A Mutually Worked-Out Marner to CBJ Trade - TOR

Created by: CaseyFlyman
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 11, 2024
Published: May 11, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
See trade description below.

Not a lot else to unpack here. The RFAs that would stay, stay. The UFAs that would extend, extend. Signings are Elvis after a buyout, a top-4 RD (Montour), and a quality depth forward (Fischer).

Cowan and Minten get time to marinate in the minors, and could be the first callups. Let them develop as-needed rather than thrust them into a bottom-6 role.

Feels like a good compromise between blowing it all up and staying the course. One major move, one major signing, the rest is tinkering around the edges like usual.

Link to ACGM with discussion, OP @T0R: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/833101

And link to Columbus side: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/5124288
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
1$975,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,250,000
3$2,500,000
7$7,500,000
1$1,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Merzlikins, Elvis
1$1,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Johnson, Kent [RFA Rights]
  2. Laine, Patrik
  3. Provorov, Ivan ($2,362,500 retained)
Additional Details:
Toronto gets a haul of NHL players with high upside compared to last year's results. Their depth is significantly improved and KJ should be a Marner-style replacement.

Late in the 2024 summer, contingent on Laine leaving the PAP, KJ recovering from surgery pre-training camp. and Marner waiving for Columbus.

Elvis is also part of this deal under the table, bought out by CBJ and signs with Toronto at $1.5M.
CBJ
  1. Liljegren, Timothy [RFA Rights]
  2. Marner, Mitchell
  3. 2024 4th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
CBJ sign Marner to an 8x$12M extension. Clears up a logjam of forwards without sacrificing any untouchable pieces/core pieces going forward.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$87,429,167$0$0$70,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
C, RW
UFA
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C, RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
LW, C
RFA
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA
Merzlikins, Elvis
$1,500,000$1,500,000
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$2,362,500$2,362,500
LD
UFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RD
UFA
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 11 at 3:10 p.m.
If only Marner didn't have that pesky NMC.
jfkst1 liked this.
May 11 at 3:14 p.m.
EDITED: I forgot about the Elvis part of the buyout/signing/trade. Modified slightly to add him instead of Rittich, lowered Dewar and Fischer cap hits.
May 11 at 3:15 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Explain to me why Marner would go to CBJ. Even if he wants out of TOR, that is not a team I expect him to be willing to waive for unless their extension offer is the best.
May 11 at 3:15 p.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
If only Marner didn't have that pesky NMC.

That's why it would be contingent on Marner waiving for Columbus. Leafs fans seem hellbent on sending him here anyway, it's not that much of a stretch of the imagination to think he'd be okay with being the highest-paid player on an up-and-coming team that should be pushing for the playoffs at the start of his extension.
squashmaple and Viqsi liked this.
May 11 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: jfkst1
Explain to me why Marner would go to CBJ. Even if he wants out of TOR, that is not a team I expect him to be willing to waive for unless their extension offer is the best.

We give him nearly $100M like he wants, no problem for the cap. And we're only a year or two away from competing, in a low-stress market. He's the guy on a young team with a window to compete that's just opening.

It's unlikely, yes, but crazier things have happened. I've just seen so many Marner-to-Columbus deals involving 4OA/Jiricek/etc. that I wanted to make one that was actually feasible for Columbus.
May 11 at 3:37 p.m.
Quoting: CaseyFlyman
That's why it would be contingent on Marner waiving for Columbus. Leafs fans seem hellbent on sending him here anyway, it's not that much of a stretch of the imagination to think he'd be okay with being the highest-paid player on an up-and-coming team that should be pushing for the playoffs at the start of his extension.

Aside from Gaudreau (which still has me scratching my head), has any in-demand player voluntarily chosen to play in Columbus? There seems to be a long trail of players demanding their way out of town.
May 11 at 4:09 p.m.
mostly harmless
Aside from Gaudreau (which still has me scratching my head), has any in-demand player voluntarily chosen to play in Columbus? There seems to be a long trail of players demanding their way out of town.

Nathan Horton, although it ended badly for health reasons. And Zach Werenski fired his agent to ensure he could stay.
May 11 at 4:18 p.m.
Quoting: Viqsi
Nathan Horton, although it ended badly for health reasons. And Zach Werenski fired his agent to ensure he could stay.

Werenski was a RFA, so he didn't have free reign to sign anywhere.

I'll even give you Damon Severson, who I had forgotten about when I made my post.

Now reconcile that with all the players that had no interest in re-signing there and/or were disgruntled playing there. Bobrovsky, Panarin, Duchene, Gaborik, Carter, Dzingel, Dubois. And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
May 11 at 4:20 p.m.
mostly harmless

I'll even give you Damon Severson, who I had forgotten about when I made my post.

Now reconcile that with all the players that had no interest in re-signing there and/or were disgruntled playing there. Bobrovsky, Panarin, Duchene, Gaborik, Carter, Dzingel, Dubois. And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Nearly half your examples are erroneous. We walked away from Duchene, Gaborik, and Dzingel, not the other way around.
CaseyFlyman liked this.
May 11 at 4:26 p.m.
Quoting: Viqsi
Nearly half your examples are erroneous. We walked away from Duchene, Gaborik, and Dzingel, not the other way around.

That's not what I recall:

Quoting: ColumbusDispatch
The Dispatch has confirmed multiple reports that Duchene will sign a seven-year contract worth $56 million on Monday with the Nashville Predators once NHL free agency officially begins at noon. A source indicated Duchene turned down a larger offer by the Blue Jackets, who traded their 2019 first-round pick plus two forward prospects to acquire him and a prospect on Feb. 22 from the Ottawa Senators.

Gaborik was disgruntled playing there, which is why they ended up practically giving him to LA after giving up a haul to acquire him.

I don't remember well enough about Dzingel to contest that one, but my memory is that he chose not to re-sign there.
May 11 at 4:30 p.m.
mostly harmless
That's not what I recall:

Gaborik was disgruntled playing there, which is why they ended up practically giving him to LA after giving up a haul to acquire him.

I don't remember well enough about Dzingel to contest that one, but my memory is that he chose not to re-sign there.

Doesn't match what I remember, but either way literally everyone managing that team has since been replaced.
May 11 at 4:37 p.m.
not a he )

Bob wanted money, Panarin only wanted the Rangers, Duchene only wanted Nashville, Carter was a decade ago and mad Philly screwed him over by trading him just before a no-trade clause kicked in, Dzingel is not remotely a relevant example as he isn't a fraction the caliber of player the rest of this list is (and was also very much allowed to walk), and Dubois is eliminated immediately by your own criteria because he was an RFA.

I mean, carry on. Why let us try to correct you, the meme is way funnier.
Viqsi liked this.
May 11 at 4:53 p.m.

If your examples are a player with a very specific destination he was set on (Panarin), two guys from a decade ago (Gaborik, Carter), two UFA TDL rentals (Dzingel, Duchene), and two players who, at different times, chased money and were/are widely regarded as one of the worst contracts in the league (Bob, Dubois)...maybe the narrative doesn't fit.

I mean, just last year the Leafs failed to retain Bunting, O'Reilly, Holl, Lafferty, Acciari, and Gustaffson. Should we start looking into the "no one wants to stay in Toronto" narrative? No, of course not.
Viqsi liked this.
May 11 at 5:20 p.m.
Quoting: squashmaple
Bob wanted money, Panarin only wanted the Rangers, Duchene only wanted Nashville, Carter was a decade ago and mad Philly screwed him over by trading him just before a no-trade clause kicked in, Dzingel is not remotely a relevant example as he isn't a fraction the caliber of player the rest of this list is (and was also very much allowed to walk), and Dubois is eliminated immediately by your own criteria because he was an RFA.

I mean, carry on. Why let us try to correct you, the meme is way funnier.

Quoting: CaseyFlyman
If your examples are a player with a very specific destination he was set on (Panarin), two guys from a decade ago (Gaborik, Carter), two UFA TDL rentals (Dzingel, Duchene), and two players who, at different times, chased money and were/are widely regarded as one of the worst contracts in the league (Bob, Dubois)...maybe the narrative doesn't fit.

I mean, just last year the Leafs failed to retain Bunting, O'Reilly, Holl, Lafferty, Acciari, and Gustaffson. Should we start looking into the "no one wants to stay in Toronto" narrative? No, of course not.

But there are numerous examples from all of these other teams where players choose these teams over other suitors. Panarin and Fox chose New York over an entire league looking to woo them. John Tavares chose Toronto even though San Jose offered him more money. Sure you can say he only wanted to sign with his hometown team, but that's the point. There's not a lot of NHLers from Ohio.

If it were just a few examples of players choosing other teams over Columbus, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, until you realize that no one really ever chooses Columbus. Gaudreau is the exception. Horton too, I guess. Most other teams have a ton of counterexamples.
May 11 at 7:50 p.m.
But there are numerous examples from all of these other teams where players choose these teams over other suitors. Panarin and Fox chose New York over an entire league looking to woo them. John Tavares chose Toronto even though San Jose offered him more money. Sure you can say he only wanted to sign with his hometown team, but that's the point. There's not a lot of NHLers from Ohio.

If it were just a few examples of players choosing other teams over Columbus, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, until you realize that no one really ever chooses Columbus. Gaudreau is the exception. Horton too, I guess. Most other teams have a ton of counterexamples.

I mean, sure, there's not a lot of players from Ohio yet that are signing in Columbus because it's the hometown team, but...that also almost never happens? Tavares was an exception, not a rule.

The reasons not to sign in Columbus are because it's one of the newest franchises in the league, hasn't had a ton of success, and is a historically smaller market operating on an internal cap. That could be any franchise, and the budget/internal cap is finally changing as the market grows. The only reason Florida isn't looked at the same way is because of the beach and tax situation.

Hell, far more players have explicitly chosen not to play in Canada (NTCs frequently list mainly Canadian teams) just because of higher taxes and tighter regulations, yet ~41% of NHLers are Canadian. Ottawa and Buffalo are far more dysfunctional organizations at the moment, and Utah would be on that list if they hadn't just gotten here.

My point is, it's never about legitimate gripes with Columbus as a destination, any reasons to avoid signing here for that reason exist in other markets in the NHL. There's plenty of good reasons to sign here, as we've seen with JG, Werenski, Jenner, Rick Nash (who's returned to live here and work in the FO), Cam Atkinson (who invested heavily in the community), and countless others. It's always disingenuous people trying to dunk on Ohio for some reason to feel better about themselves when in reality it's a great place to live and great hockey market with plenty to offer. The narrative needs to die because it's disingenuous and always applied in a "f*** you" kind of way.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll