Forums/Armchair-GM

Better but still bad

Created by: sharcuda22
Team: 2024-25 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 9, 2024
Published: Apr. 9, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1.) I imagine the sharks sign at least 3 UFA’s for the forward core, in this iteration I have opted for scoring wingers and Lafferty. I do not think the sharks will actually get marchy but maybe someone who is good for forty points.
2.) The bottom six actually has to be NHL caliber this year or we are just gonna get dog walked every game. I am not trying to win games, but we cant have a -1000000 goal differential.
3.) We neeed a better #1 dman than Mario Ferraro, we should look to a cap strapped team that needs to sacrifice someone. While Girard will certainly not help us beat the easy to play against allegations it will be a move of this ilk i believe.
4.) We are so so so screwed when we dont land celebrini and couture is retired. But this is ACGM lets dream a little.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$1,750,000
1$950,000
1$950,000
2$800,000
2$1,025,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
2$775,000
2$7,000,000
2$2,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Celebrini, Macklin
3$950,000
Trades
SJS
  1. 2025 6th round pick (NSH)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$70,556,667$0$1,250,000$17,143,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RW
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
RFA - 2
Celebrini, Macklin
$950,000$950,000
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW, LW
UFA
$950,000$950,000
C, LW
RFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, C, LW
UFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
RFA
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, C
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,350,000$2,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LD
RFA
$1,025,000$1,025,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 9 at 5:25 p.m.
Stovetop
uh I'll take Graf, Gushchin, Smith, Cardwell, etc. over Lafferty
Apr. 9 at 6:25 p.m.
The Avs won't just be giving Girard away.
Apr. 9 at 6:51 p.m.
RecycleShark
I like the addition of Lafferty. He and Duclair might actually sign with the Sharks. Marchy prolly not. Duclair seemed like a good role model when he was here. We definitely need some true top 4 D. Mario can't do it all. Not sure Girard is the right one. Sharks don't have much to trade that should be traded, so maybe a UFA top 4 D or two. I think we need veteran D men more than forwards. As Astovetop said we have young forwards to test/develop.
sharcuda22 liked this.
Apr. 9 at 7:11 p.m.
Bad Take Bot v1.02
Quoting: TJTwolf

what if they ask really nicely?
TJTwolf and sharcuda22 liked this.
Apr. 9 at 7:17 p.m.
Quoting: Klara
what if they ask really nicely?

Only if they put some sugar and a cherry on it lol.
Apr. 9 at 7:42 p.m.
Representing the 505

I still think he's no higher up the list than 4th for possible trades:

1. Manson
2. Wood
3. Colton
4. Girard
sharcuda22 liked this.
Apr. 9 at 7:50 p.m.
sharcuda22
Quoting: AStovetop
uh I'll take Graf, Gushchin, Smith, Cardwell, etc. over Lafferty

Except Graf Smith and Cardwell might (likely won’t) not be NHL ready. I do find it hard to consistently fit 3 small offense first wingers. Guschin will be first call up if injury and will play with smith in the minors.
RecycleShark liked this.
Apr. 9 at 7:51 p.m.
sharcuda22

Would be a lot cooler if you did, would pay a third at most for him given how much the sharks need the high end picks
Apr. 9 at 10:09 p.m.
Quoting: sharcuda22
Would be a lot cooler if you did, would pay a third at most for him given how much the sharks need the high end picks

Keep the picks then. You aren't getting Girard for a third let alone free. Not even close.
sharcuda22 liked this.
Apr. 9 at 10:12 p.m.
Quoting: NMAvsFan
I still think he's no higher up the list than 4th for possible trades:

1. Manson
2. Wood
3. Colton
4. Girard

I know you're big on G but that list is definitely tradeable. All of them for different reasons. They simply won't be just giving any of them away regardless of needing the cap space.
NMAvsFan liked this.
Apr. 9 at 11:13 p.m.
Representing the 505
I know you're big on G but that list is definitely tradeable. All of them for different reasons. They simply won't be just giving any of them away regardless of needing the cap space.

Exactly my point: if he's lower on the list of guys they'd consider trading, it's going to cost a lot.
TJTwolf liked this.
Apr. 9 at 11:39 p.m.
Quoting: NMAvsFan
Exactly my point: if he's lower on the list of guys they'd consider trading, it's going to cost a lot.

Ah, I follow your meaning now. Been a long day lol.
NMAvsFan liked this.
Apr. 10 at 11:14 a.m.
Stovetop
Except Graf Smith and Cardwell might (likely won’t) not be NHL ready. I do find it hard to consistently fit 3 small offense first wingers. Guschin will be first call up if injury and will play with smith in the minors.

Graf has looked great, obviously he's not guaranteed a spot next year but he's made a very good case for it. I'm not saying ALL three get into the lineup, I'm saying any one of them should be in that spot over Lafferty. Smith should not be going to the AHL, that would be a waste of a year on his ELC. He'll be back at college, but I'd still prefer him over Lafferty if he bulks up in the summer. Gushchin they need to be careful with, he deserves NHL time and has looked fantastic every call up, if they keep him there much longer he'll want out of the org. And Cardwell plays a harder game than Lafferty, even if he's not the biggest guy, he plays a Goodrow style game.

My point is more that the Sharks have had to play cap dump/expiring vets over young guys because of rules on how many vets can play in the AHL. If Hoffman and Labanc expired last year, they'd have a lot more flexibility to have integrated the younger players into the NHL this year
Apr. 10 at 4:44 p.m.
sharcuda22
Graf has looked great, obviously he's not guaranteed a spot next year but he's made a very good case for it. I'm not saying ALL three get into the lineup, I'm saying any one of them should be in that spot over Lafferty. Smith should not be going to the AHL, that would be a waste of a year on his ELC. He'll be back at college, but I'd still prefer him over Lafferty if he bulks up in the summer. Gushchin they need to be careful with, he deserves NHL time and has looked fantastic every call up, if they keep him there much longer he'll want out of the org. And Cardwell plays a harder game than Lafferty, even if he's not the biggest guy, he plays a Goodrow style game.

My point is more that the Sharks have had to play cap dump/expiring vets over young guys because of rules on how many vets can play in the AHL. If Hoffman and Labanc expired last year, they'd have a lot more flexibility to have integrated the younger players into the NHL this year

Nobody (forwards) got stopped from playing in the NHL this year. While I did think that Guschin should have gotten a call up he got hurt right around the time it would have happened. Graf will definitely need some time in the AHL to get bigger and adjust to the speed, which is fine he doesnt need to be ready right now. Cardwell certainly could fit in but I’d worry about relying on him in that spot all season as unfair, there is no need to rush these guys. Smith certainly could benefit from time in the AHL, play a lot more games - iron out the defensive side of his game and figure out life after Leonard and Perrault - and more time in the weight room.

In the previous post I was suggest the 3 small wingers would be Eklund bordeleau and Guschin. The sharks absolutely need to be able to play more competitive hockey next year or it will harm the development of our prospects, it’s not just about getting them minutes. And the Cuda need to make the playoffs next year and smith helps them do that. It is also worth noting that i have 6 1st or 2nd year NHLer’s in this team and that is a lot, the kids are still getting an opportunity in this team. Even more get call ups after selling at the deadline too.
Apr. 10 at 5:53 p.m.
Stovetop
Nobody (forwards) got stopped from playing in the NHL this year. While I did think that Guschin should have gotten a call up he got hurt right around the time it would have happened. Graf will definitely need some time in the AHL to get bigger and adjust to the speed, which is fine he doesnt need to be ready right now. Cardwell certainly could fit in but I’d worry about relying on him in that spot all season as unfair, there is no need to rush these guys. Smith certainly could benefit from time in the AHL, play a lot more games - iron out the defensive side of his game and figure out life after Leonard and Perrault - and more time in the weight room.

In the previous post I was suggest the 3 small wingers would be Eklund bordeleau and Guschin. The sharks absolutely need to be able to play more competitive hockey next year or it will harm the development of our prospects, it’s not just about getting them minutes. And the Cuda need to make the playoffs next year and smith helps them do that. It is also worth noting that i have 6 1st or 2nd year NHLer’s in this team and that is a lot, the kids are still getting an opportunity in this team. Even more get call ups after selling at the deadline too.

I don't disagree that having Smith in the AHL would be better but why would he sign just to go to the AHL? He'll likely expect to go up right away and has control, given what we say with Cutter. So he really has the control. I think mostl likely he'll do what Beniers did and sign for the last 5-10 games (if BC doesn't go as far as this year) to play in the NHL and burn a year off his contract. I disagree about Graf, he's looked better than he did in college. Extremely composed and really tenacious on both sides of the puck. Also Bailey fits the bill of big, fast, and hard to play against, more so than Lafferty. And Gushchin is healthy now and the Sharks have injuries so they could bring him up on an emergency basis so I'm not sure why he's not
Apr. 10 at 6:06 p.m.
sharcuda22
I don't disagree that having Smith in the AHL would be better but why would he sign just to go to the AHL? He'll likely expect to go up right away and has control, given what we say with Cutter. So he really has the control. I think mostl likely he'll do what Beniers did and sign for the last 5-10 games (if BC doesn't go as far as this year) to play in the NHL and burn a year off his contract. I disagree about Graf, he's looked better than he did in college. Extremely composed and really tenacious on both sides of the puck. Also Bailey fits the bill of big, fast, and hard to play against, more so than Lafferty. And Gushchin is healthy now and the Sharks have injuries so they could bring him up on an emergency basis so I'm not sure why he's not

Bailey is not hard to play against lmao that guy takes plays off for sure. Sturm is hard to play against and kunin is hard to play against, eklund is hard to play against. We still have two forwards consistently missing games, but if zadina is out the last five games i think he might. I also think you are really looking at graf’s games through teal tinted glasses rn. He has been good, for someone playing straight out of college and is showing a lot to be happy with but he definitely definitely needs to adjust to the speed and he’s even admitted this. It’s okey for him to take time in the AHL to figure it out. He really could become a middle six forward that is good two ways and good on PP2 and potential pk although that has yet to be determined. But he is gonna need some time to bulk a little.

Smith might be good enough to play in the NHL right now, but I am sure he is committed to his development and if it’s the best thing for him Im sure he would see that. However he does have all the power in the world, and it wont hurt at all for him to and the sharks to let him simmer.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll