Forums/Armchair-GM

DRW 24-25 - Possible plan

Created by: jaclul
Team: 2024-25 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: May 12, 2024
Published: May 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Seider and Raymond long term example estimates - some +/- in either + wiggle room in cap, can go towards if Roy wants slightly more?

Goalies trade example if Husso is hurt long term (LTIR) - otherwise carry 3 goalies with a backup in the Reimer mold again. If Husso is healthy gain some slight cap space.

Määtää is a stable and useful player but replaced by younger D at lower cap. Fabbri is next in line if they need more cap space. Holl bought out if no cap dump trade which i doubt.

Offense was decent even before Kane last season, still relies heavily in Larkin - Berggren replaces Sprong.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$950,000
1$850,000
1$800,000
8$8,250,000
8$8,250,000
1$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$1,500,000
2$900,000
2$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
2$2,500,000
6$5,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Depth Forward, Any
1$1,000,000
Depth Goalie, Any
1$1,000,000
Trades
BOS
  1. Tuomisto, Antti
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (DET)
  3. 2025 2nd round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
Tuomisto/Buium/Wallinder if wanting a younger D. Määtää/Fabbri if impact now. + Some picks to make it work depending on player/s.
DET
    Trade to anyone if not in Ullmark trade - For a pick or cheap useful depth forward.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$87,500,000$86,046,807$0$1,850,000$1,453,193
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 7
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 4
    $5,100,000$5,100,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $950,000$950,000
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $886,667$886,667 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
    C
    RFA - 3
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C, LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    C
    RFA
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    RD
    RFA
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    UFA
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $850,000$850,000
    LD
    RFA
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,343,750$2,343,750
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Depth Goalie, Any
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    Depth Forward, Any
    $1,000,000$1,000,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 14 at 8:23 a.m.
    I think it'd have to be Wallinder instead of Tuomisto, but besides that I think it's fair value.
    May 14 at 8:29 a.m.
    Quoting: dugg133
    I think it'd have to be Wallinder instead of Tuomisto, but besides that I think it's fair value.

That's correct, and doesn't make much sense for DET unless Yzerman is planning to extend Ullmark and get a nice return for Cossa/Augustine.
    May 14 at 9:09 a.m.
    Dekesaladekes
    Quoting: PuzzledActuary
    That's correct, and doesn't make much sense for DET unless Yzerman is planning to extend Ullmark and get a nice return for Cossa/Augustine.

Not really Ullmark is a perfect bridge gap goalie for Detroit sign him 4-5 years and then whatever goalie turns out will become the backup then 1B/1A until ullmarks contract runs out.

Cossa is only 21 and Augustine 19 both are still not for sure gonna turn out yet lots of goalies do well in the AHL/ECHL/ Europe/ Juniors and can’t figure things out in the NHL.
    jaclul liked this.
    May 14 at 9:17 a.m.
    Edited May 14 at 9:30 a.m.
    Quoting: dugg133

I think giving up Wallinder would be fine considering the depth of d prospects Detroit has, but would probably impact the picks? They would have to be convinced Ullmark is a starter and gets an extension though.

I definitely think having a reliable goalie that either Cossa or Augustine have to beat out to get the job both makes sense but also is in line with how the organisation has worked historically.
    May 14 at 9:29 a.m.
    Edited May 14 at 9:40 a.m.
    Quoting: Dekes
    Not really Ullmark is a perfect bridge gap goalie for Detroit sign him 4-5 years and then whatever goalie turns out will become the backup then 1B/1A until ullmarks contract runs out.

Cossa is only 21 and Augustine 19 both are still not for sure gonna turn out yet lots of goalies do well in the AHL/ECHL/ Europe/ Juniors and can’t figure things out in the NHL.

Im just talking about including Wallinder. The trade as is is totally fine but no reason to include a prospect like Wallinder for Ullmark, especially because you're gonna have to pay him $6M+ a year
    May 14 at 10:28 a.m.
    Im just talking about including Wallinder. The trade as is is totally fine but no reason to include a prospect like Wallinder for Ullmark, especially because you're gonna have to pay him $6M+ a year

It takes two teams to make a deal. My assumption is the Red Wings cant continue with Husso/Lyon. There are enough teams that need goaltenders that this package probably gets passed on. My assumption is Cossa could become the backup while developing in the NHL

I believe the package would be Buium or Wallinder plus a second. Tuomisto’s time at Denver probably isn’t a positive here. I thought he was OK when I saw him last year. Probably would be third or fourth in Providence in terms of quality
    jaclul and Dekes liked this.
    May 14 at 10:41 a.m.
    Quoting: Celtics21
    It takes two teams to make a deal. My assumption is the Red Wings cant continue with Husso/Lyon. There are enough teams that need goaltenders that this package probably gets passed on. My assumption is Cossa could become the backup while developing in the NHL

I believe the package would be Buium or Wallinder plus a second. Tuomisto’s time at Denver probably isn’t a positive here. I thought he was OK when I saw him last year. Probably would be third or fourth in Providence in terms of quality

I understand, which is exactly why I said what I said.
    May 14 at 10:51 a.m.
    I understand, which is exactly why I said what I said.

I was pointing to your statement saying there was no reason to include a prospect like Wallinder and the trade was fine as is. If your offer centers around a 2nd round pick. It’s probably getting beaten. My guess is Sweeney’s preference is to send him to the west if all things are equal.
    jaclul and Dekes liked this.
    May 14 at 10:53 a.m.
    I was pointing to your statement saying there was no reason to include a prospect like Wallinder and the trade was fine as is. If your offer centers around a 2nd round pick. It’s probably getting beaten. My guess is Sweeney’s preference is to send him to the west if all things are equal.

There is no reason to include Wallinder, from DET perspective.

If Ullmark was 25, maybe.
    May 14 at 11:06 a.m.

This was kind of my thinking too - lots of teams with goalie needs and Detroit kinda has a surplus of good d prospects, they're not all going to fit. Might be time to use one to fill another hole in the lineup to take the next step?

There is no reason to include Wallinder, from DET perspective.

If Ullmark was 25, maybe.

Ok then do Buium, doesn't really matter, point still stands. Gotta give something to get something. What's your solution in net for Detroit that doesn't give up assets?
    May 14 at 11:47 a.m.
    Quoting: jaclul
    This was kind of my thinking too - lots of teams with goalie needs and Detroit kinda has a surplus of good d prospects, they're not all going to fit. Might be time to use one to fill another hole in the lineup to take the next step?

Ok then do Buium, doesn't really matter, point still stands. Gotta give something to get something. What's your solution in net for Detroit that doesn't give up assets?

Wait for the two good prospects we have to develop and dont give up potentially valuable assets for a stop gap, pretty simple.

Ullmark doesn't make this team any better than it is. Their issues are in front of the net, not in it.
    May 14 at 12:45 p.m.
    Wait for the two good prospects we have to develop and dont give up potentially valuable assets for a stop gap, pretty simple.

Ullmark doesn't make this team any better than it is. Their issues are in front of the net, not in it.

Edvinsson, Al Johansson, Wallinder, Buium, Tuomisto, Sandin-Pellikka, Gibson, An Johansson, these are all pretty decent to really good d prospects that Detroit has - assets that can be used to improve the team, you can afford to sell on one. If you extend Ullmark to hold down the fort until/if Cossa or Augustine turn out good, I don't see how that's a stopgap, or is every signing a stopgap?

This team currently has a backup that got burned out towards the end of the season in Lyon and Husso that is a question mark if he's ever getting back to form again after getting rough injuries for a goalie. "Issues not in net", huh?
    Dekes liked this.
    May 14 at 2:16 p.m.
    Quoting: jaclul
    Edvinsson, Al Johansson, Wallinder, Buium, Tuomisto, Sandin-Pellikka, Gibson, An Johansson, these are all pretty decent to really good d prospects that Detroit has - assets that can be used to improve the team, you can afford to sell on one. If you extend Ullmark to hold down the fort until/if Cossa or Augustine turn out good, I don't see how that's a stopgap, or is every signing a stopgap?

This team currently has a backup that got burned out towards the end of the season in Lyon and Husso that is a question mark if he's ever getting back to form again after getting rough injuries for a goalie. "Issues not in net", huh?

Edvinsson is a Red Wing, ASP is looking good and won't be traded. The rest of those guys will probably never be regular NHLers, but Wallinder looks like a REALLY good prospect. This is just about Wallinder, any of those other guys I'd trade no problem. You don't trade a prospect like Wallinder for a 30 year old goalie, especially on a team that isn't contending for anything. That is bad asset management.

For example, if we packaged Wallinder in a trade for Hanifin, that is something that makes a lot of sense. A young, cost controlled piece whose age lines up with the rest of our core.
    May 14 at 3:41 p.m.

For example, if we packaged Wallinder in a trade for Hanifin, that is something that makes a lot of sense. A young, cost controlled piece whose age lines up with the rest of our core.

Don’t believe Wallinder and a second rounder would have gotten you Hanifin. Maybe it gets you Chychrun if you prefer to go down that route, but you are left with your current goalie situation. Can’t tell if you view that as a negative. I would
    Dekes and jaclul liked this.
    May 14 at 5:44 p.m.
    Don’t believe Wallinder and a second rounder would have gotten you Hanifin. Maybe it gets you Chychrun if you prefer to go down that route, but you are left with your current goalie situation. Can’t tell if you view that as a negative. I would

lol do you know how to read? When did I say a 2nd and Wallinder would get you Hanifin?

The goalie situation right now is irrelevant. Lyon was fantastic this year and Husso was hurt....
    May 14 at 11:35 p.m.
    lol do you know how to read? When did I say a 2nd and Wallinder would get you Hanifin?

The goalie situation right now is irrelevant. Lyon was fantastic this year and Husso was hurt....

A GSax/60 barely above zero isn’t great. I personally hope that Detroit goes with Lyon and Husso too, but probably for different reasons than you
    jaclul liked this.
    May 15 at 8:50 a.m.
    A GSax/60 barely above zero isn’t great. I personally hope that Detroit goes with Lyon and Husso too, but probably for different reasons than you

That's a team stat, not a goalie stat. Lyon was incredible this year, anyone actually watching the Wings would know that.

Keep trying though, it's working.
    May 15 at 9:05 a.m.
    That's a team stat, not a goalie stat. Lyon was incredible this year, anyone actually watching the Wings would know that.

Keep trying though, it's working.

How is goals saved above expected a team stat exactly? Oh right. He faces and saves more high danger chances?

Our definition of incredible is different. Like I said, I would prefer you not sign a goalie and miss the playoffs again
    May 15 at 9:10 a.m.
    How is goals saved above expected a team stat exactly? Oh right. He faces and saves more high danger chances?

Our definition of incredible is different. Like I said, I would prefer you not sign a goalie and miss the playoffs again

Reading random stats is easier than watching hockey.

Then again, those stats also indicated that Jeff Petry was a better defenseman for Detroit than Mo Seider lol.
    PuzzledActuary liked this.
    May 15 at 9:17 a.m.
    Quoting: DanielSan92
    Reading random stats is easier than watching hockey.

Then again, those stats also indicated that Jeff Petry was a better defenseman for Detroit than Mo Seider lol.

Did they? Which one? Nobody who’s watched both those players would ever say that.

Some stats are less useful than others, but GsaX is a pretty useful stat in rating goalie effectiveness. Hell of a lot more effective than save % which is often a team based stat.

I’ve watched plenty of Alex Lyon over the years. He goes on good stretches, but is inconsistent and it’s backed up by this stat. Over the course of the year, he saved just about what was expected of him. Never been a fan of Husso.

I like what I saw out of Cossa in Grand Rapids. Thought Augustine was OK at Michigan State. I’ve probably watched more of those two than most Detroit fans wink
    May 15 at 9:25 a.m.
    Did they? Which one? Nobody who’s watched both those players would ever say that.

Some stats are less useful than others, but GsaX is a pretty useful stat in rating goalie effectiveness. Hell of a lot more effective than save % which is often a team based stat.

I’ve watched plenty of Alex Lyon over the years. He goes on good stretches, but is inconsistent and it’s backed up by this stat. Over the course of the year, he saved just about what was expected of him. Never been a fan of Husso.

I like what I saw out of Cossa in Grand Rapids. Thought Augustine was OK at Michigan State. I’ve probably watched more of those two than most Detroit fans wink

The Athletic's stat boy was indicating Petry was better right up until the last month of the season lol.

Much like advanced stat nerds were talking about how Detroit's shooting percentage was ungodly and unmaintainable because rather than actually watch a game, they put numbers in their computer and reported the bull**** it spat out. Detroit's shooting percentage was absurd because they refused to shoot until they had the perfect opportunity open net, and it was mind-numbing to watch most nights.

Lyon bailed Detroit out more than he was a burden to them. Problem is he got hung out to dry by absolutely dog **** defense most nights. Much like how Ned can look good before Detroit, awful in Detroit, and back to good outside of Detroit. Much like Husso can look good before Detroit and look like **** once he gets here.

Goaltending isn't the problem. **** defense is.
    PuzzledActuary liked this.
    May 15 at 9:28 a.m.
    Quoting: DanielSan92
    The Athletic's stat boy was indicating Petry was better right up until the last month of the season lol.

Much like advanced stat nerds were talking about how Detroit's shooting percentage was ungodly and unmaintainable because rather than actually watch a game, they put numbers in their computer and reported the bull**** it spat out. Detroit's shooting percentage was absurd because they refused to shoot until they had the perfect opportunity open net, and it was mind-numbing to watch most nights.

Lyon bailed Detroit out more than he was a burden to them. Problem is he got hung out to dry by absolutely dog **** defense most nights. Much like how Ned can look good before Detroit, awful in Detroit, and back to good outside of Detroit. Much like Husso can look good before Detroit and look like **** once he gets here.

Goaltending isn't the problem. **** defense is.

I’m not a fan of a lot of the Athletic stuff. I also don’t believe all stats are relevant, but this one (GSAx/60) is pretty useful for goalies.

I see goaltender and defense as a problem for Detroit, but I also see young players on defense who are more ready than the goaltenders
    May 15 at 9:37 a.m.
    I’m not a fan of a lot of the Athletic stuff. I also don’t believe all stats are relevant, but this one (GSAx/60) is pretty useful for goalies.

I see goaltender and defense as a problem for Detroit, but I also see young players on defense who are more ready than the goaltenders

I can tell you from watching probably 85% - 90% of the games over the last three years that it's defense lol. Is Lyon playing like Vasilevsky? No. But he's not letting in soft, easy shots left and right. Whereas you can go watch highlights from December or March and see Detroit's defense over and over and over again either allowing an odd-man rush (Or flat out breakaway) half a dozen times per game, failing to clear traffic in front of the net, losing their man, etc.

The game versus SJS in December (Maybe late November) is a peak example. If you really want a glimpse of Petry's defense all year, pull up the highlights from DET vs. CAR in early March. The first goal he literally pinches over to the left to double cover the puck carrier while completely abandoning his own man that's rushing in toward the net.

I do agree somewhat that we're better positioned in the near future for defense than goaltending. On the left side we'll be set very soon with Walman, Edvinsson, and one of AlJo/Wallinder. Right side is a **** show though. ASP is a boom/bust prospect and likely wont see the NHL until mid-season 25-26 at the earliest, if not 26-27.

Cossa and Augustine both had great years. I'm just not a fan of rushing goalies at all. Honestly, I'm not a fan of counting on goalies at all. Outside the league's consistent elite, they're all over the map. Great one year and **** the next.
    May 15 at 9:43 a.m.

This is a classic example of yet another poster losing trace of the argument.

You can argue Lyon's effectiveness all day long, it doesn't matter. The point is trading Wallinder for a 30 year old goalie is dumb - simple as that.
    May 15 at 9:46 a.m.
    This is a classic example of yet another poster losing trace of the argument.

You can argue Lyon's effectiveness all day long, it doesn't matter. The point is trading Wallinder for a 30 year old goalie is dumb - simple as that.

How many times have you watched Wallinder or Buium play? Do you have the AHL package or do you go to Grand Rapids games?

How about Ullmark?

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll