Forums/Armchair-GM

Hardly cap hell as so many assume

Created by: palhal
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 2, 2018
Published: Jul. 2, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Yep still a bit over the cap. But if needed a good player can be traded for good value in return. I'm of the belief that Nylander might be traded for cap relief or for help elsewhere. Also Nylander just might be a cheaper bridge contract hoping for bigger returns in the future. But hardly as bad situation as so many fans assume or want
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,200,000
2$1,000,000
1$1,200,000
2$1,800,000
8$7,500,000
8$11,000,000
8$7,000,000
2$1,200,000
3$2,700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,400,000
Trades
TOR
DET
  1. Martin, Matt
Additional Details:
2nd round pick
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,000,000$77,218,610$0$652,500$4,781,390
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,700,000$2,700,000
RD
UFA
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
G
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 2, 2018 at 8:39 a.m.
Haha...I just did a very similar ACGM team with almost identical explanation. Does the defence need an upgrade...absolutely...does it need to happen now? No. Are we going to be in cap hell? Not even close. Leafs have desirable assets that will be easy to move if needed
Jul. 2, 2018 at 8:47 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Juice
Haha...I just did a very similar ACGM team with almost identical explanation. Does the defence need an upgrade...absolutely...does it need to happen now? No. Are we going to be in cap hell? Not even close. Leafs have desirable assets that will be easy to move if needed

Thanks Juice. I know I'm assuming something about the defence. But if Liljegren, Ozzie and Borgman can be NHL solid NHLers, and certainly Borgman and Liljegren looks like NHLers, that's a very cost effective improvement to the current roster. For all the angst about the Leafs defencemen last year, Leafs did finish 13th GAA. Notice how the much maligned Roman Polak was signed by Minni yesterday.
I wonder if the Leafs are going to name a captain this year and who would that be? Another unnecessary angst by some Leaf fans.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 8:51 a.m.
arky
If you think you can get a 2nd for Martin you are very much mistaken. Holland made two bad signings this weekend but if he made that deal he will be fired. Martins's contract is not good for a player riding the press box. And no the Wings do not want him even for 7th round pick, we have enough overpriced slow forwards.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 8:54 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Thanks Juice. I know I'm assuming something about the defence. But if Liljegren, Ozzie and Borgman can be NHL solid NHLers, and certainly Borgman and Liljegren looks like NHLers, that's a very cost effective improvement to the current roster. For all the angst about the Leafs defencemen last year, Leafs did finish 13th GAA. Notice how the much maligned Roman Polak was signed by Minni yesterday.
I wonder if the Leafs are going to name a captain this year and who would that be? Another unnecessary angst by some Leaf fans.

yes, yes and yes.

1. Let's see what the defence looks like playing behind that potent offence and (hopefully) in front of a solid, Freddy.

2. If playoff success still suffers due to poor D....then we can look at moving forward assets to improve the D. I don't think that's an unreasonable outlook.

3. Fans/media care way more about who wears the 'C' then the guys in the dressing room. I think at some point you'll see a combination of Matthews, Reilly and Tavares wear the leadership badges but I'm not sure how much any of them will care when the team is winning
Jul. 2, 2018 at 8:56 a.m.
Quoting: mikearky
If you think you can get a 2nd for Martin you are very much mistaken. Holland made two bad signings this weekend but if he made that deal he will be fired. Martins's contract is not good for a player riding the press box. And no the Wings do not want him even for 7th round pick, we have enough overpriced slow forwards.

Might want to have another look at that trade. Author is sending you Martin + a 2nd for nothing. In my opinion it's an overkill of a sweetener...and no, it wouldn't have to be Detroit...but the trade is not Martin for a 2nd
Jul. 2, 2018 at 8:58 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: mikearky

You are very mistaken. I gave Detroit (could be another team) the second rounder, with nothing in return for the Leafs. It would cost the team just 500,000 to carry Martin for a year, a gift on a second rounder is worth it.

Juice you're right it might be overkill. But I didn't want to be accused being a homer.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:11 a.m.
exo2769
The Leafs are fine. They have more than enough valuable prospects/picks to shed a bad contract or two while also developing their young Dcore. TOR has a bright future.
palhal liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:14 a.m.
chadb
You are very mistaken. I gave Detroit (could be another team) the second rounder, with nothing in return for the Leafs. It would cost the team just 500,000 to carry Martin for a year, a gift on a second rounder is worth it.

Juice you're right it might be overkill. But I didn't want to be accused being a homer.

People need to actually read what is displayed before they comment lol
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:26 a.m.
Palhal, you cannot spin the facts to make it look good. In this scenario, you are already still over the cap. Yeah you could make some cost saving moves to get under the cap, sure. However, you don’t seem to be accounting for the loss of Gardiner. The guy had 52 point last season most of those were assist. Which means he generated a lot of offense. You are assuming a lot to think those d-men can just step right in and play. Defense is the hardest position to break in the NHL. Another fact is that division was lousy last year. However, a lot of those teams are getting better. Which means they will need to have solid defense to help keep the pressure off Andersen. Toronto is going to be in cap hell. Unless they make some proactive moves now, Tavares will cost them. Toronto better win the cup next season or things will get interesting.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:39 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Jacketsman61
Palhal, you cannot spin the facts to make it look good. In this scenario, you are already still over the cap. Yeah you could make some cost saving moves to get under the cap, sure. However, you don’t seem to be accounting for the loss of Gardiner. The guy had 52 point last season most of those were assist. Which means he generated a lot of offense. You are assuming a lot to think those d-men can just step right in and play. Defense is the hardest position to break in the NHL. Another fact is that division was lousy last year. However, a lot of those teams are getting better. Which means they will need to have solid defense to help keep the pressure off Andersen. Toronto is going to be in cap hell. Unless they make some proactive moves now, Tavares will cost them. Toronto better win the cup next season or things will get interesting.

Yes, Gardiner is gone. That's an easy decision already made be me....and I'm sure by the Leafs. Gardiner is 28 years old and at his bonehead peak. If he a great year he certainly prices himself out of the Leaf cap. If he plays like himself, the Leafs have to move away from and go for other players with potential. I don't know why folks discount the excellent play of Dermot and I think. Borgman is NHL ready too.
It's similar to the Columbus and there Bob situation. Even if he is worth of 8m next season, and might be offered it by another club. maybe CBJ declines and goes with a younger cheaper tandem.
Sorry I disagree with your definition of cap hell. Having too many good players that deserve bigger contracts.....is not cap hell. Then someone has to be traded for fair value to get cap compliant. The Wings is the best example of cap hell, too many non performers who are not tradable.
Yes other teams might be better, but why can't the Leafs too. Going into this year, have loss JVR, Komarov, Polak and Bozak. Replaced with Tavares, Johnson, Kapanen, Borgman/Ozhikvov and still young guys that can be better. Hardly a bad situation at all.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:41 a.m.
Plus, you are really underselling Marner. Why would he sign for 7.5 mil for 8 years? Matthews is getting 11.5 and Marner to most people is conformance. If he signed for that amount, it would most definitely be a one or two year deal. Then there is the offer sheet factor. Judging by the figures this year, a lot of teams may find it cheaper to offer sheet Marner when they know Toronto can’t match.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:48 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Plus, you are really underselling Marner. Why would he sign for 7.5 mil for 8 years? Matthews is getting 11.5 and Marner to most people is conformance. If he signed for that amount, it would most definitely be a one or two year deal. Then there is the offer sheet factor. Judging by the figures this year, a lot of teams may find it cheaper to offer sheet Marner when they know Toronto can’t match.

We'll see what Marner brings. Is it a concern? Not really.If he that good, good for the Leafs, maybe another good player such a Nylander or Kadri has to be traded for good young cheap value to. get cap compliant. But having too many fairly valued players is hardly a problem. Gee, Kucherov signed a bridge for 4.75m bridge with Tampa and is still a RFA when his contract expires. This signing of players coming off their ELC to massive eight year deals is become more regular but still it isn't really the norm.
But let's say Marner is offered sheeted and the Leafs can't match. Well the Leafs still have the 7.5m they have earmarked for Marner and they could spend that on good UFA and would have four first rounders. And not many teams have 8m plus to add, it could very well be a lottery team that has the cap space. So losing a guy via offer sheet isn't as devastating as many think.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:50 a.m.
Yes, Gardiner is gone. That's an easy decision already made be me....and I'm sure by the Leafs. Gardiner is 28 years old and at his bonehead peak. If he a great year he certainly prices himself out of the Leaf cap. If he plays like himself, the Leafs have to move away from and go for other players with potential. I don't know why folks discount the excellent play of Dermot and I think. Borgman is NHL ready too.
It's similar to the Columbus and there Bob situation. Even if he is worth of 8m next season, and might be offered it by another club. maybe CBJ declines and goes with a younger cheaper tandem.
Sorry I disagree with your definition of cap hell. Having too many good players that deserve bigger contracts.....is not cap hell. Then someone has to be traded for fair value to get cap compliant. The Wings is the best example of cap hell, too many non performers who are not tradable.
Yes other teams might be better, but why can't the Leafs too. Going into this year, have loss JVR, Komarov, Polak and Bozak. Replaced with Tavares, Johnson, Kapanen, Borgman/Ozhikvov and still young guys that can be better. Hardly a bad situation at all.

Bob is a different situation. The Jackets already have Joonas Korpisalo. He is not Bob but he is adequate and has NHL experience. Not the same with Borgman and TL. Like I said defenseman take longer to adjust and develop. To assume that they will is foolish.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:53 a.m.
We'll see what Marner brings. Is it a concern? Not really.If he that good, good for the Leafs, maybe another good player such a Nylander or Kadri has to be traded for good young cheap value to. get cap compliant. But having too many fairly valued players is hardly a problem. Gee, Kucherov signed a bridge for 4.75m bridge with Tampa and is still a RFA when his contract expires. This signing of players coming off their ELC to massive eight year deals is become more regular but still it isn't really the norm.

Yeah, but Kucherov is gonna get paid. And it won’t be cheap. Tampa is in an even worse situation. But remember they are in the Leafs division.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:56 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yeah, but Kucherov is gonna get paid. And it won’t be cheap. Tampa is in an even worse situation. But remember they are in the Leafs division.

Yes he will but he didn't get big. money coming off ELC. Gee neither did Stamkos, he signed a bridge before his last contract. So this illusion that all good players get massive UFA money coming off their ELCs is just not factual.
Sure it might happen to Marner and others, but maybe not.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll