Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,700,000$86,367,638$1,022,500$6,170,000$1,332,362
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$9,350,000$9,350,000
RW
UFA
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
RFA
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$897,500$897,500 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$6,825,000$6,825,000
RD
UFA
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
RD
RFA - 3
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
RFA
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 3 at 5:22 a.m.
Reinhart spent years playing on a non-playoff team in Buffalo. He will take less to stay on a contender vs going back to that. Montour will get over 7M on the market. (Also Florida is going to keep 1 of them for sure).

Weak offer for Necas
May 3 at 6:18 a.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Reinhart spent years playing on a non-playoff team in Buffalo. He will take less to stay on a contender vs going back to that. Montour will get over 7M on the market. (Also Florida is going to keep 1 of them for sure).

Weak offer for Necas

eh if he wins a cup he might not care
May 3 at 6:18 a.m.
SkateOrDie
that's a no from the penguins, they don't need Harris, they rather go to FA than spend assets
May 3 at 6:28 a.m.
Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck
eh if he wins a cup he might not care

That's pretty much never how it works
May 3 at 6:30 a.m.
SkateOrDie
That's pretty much never how it works

Many players cash out after winning a championship.
May 3 at 6:45 a.m.
Many players cash out after winning a championship.

Who said anything about him not cashing out? Florida's going to offer him at minimum 64M, probably more
May 3 at 6:48 a.m.
SkateOrDie
Who said anything about him not cashing out? Florida's going to offer him at minimum 64M, probably more

the point I'm getting at here, where ever he can make more money, is on the table, especially if he wins a cup.
May 3 at 6:50 a.m.
the point I'm getting at here, where ever he can make more money, is on the table, especially if he wins a cup.

Non-core players often do that, but core players generally try to stay and keep the main group together. I would consider Reinhart one of those players
May 3 at 6:55 a.m.
SkateOrDie
Non-core players often do that, but core players generally try to stay and keep the main group together. I would consider Reinhart one of those players

Core players on teams are extended prior to them becoming FA.
FL didn't do that last year. I'm sure they are kicking themselves now.
The only thing FL has going is it can sign him 8 years. But if he makes more elsewhere and has a cup.... he's just as likely to cash out as anyone else at this point.
May 3 at 7:01 a.m.
Edited May 3 at 7:09 a.m.
Core players on teams are extended prior to them becoming FA.
FL didn't do that last year. I'm sure they are kicking themselves now.
The only thing FL has going is it can sign him 8 years. But if he makes more elsewhere and has a cup.... he's just as likely to cash out as anyone else at this point.

You realize he's not a free agent yet right? Nichushkin for example signed his contract July 11th after they won the cup (FA opened up July 13th that year). Barbashev was signed June 28th after they won the cup.

That 8th year is massive though. Lets take your offer for example. 9.35M is ~65.5M over 7 years. Reinhart turns 29 in early November, for the sake of argument he is essentially 29 next season. It's very unlikely that at the end of a 7 year deal Reinhart is very unlikely to make anything more than 1M at age 36, if at all. So any offer at 7 years has to essentially be more in total money then an 8 year deal. I used 8x8 as a basis but I would not be shocked if Florida offered him closer to or even 9M per year.
May 3 at 7:02 a.m.

Florida will offer him a deal maybe similar if not more aav while also being a tax free state so there’s literally no incentive to sign for less in Montreal and get taxed on top of that lol. Canadian teams gets screwed no matter what unless they overpay.
May 3 at 7:26 a.m.

Weak offer for Necas

There are a few differences between Montreal and Buffalo with regards to Reinhart

1. Montreal is one of the most prestigious markets in hockey history.

2. They are building a great team that should be contending in the next 2 years, whereas when Reinhart was in Buffalo they were (and still are) just not good enough. Many teams are trying to build out the offense and top pairing defense and are neglecting the traditional way to build a cup contender, from the net out. Look at the top contending teams, what do they all have in common? NYR Sorokin good balanced D and three lines that can score. Carolina, Anderson, probably the best D in the league and two scoring lines and a more balanced forward lineup who play a better team defensive game. Dallas, Ottinger a great D core and a very well balanced offense. Toronto, without Mathews has transformed their play style to more of a two-way system and its working better for them than just thinkinb offense all the time. Offense wins the regular season, defense wins championships and defense starts in the net.

3. MSL, Hughes and Gorton are three of the best hockey minds in the business and there isn't a player in the league who hasn't noticed the transformation of the Habs under their tutelage. More and more players are going to want to play for the Habs again.

4. Even leaving Necas and Montour out of the agrument, you can sell the team as a playoff team with the addition of Reinhart.

5. Montreal has so many more opportunities available to players that Buffalo doesn't have. There are bigger sponsorships and royality opportunities, montreal has better facilities and even their own players only lounge where current players can rub elbows with some of the greatest players in NHL history.

Comparing Montreal to Buffalo is like comparing Toronto or New York Rangers to Arizona/Utah.

In all likelihood though Florida finds a way to keep both Reinhart and Montour but especially Reinhart.
May 3 at 8:02 a.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: StutzlesNumber1Fan
Florida will offer him a deal maybe similar if not more aav while also being a tax free state so there’s literally no incentive to sign for less in Montreal and get taxed on top of that lol. Canadian teams gets screwed no matter what unless they overpay.

Like I said he'll go where he can make more money.

You realize he's not a free agent yet right? Nichushkin for example signed his contract July 11th after they won the cup (FA opened up July 13th that year). Barbashev was signed June 28th after they won the cup.

That 8th year is massive though. Lets take your offer for example. 9.35M is ~65.5M over 7 years. Reinhart turns 29 in early November, for the sake of argument he is essentially 29 next season. It's very unlikely that at the end of a 7 year deal Reinhart is very unlikely to make anything more than 1M at age 36, if at all. So any offer at 7 years has to essentially be more in total money then an 8 year deal. I used 8x8 as a basis but I would not be shocked if Florida offered him closer to or even 9M per year.

I really don't get what you're going on about not a FA yet.... look at McDavid, Crosby, Matthews, go down the list. Core guys, are signed they year before they hit market. That's pretty true about the league.
It's the rest of the guys who get signed after the season ends.

I didn't say the 8th year wasn't big. But if someone is offering 10-11 and FL is offering 8. That 8th year isn't making it up, especially if all other things are equal.
May 3 at 8:29 a.m.
Like I said he'll go where he can make more money.

I really don't get what you're going on about not a FA yet.... look at McDavid, Crosby, Matthews, go down the list. Core guys, are signed they year before they hit market. That's pretty true about the league.
It's the rest of the guys who get signed after the season ends.

I didn't say the 8th year wasn't big. But if someone is offering 10-11 and FL is offering 8. That 8th year isn't making it up, especially if all other things are equal.

Forsberg is absolutely a core guy in Nashville and wasn't signed until the last minute. Neither was Stamkos on his last negotiation. What about Landeskog?

Reinhart is not a franchise level talent, like the guys you named. He is a core player though, he's their 3rd best forward.

As soon as July 1st hits he can't sign an 8 year deal with anyone so if he thinks he can get 11M on the market then all the power to him
May 3 at 8:42 a.m.
Quoting: Campabee
There are a few differences between Montreal and Buffalo with regards to Reinhart

1. Montreal is one of the most prestigious markets in hockey history.

2. They are building a great team that should be contending in the next 2 years, whereas when Reinhart was in Buffalo they were (and still are) just not good enough. Many teams are trying to build out the offense and top pairing defense and are neglecting the traditional way to build a cup contender, from the net out. Look at the top contending teams, what do they all have in common? NYR Sorokin good balanced D and three lines that can score. Carolina, Anderson, probably the best D in the league and two scoring lines and a more balanced forward lineup who play a better team defensive game. Dallas, Ottinger a great D core and a very well balanced offense. Toronto, without Mathews has transformed their play style to more of a two-way system and its working better for them than just thinkinb offense all the time. Offense wins the regular season, defense wins championships and defense starts in the net.

3. MSL, Hughes and Gorton are three of the best hockey minds in the business and there isn't a player in the league who hasn't noticed the transformation of the Habs under their tutelage. More and more players are going to want to play for the Habs again.

4. Even leaving Necas and Montour out of the agrument, you can sell the team as a playoff team with the addition of Reinhart.

5. Montreal has so many more opportunities available to players that Buffalo doesn't have. There are bigger sponsorships and royality opportunities, montreal has better facilities and even their own players only lounge where current players can rub elbows with some of the greatest players in NHL history.

Comparing Montreal to Buffalo is like comparing Toronto or New York Rangers to Arizona/Utah.

In all likelihood though Florida finds a way to keep both Reinhart and Montour but especially Reinhart.

Lmao what kind of nonsensical post is this? It's as simple as this:
Florida is a top 5 team in the league - Fact
Montreal is a bottom 5 team in the league - Fact

Reinhart is almost 30, he is most likely not interested in waiting 5 years to become a contender again. He left Buffalo because he wasn't interested in a rebuild when he was 26. He's clearly happy and successful in Florida so he is probably very willing to stay. Florida is also very likely willing to pay him fair value (maybe slightly less than he would get on the market) to stay.

I was not comparing living in Montreal or Buffalo at all.
May 3 at 8:56 a.m.
SkateOrDie
Forsberg is absolutely a core guy in Nashville and wasn't signed until the last minute. Neither was Stamkos on his last negotiation. What about Landeskog?

Reinhart is not a franchise level talent, like the guys you named. He is a core player though, he's their 3rd best forward.

As soon as July 1st hits he can't sign an 8 year deal with anyone so if he thinks he can get 11M on the market then all the power to him

TB and Stamkos kind of a different situation. They were in the middle of transitioning to their youth, point, Cirelli, Kuch... they were all younger players back then. Stamkos wasn't really looked at like you think. There were questions if they should even keep him them because he wasn't getting it done. Right now he's not looked at as a core player. He's too old.

But at least we can agree, if the money is there he's gone. Good for him, he'll get paid.
which is why I said, guys cashing out is a real thing.
May 3 at 9:02 a.m.
TB and Stamkos kind of a different situation. They were in the middle of transitioning to their youth, point, Cirelli, Kuch... they were all younger players back then. Stamkos wasn't really looked at like you think. There were questions if they should even keep him them because he wasn't getting it done. Right now he's not looked at as a core player. He's too old.

But at least we can agree, if the money is there he's gone. Good for him, he'll get paid.
which is why I said, guys cashing out is a real thing.

Stamkos is definitely still viewed as a core player in Tampa.

Players do cash go to market and sign big deals but that's only when their contending team can't afford to keep them at their market value. Kadri is a good example of this as Colorado definitely couldn't afford his extension (and loosing him hurt them a lot until they got Mitts).

OP signed both Reinhart and Montour. As I said in my original post, at least one of them is absolutely staying in Florida, in all likelihood it will be Reinhart as he will want to stay in a place where he is finally successful
May 3 at 9:23 a.m.
Lmao what kind of nonsensical post is this? It's as simple as this:
Florida is a top 5 team in the league - Fact
Montreal is a bottom 5 team in the league - Fact

Reinhart is almost 30, he is most likely not interested in waiting 5 years to become a contender again. He left Buffalo because he wasn't interested in a rebuild when he was 26. He's clearly happy and successful in Florida so he is probably very willing to stay. Florida is also very likely willing to pay him fair value (maybe slightly less than he would get on the market) to stay.

I was not comparing living in Montreal or Buffalo at all.

LMAO what kind of nonsensical post is this? Montreal is further along in their rebuild and will be in contention within the next 2 years. The Habs brass is not the same buffoons that ran the Sabres, they are actually willing to spend the assets to bring in the talent they feel they need (Dach, Newhook ect) to contend by 2025-26. I already stated that Reinhart likely stays in Florida but if your only argument is that he wouldn’t want to wait through another 5 year rebuild, then you have no argument at all as to why he wouldn't come to Montreal
May 3 at 9:34 a.m.
SkateOrDie
Stamkos is definitely still viewed as a core player in Tampa.

Players do cash go to market and sign big deals but that's only when their contending team can't afford to keep them at their market value. Kadri is a good example of this as Colorado definitely couldn't afford his extension (and loosing him hurt them a lot until they got Mitts).

OP signed both Reinhart and Montour. As I said in my original post, at least one of them is absolutely staying in Florida, in all likelihood it will be Reinhart as he will want to stay in a place where he is finally successful

Stamkos is not viewed as core anymore in TB. Would they like to keep him, sure, but push comes to shove, if it doesn't work for the team he's gone. If he was core they would be keeping him and making it work with other guys. Their core is now younger-ish... than Stamkos.

I don't even know what " can't afford to keep them at their market value" means. Obviously whatever someone is willing to pay is market value. Obviously they can't afford to match what another team pays they leave. That's the whole point. So that's just meaningless.

It's not really about FL whatever. The point is, if someone throws him an absurd amount of money, he has a cup..... odds are he might take it. The rest of this is just getting out of the main point.
Guys cash out. Tons do. There is nothing wrong with it. Plenty of penguins players cashed out after they won a cup. Lovejoy, Bonino, Schultz, the list goes on. Once you win a cup, you chase the money. It's what they do. Some guys don't even care about the win the cup part, they just want paid. Look at nick Foglino he neve won a cup, he could have went somewhere on a dirt cheap contract, but went to CHI to get paid. He could be a 4th liner on min salary for a team, but he cares less about the cup and more about getting paid. I don't blame him for that either.
May 3 at 4:29 p.m.
Quoting: Campabee
LMAO what kind of nonsensical post is this? Montreal is further along in their rebuild and will be in contention within the next 2 years. The Habs brass is not the same buffoons that ran the Sabres, they are actually willing to spend the assets to bring in the talent they feel they need (Dach, Newhook ect) to contend by 2025-26. I already stated that Reinhart likely stays in Florida but if your only argument is that he wouldn’t want to wait through another 5 year rebuild, then you have no argument at all as to why he wouldn't come to Montreal

You are failing to read what I said again. I did not say 5 year rebuild, I said 5 years to contend. Montreal will probably be a bubble team next year but likely still miss the playoffs, even with Reinhart. Whereas Florida will probably be near or atop the division again. The Habs might contend for a playoff spot in 2 years but they aren't a contender by then.

Also the Habs are not further along then the Sabres, that is a hell of a bold take

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll