Forums/Armchair-GM

CAR/EDM/NYI trades

Created by: TanSor
Team: 2018-19 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 8, 2018
Published: Jun. 8, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Descriptions of each trade below, just wanted to comment on the draft picks. With the 10OA and 24OA the Wild could either draft 2 good prospects, or try to trade up for a player like Oliver Wahlstrom this year. The Wild (yet again) would be without a first round pick next year, but the plan is that (given they both develop the way they should) Eriksson Ek steps up to play 2C and Kunin fills in at 3C. Coyle also leaves us options, as he could play 2C/3C. This would allow the Wild to flip Eric Staal at the deadline to a hot team (such as the Kings) to acquire a grade A prospect (such as Gabriel Vilardi) and an early 2019 pick (hopefully a 1st, but that might be a stretch).
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$5,000,000
4$5,800,000
3$1,250,000
4$4,400,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,550,000
2$2,250,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Faulk, Justin
Additional Details:
Wild get a top 4 blue liner that struggled last year, but will look to bounce back in his home state. Fills in for losing Spurgeon.
CAR
  1. Niederreiter, Nino
Additional Details:
Carolina gets a big possessional forward that had a down year due to bruising a bone in his leg. Has shown he can consistently score at least 20 goals and I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 30 next year.
MIN
  1. Kassian, Zack
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  3. 2018 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Rights to Darnell Nurse

Wild acquire a great right shot prospect in Poolparty that is ready to make the jump to play full-time in the NHL. They pick up a poor contract with Kassian that EDM is looking to dump, but he brings a gritty physical game to MIN. Darnell Nurse also brings a gritty physical game while being defensively responsible, he also replaces Brodin. Wild also acquire the 10OA pick in an attempt to get Oliver Wahlstrom.
EDM
  1. Soucy, Carson
  2. Spurgeon, Jared
  3. Zucker, Jason
  4. 2018 3rd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
Rights to Ryan Murphy

Oilers get Edmonton native Jared Spurgeon who solidifies their D. Spurgeon brings a fantastic two-way game that Oilers fans will love. They also get speedy hard-working winger Jason Zucker who can play with McDavid and score goals. Soucy brings a big physical game much like Darnell Nurse, but Soucy is younger. Soucy probably needs some time in the AHL before he can play on the 3rd pairing but so far he has shown some brilliant flashes. Murphy is a heavy shot right hand D that is a serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman, he has room to grow yet but it's possible he never becomes more than a 2nd/3rd pairing player (he still has some potential, though). They obtain 63OA pick as a deal sweetener.
MIN
  1. Lee, Anders
Additional Details:
Wild acquire Minnesota native Anders Lee who is a big power forward with a knack for finding the back of the net. Granlund finally has a player he can show off his elite passing skills to and be confident his efforts won't be wasted. The Wild give up a lot for Lee, but he is young and brings a game we have been lacking.
NYI
  1. Brodin, Jonas
  2. Greenway, Jordan
  3. 2019 1st round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
Islanders make a big haul with a top pairing defenseman in Brodin. Huge forward prospect Jordan Greenway also goes to the Islanders, he needs some developmental time but he has a lot of potential to be a fantastic power forward. Islanders also get Minnesota's 1st round pick next year as they are thin on draft picks after the 2nd round next year.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$80,000,000$71,824,425$25,000$3,425,000$8,175,575

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW
UFA - 1
$1,550,000$1,550,000
C
UFA
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
$770,000$770,000
RW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RD
UFA - 5
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,400,000$4,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 8, 2018 at 10:43 a.m.
Isles probably say yes I’d imagine, especially if Tavares walks
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 8, 2018 at 10:45 a.m.
Dejected Isles fan
I would think the Isles say yes regardless if Tavares walks.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 8, 2018 at 10:49 a.m.
Quoting: linehan10
Isles probably say yes I’d imagine, especially if Tavares walks

Quoting: cbach_4141
I would think the Isles say yes regardless if Tavares walks.

Oops, I forgot to include that in my description. I think if Tavares stays the Islanders would be hesitant to move Lee. They might as well get some value out of him though such as in this trade (he is 27, still young but not a player you need especially if you're rebuilding).
Jun. 8, 2018 at 10:53 a.m.
i respect the thought you put into this!

The Carolina trade is pretty fair, i think Nino has more upside in present and future but i guess the value of top 4D makes it equal if personalities fit.

The Edmonton trade is tough im sure Oilers would love Spurgy and i like the concept of Zucker as Mcd's wing but Nurse,10th overall and PoolParty is too much even with Kassian going out.

The isalnders trade is an over-payment but if Wild want Lee it will get the job done and hed be awesome there so if you can afford to gamble on Greenway then go for it!

overall i think the wild look worse after your trades but definitely some nice names added to the roster
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:06 a.m.
MNBassman
(small corrections) Soucy and Nurse are the same age and Lee isn't exactly young - he will turn 28 this summer. BTW, Soucy is an Edmonton kid too. He's from a small town (Viking, Alberta) not far from Edmonton.

IMO - that is WAY, WAY too much to trade for Lee. If you want Lee's instant impact, Greenway alone will probably get him. If I were offering that haul to the Islanders, I would also want both of their 2018 1st rounders in return. Also, acquiring Lee would put the Wild in a position where they have to decide whether or not to invest big money and lots of term for a player approaching 30... They have done this too much recently, and that is a big part of how they got to where they currently are.

I think you would have to sweeten the deal with the Oilers to get that much in return. Murphy has no trade value whatsoever, he is a fringe NHLer on his best day.

The more I read on Faulk, the less I want him. His offensive production has declined every year for 4 years now. Maybe with a change of scenery and on a better team his production will return to form, but I'm not willing to gamble Neiderrieter (or Zucker) away for a player who appears to be declining at a fairly young age. IF the Wild are confident all his abilities are still intact, I would reconsider this for sure.

Bottom line, I like everything you've done here in principle, just don't always agree with the price you are paying for the players you are acquiring...but that's just one guys opinion.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:07 a.m.
Quoting: VoynovsParoleOfficerGuy
i respect the thought you put into this!

The Carolina trade is pretty fair, i think Nino has more upside in present and future but i guess the value of top 4D makes it equal if personalities fit.

The Edmonton trade is tough im sure Oilers would love Spurgy and i like the concept of Zucker as Mcd's wing but Nurse,10th overall and PoolParty is too much even with Kassian going out.

The isalnders trade is an over-payment but if Wild want Lee it will get the job done and hed be awesome there so if you can afford to gamble on Greenway then go for it!

overall i think the wild look worse after your trades but definitely some nice names added to the roster

Thanks for the feedback! EDM is giving up a lot for Spurge and Zucker but both would make a huge impact on that team. I think Zucker is the exact type of player that could keep up with McDavid's play. Spurgeon is a top pairing RHD which is a huge asset in this league. The way I valued it was Spurge + Soucy + 63OA for 10OA + Poolparty and then Zucker + Murphy for Nurse + Kassian. I think at the very least they think long and hard about this trade. On the Islanders trade I debated long and hard about whether the 2019 pick would be a 1st or a 2nd but I figured I'd put a 1st in case Tavares left. If the Wild are seriously considering Lee (which probably isn't likely) they would be smart to wait until Tavares makes his decision about his future. In the end, they might look a little worse now but if they draft a Wahlstrom or two great prospects and traded Staal at the deadline for a huge return, the future looks very bright for this team (especially with Kaprizov potentially in the future).
Jun. 8, 2018 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
(small corrections) Soucy and Nurse are the same age and Lee isn't exactly young - he will turn 28 this summer. BTW, Soucy is an Edmonton kid too. He's from a small town (Viking, Alberta) not far from Edmonton.

IMO - that is WAY, WAY too much to trade for Lee. If you want Lee's instant impact, Greenway alone will probably get him. If I were offering that haul to the Islanders, I would also want both of their 2018 1st rounders in return. Also, acquiring Lee would put the Wild in a position where they have to decide whether or not to invest big money and lots of term for a player approaching 30... They have done this too much recently, and that is a big part of how they got to where they currently are.

I think you would have to sweeten the deal with the Oilers to get that much in return. Murphy has no trade value whatsoever, he is a fringe NHLer on his best day.

The more I read on Faulk, the less I want him. His offensive production has declined every year for 4 years now. Maybe with a change of scenery and on a better team his production will return to form, but I'm not willing to gamble Neiderrieter (or Zucker) away for a player who appears to be declining at a fairly young age. IF the Wild are confident all his abilities are still intact, I would reconsider this for sure.

Bottom line, I like everything you've done here in principle, just don't always agree with the price you are paying for the players you are acquiring...but that's just one guys opinion.

Thanks again for the feedback! I tried to make some different moves here since I've been trying to trade for Nylander and Rakell a lot lately. In hindsight, we give up a lot for Lee in the Islanders trade. I think a player like Barzal would be a better target for this many assets. I should have done my research on Soucy's age and birthplace (whoops). Faulk still intrigues me, but the more I think about it the more I'd rather have a younger player like a Ristolainen.
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 8, 2018 at 2:41 p.m.
Drop Murphy and 3rd add the 24th then it’s closer, Oilers likely don’t want to give up 3 young pieces of the future anyways though
Jun. 8, 2018 at 2:46 p.m.
I agree with everyone else here, the Edmonton trade isn't fair.

BTW, the Oilers aren't looking for a winger for McDavid - they found that guy already. If anything, they're looking for a winger for Draisaitl.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll