Forums/Armchair-GM

Rumour has it

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 15, 2024
Published: May 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think that while the Habs want to reward their players, they probably wait one more year, hoping Slaf, Zuke, Caufield, Newhook, Armia improve on what they showed at the end of last season.

The moves here are all about rebalancing the distribution of players without sacrificing the future.

In the Anderson deal, just hoping both players can bring more to their new teams than they do to their current ones.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
3$3,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Tsyplakov, Maxim
1$975,000
Iginla, Tij
3$975,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Mikheyev, Ilya
Additional Details:
Trading problems
VAN
  1. Anderson, Josh
Additional Details:
Trading problems
MTL
VGK
  1. Evans, Jake
Additional Details:
Traded to a contender for market value, not necessarily Vegas though I think there is a fit. The key to the trade being a roster player for futures
MTL
  1. Lundell, Anton [RFA Rights]
FLA
  1. Beck, Owen
  2. Kovacevic, Johnathan
  3. Struble, Jayden
Additional Details:
A couple of cost controlled bottom pair defenders with size, physicality, and some upside

Habs top center prospect

The guiding principle of this deal is that the Panthers trade Lundell, who is currently the best player in the deal, for cap reasons but get back reinforcements who help them today and in the future on ELCs
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$73,179,583$1,022,500$4,670,000$14,320,417
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, LW
RFA
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
Tsyplakov, Maxim
$975,000$975,000
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
RFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 15 at 7:46 a.m.
Mods have power egos
Rumor has it Florida hangs up the phone once you say lundell
May 15 at 7:49 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: NYRxLundqvist
Rumor has it Florida hangs up the phone once you say lundell

In a league without cap, absolutely. In the reality the Panthers are faced with, they will have to make some decisions. Beck is considered by most to be a "can't miss" 3C prospect. I don't think this deal is crazy...

They will have roughly 20 million to sign ~12 players...
May 15 at 7:58 a.m.
Quoting: jonh514
In a league without cap, absolutely. In the reality the Panthers are faced with, they will have to make some decisions. Beck is considered by most to be a "can't miss" 3C prospect. I don't think this deal is crazy...

They will have roughly 20 million to sign ~12 players...

They are just going to have to let their big ticket UFAs walk, they don't have much choice, especially since the names that need deals next year are even bigger. Lundell would be the most cost-efficient player.
jonh514 liked this.
May 15 at 7:59 a.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
VAN trade is the worst one. 32/32 GMs take Mikheyev over Anderson straight up. Cheaper, better, shorter term. MTR has to add.
May 15 at 8:09 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: GMBL
They are just going to have to let their big ticket UFAs walk, they don't have much choice, especially since the names that need deals next year are even bigger. Lundell would be the most cost-efficient player.

Montour and Tarasenko, sure, but what would be the point of letting Reinhart & Cousins walk? At that point, they might as well sell all their players and start rebuilding with players like Lundell.

Teams with players like Barkov, M. Tkachuk, Reinhart don't do that. They push it for as long as they can.

I expect Lundell DOES get traded, even if this isn't the deal that gets it done.
May 15 at 8:11 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: jfkst1
VAN trade is the worst one. 32/32 GMs take Mikheyev over Anderson straight up. Cheaper, better, shorter term. MTR has to add.

Alright. I don't much like either player, but I hear you on losing 1 year of salary. Not sure what the Habs need to add, but if it's a couple of later picks like 2 x 3rds, I can get behind that.
GMBL liked this.
May 15 at 8:48 a.m.
Montour and Tarasenko, sure, but what would be the point of letting Reinhart & Cousins walk? At that point, they might as well sell all their players and start rebuilding with players like Lundell.

Teams with players like Barkov, M. Tkachuk, Reinhart don't do that. They push it for as long as they can.

I expect Lundell DOES get traded, even if this isn't the deal that gets it done.

They still have Verhaeghe and Bennett up front, and Ekblad and Forsling at the back end all of who are key pieces who will need new contracts soon. Reinhart maybe gets signed but wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after the season that he had. So, keeping 4/6 of their top-six wouldn't be too bad. Teams that have success usually have like 8-guys that they really like that they build around. Cousins could probably get signed, don't think he'll make too much.

I wouldn't rule out a Lundell trade, but it's probably an NHL trade. Though if they like him, no reason to move him.
jonh514 liked this.
May 15 at 8:52 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: GMBL
They still have Verhaeghe and Bennett up front, and Ekblad and Forsling at the back end all of who are key pieces who will need new contracts soon. Reinhart maybe gets signed but wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after the season that he had. So, keeping 4/6 of their top-six wouldn't be too bad. Teams that have success usually have like 8-guys that they really like that they build around.

I wouldn't rule out a Lundell trade, but it's probably an NHL trade. Though if they like him, no reason to move him.

I think they choose Reinhart over Lundell and then use the additional cap space from the cap growing to resign some of the other guys.

I would also mention, Montour is gone this year, Ekblad next year, so they need some defenders who can come in at affordable deals to pickup the slack.

Obviously the players I'm proposing are not close to Ekblad or Montour, but decisions will have to be made.
May 15 at 9:03 a.m.
I think they choose Reinhart over Lundell and then use the additional cap space from the cap growing to resign some of the other guys.

I would also mention, Montour is gone this year, Ekblad next year, so they need some defenders who can come in at affordable deals to pickup the slack.

Obviously the players I'm proposing are not close to Ekblad or Montour, but decisions will have to be made.

I think it would be foolish for them to let Ekblad go, they don't really have any replacement, but I get a feeling that it could happen. Personally, I want them to keep 2014 Draft boys club together and it would be cool if they found a way to get Draisaitl to complete the top 4. Maybe if he requests a trade they can offer Lundell + Verhaeghe + a 1st or something.
May 15 at 9:04 a.m.
May 15 at 10:28 a.m.

An outsiders perspective from me is that your trade doesn't improve Florida's cap situation in any way. The two defensemen you are sending them would replace OEL and Kulikov so that shaves a whole 1M off the cap. Beck isn't playing in the NHL next season so for cap purposes Florida is balancing what they would pay Lundell vs what they'd pay some other guy to be their 3C. You want to pay Lundell 3.5M... I can't see any 3C that a true contender wants on their roster making less than that. A lot would make more, upwards of 5M.

If you want to help Florida with their cap help them deal with Knight and/or Bob. 16M on goal tending is nuts.
jonh514 liked this.
May 15 at 10:34 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: CHAR
An outsiders perspective from me is that your trade doesn't improve Florida's cap situation in any way. The two defensemen you are sending them would replace OEL and Kulikov so that shaves a whole 1M off the cap. Beck isn't playing in the NHL next season so for cap purposes Florida is balancing what they would pay Lundell vs what they'd pay some other guy to be their 3C. You want to pay Lundell 3.5M... I can't see any 3C that a true contender wants on their roster making less than that. A lot would make more, upwards of 5M.

If you want to help Florida with their cap help them deal with Knight and/or Bob. 16M on goal tending is nuts.

The conversation is not just about 1 year, but about the next 3.

Beck "could" win a spot or not next year. But certainly this crowd of players helps over the next 3-4 years while the competitive window is open. If there is a step back one year, it's not ideal, but it does not mean this is not shrewd from a cap management perspective.

Also, I suggest a 3 year "prove it deal" but if Lundell's camp wants a 6 year deal at 5-6M per season, the Habs can do it and the Panthers cannot. Agents are not stupid, they know the players who need to be resigned this year and next, they know that if they let their client take a short term deal, he will have to move on in a couple of years. Maybe Lundell is ok with that, maybe he's not. There is no risk of that on the Habs however.
May 15 at 10:41 a.m.
Don’t see why the Canucks would have any interest in swapping Mikheyev for Anderson. Mikheyev is better (especially defensively), cheaper, and has less term. Montreal would have to add significantly and/or retain quite a bit
jfkst1 liked this.
May 15 at 10:47 a.m.
If there is a step back one year, it's not ideal, but it does not mean this is not shrewd from a cap management perspective.

Shrewd and cap management are two words that don't often exist together in the NHL. I'm fascinated by how Florida will navigate this problem of theirs but I really don't see any dire problems beyond letting Montour walk away. How is that guy only making 3.5M on his current contract? One of the biggest value contracts in the entire league.

Also, I suggest a 3 year "prove it deal" but if Lundell's camp wants a 6 year deal at 5-6M per season, the Habs can do it and the Panthers cannot.

Lundell is an RFA without arbitration rights. His leverage to get what he wants is limited to holding out and that's a move that hurts him as much as the Panthers. Just ask Zegras about that.
May 15 at 12:03 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Shrewd and cap management are two words that don't often exist together in the NHL. I'm fascinated by how Florida will navigate this problem of theirs but I really don't see any dire problems beyond letting Montour walk away. How is that guy only making 3.5M on his current contract? One of the biggest value contracts in the entire league.

Lundell is an RFA without arbitration rights. His leverage to get what he wants is limited to holding out and that's a move that hurts him as much as the Panthers. Just ask Zegras about that.

Zegras who signed a 5-6M contract you mean?
May 15 at 1:31 p.m.
Zegras who signed a 5-6M contract you mean?

Apple to orange is like 1C to 3C.

The point you should be taking from my Zegras comment is that he didn't get a Suzuki or Caufield contract. Verbeek played hardball and he eventually caved to taking what he got then had a miserable season.
May 15 at 3:12 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Apple to orange is like 1C to 3C.

The point you should be taking from my Zegras comment is that he didn't get a Suzuki or Caufield contract. Verbeek played hardball and he eventually caved to taking what he got then had a miserable season.

And a miserable season is what you want for Lundell?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll