SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Explanation in thread - Do I finally win over mokumboi

Created by: Augustus
Published: Apr. 10 at 11:58 p.m.
Salary Cap: $87,500,000
Season Days: 186/186 (100%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has been rejected because one of the teams does not meet the minimum 24 skater requirement

Logo of the New Jersey DevilsNew Jersey Devils

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Bahl, KevinNew Jersey DevilsNHL-$1,050,000011---0000--
2025 1st round pick (Logo of the New Jersey DevilsNJD)---100------
2026 4th round pick (Logo of the Winnipeg JetsWPG)---001------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Binnington, JordanSt. Louis BluesNHL-$6,000,000011-------00
Tucker, TylerSt. Louis BluesNHL-$800,000011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$21,312,5001425663612
Change-$5,750,000111-10-1
Final$15,562,500 (↓)15 (↑)26 (↑)67 (↑)2 (↓)611 (↓)000

Logo of the St. Louis BluesSt. Louis Blues

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Binnington, JordanSt. Louis BluesNHL-$6,000,000011-------00
Tucker, TylerSt. Louis BluesNHL-$800,000011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Bahl, KevinNew Jersey DevilsNHL-$1,050,000011---0000--
2025 1st round pick (Logo of the New Jersey DevilsNJD)---100------
2026 4th round pick (Logo of the Winnipeg JetsWPG)---001------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$12,926,9052030663611
Change$5,750,000-1-1-1101
Final$18,676,905 (↑)19 (↓)29 (↓)65 (↓)4 (↑)612 (↑)000
Apr. 10 at 11:58 p.m.
It's been a long time coming mok... something's gotta give, you have to like SOMETHING I post grin

Why St. Louis does it:

Joel Hofer is ready to assume 1A duties, if not full-on starting duties for 2024-25. Trading Binnington frees up $6m in cap space. Kevin Bahl is an upgrade over fellow big boy Tyler Tucker, and is still just 24 years old, fitting in with their re-tool. The Blues go to the free agent market for their backup goalie. The strongest candidate to either back up or 1B with Hofer is Alex Nedeljkovic, 28 years old and primed to get a two or three year deal for the cause. Secondary candidates include Cam Talbot, Kevin Lankinen, Kaapo Kahkonen, Scott Wedgewood, Calvin Pickard, David Rittich and Anthony Stolarz. On top of the D swap and goalie move, the Blues receive New Jersey's 2025 1st round pick (I doubt they give up 2024's), and one of three picks the Devils have in the 2026 4th round. This enables them to continue adding additional pieces for the future, keeping the system strong, a la Jim Nill in Dallas.

Hofer - Nedeljkovic

Leddy - Parayko
Krug - Kessel
Bahl - Faulk

Why New Jersey does it:

Obviously, they get an upgrade in net, hoping Binnington's play this year translates to further success with the Devils. He has won a Cup. Tucker replaces Bahl on the back end. The Devils may want to add a D-man in free agency still for depth behind Hughes and Siegenthaler on the left side. They do this without giving up one of their promising young forwards.

Binnington - Allen

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Nemec
Tucker/UFA signing - Marino

Don't just look at this on paper folks. The Blues should be ready to move on from Binnington, but shouldn't expect to get the world for him, as teams will still be slightly wary of his rage-fuelled past lol. Blues get cap savings and continue the youth movement without destroying their goaltending, while the Devils get the big fish without spending too much in assets.
Apr. 11 at 1:01 a.m.
This feels like it doesn’t really make that much sense for the blues. They aren’t looking to fully rebuild so they aren’t going to want delayed firsts. I don’t hate bahl, but he doesn’t make the trade worth it. Binnington also doesn’t need to be moved. We can continue to let Hofer develop in a sheltered role and continue to earn his starts. Not to mention he probably still needs at least another year before becoming a 1a goalie.
mokumboi liked this.
Apr. 11 at 1:23 a.m.
Quoting: Tsmash
This feels like it doesn’t really make that much sense for the blues. They aren’t looking to fully rebuild so they aren’t going to want delayed firsts. I don’t hate bahl, but he doesn’t make the trade worth it. Binnington also doesn’t need to be moved. We can continue to let Hofer develop in a sheltered role and continue to earn his starts. Not to mention he probably still needs at least another year before becoming a 1a goalie.

Hm, perhaps I am rushing the goaltending thing a bit (I had kinda parsed over the fact Hofer has only played 28/29 games this year). But let's say the goaltending part does work, then this isn't really a rebuilding move as much as it is simply adding more assets. Even with a re-tool instead of a rebuild, 1st round picks are always useful for giving the future team more options. I use the Stars model as they have been highly successful for several years now, but still stocked the cupboards for the future at the same time. Stankoven just made the jump late this year, and they still have Mavrik Bourque to come up front, Lian Bichsel on D, Harley wasn't around when they went to the Final in the covid year(s), but is just coming into his own as a star D-man.

It would behoove the Blues to not rely just on what they have currently in the system, but to continue adding to it.

But good points.
Apr. 11 at 1:31 a.m.
mokumboi
Heh. Love the callout in the title, but the trade is a huge no. The Blues have no need to move Binnington and the offer is not interesting as it pertains (or fails to pertain) to their current needs. They certainly dont need to go looking to trade him. Cap space is not an urgent need and will become less so in the coming seasons. A deferred 1st and another 3LD is not going to sway Army, nor should it.

When Zherenko is ready and Hofer is capable of being the guy, then maybe there's a discussion.

Feel free to find me a Krug, Faulk or Schenn trade, though.
Apr. 11 at 1:34 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Heh. Love the callout in the title, but the trade is a huge no. The Blues have no need to move Binnington and the offer is not interesting as it pertains (or fails to pertain) to their current needs. They certainly dont need to go looking to trade him. Cap space is not an urgent need and will become less so in the coming seasons. A deferred 1st and another 3LD is not going to sway Army, nor should it.

When Zherenko is ready and Hofer is capable of being the guy, then maybe there's a discussion.

Feel free to find me a Krug, Faulk or Schenn trade, though.

Yeah I'll never truly understand the Blues' needs like you guys do, it's just the way it is lol. For instance, never even heard of Zherenko. As for Krug, Faulk and Schenn, Count Dooku once said "It may be difficult to secure (their) release..."

Anyway, back to the drawing board!

Edit: I have heard of Zherenko, as I keep my own spreadsheets with the teams' signed players, but only heard of him while I was typing his name.
mokumboi liked this.
Apr. 11 at 1:41 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Augustus
Yeah I'll never truly understand the Blues' needs like you guys do, it's just the way it is lol. For instance, never even heard of Zherenko. As for Krug, Faulk and Schenn, Count Dooku once said "It may be difficult to secure (their) release..."

Anyway, back to the drawing board!

Zherenko is perhaps as good as Hofer. I assume he'll get the call the next time the Blues have a goalie out, but Binnington and Hofer haven't missed a start in eons.
Augustus liked this.
Apr. 11 at 1:59 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Zherenko is perhaps as good as Hofer. I assume he'll get the call the next time the Blues have a goalie out, but Binnington and Hofer haven't missed a start in eons.

Sounds like a pretty good tandem to come then!
Apr. 11 at 2:27 a.m.
mokumboi
Sounds like a pretty good tandem to come then!

Yeah, and now Ellis has surprisingly raised his game, too. I was never super high on him, but he could prove me wrong. I doubt the Blues will need to go outside the organization for a goalie for a very long time.
Apr. 11 at 6:20 a.m.
New Jersey must be slang for overpay-for-goaltenders
DevilsInDisguise liked this.
Apr. 11 at 11:37 a.m.
Quoting: Element23VM
New Jersey must be slang for overpay-for-goaltenders

In the absence of an explanation, I have to assume this is a Mox-esque defense of your favorite team's assets.

A starting goalie and a 3LD for a 3LD (let's say, a "number 4 or 5 defenceman", in that parlance), a likely later 1st and a 4th. A Cup winning goalie at that. I'll wait to hear more, if you have more. I've shown to be receptive.

...Though I do appreciate a good quip.
Apr. 11 at 12:02 p.m.
In the absence of an explanation, I have to assume this is a Mox-esque defense of your favorite team's assets.

A starting goalie and a 3LD for a 3LD (let's say, a "number 4 or 5 defenceman", in that parlance), a likely later 1st and a 4th. A Cup winning goalie at that. I'll wait to hear more, if you have more. I've shown to be receptive.

Binnington walks a fine line between liable and reliable. My complaint with him is the same as Markstrom... he's "not all there" sometimes and because of that, his team's fate teeters on whether he's in a good or bad place. In New Jersey, he's going to be in a bad place, because they don't really protect the net, which means he's probably going to be pretty pissed off with the guys playing in front of him, and he most certainly doesn't appear shy about those things.

I'd entertain giving them a top 12 protected first next year for the guy, but not with the D... the 4th... whatever, that's a scratch ticket
Augustus and DevilsInDisguise liked this.
Apr. 11 at 3:21 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

If I had to rank goalies going forward, I don't think binnington cracks my top 15.

If he was younger: sure (
If he was better: sure
If he was cheaper: sure

But 6 mill, 30+, guy who I view as in the 15-20 range. Does NOT return a 1st+ in my eyes.

Frankly the simple thing is this. Ullmark should be available for approximately a 1st. So the question is. would I take you over ullmark.

With binnington, markstrom, etc. The answer is a resounding NO.
DevilsInDisguise liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll