SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Sorry Leaf Fans. Liljgren thoughts.

Sep. 9, 2017 at 9:50 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Although those little pre season tournaments are kinda of meaningless. yesterdays. "rookies" game was played last night.
My thoughts on Timmy Liljegren. He looked like the junior hockey player (which he his). Appears to needs lots of development to be competent AHL player, never mind an NHL player. There was a reason he was drafted 17th overall.
Talented, and smart players can adjust quickly and make the transition from juniors to minor pros to the NHL. But it doesn't happen over the summer or maybe not even in couple of years.
So hockey fans whatever team you support, likely most 2017 draft choices will take years to be NHLers.
Sep. 9, 2017 at 10:47 a.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
agreed. I don't expect him in the NHL for atleast another 3 seasons. He is the player that has the raw talent, but he needs to mature it. -4 isn't something to be quiet proud of in a rookie tournament, but like u said, its meaningless. These players need time
Sep. 9, 2017 at 11:18 a.m.
I think you guys are being way too critical on what we all may look back upon as simply a tough night! Realize that these rookies had one (1) 35 minute practice prior to the tournament. Nobody expects Liljegren to just step in and grab a spot, but most think he will end up this year starting top 4 Marlies, and QBing the PP.
Pal, highly unfair to question why he was drafted 17th overall, as going into last season, he was easily ranked in the top 3 available prospects and fell only after having a very rough time with Mono. He looked phenominal at the Junior showcase over the summer, for Sweden, and think we should give him more than 15 minutes before we set him on a 5 year path, or declare him a bust. If Leafs believe after the main camp that he likely needs more than a year of development you'll likely see him sent back to Sweden for the year and then back with the Marlies in 18/19. But not after 15 minutes.
goldie078 and Emoon liked this.
Sep. 9, 2017 at 11:38 a.m.
As a Habs fan who was present at the Ricoh last night, Liljegren looked terrible. I think there are some reasons including him adjusting to the north american ice. I know some leafs fans thought extremely highly of him, backed up by the media who just increased his hype. some of the mistakes he made, were the same mistakes he has been making for the past 2 seasons in the european leagues. Imo maturity will perfect his game, so most likely he will take at least 2-3 seasons. I don't personally see him as a top pairing d man, but an effective bottom 4, with offensive potential defenseman. But I agree that some ppl were pretty harsh on him. Like as a habs fan we had exceedingly high expectations for Martin Reway (who never played last season because of a career threatning heart condition), but he had an avg first 2 periods, and really stood out the 3rd.
PrisonBull liked this.
Sep. 9, 2017 at 11:48 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Doug, I'm certainly not calling him a bust. But I'll stick to my thoughts why he drafted 17th. Did the 16 previous other GMs make such a big mistake by bypassing him? They picked other players for a reason. Certainly they all knew that he had mono in 2017, it just isn't Leaf management and Leaf fans that know this. I can't see top four Marlies as some have suggested, I can't see a junior playing those minutes, especially defensively but hey we'll see how it all plays out.
I don't what his best path of development. My thoughts are the Marlies. Maybe 50 games with Marlies and the World Juniors is better than Rogle Sweden, Gee, he could even play junior with Niagara Falls. As a mid round first rounder, you what think the earliest he sees any substantial play in the NHL is 2019/20.
Interesting that their were six Dmen were drafted in a row in 2017. 13th to 18th. Fifteen years from now we can make a proper analysis.
Sep. 9, 2017 at 11:54 a.m.
Yeah Pal, my thinking is much the same. I only bring him up to Leafs when he is ready to be a top 4 pairing Dman. Leafs are laden with smallish offensive defense men and while they could use a Right shot, currently Zaitsev fits that bill and they want Reilly to play with a shutdown guy. Therefore they won't rush him! Definitely won't see him in the OHL, either Marlies or Sweden, and in either case, playing in the World Juniors.
Sep. 9, 2017 at 12:02 p.m.
Follow CapFriendly
Moved this to the Leafs discussion page.
Sep. 11, 2017 at 8:31 a.m.
VegasGMV2.LeafsGMV1
After taking in the tournament...I am not concerned about Liljegren. He needs time to adjust to a smaller ice surface. One could easily have come away from the tournament discussing how sens fans should be concerned about Chabot or Canadiens fans should worry over Mete and Juulsen against Ottawa saturday. It is nothing more than a couple games that really hold very little meaning.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll