Forums/Armchair-GM

What a real rebuild would look like

Created by: HawksFan28
Team: 2018-19 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 2, 2018
Published: Feb. 2, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A total rebuild makes absolutely no sense at all but I would suspect this is what one would look like...But it will never happen, Toews will never be traded.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
2$2,250,000
1$925,000
1$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
Skura, Dylan
3$925,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Perreault, Mathieu
  2. 2019 1st round pick (WPG)
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (WPG)
  4. 2020 1st round pick (WPG)
CHI
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (ARI)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (ARI)
ARI
  1. Hossa, Marián
Additional Details:
Hossa has a 5.275M cap hit with a 1M per salary for the next 3 years. That is worth something to a team looking to hit the cap floor. Put him on the roster and scratch him every night, or just IR him.
CHI
  1. Clarkson, David
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Seabrook, Brent
Additional Details:
Assuming Seabrook would waive his NMC knowing the Hawks are rebuilding.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$80,000,000$49,803,461$1,232,500$982,500$30,196,539
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 1
Skura, Dylan
$925,000$925,000
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA
$706,666$706,666
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 4
$872,500$872,500
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:00 a.m.
Billy739
MTL has higher picks to offer and Pacioretty who would play great with Kane i think
or Galchenyuk and you know how MB loves getting players from CHI like Danault and Shaw who
are 2/4ths of our regular faceoff players both wingers so getting a center would be worth over paying it they are all 2019 and 2020 picks
we both know even with JT montrel wont rank higher then a west team stacked like WPG in the draft lottery
Feb. 2, 2018 at 8:11 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Arizona doesn't give up picks.....Chicago does. Vegas has no motivation to obtain Seabrook since Clarkson is permantley LTIRed. Ruutu is going to get a lot more from than 1.2,m from some team. Winnipeg really doesn't need Toews and his contact. Just spend that 10m on UFAs and keep their picks.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 9:13 a.m.
Who adds what?
Clarkson for Seabrook is a headcanon. Since Vegas no longer needs insurance to keep it above the salary floor and a rebuilding Chicago club, if it succeeds in trading away the full salaries of Kane, Toews, and Keith, just might... wow.

Vegas does need a right handed defenseman, and Seabrook's not what he once was, but not awful. Neat idea.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 9:14 a.m.
Banned
laugh Hossa's career is done, No way is Arizona giving up a 2nd+3rd for a player that's not going to play. You'd be lucky to get a 2019 7th round pick for Hossa right now.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:35 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Larkinisking
laugh Hossa's career is done, No way is Arizona giving up a 2nd+3rd for a player that's not going to play. You'd be lucky to get a 2019 7th round pick for Hossa right now.

I don't think you get it..... This is merely a cap move for Arizona.. Hossa has a 5.275 cap hit and his actual salary is 1M, which is good for any team that is looking to hit the cap floor. Hossa doesn't have to play nor would he play..... Basically Arizona is getting 5.275 in cap for 1 million, and that makes him valuable to a budget team.
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:42 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Eli
Clarkson for Seabrook is a headcanon. Since Vegas no longer needs insurance to keep it above the salary floor and a rebuilding Chicago club, if it succeeds in trading away the full salaries of Kane, Toews, and Keith, just might... wow.

Vegas does need a right handed defenseman, and Seabrook's not what he once was, but not awful. Neat idea.

This isn't insurance .... Seabrook isn't what he used to be but he is far from done. The guy is an asset, and I think any playoff team - that has the goal of winning the cup would love to have him... The only problem with Seabrook is his contract - no he is not worth his contract, but having Seabrook playing is a hell of a lot better than having David Clarkson NOT playing for the next several years.... Seabrook will only have 3 years left on his contract when Clarkson expires..

The notion Seabrook is some useless "cap dump" is pretty silly..... He can still play 22 minutes a night, probably more in Vegas..

Look, I'm not trying to sell some trade idea here, I'm merely pointing out your analysis here is misguided.
Eli liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:52 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Billy739
MTL has higher picks to offer and Pacioretty who would play great with Kane i think
or Galchenyuk and you know how MB loves getting players from CHI like Danault and Shaw who
are 2/4ths of our regular faceoff players both wingers so getting a center would be worth over paying it they are all 2019 and 2020 picks
we both know even with JT montrel wont rank higher then a west team stacked like WPG in the draft lottery

Well, the Hawks would NEVER trade both Kane and Toews ........ Even in a rebuild you still need some scoring...

None of this is going to happen...... The Hawks core is their core until the end.... Could I see one of the core guys being traded at some point? sure in 7 years when Kane or Toews is 36+ and the Hawks obviously have a new core in place or are at a point where it's time to totally rebuild... Obviously right now the Hawks are closer to winning another cup than they are having to totally rebuild.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:18 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: HawksFan28
Well, the Hawks would NEVER trade both Kane and Toews ........ Even in a rebuild you still need some scoring...

None of this is going to happen...... The Hawks core is their core until the end.... Could I see one of the core guys being traded at some point? sure in 7 years when Kane or Toews is 36+ and the Hawks obviously have a new core in place or are at a point where it's time to totally rebuild... Obviously right now the Hawks are closer to winning another cup than they are having to totally rebuild.

i meant Toews i only mentioned kane to say if Patches was part of the return from Toews that Kane would have an awesome 30 goal scorer to play with .
i dont want Kane its not that he is bad or anything we just have like 938209328390820 wingers and 2 centers one of which is 35 and UFA
Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:27 p.m.
Who adds what?
Edited Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:43 p.m.

The Caps once traded Oates, Bondra, Jagr, Gonchar, Jones.... who am I leaving out? It could happen.

Well of course you think my comment is crazy. You misread it. Look, Vegas took on Clarkson's salary in a trade to make sure they would stay above the floor if they ended up selling big at their first trade deadline. Then they started winning, so they no longer need that insurance.

Knowing what I just said, try rereading my comment, and you'll find I liked your trade idea. But I'm also fine to keep arguing if you would prefer that?
Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:33 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: palhal
Arizona doesn't give up picks.....Chicago does. Vegas has no motivation to obtain Seabrook since Clarkson is permantley LTIRed. Ruutu is going to get a lot more from than 1.2,m from some team. Winnipeg really doesn't need Toews and his contact. Just spend that 10m on UFAs and keep their picks.

they have been taking Cap on to avoid cash payout for years because they cant afford to sign anyone more then 5.5-6m or they could not cover the cost of operations .
there is about 7 NHL teams like that 3 of which the NHL covers the cost of their operations overages for years now

ARZ,FLA,and NJD are all places that would take the cap hit to pay less for that reason to avoid NHL having to pay their operations cost like MIN,CAR and CBJ (aka the NHL smallest market bar none )

also permanent LTIR means nothing to VGK,they have 7 injured players 2 likely career ending and ZERO players moved to IR for cap relief
they are using the 18.5M to make it so they arent under Cap but given they look to be re-signing UFA's instead of trading them for picks like their GM said
they will need that cap space soon as they have 2 UFAs who will demand over 5 m and 2 RFAs who will hit offer sheets .
Eli liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 8:02 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
they have been taking Cap on to avoid cash payout for years because they cant afford to sign anyone more then 5.5-6m or they could not cover the cost of operations .
there is about 7 NHL teams like that 3 of which the NHL covers the cost of their operations overages for years now

ARZ,FLA,and NJD are all places that would take the cap hit to pay less for that reason to avoid NHL having to pay their operations cost like MIN,CAR and CBJ (aka the NHL smallest market bar none )

also permanent LTIR means nothing to VGK,they have 7 injured players 2 likely career ending and ZERO players moved to IR for cap relief
they are using the 18.5M to make it so they arent under Cap but given they look to be re-signing UFA's instead of trading them for picks like their GM said
they will need that cap space soon as they have 2 UFAs who will demand over 5 m and 2 RFAs who will hit offer sheets .

Sorry Billie. You don't know the rules of LTIR. Arizona received benefits....picks, or a upgrade in the draft, to take on LTIR, they did NOT have to give picks for these players.
Teams are not "punished" for having players on LTIRs cap wise, except for the one exception, so it's not true that can't sign UFAs during the off season.
The only detriment to having players on LTIR, so it MIGHT for a team that is close to the cap to move their performance bonuses from one that year to the next. The Leafs are in that position but I doubt if affects Vegas at all because they have few players making big money on their ELCs.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 8:06 p.m.
Billy739
Sorry Billie. You don't know the rules of LTIR. Arizona received benefits....picks, or a upgrade in the draft, to take on LTIR, they did NOT have to give picks for these players.
Teams are not "punished" for having players on LTIRs cap wise, except for the one exception, so it's not true that can't sign UFAs during the off season.
The only detriment to having players on LTIR, so it MIGHT for a team that is close to the cap to move their performance bonuses from one that year to the next. The Leafs are in that position but I doubt if affects Vegas at all because they have few players making big money on their ELCs.

wow you are oblivious

you couldnt even spell my name right with it right infront of you but your insight is suppose to be sound ?
Feb. 2, 2018 at 8:16 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
wow you are oblivious

you couldnt even spell my name right with it right infront of you but your insight is suppose to be sound ?

Billybob

My insight my not be sound, but the facts are facts. If you don't understand the rules of the cap, LTIR or why trades are made fine. But please just because you are unknowing, don't think other people are. Stick to the Canadians and Rocket.
For being so obvious incorrect for so long, you must be trolling. Thanks for given the opportunity to put you on my do not read cause it's a waste of time list.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 9:08 p.m.
Billy739
Billybob

My insight my not be sound, but the facts are facts. If you don't understand the rules of the cap, LTIR or why trades are made fine. But please just because you are unknowing, don't think other people are. Stick to the Canadians and Rocket.
For being so obvious incorrect for so long, you must be trolling. Thanks for given the opportunity to put you on my do not read cause it's a waste of time list.

and again you dont have enough common sense to address someone like an adult
i dont see how anything you can say hold weight

i mean jeez i just look at your posts vs likes and have to think people dont agree with you on essentially anything
even a moderate fan would have had 1000 likes in 14000 posts but you , you are a special kind of ignorant that just turns off people
Feb. 2, 2018 at 10:01 p.m.
I don't think you get it..... This is merely a cap move for Arizona.. Hossa has a 5.275 cap hit and his actual salary is 1M, which is good for any team that is looking to hit the cap floor. Hossa doesn't have to play nor would he play..... Basically Arizona is getting 5.275 in cap for 1 million, and that makes him valuable to a budget team.

arizona still doesn't give picks to obtain hossa. they might be agreeable to take hossa and his cap and his insured salary for cap reasons. hawks still would have to add a sweetener, just like the flyers, wings and panthers did.
Feb. 3, 2018 at 1:12 a.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: clark
arizona still doesn't give picks to obtain hossa. they might be agreeable to take hossa and his cap and his insured salary for cap reasons. hawks still would have to add a sweetener, just like the flyers, wings and panthers did.

Why would the Hawks do that? Hossa is on LTIR, the Hawks don't even have to move him..... This would benefit Arizona, not the Hawks. Arizona gets a 5.275 cap hit for 1 million, not many players have that type of contract -- as a matter of fact NONE do considering front loaded contracts are now prohibited under the new CBA..

Hossa's cap hit/contract holds significant value to budget teams, especially teams that struggle to reach the cap floor..

The idea that the Hawks would have to add is misguided at best.
Feb. 3, 2018 at 8:24 a.m.
Why would the Hawks do that? Hossa is on LTIR, the Hawks don't even have to move him..... This would benefit Arizona, not the Hawks. Arizona gets a 5.275 cap hit for 1 million, not many players have that type of contract -- as a matter of fact NONE do considering front loaded contracts are now prohibited under the new CBA..

Hossa's cap hit/contract holds significant value to budget teams, especially teams that struggle to reach the cap floor..

The idea that the Hawks would have to add is misguided at best.

misguided at best? it would be the first time ever that teams (Arizona in this case) would have to give up picks to take a a cap hit. certainly you're misguided about how cap dumps, even how LTIR works. david clarkson has two more left on his ltir and is he guaranteed never to play again. vegas would pay arizona a sweetener, not big one to take the contract, not the other way around.

you're incorrect again about front loaded contracts....I wouldn't expect any less. teams can front load contracts with money or signing bonuses. what isn't allowed is having different caphits in different years. so now the rules have players making same cap hit year after year.
weber's contract is front loaded. even last years' signing of matt martin by the leafs is front loaded.
Feb. 3, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
HawksFan28
Edited Feb. 3, 2018 at 3:16 p.m.
Quoting: clark
misguided at best? it would be the first time ever that teams (Arizona in this case) would have to give up picks to take a a cap hit. certainly you're misguided about how cap dumps, even how LTIR works. david clarkson has two more left on his ltir and is he guaranteed never to play again. vegas would pay arizona a sweetener, not big one to take the contract, not the other way around.

you're incorrect again about front loaded contracts....I wouldn't expect any less. teams can front load contracts with money or signing bonuses. what isn't allowed is having different caphits in different years. so now the rules have players making same cap hit year after year.
weber's contract is front loaded. even last years' signing of matt martin by the leafs is front loaded.

Oh you can front-load a contract, you just cant front-load all the value in the first few years of the contract, it has to be broken up.

Yes, you don't understand that all other cap dumps come with the same salary as the cap hit - with Hossa's contract that isn't the case. Hossa has a 5.275 cap hit with a 1 million dollar salary which makes Hossa's contract unique. Hossa has what is called a "front-loaded contract", and they were banned under the CBA for this very reason. Teams cried "cap circumvention", which of course is why if Hossa retires the Hawks with be it with a massive recapture penalty....

So yes, Hossa's contract holds significant value to a team looking to reach the salary cap floor, considering a team like Arizona would get 5.275 million in cap for only 1 million in actual salary....

You would be right tho if Hossa's actual salary WAS 5.275 (the same as his cap hit) but like I said - it's not - it's only 1 million...

I could see several teams at the cap floor getting into a bidding war over the last 2 years on Hossa's contract...

Do you understand what I'm saying now? do you understand that Hossa only has a 1 million actual salary and that is valuable to a budget team that needs to hit the cap foor because they get 5.275 in cap space for 1 million in salary?
Feb. 3, 2018 at 6:56 p.m.
Oh you can front-load a contract, you just cant front-load all the value in the first few years of the contract, it has to be broken up.

Yes, you don't understand that all other cap dumps come with the same salary as the cap hit - with Hossa's contract that isn't the case. Hossa has a 5.275 cap hit with a 1 million dollar salary which makes Hossa's contract unique. Hossa has what is called a "front-loaded contract", and they were banned under the CBA for this very reason. Teams cried "cap circumvention", which of course is why if Hossa retires the Hawks with be it with a massive recapture penalty....

So yes, Hossa's contract holds significant value to a team looking to reach the salary cap floor, considering a team like Arizona would get 5.275 million in cap for only 1 million in actual salary....

You would be right tho if Hossa's actual salary WAS 5.275 (the same as his cap hit) but like I said - it's not - it's only 1 million...

I could see several teams at the cap floor getting into a bidding war over the last 2 years on Hossa's contract...

Do you understand what I'm saying now? do you understand that Hossa only has a 1 million actual salary and that is valuable to a budget team that needs to hit the cap foor because they get 5.275 in cap space for 1 million in salary?

That's for agreeing with me that Hossa had a front loaded contract....money wise. The cap still is equal throughout the deal.....yes that part changed in the last CBA. But where you are totally wrong is that Arizona has to give up picks for Hossa. Sorry, if ever other LTIR, Arizona received picks....they didn't have to give them up. There are other teams that want the benefits of not having a player on LTIR and will give a sweetener to Arizona, albeit not a a very big one.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll