Forums/Armchair-GM

Arizona Makes The Playoffs Finally

Created by: FryesLeapMaine
Team: 2018-19 Arizona Coyotes
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2018
Published: Jan. 25, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
One big time defender on his way out for a package.

One package for a high end goalie.

One realistic signing of a top 4 RHD.

Resulting in a team I feel would be a playoff contender without any team getting ripped off imo.

Arizona pushes it's way into the playoffs.

Minnesota becomes a cup favorite.

Montreal decides against hurting for a long time and instead rips the bandaid off quickly. They'll suck for 3 or 4 years, but then they'd be back in the playoff hunt. It's realistically their best chance at winning a cup imo.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
2$800,000
4$3,500,000
2$800,000
3$2,000,000
3$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$7,000,000
2$1,200,000
Trades
ARI
  1. Brodin, Jonas
  2. Ennis, Tyler
  3. Eriksson Ek, Joel
Additional Details:
2018 1st Round Draft Pick

This might seem like taking a step backwards in moving Ekman-Larsson, but if he's not going to re-sign then he's got to be moved out for some quality assets.

The resulting consequences of OEL not signing with the Coyotes would make Arizona offer him up. What I believe they would be looking for is a deal around a replacement LHD who's younger, a top prospect and a 1st round draft pick. Minnesota can meet all of the criteria as long as they can shed Ennis too they will make this deal.
MIN
  1. Ekman-Larsson, Oliver
Additional Details:
OEL Signs an 8y 8m deal to play on a competitive team. With Suter and OEL at LHD the Wild would be stacked.
ARI
  1. Price, Carey
Additional Details:
Arizona snags Price for assets that aren't essential. The theme of this mock was teams pushing for the playoffs and Minnesota did that but Arizona is doing that as well. John Chayka needs to win now and this will be his 3rd year... Don Maloney got his ass booted for missing the playoffs for 3 consecutive years so Chayka is probably aware of that. Price would be enough to get the team over the playoff hump.
MTL
  1. Hill, Adin
  2. Rieder, Tobias
  3. Strome, Dylan
Additional Details:
2018 1st round pick Arizona (Pick #2 #3 or #4) If Arizona won the lottery they'd probably just select Dahlin, but there is only a 20% chance of that.

Montreal grabs a guy they think can be a top C in Strome. A solid skilled winger in Rieder. A goalie prospect in Hill. As well as the big fish of a top 4 pick with Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk or Boqvist being the likely targets. Realistically Montreal could wind up with 2 top 5 picks if they have luck with their own lottery pick.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$80,000,000$63,858,611$0$3,675,000$16,141,389
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$885,833$885,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$839,167$839,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C
UFA - 1
$821,666$821,666 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,475,000$5,475,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,937,500$3,937,500
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$745,000$745,000 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:03 p.m.
NateElder12
Green on the top pair? Price trade is horrendous for ARZ. Not a fan of this at all. Why on earth would they trade OEL for Brodin and then potentially Dahlin for Price? They could draft an OEL replacement in Dahlin and then trade OEL for something actually good instead of an overused dman and a low ceiling forward prospect and cap dump? it doens't make a ton of sense to me. It probably make more sense to trade OEL/1st round pick for the #1 overall pick + just to get Dahlin.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:14 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Not sure why Minni would do it. They have enough cap issues. Brodin and ELC Ericsson might be better value. Can't the Coyotes find a cheaper but good goalie instead of Price and keep that # 1 pick. But I see your logic in both trades.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:21 p.m.
Quoting: NateElder12
Green on the top pair? Price trade is horrendous for ARZ. Not a fan of this at all. Why on earth would they trade OEL for Brodin and then potentially Dahlin for Price? They could draft an OEL replacement in Dahlin and then trade OEL for something actually good instead of an overused dman and a low ceiling forward prospect and cap dump? it doens't make a ton of sense to me. It probably make more sense to trade OEL/1st round pick for the #1 overall pick + just to get Dahlin.

durrrr someone can't read. I said if Arizona got the top pick the trade wouldn't happen right in the trade. Thanks for proving you're a fool by rating this a 1 when you clearly couldn't even comprehend it properly. That's a glaring example of little kids being little kids.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:21 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Not sure why Minni would do it. They have enough cap issues. Brodin and ELC Ericsson might be better value. Can't the Coyotes find a cheaper but good goalie instead of Price and keep that # 1 pick. But I see your logic in both trades.

Again, I said this trade only happens IF NOT THE #1 PICK.... they only have a 20% chance to land the #1 pick, so why is everyone giving it to them already?
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:26 p.m.
Honestly I've battered a Price to Arizona trade in my head a million times. It really is the most logical destination IF:

- Price can be convinced by cousin Shane Doan to go there.
- Arizona management realizes they'll need to spend some money for this team to finally get better.

If those two criterion are met, than there is a deal to be made.

Habs need young centerman like Strome or Dvorak, etc.
Habs need picks.
Habs need a rebuild and sell off talent for futures.
Arizona needs a superstar presence that Price can give. More importantly a good goalie though. Not to mention a marketing boost.
Arizona needs to start being able to compete now.
Arizona has the cap space.

The only major problem is the two "IF's". Those are big hurdles to jump but if they are, Arizona and Price is a solid match for a trade where both teams could be happy with their returns.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: FryesLeapMaine
Again, I said this trade only happens IF NOT THE #1 PICK.... they only have a 20% chance to land the #1 pick, so why is everyone giving it to them already?

I didn't mean the # 1 pick overall. Just questioning if Arizona can't get good goaltending for 5.5m sign a UFA for 5m and keep their pick (about three overall) as better value than one Price at 10.5m
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:36 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Honestly I've battered a Price to Arizona trade in my head a million times. It really is the most logical destination IF:

- Arizona management realizes they'll need to spend some money for this team to finally get better.

If those two criterion are met, than there is a deal to be made.

Habs need young centerman like Strome or Dvorak, etc.
Habs need picks.
Habs need a rebuild and sell off talent for futures.
Arizona needs a superstar presence that Price can give. More importantly a good goalie though. Not to mention a marketing boost.
Arizona needs to start being able to compete now.
Arizona has the cap space.

The only major problem is the two "IF's". Those are big hurdles to jump but if they are, Arizona and Price is a solid match for a trade where both teams could be happy with their returns.

I've thought of price to Arizona a bunch as well as I like doing Montreal as a Boston fan to give more sanity on their players values. The biggest "IF" to me is where the 1st rounder ends up. IF it's #2 then I think Montreal likes the deal better than if it's #4, but it's hard to gauge the value and change it on the fly like that. I think Strome is the piece at C that Montreal needs, he's doing great in the NHL but needs a little more coaching to become a true top 6 center. With Montreal's emphasis on skill he'd be a great addition. The winger also helps out but he's an afterthought in the deal. Montreal is short on RW's and he can play there on the 3rd line. It's more about Montreal dipping for 3 years and then rising above where they are currently.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:37 p.m.
I didn't mean the # 1 pick overall. Just questioning if Arizona can't get good goaltending for 5.5m sign a UFA for 5m and keep their pick (about three overall) as better value than one Price at 10.5m

okay, which ufa goalies do you think are capable of turning things around for them?
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:46 p.m.

Well lets look at it from the other side of the shoe (minus the idea of the draft pick being high)

You are assuming Arizona can just sign any UFA 5.5M good goalie. If it was that easy i think they would of done it already.
Again with the 5M for free agency. Who they going to sign? How many good UFA's actually are available in free agency? What are the odds, Arizona is the best option for them?
The pick yes, I can agree with that but lets just assume its a player like Svechnikov. How many more scoring wingers do they need? Not that one can never have enough but will that player be enough to push them over the edge?

Everyone likes to say "we can use that cap space better,etc) Did edmonton use their cap space better on Lucic and Russell? Did Buffalo use it better on Okposo and Johnson? Did Vancouver with Eriksson and DelZotto?

Cap space is only used wisely if it is actually used wisely! If you plan to use that cap space to resign guys like McDavid, Matthews, etc. okay you have a point there but in free agency??

So maybe if the pick is Dahlin, I can agree. Thats a generational talent that should not be traded for almost anything. but below that are very good prospects but no guaranteed superstars. Unless Dylan Strome is still a guaranteed superstar in your mind?
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:48 p.m.
I've thought of price to Arizona a bunch as well as I like doing Montreal as a Boston fan to give more sanity on their players values. The biggest "IF" to me is where the 1st rounder ends up. IF it's #2 then I think Montreal likes the deal better than if it's #4, but it's hard to gauge the value and change it on the fly like that. I think Strome is the piece at C that Montreal needs, he's doing great in the NHL but needs a little more coaching to become a true top 6 center. With Montreal's emphasis on skill he'd be a great addition. The winger also helps out but he's an afterthought in the deal. Montreal is short on RW's and he can play there on the 3rd line. It's more about Montreal dipping for 3 years and then rising above where they are currently.

I wasn't commenting on the 1st to be honest. Any price trade isn't necessarily contingent on a 1st but rather good solid young pieces. I'd love the 1st but i wouldn't nix a deal if it wasn't included.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 6:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
okay, which ufa goalies do you think are capable of turning things around for them?

Not sure, but I ask you this. Look at Price, has he turned the fortunes of Montreal? Counting this year, eleven seasons, three rounds of playoff wins. So is he or any goalie, truly going to turn around a team? Bad goaltending can sink a team, but can one goalie lift a team that much over the course over of a year? If you really think Price can do lead Arizona to the playoffs, fine make the deal, but really can he?
It's the somewhat the same logic, I see in many nonsensical trades to the Leafs....Trade for OEL or McDonagh or Karlsson, with just 1.5m years on their contract for two Leaf good regulars and suddenly the Leafs are THAT much better to challenge for the Cup.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:01 p.m.
Not sure, but I ask you this. Look at Price, has he turned the fortunes of Montreal? Counting this year, eleven seasons, three rounds of playoff wins. So is he or any goalie, truly going to turn around a team? Bad goaltending can sink a team, but can one goalie lift a team that much over the course over of a year? If you really think Price can do lead Arizona to the playoffs, fine make the deal, but really can he?
It's the somewhat the same logic, I see in many nonsensical trades to the Leafs....Trade for OEL or McDonagh or Karlsson, with just 1.5m years on their contract for two Leaf good regulars and suddenly the Leafs are THAT much better to challenge for the Cup.

This is nothing like trading for a guy with 1.5 years on his deal. Do you agree that Price is the best goalie in the world? Do you agree that Goalie is the most important position in ice hockey? If you agree with these 2 statements then you're literally being insane to oppose this.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Marco: My impressions, of Doan. Seems like a nice guy, good player on poor team, did a lot in the community. But apparently all those year as a Coyote he didn't waive his NMC (his contract last year) to help the Coyotes, get assets. Didn't seem want to go a Cup run, have fun doing that, get that Cup experience and bring back that Cup experience when he resigned with the Coyotes.
I could be wrong, and every player can do what he wants, but I thought Doan was quite happy playing his 82 game schedule....that was enough. For that he is idolized in Arizona? I don't get it.
Maybe he tells Carey.. "There no team or public pressure to make the playoffs, and the playoff runs ....few are far between, you'll love all the free time."
-
Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:10 p.m.
Palhal you're hilarious... A leafs fan talking down about another team missing the playoffs rofl that's pure gold. Your team missed the playoffs the most between 2015 and 2005 buddy.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:12 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
This is nothing like trading for a guy with 1.5 years on his deal. Do you agree that Price is the best goalie in the world? Do you agree that Goalie is the most important position in ice hockey? If you agree with these 2 statements then you're literally being insane to oppose this.

The fact that you call it ice hockey? But thanks for not acknowledging the facts, that the best goalie has won three playoff rounds in eleven years. So while I'm neutral on the trade, not opposed as you think, you seem to be under the illusion that Price can carry Arizona to far greater success. So, please don't call me insane when you cannot factually support an argument. Want to make the trade fine, but I don't think Arizona will ever get the results (due to Price) that you suggest.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:16 p.m.
The fact that you call it ice hockey? But thanks for not acknowledging the facts, that the best goalie has won three playoff rounds in eleven years. So while I'm neutral on the trade, not opposed as you think, you seem to be under the illusion that Price can carry Arizona to far greater success. So, please don't call me insane when you cannot factually support an argument. Want to make the trade fine, but I don't think Arizona will ever get the results (due to Price) that you suggest.

I think if Price can carry the 2016-2017 Canadiens to the playoffs he can do it for Arizona. They literally scored less goals than the league average but because Price was so good they ended up with over 100 points. Apparently you missed that entire season....
Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Palhal you're hilarious... A leafs fan talking down about another team missing the playoffs rofl that's pure gold. Your team missed the playoffs the most between 2015 and 2005 buddy.

You're not even a hockey fan, when you call it ice hockey. That's for the red herring you just threw out about the Leafs. Look at Price 11 playoffs seasons (counting this year), three playoff rounds. Just goes against your fascination that one player will make that much difference. Again I'm not opposed to the deal, though you called me insane, you're either delusional or just are being argumentative (just to support the trade) that one player is going to make THAT much difference.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think if Price can carry the 2016-2017 Canadiens to the playoffs he can do it for Arizona. They literally scored less goals than the league average but because Price was so good they ended up with over 100 points. Apparently you missed that entire season....

The fact that you call ice hockey, makes me think you're a newbie to the NHL. Stick to field hockey.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:22 p.m.
The fact that you call ice hockey, makes me think you're a newbie to the NHL. Stick to field hockey.

No I was doing that for you because you clearly have no knowledge of Carey Price and how he basically always makes the playoffs even with bad teams.
Jan. 26, 2018 at 4:58 p.m.

Im not sure I understand what you're getting at here palhal but maybe you/i misinterpreted something. Either way, I emphatically said that it is a BIG "IF" for this to work.
Jan. 26, 2018 at 7:02 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Im not sure I understand what you're getting at here palhal but maybe you/i misinterpreted something. Either way, I emphatically said that it is a BIG "IF" for this to work.

Regarding any trade of Price, I just don't know if Montreal would like draft picks as much sure fire prospects. IMO the posts that maybe St Louis makes sense. Instead of Arizona, the Blues are in Cup contention. Maybe the Blues think, Price would put them over the top. They have lots of prospects and have enough "good money" to send back to Montreal in a trade.

I'll stick to my original comment, that I don't think Price could help Arizona that much, especially if it costs Arizona a top pick and prospects.

If the Habs decide to rebuild, too bad they didn't to it a year ago. Trading Price at his peak with a year under the old contract, keep Sergachov and not signing Alzner. But all teams/management always seem to fix things for one last chance at a long playoff run before the rebuild. You have a good pulse on the Habs, what direction should they be taking?
Jan. 26, 2018 at 7:59 p.m.
Wild hang up. OEL doesn't fill any need for them, but the trade opens up big holes in their future.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll