Forums/Armchair-GM

According to Trade Rumors...

Created by: Hawkisles
Team: 2016-17 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 15, 2016
Published: Apr. 18, 2016
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
First of all, we're not going to get Stamkos. We don't have the cap space for him and we are overloaded down the center anyways. Stamkos doesn't want to go to Brooklyn and Brooklyn, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't expressed interest. Deal with it.

Halak is likely on the way out, due to differences with him and management. He hasn't really been earning his contract and he's been far too injury prone (1). He will likely be moving on, and the Isles will need a new proven starter. I like Greiss and Berube as backups, but we don't have time to let them mature into full NHL starters. Frederik Andersen is a UFA this year, and there's no way he'll be able to compete with Gibson for the starter job. He'll want to move on (2). While the Leafs have expressed interest in Andersen, if the Isles fielded an offer, I believe Andersen would rather go to a playoff team with a lot of upside over a team that just began what looks like a long rebuild with no playoffs in the forseeable future.

Okposo is likely on the way out as well (3). Okposo is allegedly looking for contract duration over contract value, with "7 years" being thrown around as a desired contract duration. I can't understand why management doesn't want to re-sign a proven high-scoring power forward with line chemistry with Tavares, but if that's the writing on the wall, then so be it. The Oilers and Islanders have already been talking about trading Hamonic for one of Edmonton's better forwards (4). Incidentally, Yakupov has also been looking to leave Edmonton (5). Oil on Whyte suggest trading Hamonic and Okposo's Trading Rights for Yakupov and a 1st/2nd overall pick. While that strikes me as a fair deal, I can't see why Garth Snow would the pick for any other reason than using it as a bargaining chip. So who would want that 1st/2nd overall pick?

Well we'd have to look at teams in need of a longer term help. While I wouldn't call Colorado a "bottom dweller", I don't think they can seriously contend for the playoffs in the same division as Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis and Minnesota. Furthermore, Gabriel Landeskog is on the Av's trading block (6). Being only 23, a Power Forward Left Winger and a capable scorer, I think he'd replace Okposo's loss fairly well. It'll cost more than just Edmonton's pick, so throwing in another elite LW prospect is a must. Beauvillier, despite being drafted late in the 1st round, has outperformed many of the prospects above him. He certainly has a bright future, and giving Colorado what is effectively two elite 1st round picks, that should be more than enough for Landeskog.

Finally, we need someone to replace Hamonic. Luckily, there are plenty of good defensemen on the FA market. Goligoski and Russel are looking to move to greener (in terms of cash) pastures, and the Isles can definitely provide. I wouldn't mind having Russel on the team, but I would imagine Goligoski's salary expectations are too high for Dallas to meet. So I'll assume that we're going to take Goligoski, but I wouldn't rule out a different Defenseman FA.

I definitely don't expect ALL of these trades to happen, but I do think that this proves there is hope for plenty of big trades this offseason.

Take a look at the websites below if you'd like to read the trade rumors I followed for this article:

(1) http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/4/9/11397502/staple-twitter-q-and-a-black-aces-barzal-dal-colle-ho-sang-beauvillier-jaroslav-halak
(2) http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-status-of-top-rfas-tyson-barrie-andrew-shaw/2016/04/16/
(3) http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/3/25/11302384/staple-twitter-q-a-jaroslav-halak-kyle-okposo-ryan-strome
(4) https://oilonwhyte.com/2016/04/16/edmonton-oilers-reportedly-dont-want-to-trade-darnell-nurse/
(5) http://oilonwhyte.com/2016/03/31/edmonton-oilers-looking-at-travis-hamonic-sami-vatanen/
(6) http://milehighsticking.com/2016/04/08/colorado-avalanche-gabriel-landeskogs-fallen-stock-as-captain/
(7) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2632899-free-agents-who-will-benefit-most-from-a-strong-2016-nhl-playoffs-performance/page/11
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,250,000
1$800,000
1$1,500,000
2$1,000,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
3$5,500,000
Trades
NYI
    Rights to Frederik Andersen
    ANA
      2016 4th round pick
      NYI
        2016 4th round pick
        2017 3rd round pick
        NYI
        1. Yakupov, Nail
        Additional Details:
        2016 1st round pick (either 1st or 2nd overall pick)
        EDM
        1. Hamonic, Travis
        Additional Details:
        Negotiating Rights to Kyle Okposo
        COL
        1. Beauvillier, Anthony
        Additional Details:
        2016 1st round pick (Edmonton's pick)
        Buyouts
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        22$71,400,000$65,443,262$0$500,000$5,956,738
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        $5,571,429$5,571,429
        LW, C
        UFA - 5
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        C, LW
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 2
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        RW, C
        UFA - 2
        $4,187,500$4,187,500
        LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $3,300,000$3,300,000
        RW, LW, C
        UFA - 2
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 2
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 2
        $3,750,000$3,750,000
        LW
        UFA - 3
        $2,750,000$2,750,000
        RW
        UFA - 1
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 4
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        C
        UFA - 5
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        LW
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 5
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RD
        NMC
        UFA - 6
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        G
        UFA - 5
        $2,750,000$2,750,000
        LD
        UFA - 6
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
        RD
        UFA - 2
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $2,200,000$2,200,000
        LD
        UFA - 2
        $1,966,667$1,966,667
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $854,333$854,333
        LD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 12:50 p.m.
        I like Eich
        Not bad, but Andersen will cost a lot more than a 4th round pick. He's proved he can be a good starter now, potential great starter in the future. Look at trades for Eddie Lack, Robin Lehner, Martin Jones, and Cam Talbot from last offseason. Andersen may be worth more than any of these guys too, and Lehner and Jones went for 1st round picks
        Hawkisles liked this.
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 12:53 p.m.
        Quoting: mikeyscav
        Not bad, but Andersen will cost a lot more than a 4th round pick. He's proved he can be a good starter now, potential great starter in the future. Look at trades for Eddie Lack, Robin Lehner, Martin Jones, and Cam Talbot from last offseason. Andersen may be worth more than any of these guys too, and Lehner and Jones went for 1st round picks

It'd be trading away the pick for the RIGHTS to Andersen, which let's you get away with a much lower price. We got the rights to Jaroslav Halak for the same price. So you raise a good point, but the price for negotiating rights is almost always a lower or mid round trading pick. However, if I were Garth Snow and Anaheim wanted more in return for the rights to Andersen, I'd be willing to send them a 2nd rounder, which is a VERY generous offer for someone's negotiating rights, especially when Andersen and Anaheim are almost inevitably parting ways.
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 12:55 p.m.
        Jepper24
        Anderson is a RFA this off-season.
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 1:01 p.m.
        Quoting: Jepper24

Yes, that's why I traded for his negotiating rights. I'd rather have all summer to negotiate a contract with him than wait until free agency only to get caught in a bidding war with someone like Toronto who will offer just about any price for a new goalie.
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 1:48 p.m.
        Anderson is a RFA this year and will likely be getting 4-5 mil which is a first and a third as compensation, meaning you wont get him for a 4th
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 2:21 p.m.
        I like Eich
        Quoting: Hawkisles

Yes, that's why I traded for his negotiating rights. I'd rather have all summer to negotiate a contract with him than wait until free agency only to get caught in a bidding war with someone like Toronto who will offer just about any price for a new goalie.
        RFA is different than UFA; UFA anybody can talk to them while a RFA the team holding his rights is the only team that can talk to them and reach a contract (excluding offersheets.) so although you're correct that you are trading just for his rights, as a RFA it's basically like just trading for the player as if he had a contract in place
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 2:24 p.m.
        what the heck is this? Landeskog is not rumoured to be on the trading block. Posting a random fan blog is not rumoured to be on the block......ugh give your head a shake
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 2:43 p.m.
        Quoting: coga16
        what the heck is this? Landeskog is not rumoured to be on the trading block. Posting a random fan blog is not rumoured to be on the block......ugh give your head a shake

Duchene is also on the Trade Block, and I'd be willing to extend a similar offer for him (a bit better though)

Terry Frei of the Denver Post reported that Duchene being traded in the off season is definitely a possibility.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-matt-duchene-colorado-avalanche-lightning-penguins/2016/04/07/
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 2:50 p.m.

Duchene is also on the Trade Block, and I'd be willing to extend a similar offer for him (a bit better though)

Terry Frei of the Denver Post reported that Duchene being traded in the off season is definitely a possibility.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-matt-duchene-colorado-avalanche-lightning-penguins/2016/04/07/

fun fact, all local denver guys have 0 insider knowledge when it come to the Avs, they care about the Broncos and U of D Pios hockey more. Dater, Chambers, Frei all make these crazy claims with nothing to back it up on...example Dater saying that Barrie, Duchene will be traded and Iginla would waive his NTC to go to a contender if the Avs dont pick it up. The next day Iginla comes out and says no I will not waive my NTC when asked about it and is confused why someone is asking him this. Later Dater deletes all his tweets claiming these guys are on the block.

Unless it comes from McKenzie, Friedman, or Dreger, its not note worthy, especially if the sources are Frei, Chambers, or Dater. There is a reason why the real insider pros never talk about those local Avs guy rumours on the national stage...they arent credible. These are the same guys who threw a public hissy fit that the Avs released their own press release about the outdoor game instead of just hand delivering it to them so they can break the story. All 3 of them are jokes and are not hockey guys, they cover the Avs bc they have to
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 3:01 p.m.

fun fact, all local denver guys have 0 insider knowledge when it come to the Avs, they care about the Broncos and U of D Pios hockey more. Dater, Chambers, Frei all make these crazy claims with nothing to back it up on...example Dater saying that Barrie, Duchene will be traded and Iginla would waive his NTC to go to a contender if the Avs dont pick it up. The next day Iginla comes out and says no I will not waive my NTC when asked about it and is confused why someone is asking him this. Later Dater deletes all his tweets claiming these guys are on the block.

Unless it comes from McKenzie, Friedman, or Dreger, its not note worthy, especially if the sources are Frei, Chambers, or Dater. There is a reason why the real insider pros never talk about those local Avs guy rumours on the national stage...they arent credible

Relax coga, it's just a "trade rumour" regardless of who it came from. Its not a personal attack on Landy. No need to be so defensive...... OP even reported links to all things discussed. This is one of the few quality posts on this site.

Good post Hawkisles (even though I totally disagree with some of these trades in terms of logic and equal value going both ways)
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 3:13 p.m.
        Quoting: F50marco

Unless it comes from McKenzie, Friedman, or Dreger, its not note worthy, especially if the sources are Frei, Chambers, or Dater. There is a reason why the real insider pros never talk about those local Avs guy rumours on the national stage...they arent credible

Relax coga, it's just a "trade rumour" regardless of who it came from. Its not a personal attack on Landy. No need to be so defensive...... OP even reported links to all things discussed. This is one of the few quality posts on this site.

Good post Hawkisles (even though I totally disagree with some of these trades in terms of logic and equal value going both ways)

Oh Im not too worked up about it, but just has been an annoying end to the Season for Avs fans, then the local beat writer guys are not helping with their troll job coverage. Dater actually posted that he think the Avs willstrip the C off of Landeskog and give it to Cody McLeod...this is the stuff he puts up there just to get a reaction, then you get these mickey mouse rumour sites latching onto whatever they post not knowing that they love to troll their own local team. And before you know it, its a "rumour".
        Apr. 18, 2016 at 3:44 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Anderson would sure to get more than 3m maybe in 4m on an offer sheet. So realistically his salary has to be higher, and he would certainly get more than 4th rounder. Although Yakupov is worth little and so are negotiating rights to Opkoso, Harmonic is not going to get a top 3 draft choice. The unwanted Halak is worth a 3rd and 4th rounder but the desired Anderson is only worth a fourth rounder?

Jepper: The Leafs will not pay "any price" for a goalie. The Leafs goalie situation is OK for next season, and especially if there is expansion and one goalie protect limit is real, there will be lots of quality goalies available in trade.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll