Forums/Armchair-GM

Twist on the Risto Trade - Edmonton Fans

Created by: Shibbal18
Team: 2018-19 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: May 20, 2018
Published: May 21, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Edmonton gets rid of Lucic and immediately gets 2.1 mill in cap relief this year, then the full 6 mill starting next year when Moulsons contract ends. This at the cost of Yamamoto. The value comes from the cost of taking the Lucic contract and giving Edmonton free cap space + the value of Ryan Strome from the original deal (which was Bear, Strome and EDM's first for Risto) Sabres have a TON of room going into Mittelstadt's and Dahlin's first contracts (which so happens is around the time the Lucic contract expires as well as Okposo's). All these trades are obviously done before the draft. I think that shows Tavares enough to convince him to sign in Buffalo. Hutton paid as a starter to come in and mentor Ullmark while probably taking 65/35 of the starts this year. I wouldnt mind seeing Fasching get some time with Lucic when called up (Lucic-Girgensons-Fasching).
2018 Draft:
1 - Rasmus Dahlin
10 - Jesperi Kotkaniemi/Joel Farabee (if Kotkaniemi is taken Sabres go Farabee)
11 - Jett Woo (Woo is my sleeper pick and with 3 in the first 11, the Sabres can afford to take a shot at him. I dont feel he will drop out of the first round. His value only dropped because he got hurt, he still showed enough to be a top pick. Sabres can afford to let him develop over a few years)
32 - Filip Hållander
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$700,000
2$700,000
2$700,000
2$700,000
2$650,000
1$650,000
3$800,000
5$4,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$11,000,000
1$650,000
Dahlin, Rasmus
3$925,000
Budik, Vojtech
2$650,000
Glotov, Vasili
2$650,000
Hagel, Brandon
2$650,000
2$4,250,000
2$3,000,000
Kotkaniemi, Jesperi
3$925,000
Woo, Jett
3$897,500
Trades
BUF
  1. Dal Colle, Michael
  2. Leddy, Nick
  3. 2018 1st round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Larsson, Johan
  2. O'Reilly, Ryan
  3. Scandella, Marco
Additional Details:
The rights to Robin Lehner
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,000,000$70,327,857$0$2,377,500$8,672,143

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 8
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$5,600,000$5,600,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 4
Dahlin, Rasmus
$925,000$925,000
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,142,857$5,142,857
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 2
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
UFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 21, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Done deal, nice doing business with ya.
Shibbal18 liked this.
May 22, 2018 at 12:04 a.m.
I like Eich
This is a MASSIVE gamble on Lucic returning to form, we already have a big contract scare in Okposo still here. I don’t see Lucic being the type of player Buffalo takes a risk on as he is a very heavy forward which is completely against Botts saying at end of year that he needs to add speed.

Lehner and Oreilly moving is fine, but I don’t like Scandella moving out. He was one of the few bright spots on this awful roster
May 22, 2018 at 12:15 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: mikeyscav
This is a MASSIVE gamble on Lucic returning to form, we already have a big contract scare in Okposo still here. I don’t see Lucic being the type of player Buffalo takes a risk on as he is a very heavy forward which is completely against Botts saying at end of year that he needs to add speed.

Lehner and Oreilly moving is fine, but I don’t like Scandella moving out. He was one of the few bright spots on this awful roster

If Lucic sucks you can bury him for a few years and buy him out (maybe even for free with the next CBA). Like I said, even with Lucic the Sabres have a ton of money when Mittelstadt and Dahlin need new contracts, and with the prospects they are getting from that trade alone, they'll have a ton of elc's to sit on for the majority of Lucic's contract. Money is not an issue there, Sabres can easily afford that gamble. I do think out of principle Lucic will bounce back, but with better line mates in a lower line role, he may get 50-60 points (Okposo should as well, if his concussion clears up). Scandella is very meh, and McCabe will over take him. The only thing that stopped McCabe last year was destroying his shoulder in training camp, which eventually shut him down for the season. Leddy is a vast improvement over Scandella and McCabe passes him, theirs no reason to sit on him as a 3rd LHD when they also have Guhle and Pilut there too.
May 22, 2018 at 12:26 a.m.
Hmmmmm this one I can not get on board with..... Lucic the risk is too high 4 years at $6,000,000 a year for a slow winger is not what we need to do right now.

This team is finally going to be able to see Matty Moulson in the rear view mirror why go right back into another albatross of a contract..... now one could argue that you let Lucic prove he is worth sticking around in 18/19 since I do not see us being a playoff team..... if he proves he is worth it then you go on with your bad self.... if he proves he is not worth the contract then bury him in the minors....call it the Matty Moulson Part 2....

Let's continue on that platform..... we make the deal for Lucic but instead of dealing Matty M in the deal we keep him in the minors.... you have Edmonton add one of Caleb Jomes, Tyler Benson or Kirill Maksimov.... the Sabres will take on the albatross of the contract that is Lucic but we want more from them to do this.....

I would suggest that you wait until after July 1st to do the NYI deal having Buffalo be on the hook for $6,500,000 of ROR and get Ho-Sang in the deal. I realize for that to happen you would need to get the team under the cap.... maybe have Edmonton retain $1,000,000 a year on Lucic.

You and I still are not in lock step with Carter Hutton but it is your team and you are smarter than I so go on with your bad self.
May 22, 2018 at 12:29 a.m.

The forwards in our top 9 that can skate are eichel and mittlestadt, maybe nylander if he figures some stuff out. You would be adding yamamoto and picks 10 and 11 in the near future. Bear and leddy add to an improved d. Im sick of larsson and moulson probably never plays another nhl game. You also add dal colle who i dont have much hope for, to forwards like asplund and pu who are also strong skaters. So yes, lucic will make 6 million a year on the 3rd line, but the bigger worry for me is that we have basically no rhd that we know can be counted on. We have dahlin who has played right side on the bigger european rinks, i suspect he will be asked to play much more on the left on the smaller rinks here. Then you have bogosian, bear, and nelson. Be great if we could move okposo for a decent middle pair rhd but i dont believe in santa claus.

Edit- and grabbner who can still fly was added, along with tavares. I believe the knock on tavares before he was drafted was his skating- kinda like reinhart, the talent was obvious but the skating needed work. Tavares improved more than any player i can think of. Was he a roberts school guy?
May 22, 2018 at 12:36 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: sabres89
The forwards in our top 9 that can skate are eichel and mittlestadt, maybe nylander if he figures some stuff out. You would be adding yamamoto and picks 10 and 11 in the near future. Bear and leddy add to an improved d. Im sick of larsson and moulson probably never plays another nhl game. You also add dal colle who i dont have much hope for, to forwards like asplund and pu who are also strong skaters. So yes, lucic will make 6 million a year on the 3rd line, but the bigger worry for me is that we have basically no rhd that we know can be counted on. We have dahlin who has played right side on the bigger european rinks, i suspect he will be asked to play much more on the left on the smaller rinks here. Then you have bogosian, bear, and nelson. Be great if we could move okposo for a decent middle pair rhd but i dont believe in santa claus.

Bear and Nelson have NHL experience. Both of them competing for play time should also get the best out of them. If Bogo goes down that would hurt, but Sabres also have Housley as a coach and Dahlin, Bear, and Nelson are all the types of D men that Housley likes to work with. Bogo may even get a push from those 2 to keep his job as well. I'm not to worried about it, they may stumble but the team has a lot of talent to bail them out, and they have good leadership amongst them
May 22, 2018 at 12:45 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: wagsnags
Hmmmmm this one I can not get on board with..... Lucic the risk is too high 4 years at $6,000,000 a year for a slow winger is not what we need to do right now.

This team is finally going to be able to see Matty Moulson in the rear view mirror why go right back into another albatross of a contract..... now one could argue that you let Lucic prove he is worth sticking around in 18/19 since I do not see us being a playoff team..... if he proves he is worth it then you go on with your bad self.... if he proves he is not worth the contract then bury him in the minors....call it the Matty Moulson Part 2....

Let's continue on that platform..... we make the deal for Lucic but instead of dealing Matty M in the deal we keep him in the minors.... you have Edmonton add one of Caleb Jomes, Tyler Benson or Kirill Maksimov.... the Sabres will take on the albatross of the contract that is Lucic but we want more from them to do this.....

I would suggest that you wait until after July 1st to do the NYI deal having Buffalo be on the hook for $6,500,000 of ROR and get Ho-Sang in the deal. I realize for that to happen you would need to get the team under the cap.... maybe have Edmonton retain $1,000,000 a year on Lucic.

You and I still are not in lock step with Carter Hutton but it is your team and you are smarter than I so go on with your bad self.

Yamamoto is a pretty big add. Moving Moulson helps both teams out, Sabres get rid of his cap now, EDM loses it next year. I see this team as a playoff team. I also see Lucic producing more. As I explain the Sabres have a TON of cap room even with Lucic. 20 mill under cap next year, 40 mill the year after that, they easily have enough to sign Mittelstadt, Dahlin and Co. They'll also have a lot of talented ELC's to step up over the legnth of the contract. Keeping a talented team while staying under the cap. All of you seem too fixated on that contract. The contract absolutely doesnt effect them. Even so he put up 30 points, from the 3rd line, thats better than what the Sabres have had over the last 8 years. What's not to like about Hutton?
May 22, 2018 at 1:02 a.m.
Deals seem pretty good to me, but this team is not going to be competetive with 22 mill tied up in two second pairing d men, and two thid line wingers
May 22, 2018 at 1:07 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: Hackadart16
Deals seem pretty good to me, but this team is not going to be competetive with 22 mill tied up in two second pairing d men, and two thid line wingers

Okposo and Leddy will both produce, Lucic is a question mark and Bogo can show up or not, Im over him. Not like money is a factor anyway
wagsnags liked this.
May 22, 2018 at 1:37 a.m.
Would you consider replacing the first round pick with a second for the Edmonton deal?
May 22, 2018 at 1:37 a.m.
BootBoi
That ED deal would turn Chia's hatahs2lovahs.
Taking Moulson could make it possible.
Well done..-~
May 22, 2018 at 1:40 a.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
Yamamoto is a pretty big add. Moving Moulson helps both teams out, Sabres get rid of his cap now, EDM loses it next year. I see this team as a playoff team. I also see Lucic producing more. As I explain the Sabres have a TON of cap room even with Lucic. 20 mill under cap next year, 40 mill the year after that, they easily have enough to sign Mittelstadt, Dahlin and Co. They'll also have a lot of talented ELC's to step up over the legnth of the contract. Keeping a talented team while staying under the cap. All of you seem too fixated on that contract. The contract absolutely doesnt effect them. Even so he put up 30 points, from the 3rd line, thats better than what the Sabres have had over the last 8 years. What's not to like about Hutton?

I am a huge Yamamoto fan he would be a nice add.... my point to your trade is that I think the Sabres should keep Moulson and require Edmonton to add to the deal..... they need to get out from under the Lucic deal for cap room purposes..... as I stated in my first reply to your team..... if Lucic does not work out you bury him in the minors (Matty Moulson Part 2)..... the organization has gone this far in eating the Moulson contract why move on now if you can get more from Edmonton by not including him in the deal..... I do not agree that Edmonton will see Matty M as value in the deal.... even if they do Peter C will grouse about having to take him from Bots.

For me I am not a fan of a 32 year old goalie who will be 33 during the season who has never started more than 40 games in the NHL in a season. In addition you have to pay him $4,250,000 to land him. Just call me a skeptic of the age and the cap hit..... I will take my chances on Linus and a FA.

You and I see things a bit differently.... you think that with the right moves the team is a playoff team in 18/19...... I think there is no way that this team will compete for a playoff spot in 18/19.....

I think we both agree that in 20/21 this team will be making a run at the CUP!!!!
May 22, 2018 at 1:41 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: Oilfan1717
Would you consider replacing the first round pick with a second for the Edmonton deal?

No, Risto is a huge loss for Buffalo, Bear isnt there to step into Risto's shoes and while Lucic's cap doesnt hurt the Sabres, it hurt's EDM, they need to pay to dump that.
May 22, 2018 at 1:44 a.m.
No, Risto is a huge loss for Buffalo, Bear isnt there to step into Risto's shoes and while Lucic's cap doesnt hurt the Sabres, it hurt's EDM, they need to pay to dump that.

You’re asking Edmonton to trade away its future in exchange for an offence-only d-man and to be rid of a bad contract. It’s a lot to ask. Too much. At a minimum I’d ask for Bear to be removed from the deal.
May 22, 2018 at 1:51 a.m.
Shibbal18
I am a huge Yamamoto fan he would be a nice add.... my point to your trade is that I think the Sabres should keep Moulson and require Edmonton to add to the deal..... they need to get out from under the Lucic deal for cap room purposes..... as I stated in my first reply to your team..... if Lucic does not work out you bury him in the minors (Matty Moulson Part 2)..... the organization has gone this far in eating the Moulson contract why move on now if you can get more from Edmonton by not including him in the deal..... I do not agree that Edmonton will see Matty M as value in the deal.... even if they do Peter C will grouse about having to take him from Bots.

For me I am not a fan of a 32 year old goalie who will be 33 during the season who has never started more than 40 games in the NHL in a season. In addition you have to pay him $4,250,000 to land him. Just call me a skeptic of the age and the cap hit..... I will take my chances on Linus and a FA.

You and I see things a bit differently.... you think that with the right moves the team is a playoff team in 18/19...... I think there is no way that this team will compete for a playoff spot in 18/19.....

I think we both agree that in 20/21 this team will be making a run at the CUP!!!!

I dont see Moulson as value, it's just to move salary to give the Sabres breathing room from the ceiling. I think asking more from Edmonton would make them walk. They dont want to gut their already thin system to move a bad contract, plus I doubt the Sabres could ask for the first then, which I'd rather have.
With Hutton, Goalies (and even Dmen) are different from forwards. Tim Thomas was 31 when he got his first shot, and 33 when he won the starting job. Looking at the top goalies in the league, most are in their 30's. If the goalies are good, they are good, they dont drop off in their 30's like forwards (this is also why I am conservative with Ullmark). Hutton's stats have gone up and up every year. Plus its only a 2 year contract, and if Ullmark is to be the future, he should be able to step in if Hutton falters.
May 22, 2018 at 1:53 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: Oilfan1717
You’re asking Edmonton to trade away its future in exchange for an offence-only d-man and to be rid of a bad contract. It’s a lot to ask. Too much. At a minimum I’d ask for Bear to be removed from the deal.

Risto is not an offense only D man. I'll go with the original trade if you think it's too much, then EDM can deal with the cap issues
May 22, 2018 at 8:24 a.m.
Eichel Tower

Five stars for trading O'Reilly

I do not want Lucic on my team, he is a disgrace to hockey. If Chiarelli offered to withhold half of his salary and offered me this years 1st to take him, I would say no.
wagsnags liked this.
May 22, 2018 at 8:25 a.m.
Okposo and Leddy will both produce, Lucic is a question mark and Bogo can show up or not, Im over him. Not like money is a factor anyway

Money /capspace is always a factor if you wanna contend and okposo and leddy will produce like 3rd line /2nd pairing guys, atleast on a competetive team thats where they would play in the line up
May 22, 2018 at 8:26 a.m.

And yeah bogo isnt bad but hes still a second pairing guy getting paid too much

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll