O'Reilly

Created by: Jerry
Team: 2018-19 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 2, 2018
Published: Apr. 20, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
BUF Trade:

CGY Perspective: This is a lot for CGY to give up but I think it is worth it for O'Reilly. He gives them superior depth at center and a reliable face-off man who can defend and score. I believe that CGY can afford to trade Jankowski as they have Dube and Phillips in the system for center depth. Andersson can be traded as they have Valimaki, Kylington, and Fox as prospects, and it may be tough for them to fit Andersson on the NHL squad with the logjam they have on D.

BUF Perspective: BUF gets a good young center in Jankowski who can play now along with Bennett, who gets a fresh start and would be given a chance to play in the Top 6. Mangiapane is a point/gm player in the AHL who could be a regular in the NHL next year. Andersson is NHL ready as well; he's not the fastest skater but he can make crisp passes up the ice. So BUF gets 3-4 NHL players with high potential for ROR. They do not receive draft picks because the Flames don't have many, but picks have no guarantee to turn into NHL players.

TOR Trade:

CGY Perspective: Martin is brought in for FWD depth who brings grit to the lineup. CGY retains $1M of Stone's salary to get the deal done.

TOR Perspective: Stone gives TOR RHD depth at a low cost. He also has a cannon of a slap shot.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$850,000
1$650,000
1$650,000
1$750,000
2$950,000
2$825,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,750,000
2$3,000,000
1$650,000
Trades
CGY
  1. O'Reilly, Ryan ($1,500,000 retained)
BUF
  1. Andersson, Rasmus
  2. Bennett, Sam
  3. Mangiapane, Andrew
Additional Details:
RFA rights to Mark Jankowski
TOR
  1. Stone, Michael ($1,000,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$80,000,000$65,611,710$0$1,700,000$14,388,290

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 4
$6,375,000$6,375,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$375,000$375,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,300,000$4,300,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
UFA
$850,000$850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 4
$4,650,400$4,650,400
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 3
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,857,143$3,857,143
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 20, 2018 at 12:28 a.m.
Go Cavs
I would do this. It's a great deal for Buffalo.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 12:32 a.m.
Huge overpay for o Reilly... Good player but definitely an over pay.
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 12:38 a.m.
Shibbal18
Sabres arent retaining on ROR, but the pieces coming back are fine enough
sabres89 liked this.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 1:23 a.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18

Agree. Not retaining.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:25 a.m.
Eichel Tower

So you dislike one item but you like the players you give this only 3 stars.
Give me a break, who cars about a few dollars retained, those are 4 young players and all may have a chance to be in the NHL. This is a HUGE over payment and you give it 3 stars.
You need to be a lot less critical, because this is not the 1st time I have seen you do this. A HUGE over payment and you give it 3 stars?
I am sure you will push back at me for some silly minor reason, just as you lowered this rating 2 stars for some silly petty reason and you may even block me, but for this over payment, retaining is well worth the $1,500,000.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:29 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: GMTD
So you dislike one item but you like the players you give this only 3 stars.
Give me a break, who cars about a few dollars retained, those are 4 young players and all may have a chance to be in the NHL. This is a HUGE over payment and you give it 3 stars.
You need to be a lot less critical, because this is not the 1st time I have seen you do this. A HUGE over payment and you give it 3 stars?
I am sure you will push back at me for some silly minor reason, just as you lowered this rating 2 stars for some silly petty reason and you may even block me, but for this over payment, retaining is well worth the $1,500,000.

I gave it 3 stars because one gave it 5 one gave it 1 stop over thinking. Also you'll care about those dollars when you cant retain the players you traded for
Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:34 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Five stars my friend!
When I first looked at your proposal, I passed it over.
I went back and looked at the players 2 former 1st round centers (both are currently in the NHL and have performed at least at a 2nd line level), a RHD
Andrew Mangiapane top end may only be a bottom 6 forward
Andersson, R a RHD (hard to find) could easily be
Jankowski and Andersson are 2 of CGY top 3 prospects
YES let's make a deal cheers
Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:40 a.m.
Eichel Tower
I gave it 3 stars because one gave it 5 one gave it 1 stop over thinking. Also you'll care about those dollars when you cant retain the players you traded for

and a Calgary CF GM gave it 1 star. Give what it is worth. Stop being so petty and knocking down a post that is unbelievable for the Sabres. As I have said I refrained from commenting in the past but I could not contain myself this time. 3 stars on a trade that gives the Sabres 2 2nd line forwards and a player who may be as good as Ristolainen You make up excuses for everything. Grow up, 3 stars was just bad, accept that. You would kill to have that big of a return for O'Reilly.
This is part of his scouting report:
Andersson possesses average size, good passing ability and above-average vision. His 64 points as a defenseman was tops on Barrie and finished third in OHL scoring as a defenseman, (first among draft eligible defenseman).
Yes he could replace Ristolainen.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:46 a.m.
Shibbal18
and a Calgary CF GM gave it 1 star. Give what it is worth. Stop being so petty and knocking down a post that is unbelievable for the Sabres. As I have said I refrained from commenting in the past but I could not contain myself this time. 3 stars on a trade that gives the Sabres 2 2nd line forwards and a player who may be as good as Ristolainen You make up excuses for everything. Grow up, 3 stars was just bad, accept that. You would kill to have that big of a return for O'Reilly.
This is part of his scouting report:
Andersson possesses average size, good passing ability and above-average vision. His 64 points as a defenseman was tops on Barrie and finished third in OHL scoring as a defenseman, (first among draft eligible defenseman).
Yes he could replace Ristolainen.

No one cares about the star rating
Apr. 20, 2018 at 8:57 a.m.
Eichel Tower
No one cares about the star rating

Then do ever use it again, because NO ONE CARES about it. So since you used it, are you saying you are a "NO ONE".
Grow up, there you go again making an excuse for your inexcusable actions.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:25 a.m.
Shibbal18
Then do ever use it again, because NO ONE CARES about it. So since you used it, are you saying you are a "NO ONE".
Grow up, there you go again making an excuse for your inexcusable actions.

Coming from a guy who gave 5 stars to every roster that traded ROR. "Inexcusable actions" are you kidding? Their is 0 standards for star ratings and no reward or repercussions. Its completely superfluous and cosmetic. Im not the one who needs to grow up dude. Go get your coffee in and grab a snickers
Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:46 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Coming from a guy who gave 5 stars to every roster that traded ROR. "Inexcusable actions" are you kidding? Their is 0 standards for star ratings and no reward or repercussions. Its completely superfluous and cosmetic. Im not the one who needs to grow up dude. Go get your coffee in and grab a snickers

I stand by 5 stars rating for trading O'Reilly, he is a cancer and over the 3 years he has been here it has spread to the entire team. Colorado traded him and Duchene and the Aves are in the playoffs. Colorado cut the cancerous growth from their team, then MacKinnon scores 97 pts in 74 games while Buffalo and Ottawa are 31st and 30th. I cannot wait for him to be traded, yes right now for a bucket of pucks would make this team better.
He is the prime example of the mess that DATM left Botterill all rolled into one player, giving away players, giving away bad contracts, lack of desire to be the best, selfish on the ice. Oh Lordie, I want him gone along with DATM favorite moody GK.
Botterill knew he had a problem with the desire on the team and brought in 4 Stanley Cup rings, but it was too late and not enough. I trust Jason will move him and the team will be better for it.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 11:16 a.m.
Don't like this move much from a Flames perspective. It's a ton to give up for a guy who is essentially the same player as Mikael Backlund. If you look at their scoring rates, play driving, expected goals%, almost everything is identical.

Personally, I think the Flames would be better off to sign or trade for a scoring winger, and hope that Jankowski can still develop into a decent scorer at the NHL level. I wouldn't mind seeing them move Hamonic for a young RW if there's a deal out there. Don't think he has fit very well with the Flames.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: Erude91
Huge overpay for o Reilly... Good player but definitely an over pay.

Quoting: ekpaul87
Don't like this move much from a Flames perspective. It's a ton to give up for a guy who is essentially the same player as Mikael Backlund. If you look at their scoring rates, play driving, expected goals%, almost everything is identical.

Personally, I think the Flames would be better off to sign or trade for a scoring winger, and hope that Jankowski can still develop into a decent scorer at the NHL level. I wouldn't mind seeing them move Hamonic for a young RW if there's a deal out there. Don't think he has fit very well with the Flames.

I agree this is an overpay for ROR but if the Flames were to go after him, that is what I think it would take knowing that other teams will be in on him. It is probably too rich for Treliving but this kind of shakeup is what I think he has to do to send the players a message that last season was unacceptable.

A right-handed scoring winger would be nice and I think it would take something similar to what I gave up for ROR to get 'er done. As for Hamonic, I would give him another year. He never looked comfortable with Brodie so hopefully the new coach will see that and pair him with someone else.
ekpaul87 liked this.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 4:45 p.m.
Edited Apr. 20, 2018 at 4:54 p.m.

I can see why BUF wouldn't want to retain but if that were the case, either BUF needs to add a 2nd or 3rd round pick OR CGY keeps Mangiapane. Happy to see that you like the foundation of this trade though!

Five stars my friend!
When I first looked at your proposal, I passed it over.
I went back and looked at the players 2 former 1st round centers (both are currently in the NHL and have performed at least at a 2nd line level), a RHD
Andrew Mangiapane top end may only be a bottom 6 forward
Andersson, R a RHD (hard to find) could easily be
Jankowski and Andersson are 2 of CGY top 3 prospects
YES let's make a deal cheers

Quoting: Ristoeichel
I would do this. It's a great deal for Buffalo.

Thanks! I think BUF does very well in this trade. In reality it might be too much for CGY to give but that is what I think it would take to get a deal done and I am glad you agree!

For the record Shibbal18 and GMTD, I don't care what ratings I get. So relax. This is just for fun and I am just happy to see friendly hockey debates. Hopefully your Sabres turn it around next year!
Shibbal18 liked this.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 6:11 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: Jerry
I can see why BUF wouldn't want to retain but if that were the case, either BUF needs to add a 2nd or 3rd round pick OR CGY keeps Mangiapane. Happy to see that you like the foundation of this trade though!

Thanks! I think BUF does very well in this trade. In reality it might be too much for CGY to give but that is what I think it would take to get a deal done and I am glad you agree!

For the record Shibbal18 and GMTD, I don't care what ratings I get. So relax. This is just for fun and I am just happy to see friendly hockey debates. Hopefully your Sabres turn it around next year!

As for retaining $1,500,000 that to me is not a big deal if you are giving me 2 really good pieces and 2 good pieces, so YES BUFFALO WOULD DO VERY WELL IN THIS TRADE.
As for Shibbal18, I guess i had enough of his nit picking on posts, if it is a good post in general say so, he will dissect posts until there is nothing left. I try to find a positive and build on it, just as I did with your trade. Maybe I was too rough, but as I said he does it way too often and as you saw will defend his point of view to the end, even painting himself into a corner. I mean if the stars do not mean anything as he said, then do not give them to rate a site. But thank you for your post and thank you for your comment about my rant. I think if you look at my posts, I try to be helpful not spitful.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 6:26 p.m.
Shibbal18

Keep Mangiapane, im good with the rest.

Ill probably steal this at some point without Mangiapane
Apr. 21, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
As for retaining $1,500,000 that to me is not a big deal if you are giving me 2 really good pieces and 2 good pieces, so YES BUFFALO WOULD DO VERY WELL IN THIS TRADE.
As for Shibbal18, I guess i had enough of his nit picking on posts, if it is a good post in general say so, he will dissect posts until there is nothing left. I try to find a positive and build on it, just as I did with your trade. Maybe I was too rough, but as I said he does it way too often and as you saw will defend his point of view to the end, even painting himself into a corner. I mean if the stars do not mean anything as he said, then do not give them to rate a site. But thank you for your post and thank you for your comment about my rant. I think if you look at my posts, I try to be helpful not spitful.

I too think BUF would get enough in this deal to retain some salary. Maybe not $1.5M but they would probably need to retain some for CGY to do a deal for ROR. I appreciate your feedback as it is very helpful!
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 21, 2018 at 4:29 p.m.
Eichel Tower
I too think BUF would get enough in this deal to retain some salary. Maybe not $1.5M but they would probably need to retain some for CGY to do a deal for ROR. I appreciate your feedback as it is very helpful!

Thank you very much, IMO getting that return is well worth retaining $1,500,000.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll