Forums/Armchair-GM

Next Year

Created by: exo2769
Team: 2024-25 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 27, 2024
Published: Apr. 29, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Alright Hawks fans. Hear me out on this one. Is this too many veterans to bring on to this team. Yes, 100%. BUT. we can still achieve Kyle Davidson's goals by getting a little bit better here. Having more veterans on this team right now isn't a bad thing. I have zero issues with Reaves staying a locker room guy for most of the entire season if needed. I also have zero issues with workload management for Ilya Mikheyev/Donato. We legitimately could use another veteran center and Captain in Pageau and Lee. I think the below is fair value for $24M in cap space.

This also allows for Hall/AA/etc... to be dealt at the TDL or earlier if the value presents itself.

This also means that the young guys continue to develop in a natural progression. No rushing prospects like Dach/Boqvsit. I'm not suggesting Nazar/Slaggert can't do well. I'm saying we need to develop with intent vs a let's see how he does at camp and then who knows? Even guys that crush at the AHL level like Reichel, Joey Anderson, Rem Pitlick (who we should max out on an AHL contract imo) don't 100% translate to the NHL. Let's develop with purpose.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,500,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Mikheyev, Ilya
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (VAN)
VAN
CHI
  1. Lee, Anders
  2. Pageau, Jean-Gabriel
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (NYI)
  4. 2025 2nd round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Phillips, Isaak [RFA Rights]
  2. Raddysh, Taylor [RFA Rights]
CHI
  1. Kämpf, David
  2. Reaves, Ryan
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (LAK)
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
The pick value equates to an early 2nd round pick to dump Kampf/Reaves.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$87,500,000$81,815,833$0$4,982,500$5,684,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
C
RFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
LD
RFA - 2
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
G
RFA - 2
$855,833$855,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 29 at 1:29 p.m.
Canucks pass.IMHO.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:39 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: remowilliams
Canucks pass.IMHO.

I've been seeing a lot of Mikheyev dumps. They might be able to get someone else to take less. Kyle Davidson's track record is pretty clear that he'll probably do it, but a 2nd will need to be involved. Maybe like the Dickinson trade...we could send a prospect back like Entwistle (just as an example)?
PaulKorea liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:39 p.m.
lol. I was literally just building an ACGM with almost the same exact proposals. I don't think this is too much at all, though. Something like this coincides with what KD has stated in his exit interview about improving the team, while still maintaining some of the more important guidelines he has laid out for the rebuild over the last two years.

Aside from Pesce (which is far too much salary and term, imo) you have brought in some veteran players on short term deals, made the NHL club more competitive, created roster competition for the young guys who may or may not need more development time in the AHL (and are still waiver exempt and shouldn't just be handed roster spots), and brings in more/higher-quality draft capital. All while bringing in more guys who are not injury prone, and who, presumably, are only worried about themselves and their next contracts. They are all guys who can motivate a locker room, take orders and play within a system, and are great team first guys, aside from maybe Mikheyev.

I think as far as Mikheyev goes, though, I would rather just re-sign Anderson. We don't NEED the extra 2nd round pick and Anderson has been fantastic. And for Pesce, I think for $6.5 x 5, we can probably do better than him, or just do something shorter term. Not that he isn't serviceable, but he has shown signs of decline and 5 years is a long time, especially for that amount. That contract has some potential to look pretty bad pretty quickly.
newman23 and exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:58 p.m.
Edited Apr. 29 at 2:26 p.m.
I woiuld prefer the hawks only make one of these types of moves (I definitely dont hate the idea of picking up anders lee). I think what Jones and Foligno said during their exit interviews is important - we need to have vets that actually want to be here and buy into trying to rebuild the blackhawks. I think picking up the worst contracts from playoff teams is a generally not a great way to get a guy that cares about the project in Chicago. Theres plenty of good veteran presence that will be available in free agency. I'd rather us target guys a little more intentionally. We dont really need the extra picks anyway.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 29 at 2:03 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I've been seeing a lot of Mikheyev dumps. They might be able to get someone else to take less. Kyle Davidson's track record is pretty clear that he'll probably do it, but a 2nd will need to be involved. Maybe like the Dickinson trade...we could send a prospect back like Entwistle (just as an example)?

We are not Dumping Mikheyev.Probably the same people that thought we were gonna Dump Garland.IMHO.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 29 at 2:30 p.m.
I was with you till the Leafs trade. I don't want either of those players.
exo2769 and PaulKorea liked this.
Apr. 29 at 2:49 p.m.
I don't see Davidson plugging up that many holes for the young guys, especially with all these deals being multi year this is just way too much imo
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 29 at 3:04 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Garak
lol. I was literally just building an ACGM with almost the same exact proposals. I don't think this is too much at all, though. Something like this coincides with what KD has stated in his exit interview about improving the team, while still maintaining some of the more important guidelines he has laid out for the rebuild over the last two years.

Aside from Pesce (which is far too much salary and term, imo) you have brought in some veteran players on short term deals, made the NHL club more competitive, created roster competition for the young guys who may or may not need more development time in the AHL (and are still waiver exempt and shouldn't just be handed roster spots), and brings in more/higher-quality draft capital. All while bringing in more guys who are not injury prone, and who, presumably, are only worried about themselves and their next contracts. They are all guys who can motivate a locker room, take orders and play within a system, and are great team first guys, aside from maybe Mikheyev.

I think as far as Mikheyev goes, though, I would rather just re-sign Anderson. We don't NEED the extra 2nd round pick and Anderson has been fantastic. And for Pesce, I think for $6.5 x 5, we can probably do better than him, or just do something shorter term. Not that he isn't serviceable, but he has shown signs of decline and 5 years is a long time, especially for that amount. That contract has some potential to look pretty bad pretty quickly.

Quoting: newman23
I woiuld prefer the hawks only make one of these types of moves (I definitely dont the idea of picking up anders lee). I think what Jones and Foligno said during their exit interviews is important - we need to have vets that actually want to be here and buy into trying to rebuild the blackhawks. I think picking up the worst contracts from playoff teams is a generally not a great way to get a guy that cares about the project in Chicago. Theres plenty of good veteran presence that will be available in free agency. I'd rather us target guys a little more intentionally. We dont really need the extra picks anyway.

Quoting: Wadejos123
I don't see Davidson plugging up that many holes for the young guys, especially with all these deals being multi year this is just way too much imo

The only thing I'd say with the picks is that we need to be trying to move up in the draft if we're getting picks. I fully understand if you don't want Mikheyev...ok. That's fine with me. Maybe it's a Faksa? Maybe it's someone else. My point was simply that I'm ok with having a Brett Connolley down in Rockford. Guys that aren't coming here by choice, but also don't want to skip out on their NHL contract. Faksa can help lead the Ice Hogs. I'm ok with that. Maybe it's Reeves? He's a "locker room" guy. OK, be that for our prospects. Sign Pitlick to a max AHL contract...whatever that is...I honestly forget. Spend the money to set up these young guys to develop into NHLers at the AHL level.

Anders Lee to me is different. He's a Captain. I'm sure he wants to win a cup, but when he and his wife (from Chicago) sit down and talk about their family, life, and future...it's not at all an impossibility that CHI is an acceptable location. He's still an ok hockey player. Just paid a lot for what he provides.
Garak liked this.
Apr. 29 at 3:48 p.m.
Maybe if you scrap the picks going to Toronto you could get the Hawks to accept. Maybe.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 29 at 3:58 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: PaulKorea
Maybe if you scrap the picks going to Toronto you could get the Hawks to accept. Maybe.

That's too much going to the Hawks imo. The #23 OA pick is a pretty dang good pick. Reaves is just a $450k buyout and TOR can dump Kampf for a 2nd rounder. Leafs fans would argue a 3rd, but that's probably not realistic. We have the picks to roll the dice like this and Reaves can go to Rockford. Be a protector down there for our prospects.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll