren is turning 24 in JUL).

As someone else mentioned, the fact Mesar is Slafs best friend shouldn't discounted, not because they are friends, but due to their chemistry of having played together for almost their entire hockey lives, up until Slafs draft year... I mentioned it in my thread about him, but Mesar has played (and they were on the same line together) with Slafkovsky for almost every Slovakian international team (U18, U16, U12, etc.), and they dominated.

As for Soderblom, I wrote in another thread this morning that he doesn't overly interest me, not for Barron anyway. Maybe for Kovacevic, sure. Soderblom for DET is a low risk (being a 6th rd pick) high reward player. If MTL were to send Barron for him (which is definitely selling low on Barron), Soderblom becomes a high risk (due to the cost to acquire him) high reward player. and nobody would be satisfied Soderblom essentially becoming a McCarron 2.0, after sending a 1st rd quality player (which he still is) in Barron.
Just because Reinbacher and Mailloux are above Barron on the RD depth chart in the eyes of Habs fans, shouldn't automatically mean Barron is available at a discounted price... The guy still put up almost 30pts in 87 career NHL games... He's very much still a top4 potential Dman...
jonh514 and Habs_22_14_20 liked this.
Apr. 5 at 1:14 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Berggren hasn't proved enough at the NHL level to trade Filip Mesar for him
Kent Hughes said they are looking to be a team based on speed, after he traded Toffoli. I find the press conference like that lol, and I won't do research for you, there's a dozen of guys like you on Capfriendly. I will try to leave you in what you believe is realistic, even tho I disagree (basing on what management are saying in press conference)

So just to re-state my understanding of what you wrote.

Kent Hughes has at many points said he wants to ice a fast team (nevermind that he also at numerous times clarified that speed of skating is good, but he's talking about speed of mental calculation and executing because a player who reads the play ice quickly can make decisions quicker and can overcome any deficiencies in skating like David Savard or Mark Stone).

You take that to infer that the Toffoli trade happened because Toffoli was not "fast" in either of the above ways. Even though Kent Hughes did not specifically say that, you have "connected those dots" and I am not as smart as you because I did not connect those same dots.

Let me ask you then... in order to score 71 points and 34 goals in a season... Doesn't the speed at which you read and react to the play on the ice need to be pretty darn fast? Especially if you're not the fastest skater? Your computer really has to be crunching data quickly to beat out all those other guys, right?

No need to answer. You clearly are allergic to admitting you are wrong and I wouldn't want to send you into anaphylactic shock...
Apr. 5 at 1:19 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Blazingbat11
I did a thread recently discussing Mesar:

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/820731

Trading Mesar for Berggren is a mistake, they are similar players in terms of style of play, and Berggren is almost 4 years older than Mesar (Mesar just turned 20 in JAN, Berggren is turning 24 in JUL).

As someone else mentioned, the fact Mesar is Slafs best friend shouldn't discounted, not because they are friends, but due to their chemistry of having played together for almost their entire hockey lives, up until Slafs draft year... I mentioned it in my thread about him, but Mesar has played (and they were on the same line together) with Slafkovsky for almost every Slovakian international team (U18, U16, U12, etc.), and they dominated.

As for Soderblom, I wrote in another thread this morning that he doesn't overly interest me, not for Barron anyway. Maybe for Kovacevic, sure. Soderblom for DET is a low risk (being a 6th rd pick) high reward player. If MTL were to send Barron for him (which is definitely selling low on Barron), Soderblom becomes a high risk (due to the cost to acquire him) high reward player. and nobody would be satisfied Soderblom essentially becoming a McCarron 2.0, after sending a 1st rd quality player (which he still is) in Barron.
Just because Reinbacher and Mailloux are above Barron on the RD depth chart in the eyes of Habs fans, shouldn't automatically mean Barron is available at a discounted price... The guy still put up almost 30pts in 87 career NHL games... He's very much still a top4 potential Dman...

Thanks for sharing. I'm taking a look at the thread now!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll