SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game

Official BOG Discussion Only Thread

Aug. 16, 2017 at 5:55 p.m.
Stickied
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Edited Aug. 21, 2017 at 9:34 p.m.
This thread is for discussion and voting between BOG members only.

We ask that other GMs do not post anything in this thread so that the BOG can keep things organized and other GMs can easily see what the BOG is currently up to.

If you have any questions of complaints that you want to submit to the BOG, please use the Board Of General Managers Official Thread.

BOG Members:
ricochetii
phillyjabroni
Turner33
Bo53Horvat
TonyStrecher
DarylthePony
Duster

BOG Agenda:

- Set up a plan for College FAs and Second Wave NHL FA
- Work on recruiting active AGMs
- Discuss GM Game Awards

Current BOG Votes:
Aug. 22, 2017 at 10:24 a.m.
My only issue is that teams don't have to invoke waiver on ties like they did in the first wave. It was implied that we would conduct the second wave in the same manner, with waiver priority being used. If not, Arizona can circumvent that by remaining atop the waiver priority when the regular season breaks down.

EliteProsepects can be used for fact checking teams. Let's say Washington doesn't make a note that Iyla Samsonov is on their books. Let's also say that Vegas decides to list Iyla Samsonov on the list of non-NHL players because Washington never made a note of it. If you go onto EliteProspects and search Iyla Samsonov, you will now that you he was drafted in prior years and Washington has rights to him, making him not a Free Agent.

For the UDFA part, I was saying UDFAs from our draft. Guys that were drafted in the second round IRL, but undrafted in the game, are not eligible to be signed.

Here is the way I want to conduct the draft.
1.) Any team that offers the sole offer to a FA, automatically has the option to sign them (if non-NHL, ELC restrictions apply).
2.) After that, we conduct the second wave in a thread where we go from waiver priority to see who signs who; something like this:

Waiver Priority #1 - Arizona selects : Spencer Foo
Arizona moves the end of the priority

Waiver Priority #2 - Buffalo selects : Will Butcher
Buffalo moves to the end of the priority

Waiver Priority #3 - Detroit selects : PASS
Detroit remains atop the waiver priority going into the regular season, but is no longer eligible to sign FAs w/ waiver priority

Waiver Priority #4 - Dallas selects : Alexander Kerfoot
Dallas moves to the end of the priority

EVERYONE ELSE PASSES until we reach the end of the cycle

Waive Priority #5 - Arizona selects : John Smith
Arizona moves to the end of the priority
Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:07 a.m.
Go Habs Go
I believe we already decided that undrafted players from our free agent pool wouldn't be available.

I think we can vote on that much right now: 1-0 (Rico in favor)

I think I understand what you are saying about waivers, but what I'm telling you is that GM's are not going to invoke waiver priority for what are "marginal" players, at best.
If you HAVE to use waiver priority, only a few teams are even going to consider using it. This is basically going to reduce involvement in the process.
There might be 5 teams that end up signing players, and they will all just bounce around in the last 5 spots as they claim players.
There is no risk to the teams that use waiver priority beyond the first pickup, and too much risk to any teams at the top of the order.

Waivers were never implied to be the determining method of selection in a second wave, they are meant as tiebreakers only. If ties are eliminated, there's no need to include them in the process.

If you want an alternative that involves waivers, we are looking at going with a bidding system again. That means creating an AHL budget instead of other restrictions.
Then we could implement the same first wave free agency process, which we all know took way longer than expected due to slow responses/decisions on the part of GM's.
Especially so with waiver tiebreakers, as we had to go through multiple GM's before someone would sign the player.

In short, this process is simpler and more efficient. The players up for grabs are not worth waiver priority.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:58 a.m.
Spencer Foo, Will Butcher, etc are not marginal players.

The format was implied, which including ties, thus waiver priority was implied. I don't understand why we are just eliminating ties and waiver priority. We can assume that teams tie for players on ELC and thus making them invoke waiver priority.

If they are not worth waiver priority, then the waiver order should reset to what it was at the second round of the entry draft. It's unfair to force waiver priority for players that are on ELC, but not have to do the same for wave two of ELCs.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 2:49 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Spencer Foo, Will Butcher, etc are not marginal players.

The format was implied, which including ties, thus waiver priority was implied. I don't understand why we are just eliminating ties and waiver priority. We can assume that teams tie for players on ELC and thus making them invoke waiver priority.

If they are not worth waiver priority, then the waiver order should reset to what it was at the second round of the entry draft. It's unfair to force waiver priority for players that are on ELC, but not have to do the same for wave two of ELCs.

Well I guess we are going to disagree. Undrafted/unsigned players are marginal, that includes Foo and Butcher.
Teams hope those players will contribute at the NHL level, but the only reason they go so hard after them, is because they are basically free, low commitment players.
You only get 7 rounds of picks per year, so these signings are "more kicks at the can". That's it.

I've explained why I want to remove ties and waivers several times, and have given several reasons. I still don't understand why you're insistent on ties and waivers being involved. Confused

I don't understand the suggestion of re-setting waiver priority either. That's like offering refunds and screws over teams that didn't use their waiver priority.
The ELC's in the first round were given to players that have played in "adult" leagues or have a (semi)professional track record. College is amateur level.

Anyway, I'd like to get this moving in one direction or the other, and I think we've debated sufficiently, so let's get others opinions?

Do you guys think waivers/tiebreakers should be involved, or is a draft system without waivers/tiebreakers sufficient?
You can read back a couple of pages if you haven't been following along.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 3:19 p.m.
deleted
Teams were forced to exercise waiver priority on marginal players at best in the first wave, but they don't have to in the second wave? Thats where my main issue lies. Consistency. I get that we are removing ties, but we can reasonably assume that for guys like Foo and Butcher, teams would offer the max ELC, thus forcing teams to invoke waiver priority.

The reason why we would set the waiver priority again was to offer a fair playing field if we just disregarded waiver priority.

I will bump both plans for teams to vote on (assuming yours is still the same Rico.)
1. GM's must submit a list of all currently signed players and unsigned prospect they own.
I will compile these and check for duplicates so we can resolve any issues which might be made evident.
Someone will have to run through unsigned prospects and make sure they are actually owned by the team submitting them.
Teams will be able to search this list prior to adding a player to their submissions.

2. Submissions for second wave of free agency.
I will use anonymous team sheets for submissions and each team will be able to submit up to 10 players they have interest in.
Teams will have the opportunity to sign players in a draft style format beginning with the current waiver order. (This means no ties)
Only the players you are listed for will be available to be signed when it is your turn. If you submit the top 10 players available and you don't pick until 30th, you probably aren't going to get anyone, so try to submit players that will be in your range.
Each team will only be able to sign up to 5 players, including unsigned INTL/Domestic players and remaining NHL UFA's.

3. Are we okay with the list being public after all submissions have been made? (similar to the UFA Master sheet after bids were already made)
You would see which teams were interested in which players, but wouldn't be able to change your own selections, it may impact the order you make your selections in. (If you are the only one interested in a player, you wouldn't select them first)

4. Contracts
Players entering an ELC would be signed to a $925k contract with term dependent on their current age, as per NHL rules.
Players who qualify as free agents (no-ELC) may be signed to a 1 year term only, with salary dependent on the round they are selected in.
Round 1: $900k
Round 2: $800k
Round 3: $700k
Other: $650k

Does that look good enough for a vote? Did I miss anything?
Aug. 22, 2017 at 3:22 p.m.
A.) The Draft
1.) Any team that offers the sole offer to a FA, automatically has the option to sign them (if non-NHL, ELC restrictions apply).
2.) After that, we conduct the second wave in a thread where we go from waiver priority to see who signs who; something like this:

Detroit remains atop the waiver priority going into the regular season, but is no longer eligible to sign FAs w/ waiver priority

B.) Private Submission
Teams can submit as many names as they want to the BOG via Twitter or email, but they cannot sign more than 5 players that they list. The BOG would then transfer that information into a spreadsheet. Teams may only bid on players that they submit.

C.) Contracts
All contracts are 1 year deals, unless ELC, which ELC rules are to be upheld
Cycle 1 : 900,000
Cycle 2 : 800,000
Cycle 3 : 700,000
Other : 600,000
Aug. 22, 2017 at 4:20 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Teams were forced to exercise waiver priority on marginal players at best in the first wave, but they don't have to in the second wave? Thats where my main issue lies. Consistency. I get that we are removing ties, but we can reasonably assume that for guys like Foo and Butcher, teams would offer the max ELC, thus forcing teams to invoke waiver priority.

The reason why we would set the waiver priority again was to offer a fair playing field if we just disregarded waiver priority.

I will bump both plans for teams to vote on (assuming yours is still the same Rico.)

Post #107 and #108 for plans, in case they get bumped. Discussion on the topic is spread out over the last couple of pages.

The first round was done with bidding. Waivers were not solely for the purpose of breaking ties on ELC players.
As I said, players in the first round were Pro/Semi-Pro. This round is Amateurs and leftovers. That's the difference.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii

Post #107 and #108 for plans, in case they get bumped. Discussion on the topic is spread out over the last couple of pages.

The first round was done with bidding. Waivers were not solely for the purpose of breaking ties on ELC players.
As I said, players in the first round were Pro/Semi-Pro. This round is Amateurs and leftovers. That's the difference.

Instead of leftovers, I'd probably put it as "depth players" but yeah I agree.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 4:40 p.m.
Not quite. Marginal players from the KHL were forced to invoke waiver priority, very close in skill set to those from the NCAA. Not sure why that would be different.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 7:18 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
A.) The Draft

B.) Private Submission
Teams can submit as many names as they want to the BOG via Twitter or email, but they cannot sign more than 5 players that they list. The BOG would then transfer that information into a spreadsheet. Teams may only bid on players that they submit.

C.) Contracts
All contracts are 1 year deals, unless ELC, which ELC rules are to be upheld
Cycle 1 : 900,000
Cycle 2 : 800,000
Cycle 3 : 700,000
Other : 600,000

The one problem with this system is that there will be some players that people would want to sign, but not use waiver priority on and if there are multiple teams in this situation with the same player, we would need to have a fair system of deciding who gets to sign the player. I agree with you that there are guys like Foo, Butcher and possibly a few others that are worth using waiver priority on, but there are a bunch of good players that probably aren't.
Duster liked this.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:26 p.m.
What if we did this draft format for non-NHL players and have just a bidding sheet like in wave 1 for NHL FAs.

I honestly don't care if we do them together or separate, so long as waiver priority is included.
Bo53Horvat liked this.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:31 p.m.
What if we did this draft format for non-NHL players and have just a bidding sheet like in wave 1 for NHL FAs.

I honestly don't care if we do them together or separate, so long as waiver priority is included.

This is what I've been wanting. Keep it the same for wave 2 of NHL free agents and do a draft format for the NCAA/CHL free agents.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:36 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Quoting: Bo53Horvat

This is what I've been wanting. Keep it the same for wave 2 of NHL free agents and do a draft format for the NCAA/CHL free agents.

Why don't we just do waive 2 of NHL free agents as soon as possible, because I doubt there are many people who will want them and then we can figure out College and CHL free agents for after that.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:45 p.m.
Go Habs Go

I still don't see a need for waivers to be included, and it's only going to have a negative impact on people who participate in this wave, BUT I may have an idea that has merit.
Teams participating in the second wave of free agency, are getting players. Teams that don't participate, are not.
So to make it fair to the teams that are not getting players, they get moved up the priority order, so they get first dibs on waiver claims later.
It costs you your waiver priority to submit a list IF you sign ANY player(s).

Example ...

Current Order:

Arizona
Buffalo
Detroit
Dallas
Carolina
Winnipeg
Tampa Bay
NY Islanders
Calgary
Toronto
San Jose
St Louis
NY Rangers
Montreal
Chicago
Washington
Ottawa
Nashville
Pittsburgh
Colorado
Vegas
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Florida
Minnesota
Anaheim
Columbus
Vancouver
Boston

Now let's say Colorado, Vegas, NY Rangers, Vancouver, Winnipeg, St Louis, Montreal, submit a list and successfully sign a player in wave 2.

The new waiver order is:

Arizona
Buffalo
Detroit
Dallas
Carolina
Tampa Bay
NY Islanders
Calgary
Toronto
San Jose
Chicago
Washington
Ottawa
Nashville
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Florida
Minnesota
Anaheim
Columbus
Boston
Winnipeg
St Louis
NY Rangers
Montreal
Colorado
Vegas
Vancouver

Basically dealing with waivers in one shot to get it out of the way, for the only reason I can agree it serves a purpose. Then we can carry on without ties/waivers being involved.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:46 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG

I still don't see a need for waivers to be included, and it's only going to have a negative impact on people who participate in this wave, BUT I may have an idea that has merit.
Teams participating in the second wave of free agency, are getting players. Teams that don't participate, are not.
So to make it fair to the teams that are not getting players, they get moved up the priority order, so they get first dibs on waiver claims later.
It costs you your waiver priority to submit a list IF you sign ANY player(s).

Example ...

Current Order:

Arizona
Buffalo
Detroit
Dallas
Carolina
Winnipeg
Tampa Bay
NY Islanders
Calgary
Toronto
San Jose
St Louis
NY Rangers
Montreal
Chicago
Washington
Ottawa
Nashville
Pittsburgh
Colorado
Vegas
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Florida
Minnesota
Anaheim
Columbus
Vancouver
Boston

Now let's say Colorado, Vegas, NY Rangers, Vancouver, Winnipeg, St Louis, Montreal, submit a list and successfully sign a player in wave 2.

The new waiver order is:

Arizona
Buffalo
Detroit
Dallas
Carolina
Tampa Bay
NY Islanders
Calgary
Toronto
San Jose
Chicago
Washington
Ottawa
Nashville
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Florida
Minnesota
Anaheim
Columbus
Boston
Winnipeg
St Louis
NY Rangers
Montreal
Colorado
Vegas
Vancouver

Basically dealing with waivers in one shot to get it out of the way, for the only reason I can agree it serves a purpose. Then we can carry on without ties/waivers being involved.

That sounds like a fair idea, and it will definitely make things simpler
Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:53 p.m.
It should only cost you if someone else wants that player. I shouldn't have to have any change on the order if I am the only one who signs Foo.

edit : submits Spencer Foo; only one team can sign him lol
Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:55 p.m.
It should only cost you if someone else wants that player. I shouldn't have to have any change on the order if I am the only one who signs Foo.

I agree with that...if you are the only bid,you shouldn't use waiver claim.
Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:04 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Can we agree on this then?

Non-Participating teams stay put.
Participating teams are bumped to the back (provided they successfully claim at least one player).
Teams that only sign uncontested players go to the top of the participating teams (uncontested meaning no competing bids).
Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:08 p.m.

Participating teams are bumped to the back (provided they successfully claim at least one player).
Teams that only sign uncontested players go to the top of the participating teams (uncontested meaning no competing bids).

is this for every player or geared specifically towards one section?
Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:09 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG

And would the teams bumped to the bottom and the teams who move to the top of the participating teams stay in the same order as they currently are in the waiver order?
Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:13 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I'm just copying the end of the order for demonstration purposes.
Let's say Vegas and St Louis sign only uncontested players ...

Los Angeles
Florida
Minnesota
Anaheim
Columbus
Boston
----
St Louis
Vegas
----
Winnipeg
NY Rangers
Montreal
Colorado
Vancouver

The draft format I proposed is representative of the waiver order, but these are actually happening simultaneously, so the order of teams remains static, only the section of the waiver order they end up in would change.
Does that answer the questions?
Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:15 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG

Los Angeles
Florida
Minnesota
Anaheim
Columbus
Boston
----
St Louis
Vegas
----
Winnipeg
NY Rangers
Montreal
Colorado
Vancouver

The draft format I proposed is representative of the waiver order, but these are actually happening simultaneously, so the order of teams remains static, only the section of the waiver order they end up in would change.

Yeah that makes sense. The only question now is would this only be for College/CHL FAs or also the players in the second waive of NHL FAs
Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:18 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: TonyStrecher

Los Angeles
Florida
Minnesota
Anaheim
Columbus
Boston
----
St Louis
Vegas
----
Winnipeg
NY Rangers
Montreal
Colorado
Vancouver

Yeah that makes sense. The only question now is would this only be for College/CHL FAs or also the players in the second waive of NHL FAs

All players. Regardless of who or what, these teams are still gaining assets, so it comes with a cost. It's up to the GM's to decide if it is worth it.
If you are signing any contested players, you are going to the back group anyway, so you might as well make the most of it and get who you can.
One of these players may not be worth waiver priority, but two or three could be worth it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll