SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Will Jake Gardiner be a Leaf next season?

Will Jake Gardiner be a Leaf next season?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 27, 2018 at 10:06 a.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Sorry, but this is a joke, right?
But yes, i agree, it fills one hole and creates another.

Bozak, Plekanec, and Moore are all UFA's so that leaves Matthews and Kadri as their only full time centers. The solution doesn't seem to be in-house as their only other options are Gauthier and Brooks, who are move too unproven to handle a 3C spot, let alone a 4C spot.

Marleau can play center, but he worked so well with Kadri I can't imagine they'd split that up. Nylander can also play center, but he had a down season and I don't think moving him away from Matthews is the answer.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 10:17 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Daryl
Parayko, Trouba, Provorov, etc. Someone of similar age that is taking top four ice time, if Nylander got moved it would likely be a 1 for 1.

Provorov is a LHD
Apr. 27, 2018 at 10:18 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Provorov is a LHD

Yeah my bad. I wrote that list before drinking my morning coffee, lol.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 10:19 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Bozak, Plekanec, and Moore are all UFA's so that leaves Matthews and Kadri as their only full time centers. The solution doesn't seem to be in-house as their only other options are Gauthier and Brooks, who are move too unproven to handle a 3C spot, let alone a 4C spot.

Marleau can play center, but he worked so well with Kadri I can't imagine they'd split that up. Nylander can also play center, but he had a down season and I don't think moving him away from Matthews is the answer.

Komarov is a UFA too. But what about Marner? He's not a 'full-time' centre, but not a 'full-time' winger either.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 10:20 a.m.
Follow CapFriendly

Does a down season mean he didn't improve from last years stats? He basically had the exact same stat line from last season.
2016/17 81GP 61 Points Playoffs 6GP 4 Points
2017/18 82GP 61 Points Playoffs 7GP 4 Points
krakowitz liked this.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 10:34 a.m.
Below Market Value
Komarov is a UFA too. But what about Marner? He's not a 'full-time' centre, but not a 'full-time' winger either.

Marner most certainly is a full-time winger. When was the last time he spent any considerable amount of time at center in the NHL? He played most of this season on the wing of either Bozak or Kadri who are full-time centers.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 10:38 a.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: Jarvis
Does a down season mean he didn't improve from last years stats? He basically had the exact same stat line from last season.
2016/17 81GP 61 Points Playoffs 6GP 4 Points
2017/18 82GP 61 Points Playoffs 7GP 4 Points

Down season was the wrong choice of wording. But with a top 10 draft pick player that young and of his play style, you'd like to see at least some improvement in the scoring department; and his weak playoff performance didn't do him any favors. You could chalk it up to a sophomore slump, or you could call it regression.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 1:18 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Marner most certainly is a full-time winger. When was the last time he spent any considerable amount of time at center in the NHL? He played most of this season on the wing of either Bozak or Kadri who are full-time centers.

I thought he was playing centre when Kadri was suspended for games 2-4?
Apr. 27, 2018 at 5:52 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I mean, Bozak is a UFA i guess, that might create a hole at centre, but they still have quite a few good centres.

You have said this a lot. Matthew and Kadri are the only two NHL centres the Leafs have now. That's it. Nylander could be one. Aaltonen from the AHL and possibly Gauthier from the AHL. Marner isn't and Marleau is just a short term emergency fill in.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 6:05 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

You somewhat nailed the Leafs lack of depth at centre....Matthews and Kadri....that's all. Aaltonen from the Marlies should be Leaf next year I think Nylander HAS to be given a shot in October and see how it goes, though he still might see PP at wing. Maybe Bozak is signed short term. Gauthier is 4th/5th NHL centre and Brooks...still a Marlie next year. Marleau...just emergency fill in centre. Would love to Statsny for 2 or 3 years as would 10 other teams.
May 7, 2018 at 10:06 a.m.
Jake will be back and nothing will change for Toronto until they get 2 top pairing defencemen and some abrasive forwards.
He is just another leaf getting too much ice time in the wrong role.

The Leafs have no answer to any team with a strong cycle game unless Freddy stands on his head.
This was obvious last year against Washington and again this year vs Boston.
As a team they are far too soft

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit