Forums/Armchair-GM

Taking a step back?

Created by: Juice
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 30, 2018
Published: May 30, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Do you think this team takes a step back in 18-19 as young wingers take more prominent roles?

Dallas fans would you make any tweaks to this deal?
Winnipeg fans, does that offer get the deal done?

Marner's agent is starting negotiations around $10m. I've avoided adding any big contracts past this next season to make sure that the cap room will be available to get him and Matthews under contract.

I've been chatting about a Spezza trade. Used as a way to let Dallas shed his salary while allowing the Leafs to move the Martin contract and fill a bottom 6 centre position.

And yes, I keep going back to Winnipeg to find a RHD. Some (ie. palhal) will not be happy with me trading a 1st rounder for a guy with 1 year left on his deal, but I don't think Winnipeg wants to take salary back and not sure anything less than a 1st gets it done. Rumours have his next contract at a similar price to the $5.5 he's making now so could be looked at as a long-term re-signing if he looks good on our back -end.

Instead of risking Sparks going thru waivers I've kept him as the backup and demoted McElhinney. If McE gets claimed on waivers, so be it.

No UFA signings as the roster is pretty close to the cap. As soon as the season starts you put Horton on LTIR and give yourself some room to make moves during the season.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
1$700,000
1$925,000
5$6,250,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,000,000
Performance Bonuses, 2017-18
1$2,550,000
Performance Bonuses, 2018-19
1$3,650,000
Trades
DAL
  1. Martin, Matt
  2. 2019 4th round pick (TOR)
WPG
  1. Borgman, Andreas
  2. 2018 1st round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$80,000,000$79,120,833$2,550,000$3,700,000$879,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW
UFA - 6
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, LW, RW
RFA
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Performance Bonuses, 2017-18
$2,550,000$2,550,000
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Performance Bonuses, 2018-19
$3,650,000$3,650,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 30, 2018 at 3:18 p.m.
Math and Sports
Winnipeg fan here. That deal most certainly gets done. I think it goes without saying you'd to either specify you want to speak with Myers about an extension beforehand or want a conditional 2nd round pick if he doesn't resign. The only criticism I think anyone would have with it is that the Jets need Centres and RHDs not LHDs. Brooks maybe, but I don't think anyone is that picky.
May 30, 2018 at 3:25 p.m.
Quoting: TheCelt
Winnipeg fan here. That deal most certainly gets done. I think it goes without saying you'd to either specify you want to speak with Myers about an extension beforehand or want a conditional 2nd round pick if he doesn't resign. The only criticism I think anyone would have with it is that the Jets need Centres and RHDs not LHDs. Brooks maybe, but I don't think anyone is that picky.

Thanks for the comment. We obviously don't have any RHD we could offer up but Brooks wouldn't be a deal breaker to include. Even Aaltonen if the Leafs don't think he'll crack the big team this next season.
May 30, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
Math and Sports
Quoting: Juice
Thanks for the comment. We obviously don't have any RHD we could offer up but Brooks wouldn't be a deal breaker to include. Even Aaltonen if the Leafs don't think he'll crack the big team this next season.

I'm making the 5th draft of my team (a little excessive, but I'm bored in summer classes soooooooo) and I have us trading Myers and a 6th to you for your 1st, Brooks, and your Russian prospect Igor Ozhiganov. I think both of those guys are long shots to make the NHL, but they both give us outside shots at addressing our depth.
May 30, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I agree with your opening statement the the Leafs step back in 2018/19. By next April though, they might be better than the previous years' addition.
Johnson, Kapanen, Dermot, Aaltonen, Sparks get full time duty. Nylander moves to centre.
I'm not sure in Myers is the guy Leafs want. Maybe Borgman and the pick is better value. Wait to see if Leafs need a UFA dman in 2019 instead of saying Myers is a long term answer.
May 30, 2018 at 3:52 p.m.
Quoting: TheCelt
I'm making the 5th draft of my team (a little excessive, but I'm bored in summer classes soooooooo) and I have us trading Myers and a 6th to you for your 1st, Brooks, and your Russian prospect Igor Ozhiganov. I think both of those guys are long shots to make the NHL, but they both give us outside shots at addressing our depth.

I don't have a problem with the asking price....not sure, simply from a perception base...if management would want to sign a KHL guy and then trade him before he gets on the ice...kind of a bad look.
May 30, 2018 at 3:57 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I agree with your opening statement the the Leafs step back in 2018/19. By next April though, they might be better than the previous years' addition.
Johnson, Kapanen, Dermot, Aaltonen, Sparks get full time duty. Nylander moves to centre.
I'm not sure in Myers is the guy Leafs want. Maybe Borgman and the pick is better value. Wait to see if Leafs need a UFA dman in 2019 instead of saying Myers is a long term answer.

That's simply a risk I would be willing to take on Myers...giving up the pick and prospect knowing it might only be for one year....if the Leafs have the inside trade on one of the 19-20 RHD-men and need the cap space, they let Myers walk.

Myers (or any other top 4 RHD man) would have a major trickle down affect on this lineup. I thought Hainsey and Zaitsev were terrific at the start of the year....but they were on the ice too much. Zaitsev,, in particular, I think simply got burnt out. Hainsey was still good but started to struggle down the stretch. If you plop a legit top 4 d-man in there, you take the burden off those other two and the group as a whole plays much better.

But maybe, as TheCelt suggested...that 1st rounder is conditional on re-signing and turns into a 2nd if Myers walks...I dunno...none of these trades are intended to be 100% accurate but an idea of the general cost to bring in certain assets.
May 30, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
BC
Quoting: palhal

Interesting comment "take a step back". This may be the right move in the long run but absolutely think the Leafs have found their core group in Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Riley and will put many moving parts from year to year around them. Its very clear that if they give time to young wingers ie kappanen lievo brown, johnsson to develope they will turn themselves into 3 to 6 million dollar hockey players that will leave the leafs via trade or to the UFA market. This being the nature of the salary cap beast. The question is, is that the best way to win cups.

I really think we are going to see the leafs get older in the offseason adding a couple vets to the 3rd and 4th lines and maybe moving kappanen or Brown to imporove on defence. Is this the best thing maybe , maybe not.

We all got used to Lou as gm. With all the management changes this is shaping up to be the most interesting offseasons the Leafs have had in years
May 30, 2018 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: brendanchisholm98
Interesting comment "take a step back". This may be the right move in the long run but absolutely think the Leafs have found their core group in Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Riley and will put many moving parts from year to year around them. Its very clear that if they give time to young wingers ie kappanen lievo brown, johnsson to develope they will turn themselves into 3 to 6 million dollar hockey players that will leave the leafs via trade or to the UFA market. This being the nature of the salary cap beast. The question is, is that the best way to win cups.

I really think we are going to see the leafs get older in the offseason adding a couple vets to the 3rd and 4th lines and maybe moving kappanen or Brown to imporove on defence. Is this the best thing maybe , maybe not.

We all got used to Lou as gm. With all the management changes this is shaping up to be the most interesting offseasons the Leafs have had in years

I think we'll find out soon enough if Dubas is trigger-happy or trigger-shy.

By 'taking a step back'....I think that the leafs are still a playoff team..but maybe their point total goes down a bit or they're a wildcard team. Guess it depends on how the youngsters respond to more responsibility.

I agree with your prediction about the secondary players eventually getting to that $3-6m dollar range and there being a lot of moving parts year to year around their core. It's what we've seen out of Chicago. Hopefully we can pocket a Cup or three before that becomes a reality,
May 30, 2018 at 4:36 p.m.
That's simply a risk I would be willing to take on Myers...giving up the pick and prospect knowing it might only be for one year....if the Leafs have the inside trade on one of the 19-20 RHD-men and need the cap space, they let Myers walk.

Myers (or any other top 4 RHD man) would have a major trickle down affect on this lineup. I thought Hainsey and Zaitsev were terrific at the start of the year....but they were on the ice too much. Zaitsev,, in particular, I think simply got burnt out. Hainsey was still good but started to struggle down the stretch. If you plop a legit top 4 d-man in there, you take the burden off those other two and the group as a whole plays much better.

But maybe, as TheCelt suggested...that 1st rounder is conditional on re-signing and turns into a 2nd if Myers walks...I dunno...none of these trades are intended to be 100% accurate but an idea of the general cost to bring in certain assets.

I like this alot, Juice. And I think maybe you and Palhal have some middle ground here.. not sure about Spezza. I mean, sure we have the luxury of 1 yr of cap space, and it'd be nice to find martin a home, but who knows if Spezza rebounds?? Maybe he does, he had 30 goals two yeras ago, I think?? And I think there are takers out there for martin - he certainly had more than one suitor in his UFA year. But, I think Palhal is right, and I think Nylander will get a look at center this year as 3C, maybe he can't hack and the leafs look at the 19/20 UFA centers, or maybe he excels and turns into the next Backstrum.. that'd be a nice look. Maybe we should find out if that is just a pipe dream or not??

On the Myers trade - I think that is legit, and I think you're right, that in having an |RD that can eat minutes it would have a huge effect on the rest of the D core.. And if that package gets him, then we're not shippping Nylander out, or even Gards! and, if Myers doesn't have the desired effect, then he walks and the Leafs look at the 19/20 D class.. man, I know this is a pipe dream, but if the Leafs could somehow get Ellis I think that would be a coup.

Anyways, well done! I dig it
Juice liked this.
May 30, 2018 at 4:51 p.m.
Quoting: leafy_business
I like this alot, Juice. And I think maybe you and Palhal have some middle ground here.. not sure about Spezza. I mean, sure we have the luxury of 1 yr of cap space, and it'd be nice to find martin a home, but who knows if Spezza rebounds?? Maybe he does, he had 30 goals two yeras ago, I think?? And I think there are takers out there for martin - he certainly had more than one suitor in his UFA year. But, I think Palhal is right, and I think Nylander will get a look at center this year as 3C, maybe he can't hack and the leafs look at the 19/20 UFA centers, or maybe he excels and turns into the next Backstrum.. that'd be a nice look. Maybe we should find out if that is just a pipe dream or not??

On the Myers trade - I think that is legit, and I think you're right, that in having an |RD that can eat minutes it would have a huge effect on the rest of the D core.. And if that package gets him, then we're not shippping Nylander out, or even Gards! and, if Myers doesn't have the desired effect, then he walks and the Leafs look at the 19/20 D class.. man, I know this is a pipe dream, but if the Leafs could somehow get Ellis I think that would be a coup.

Anyways, well done! I dig it

Thanks! There’s a small contingent of leaf fans on here that have a reasonable outlook on our assets and acquiring costs for others.

I enjoy the healthy debate and have tons of respect for guys like you, @palhal, @brendanchisholm98, @SammyT_51, @Philvr and others on here that can communicate their opinions reasonably. Biggest pet peeve on here are those who try and pass off their subjective opinions as proven facts.

I like to publish a lot of my ACGM teams. So a lot of the time what you see with any one roster isn’t necessarily what I think will or what I’m even hoping will happen. Usually I just want to see different potential looks and invite fans of other teams to help comment on trades so I can get a feel for what might work. A lot of times I’ll look at a team I made a few months ago and question WTF I was thinking, haha.

Anyway, always have time for you guys and your comments/criticisms so keep the good times rolling.
BC98 , SammyT_51 and palhal liked this.
May 30, 2018 at 5:06 p.m.
Thanks! There’s a small contingent of leaf fans on here that have a reasonable outlook on our assets and acquiring costs for others.

I enjoy the healthy debate and have tons of respect for guys like you, @palhal, @brendanchisholm98, @SammyT_51, @Philvr and others on here that can communicate their opinions reasonably. Biggest pet peeve on here are those who try and pass off their subjective opinions as proven facts.

I like to publish a lot of my ACGM teams. So a lot of the time what you see with any one roster isn’t necessarily what I think will or what I’m even hoping will happen. Usually I just want to see different potential looks and invite fans of other teams to help comment on trades so I can get a feel for what might work. A lot of times I’ll look at a team I made a few months ago and question WTF I was thinking, haha.

Anyway, always have time for you guys and your comments/criticisms so keep the good times rolling.

Hey, cheers! This is all for good fun, and playing around with lineups and hopes and all that jazz, so right, it should be kept as a respectful debate. I've made all sorts of line ups over the last month or so (many of which are contradictory) because I find I have a lot of time on my hands all of a sudden. And given my current residence I also frequently engage in debate with informed people on what it would take to fix the candian health care system... most days that would seem to be an easier task to build consensus on a solution than attemtping to fix the leafs... wink
Juice, BC98 and SammyT_51 liked this.
May 30, 2018 at 5:58 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: leafy_business
Hey, cheers! This is all for good fun, and playing around with lineups and hopes and all that jazz, so right, it should be kept as a respectful debate. I've made all sorts of line ups over the last month or so (many of which are contradictory) because I find I have a lot of time on my hands all of a sudden. And given my current residence I also frequently engage in debate with informed people on what it would take to fix the candian health care system... most days that would seem to be an easier task to build consensus on a solution than attemtping to fix the leafs... wink

Hey there, I like the Winnipeg trade idea. It is simple and well-thought through. If this deal happens it does not end up destroying our future, which I'm happy for.

I have ton of respect for guys that I have reasonable debate with. You may not see it but with getting each other ideas we are getting better and better, not just for stars ratings here, but if any of us (I'm young (19 at the moment), don't know about you guys) wants to work in hockey industry which is hard to achieve but when you achieve it, I would be happy for you. If I someday would hear that one of you guys are working for Leafs or any other organization I would be proud. And these discussions we are having here, which some think are worthless but really aren't, because even if you have not the same ideas as me which I may disagree with and otherwise, it shapes you as a person. You are showing respect here? Well, you would in real life too. You can take someones opinion and use it in the best way possible, because even if I post something that is not remotely close to truth or it is a bad trade. If someone criticize me, well, I take it as a lesson and learn from it. That is why on hockey blog I have with friend of mine we like people who criticize our articles, say that something is a bit wrong and so on. Because that is what you should take to your heart to get better. I will do the best example.. Kyle Dubas.. he was around Lou Lamoriello for 3 years and learned a lot from him. He may had some ideas that werent remotely good, because no GM is perfect, but Lou told him what is good or wrong, he learned from it and still is really polite, humble gentleman. I have no concerns Dubas would make right decisions. His moral values are set exactly where they need to be for him to succeed really and with people of same attitude this franchise could be force not just for Matthews's/Marner's and so on careers but further than that and I seriously believe Duby could be GM for another 40 years. Keep posting guys! Cheers!
Juice liked this.
May 30, 2018 at 6:10 p.m.
Math and Sports
I don't have a problem with the asking price....not sure, simply from a perception base...if management would want to sign a KHL guy and then trade him before he gets on the ice...kind of a bad look.

Did not know that. Not even gonna bother asking for the price of a Liljegren. Either way, I'm just splitting hairs over the value of Myers. If you traded a 25th, and any minuscule piece or prospect, you wouldn't find anyone in Jetsland with a problem.
May 30, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: SammyT_51
Hey there, I like the Winnipeg trade idea. It is simple and well-thought through. If this deal happens it does not end up destroying our future, which I'm happy for.

I have ton of respect for guys that I have reasonable debate with. You may not see it but with getting each other ideas we are getting better and better, not just for stars ratings here, but if any of us (I'm young (19 at the moment), don't know about you guys) wants to work in hockey industry which is hard to achieve but when you achieve it, I would be happy for you. If I someday would hear that one of you guys are working for Leafs or any other organization I would be proud. And these discussions we are having here, which some think are worthless but really aren't, because even if you have not the same ideas as me which I may disagree with and otherwise, it shapes you as a person. You are showing respect here? Well, you would in real life too. You can take someones opinion and use it in the best way possible, because even if I post something that is not remotely close to truth or it is a bad trade. If someone criticize me, well, I take it as a lesson and learn from it. That is why on hockey blog I have with friend of mine we like people who criticize our articles, say that something is a bit wrong and so on. Because that is what you should take to your heart to get better. I will do the best example.. Kyle Dubas.. he was around Lou Lamoriello for 3 years and learned a lot from him. He may had some ideas that werent remotely good, because no GM is perfect, but Lou told him what is good or wrong, he learned from it and still is really polite, humble gentleman. I have no concerns Dubas would make right decisions. His moral values are set exactly where they need to be for him to succeed really and with people of same attitude this franchise could be force not just for Matthews's/Marner's and so on careers but further than that and I seriously believe Duby could be GM for another 40 years. Keep posting guys! Cheers!

Sammy, you're like my grandson since I am 45 years older than you. Forty, fifty years from now your can tell you grand kids and their friends the folks you met on CapFriendly. And I'm still pulling for you to get that executive job in hockey. Continue to let you know what's going on in you life. And old guy like me has kinda had his path made and unfortunately I see some of the future (not that long). Glad to hear from a young, enthusiastic guy from another country.
Juice and SammyT_51 liked this.
May 31, 2018 at 9:24 a.m.
whos your inside source saying marners agent is negotiating for 10 mill lol and on what grounds how would he make 10 mill but you have willy making 6.2? and why do the leafs need spezza hes not good anymore theyre better off re signing bozak or playing willy down the middle.
May 31, 2018 at 10:22 a.m.
Quoting: swesont
whos your inside source saying marners agent is negotiating for 10 mill lol and on what grounds how would he make 10 mill but you have willy making 6.2? and why do the leafs need spezza hes not good anymore theyre better off re signing bozak or playing willy down the middle.

I will answer each question individually.
1. I am close with the gentleman who used to be Marner's agent (before his stock began to rise and he changed to a bigger firm). He is still in contact regularly with his father. I think it was February when he told me about tensions between Matthews-Babcock...I kind of brushed it off at the time but looks like there was something to it. Matthews and Marner want to play together on the same line.

2. I think $6.2 is a reasonable number for Nylander...just my opinion. Maybe a bit higher if he goes max term. Maybe he wants to go bridge and try and build himself into #2C status before inking his 3rd contract. I don't know but I kind of went with the middle ground. Marner was on pace for a 100pt season after getting moved to the 2nd line. He was the Leafs' best performer in the playoffs. If he holds out re-signing until after the 18-19 season and he puts up 80-100pts...how much do you think his agent will be asking for? I'm not saying that's what for sure is going to happen...but that I've planned for it's potential

3. The leafs don't need Spezza, in particular. But they do need a 3C. Bozak could be a very good option if he's willing to take a home town discount in exchange for a few years of term. No one is arguing that Spezza is a top player anymore. The idea with trading for him was to fill one of the bottom 6 centre positions with a veteran player...move Martin's contract out in the process...and utilize some of the cap space we will have for the 18-19 season. He only has 1 year left on the deal so it's not a big risk and, with Martin going the other way...it's really only $5m for him for one year...while saving $2.5 for 2019-20.

4. Nylander might very well be Plan A right now for the 3C role. Again, I'm just trying our a variety of different looks for this roster. If you read some of my comments above, you'll see that, in any given ACGM roster I publish...it's not necessarily me saying this is what I think will or should happen...just playing around with different scenarios.
May 31, 2018 at 11:04 a.m.
I will answer each question individually.
1. I am close with the gentleman who used to be Marner's agent (before his stock began to rise and he changed to a bigger firm). He is still in contact regularly with his father. I think it was February when he told me about tensions between Matthews-Babcock...I kind of brushed it off at the time but looks like there was something to it. Matthews and Marner want to play together on the same line.

2. I think $6.2 is a reasonable number for Nylander...just my opinion. Maybe a bit higher if he goes max term. Maybe he wants to go bridge and try and build himself into #2C status before inking his 3rd contract. I don't know but I kind of went with the middle ground. Marner was on pace for a 100pt season after getting moved to the 2nd line. He was the Leafs' best performer in the playoffs. If he holds out re-signing until after the 18-19 season and he puts up 80-100pts...how much do you think his agent will be asking for? I'm not saying that's what for sure is going to happen...but that I've planned for it's potential

3. The leafs don't need Spezza, in particular. But they do need a 3C. Bozak could be a very good option if he's willing to take a home town discount in exchange for a few years of term. No one is arguing that Spezza is a top player anymore. The idea with trading for him was to fill one of the bottom 6 centre positions with a veteran player...move Martin's contract out in the process...and utilize some of the cap space we will have for the 18-19 season. He only has 1 year left on the deal so it's not a big risk and, with Martin going the other way...it's really only $5m for him for one year...while saving $2.5 for 2019-20.

4. Nylander might very well be Plan A right now for the 3C role. Again, I'm just trying our a variety of different looks for this roster. If you read some of my comments above, you'll see that, in any given ACGM roster I publish...it's not necessarily me saying this is what I think will or should happen...just playing around with different scenarios.

if marner does have a monster season next year and get 80-100 points i still dont see him making 10mill. but it seems like you forgot about marners first half of the season because he was not good at all take that in to account and if marner doesnt have a monster back half youre looking at a pretty big step back compared to his rookie season, and as for the matthews rumour .. its a rumour first of all and you're saying its coming from marners dad and his old agent ? i dont believe you there sorry. And cool marner and matthews wanna play together im sure a lot of guys wanna play together , babcock is coach the lineup he puts out is his choice and i personally think matthews and nylander are better together so why change that ?
May 31, 2018 at 11:34 a.m.
Quoting: swesont
if marner does have a monster season next year and get 80-100 points i still dont see him making 10mill. but it seems like you forgot about marners first half of the season because he was not good at all take that in to account and if marner doesnt have a monster back half youre looking at a pretty big step back compared to his rookie season, and as for the matthews rumour .. its a rumour first of all and you're saying its coming from marners dad and his old agent ? i dont believe you there sorry. And cool marner and matthews wanna play together im sure a lot of guys wanna play together , babcock is coach the lineup he puts out is his choice and i personally think matthews and nylander are better together so why change that ?

Honestly, dude...I could care less whether you believe me. Makes absolutely zero difference to me.

Apparently you're looking to argue with me. Why? I don't know. I've never stated any proposed scenario as a set in stone fact. Also..just because someone's agent starts negotiations somewhere...doesn't mean that's where they end up....that's the whole point of a negotiation. The whole point of the roster built above was to make sure the financial flexibility is there.

I'm on record on various threads stating I have no idea what Marner's cap number is going to be.

Not sure what's warranted your antagonistic tone...but no, I didn't forget the first half of the season. I was actually a little bit happy at the start of last season when him and Nylander were playing piss poor because I thought the Leafs could get the re-signed to lower contracts. You're ignoring both facts and my comments, though. Marner gets moved up to the 2nd line. He immediately catches fire and both him and Kadri break out of their slumps. All of the sudden, when he's on the ice, he completely runs the offence. If it's you and your agent...and you sit down with Leaf brass...and they bring up the 1st half of the season and use that to argue why they think $6.5m is a fair number...maybe you decide to bet on yourself...hold off signing until July 2019 when your entry contract is actually up...and hope you put up big numbers.

Could he put up a stinker of a year in 18-19 and see his next contract in the $6m range? Sure...entirely possible. Could he play beside Matthews all year and both put up 100pts? Sure..entirely possible. And if that happens...and Kane/Toews signed matching $10.5m deals back in 2014 when the salary cap was $69m...what do you think is possible for Matthews-Marner if the 19-20 cap is $82m?

Again...I'm not claiming to state what WILL happen...just what COULD. Big difference.

I love Babcock as a coach and hockey stategist...and don't like to stereotype...but I'm sure there's a learning curve for him in dealing with the personalities of superstar millennials. Does he have to change the lineup to appease their complaints? No, of course not. But does that mean the players don't b*tch about him behind his back? No.
May 31, 2018 at 11:42 a.m.
Honestly, dude...I could care less whether you believe me. Makes absolutely zero difference to me.

Apparently you're looking to argue with me. Why? I don't know. I've never stated any proposed scenario as a set in stone fact. Also..just because someone's agent starts negotiations somewhere...doesn't mean that's where they end up....that's the whole point of a negotiation. The whole point of the roster built above was to make sure the financial flexibility is there.

I'm on record on various threads stating I have no idea what Marner's cap number is going to be.

Not sure what's warranted your antagonistic tone...but no, I didn't forget the first half of the season. I was actually a little bit happy at the start of last season when him and Nylander were playing piss poor because I thought the Leafs could get the re-signed to lower contracts. You're ignoring both facts and my comments, though. Marner gets moved up to the 2nd line. He immediately catches fire and both him and Kadri break out of their slumps. All of the sudden, when he's on the ice, he completely runs the offence. If it's you and your agent...and you sit down with Leaf brass...and they bring up the 1st half of the season and use that to argue why they think $6.5m is a fair number...maybe you decide to bet on yourself...hold off signing until July 2019 when your entry contract is actually up...and hope you put up big numbers.

Could he put up a stinker of a year in 18-19 and see his next contract in the $6m range? Sure...entirely possible. Could he play beside Matthews all year and both put up 100pts? Sure..entirely possible. And if that happens...and Kane/Toews signed matching $10.5m deals back in 2014 when the salary cap was $69m...what do you think is possible for Matthews-Marner if the 19-20 cap is $82m?

Again...I'm not claiming to state what WILL happen...just what COULD. Big difference.

I love Babcock as a coach and hockey stategist...and don't like to stereotype...but I'm sure there's a learning curve for him in dealing with the personalities of superstar millennials. Does he have to change the lineup to appease their complaints? No, of course not. But does that mean the players don't b*tch about him behind his back? No.

Im not looking to argue looking to debate, babcock is hard on his players of course theyre gonna b*itch about him im sure every coach gets bitched about cuz i know i bitched about my coaches even the ones i liked the most. and as for marner taking a bridge deal I dont see that happening just based on the fact the Marner clearly loves toronto and wants to be here i could see him talking a team friendly deal but either way even if he doesnt he isnt going to get much more if he does get more then nylander I think the world of both of them and they both deserve 7 mill plus in my opinion but i dont think either deserves 8 or more but who knows maybe marner has an 100 point season next year hope he does still dont think he gets anything near matthews. Matthews is a far better player and more value as a centre. and as far as i know Marner has the same agent as josh anderson .. different players marner is way better but anderson waiting and ending up taking less and i dont think thats the only client he has thats done that

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll