SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

May 6 at 10:48 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
Florida won the Tkachuck trade. Do you think we are going to win a Marner trade? We literally have the GM who lost that trade making the decisions.

Because Huberdeau wasn't as good as it seemed... I would argue Marner's in that same category, Treliving needs to find a Weegar type player and a solid top 6 forward not signed to 10.5 mill and Toronto wins the Marner deal
May 6 at 11:26 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Bert and Domi had more goals than Marner did and both were cheaper against the cap... Bert had more points and so did Domi...

Both of them were also not caught lacking on the goal that costed them the series (for the 5th time this series)...

Bert and Domi tied TO's lead for points with AM34 (but AM34 gets more credit as he played injured and 2 less games)

Matthews made a difference when hurt... G3: 8 hits, multiple grade A chances, G4: 6 hits: multiple good chances... G7: 1 assist and was the only line to have consistent pressure on Boston... That difference wasn't enough...

Trade Marner, Fire Keefe, Fire Shanny and hope Carolina does sh1t agaisnt the Rangers and throw a ton of money at RBA's way

Bert and Domi had more goals than Marner did and both were cheaper against the cap... Bert had more points and so did Domi...

Both of them were also not caught lacking on the goal that costed them the series (for the 5th time this series)...

Bert and Domi tied TO's lead for points with AM34 (but AM34 gets more credit as he played injured and 2 less games)

Matthews made a difference when hurt... G3: 8 hits, multiple grade A chances, G4: 6 hits: multiple good chances... G7: 1 assist and was the only line to have consistent pressure on Boston... That difference wasn't enough...

Trade Marner, Fire Keefe, Fire Shanny and hope Carolina does sh1t agaisnt the Rangers and throw a ton of money at RBA's way

I think you trade Marner if you get good value. Trading for the sake of trading him is dumb
May 6 at 11:26 a.m.
Rip
Because Huberdeau wasn't as good as it seemed... I would argue Marner's in that same category, Treliving needs to find a Weegar type player and a solid top 6 forward not signed to 10.5 mill and Toronto wins the Marner deal

You hate Marner with passion that exceeds your passion for loving the Leafs. Your opinion is as jaded as they come.
May 6 at 11:38 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I think you trade Marner if you get good value. Trading for the sake of trading him is dumb

If you get a Weegar type defensemen or a high draft pick +, you accept it and do everything in your power to get Marner to waive
May 6 at 11:38 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
You hate Marner with passion that exceeds your passion for loving the Leafs. Your opinion is as jaded as they come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjbSJ1Y6U5E
May 6 at 12:13 p.m.
Rip
If you get a Weegar type defensemen or a high draft pick +, you accept it and do everything in your power to get Marner to waive

A 30 year old signed till he's 38 is about as bad a situation as I expect. And the legions of leaf fans who will be so happy that they influenced the team to do so will be immediately disappointed.
May 6 at 12:18 p.m.
Rip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjbSJ1Y6U5E

It was such an innocent looking play. A dump in, that I think Rielly expected to go behind the net. Pasta wasn't Marner's man on the play so he doesn't deserve any fault there. Once again but if he's in the same building we know you are blaming him. He'll be the reason goals get scored even when he's not on the team.

Most aren't saying anything but what the hell was sammy doing there. He want down to his goal line and didn't react until it was too late. He also let in a bad goal for the tieing goal.

I am not giving anyone a pass but a couple of things to keep in mind to make sure logic is driving the decisions and not emotions. Sammy shouldn't have been in net for any playoff games let alone 5 of 7. Keefe is a brutal coach. Willy and Matthews were not healthy for most of the series. I don't think Marner really was either but whatever there.

So to pin it all on Marner like you love to do is just emotional. Yeah he doesn't get it done but he did earlier in his career? So what happened? Keefe
May 6 at 12:30 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
It was such an innocent looking play. A dump in, that I think Rielly expected to go behind the net. Pasta wasn't Marner's man on the play so he doesn't deserve any fault there. Once again but if he's in the same building we know you are blaming him. He'll be the reason goals get scored even when he's not on the team.

Most aren't saying anything but what the hell was sammy doing there. He want down to his goal line and didn't react until it was too late. He also let in a bad goal for the tieing goal.

I am not giving anyone a pass but a couple of things to keep in mind to make sure logic is driving the decisions and not emotions. Sammy shouldn't have been in net for any playoff games let alone 5 of 7. Keefe is a brutal coach. Willy and Matthews were not healthy for most of the series. I don't think Marner really was either but whatever there.

So to pin it all on Marner like you love to do is just emotional. Yeah he doesn't get it done but he did earlier in his career? So what happened? Keefe

Yes, Pastrnak wasn't Marner's man... The Bruins were doing this play time and time again, but the Leafs players impeded Boston's speed... Marner did not do that...

That goal never happens if Marner stayed with Pasternak (whom he's supposed to be faster than)

Marner's constantly in these situations... Coincidence? I don't believe in them so no
May 6 at 12:43 p.m.
Rip
Yes, Pastrnak wasn't Marner's man... The Bruins were doing this play time and time again, but the Leafs players impeded Boston's speed... Marner did not do that...

That goal never happens if Marner stayed with Pasternak (whom he's supposed to be faster than)

Marner's constantly in these situations... Coincidence? I don't believe in them so no

It's a coincidence. And he isn't at fault here. Rielly was for sure. He looked like he expected the puck to go somewhere else and then bang it was right to Pasta.

You mentioned earlier that Bertuzzi and Domi both outscored Marner. Each had 1 goal. No one scored by Willy.

Spending Marner's cap hit on two mid players wouldn't have done anything else.

As I have mentioned, if you can move Marner for a fair value trade (seems unlikely) do so. If you can't, you just can't afford to lose a trade here. Plus it would be wise to see what happens with a coach that doesn't suck.
May 6 at 1:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Elliotte Friedman on 32 thoughts, he thinks:

-There's mutual interest on Bertuzzi and Domi staying

-The Leafs want to extend McCabe

-Keefe likely out along with some assistants, Berube is a front runner

-Shanahan may be out, but wont be replaced by anyone

-Marner & the team may both be ready to move on

After Marner's comments idk about the last one but it has to be explored if true

McCabe would love to see back, I think MLSE lets Shanahan's deal expire then they dont hire a new president

Keefe and Boucher are 100% out no questions asked. Defense and PK got better as the series progressed from game 5-7 so Ryn and Chywoth might be safe

The one concern I have with bringing Domi and Bertuzzi back is you cant properly address the Dcore or goaltending

Unless Marner goes or JT retires.
May 6 at 1:04 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
It's a coincidence. And he isn't at fault here. Rielly was for sure. He looked like he expected the puck to go somewhere else and then bang it was right to Pasta.

You mentioned earlier that Bertuzzi and Domi both outscored Marner. Each had 1 goal. No one scored by Willy.

Spending Marner's cap hit on two mid players wouldn't have done anything else.

As I have mentioned, if you can move Marner for a fair value trade (seems unlikely) do so. If you can't, you just can't afford to lose a trade here. Plus it would be wise to see what happens with a coach that doesn't suck.

No, it's not a coincidence... It was on Marner for not staying with his man... Rielly was flat footed... But Marner should have gone stride for stride with Pastrnak

Bert (1) + Domi (1) = 2... 2>Marner (1)
May 6 at 1:05 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle

After Marner's comments idk about the last one but it has to be explored if true

McCabe would love to see back, I think MLSE lets Shanahan's deal expire then they dont hire a new president

Keefe and Boucher are 100% out no questions asked. Defense and PK got better as the series progressed from game 5-7 so Ryn and Chywoth might be safe

The one concern I have with bringing Domi and Bertuzzi back is you cant properly address the Dcore or goaltending

All the right things IMO
May 6 at 1:10 p.m.
Rip
No, it's not a coincidence... It was on Marner for not staying with his man... Rielly was flat footed... But Marner should have gone stride for stride with Pastrnak

Bert (1) + Domi (1) = 2... 2>Marner (1)

Pasta was not Marner's man. This is exactly the same thing like that other goal you blame him for where we was off the ice when the play happened. Brodie was the main culprit there, as well as Sammy and McCabe for going for a big, putting him completely out of position.
May 6 at 1:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
All the right things IMO

Yep Berube despite what some will say is the right guy for these boys, will hold them accountable, and I think will be the man to get them going

Blues fans to this day still believe him being fired was a mistake and it should have been Armstrong who made horrible roster choices

McCabe's a guy whose worked well here and I could see a 4.5m x 4-5 year extension

Domi and Bertuzzi are the only ? to me as if Brad cant move Marner or JT then bringing those two back will mean no true upgrade for Dcore or proper goaltending tandem

If he trades Marner or JT though that goes away and welcome back
May 6 at 1:16 p.m.
Rip

With Treliving staying, expect McCabe getting way too much and immediately being a problem. Marner I am still on the fence on. It would be such a leaf situation that he'll be traded for two lesser players who will not make up for the loss of Marner. Both will be overpaid and older. Then Marner will win and light it up outside of the TO media.

His no move clause hurts us here. Not really on value but limits us to where we can trade him.

Right now the only way Marner can save face and win fans over again would be to resign July 1 for way less than anyone thinks. 8*10 or something. If he refuses to take less than Willy then he's never going to be loved in TO. And he can't handle negativity.
May 6 at 1:18 p.m.
Rip
All the right things IMO

Berube isn't the right coach. Bertuzzi at 5+ is a mistake as well. It's just brand name "safe picks".
May 6 at 1:20 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Berube isn't the right coach. Bertuzzi at 5+ is a mistake as well. It's just brand name "safe picks".

Berube is the best option currently available with he exception of maybe Gallant... This team needs an experienced coach as well

This team also needs Bert... Whether your hate for him is making it more difficult to see that is up to you
May 6 at 1:21 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Yep Berube despite what some will say is the right guy for these boys, will hold them accountable, and I think will be the man to get them going

Blues fans to this day still believe him being fired was a mistake and it should have been Armstrong who made horrible roster choices

McCabe's a guy whose worked well here and I could see a 4.5m x 4-5 year extension

Domi and Bertuzzi are the only ? to me as if Brad cant move Marner or JT then bringing those two back will mean no true upgrade for Dcore or proper goaltending tandem

If he trades Marner or JT though that goes away and welcome back

You mentioned that both Marner and TO want to move on... Meaning you can bring both back at 4.5 and 3 mill each long-term and still have 20+ mill to upgrade everywhere else...
May 6 at 1:22 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Pasta was not Marner's man. This is exactly the same thing like that other goal you blame him for where we was off the ice when the play happened. Brodie was the main culprit there, as well as Sammy and McCabe for going for a big, putting him completely out of position.

Your inability to say Marner needed to get his man is hilarious
May 6 at 1:41 p.m.
Man..reading some of the stuff here..
I'm kinda shaking my head. Yes coaching was an issue but some of us need to stop making excuses for these players.

These current playoffs injuries were an issue but then what about last year? Or the year before? Or the year before that? My point is that Matthews and Marner in particular haven't been nearly as good as other top players around the league.

Looking at just this series for a second, Matthews had one dominant performance. Not good enough guys..it just really isn't.

Marner was mostly invisible in this series and here's why...he thrives in moments where he has time and space but when the playoffs start the first 2 things teams take away is time and space. So then Marner needs to change his game to meet the adjustments that teams make but the dude doesn't have that toughness and grit..doesn't really hit. So what exactly does he bring in the playoffs? Not much.

I'm leaving Willy out of this because he scores in every playoff series and perhaps has taken a step that the other 2 have not.

We need more and better from the top players on this team. They need to look around at their peers and ask themselves why they haven't had similar performances.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 6 at 2:03 p.m.
Rip
Your inability to say Marner needed to get his man is hilarious

Dude, in your eyes, everyone is Marner's man. The winger does not abandon the point when the defenceman should be cutting the front of the net off. Marner did nothing wrong on the play. It was a dump in from centre. The defenceman goes and retrieves the puck in that situation. The centre collapses to the slot and the wingers protect the point. This is how defensive zone coverage works.

So in that instance, Marner doesn't fly to the corner. It's not an odd man rush where you take a guy and stay with him. Figure out how hockey works.
May 6 at 2:04 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: oneX
Man..reading some of the stuff here..
I'm kinda shaking my head. Yes coaching was an issue but some of us need to stop making excuses for these players.

These current playoffs injuries were an issue but then what about last year? Or the year before? Or the year before that? My point is that Matthews and Marner in particular haven't been nearly as good as other top players around the league.

Looking at just this series for a second, Matthews had one dominant performance. Not good enough guys..it just really isn't.

Marner was mostly invisible in this series and here's why...he thrives in moments where he has time and space but when the playoffs start the first 2 things teams take away is time and space. So then Marner needs to change his game to meet the adjustments that teams make but the dude doesn't have that toughness and grit..doesn't really hit. So what exactly does he bring in the playoffs? Not much.

I'm leaving Willy out of this because he scores in every playoff series and perhaps has taken a step that the other 2 have not.

We need more and better from the top players on this team. They need to look around at their peers and ask themselves why they haven't had similar performances.

That's 100% not fair to Matthews if you're going to blame him for never showing up but giving Willy a pass

Here's the kicker: Matthews has had more dominant offensive performances, less defensive blunders and a higher GPG and PPG than Willy...

They were both not 100% in this series... (both have admitted to it) so either they both should get a pass for health related reasons or both should not
May 6 at 2:06 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Dude, in your eyes, everyone is Marner's man. The winger does not abandon the point when the defenceman should be cutting the front of the net off. Marner did nothing wrong on the play. It was a dump in from centre. The defenceman goes and retrieves the puck in that situation. The centre collapses to the slot and the wingers protect the point. This is how defensive zone coverage works.

So in that instance, Marner doesn't fly to the corner. It's not an odd man rush where you take a guy and stay with him. Figure out how hockey works.

Marner sticks with Pasternak... That was his guy in the 1-3-1 forechecking system...

It's obvious at this point, you won't take any mistakes Marner makes seriously...
Saskleaf liked this.
May 6 at 2:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
You mentioned that both Marner and TO want to move on... Meaning you can bring both back at 4.5 and 3 mill each long-term and still have 20+ mill to upgrade everywhere else...

Thats what Friedman said but Marner's comments today are hinting at him wanting to stay rather than trying to brush off the question

I dont think its as clear cut as we think as I think its 50/50 on if he's gonna waive and be dealt
May 6 at 2:15 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Thats what Friedman said but Marner's comments today are hinting at him wanting to stay rather than trying to brush off the question

I dont think its as clear cut as we think as I think its 50/50 on if he's gonna waive and be dealt

But that's what they all say... I son't think anybody's going to the media and saying: "This team sucks! I want out of here!"

You know what I mean... Gaudreau/Tkachu/Tavares, etc. said those same things all the time, then when it came to signing the contract, they dipped
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll