Forums/Armchair-GM

Tom Wilson: Much Better Than You Think

Created by: ClockReads2113
Team: 2018-19 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 3, 2018
Published: Aug. 3, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here's an article diving deep into Wilson's skill level and how we can live up to his new contract. Just skip to the video section of the article if you aren't convinced.

https://novacapsfans.com/2018/08/02/is-tom-wilson-worth-it-a-deep-dive-into-hockeys-most-controversial-player/
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$69,590,962$82,500$1,100,000$9,909,038
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LW
UFA - 1
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 5
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD
NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Oh I am sure what I'll see.

And I know I am saying this into a vacuum and you'll not hear it but I'll say it anyways.

The comparable guys I have mentioned, haven't ever played with the calibre of players that Wilson did so they are comparables who just never received such a fortuitous opportunity.

Wilson only played with those players for 40 games....including playoffs...... what are you not getting?
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:38 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: capsin9
Wilson only played with those players for 40 games....including playoffs...... what are you not getting?

Is it 40 games or 82 games including the playoffs. I'm not getting out the number of games he played in the top 6 changes depending on the argument I use that he is overpriced.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:47 p.m.
The only way I'll eat my words, and I'm big enough of a person to admit when I am wrong, is if he scores 20 goals or 50 points next year. He won't because I don't think Ovie will be nearly as dominant as he was last year. He's getting up there and each year his 5v5 play will diminish but he'll score a tonne on the PP for several years yet. So each year Wilson will have to do more than he's done with less help. Its a recipe for disaster and it won't end well. If I am wrong though and Wilson scores 50 points this season, I'll happily admit that I am wrong.

Ovi hit 90 points last season, sure he won't be as good but he'll still be elite, as will Kuzey.

Quote:
One thing though I think you should move away from is the whole 5v5 point total thing. Its an outlier season, his average will remain around 20 5v5 points a year and he's not good enough to play on the PP and doesn't get points while killing penalties so he isn't an elite penalty killer. He also gives up the most PK opportunities on the team and league if I read that right in your famed article so that is a negative as well.

I will be insanely surprised if Wilson doesn't hit at least 30 5v5 points this season and even then I'd be disappointed with that, he needs to stay above 35 5v5 points. I'd bet all I have he gets way more than 20 5v5 points. Hell he hit that with bottom 6 time before. Can't prove anything about PP b/c he hasn't been given the chance, but with the small sample size of 27 minutes on the PP he's 2nd on the Caps since he entered the league in PP points/60 with 6.5. As for PK, he's amazing at it. Among starting forwards (100 minutes) last season he was 12th in the whole league at xG+/-.

Quote:
Here is the point I've always tried to make and this goes far beyond Wilson. The guys who make him appear to be a top 6 winger are Ovie and Kuznetsov, not Wilson. Its the same everywhere. Matt Moulsen got paid big by the Islanders because he scored 40+ off sick passes from Tavares, was Moulsen worth what he got paid? Sure, as long as he was playing with Tavares, the moment he wasn't he struggled to score in the double digits. Wilson has never scored much on his own and needs the right people to make him as effective as he was in the playoffs and also I will say the reffing in the playoffs is garbage. Its both ways, refs let everything go and its not a good thing. Speed and skill make way for size and strength because the refs let clutching and grabbing go in the playoffs. That's why Boston won when they did, Vancouver was a way better team but by the time they got to the finals, the big bad bruins were allowed to do what ever they wanted (The Canucks also did that) and just out muscled the smaller more skilled Canucks.

Context is always relevant. Moulson is in the same boat as Clarkson when people bring him up. Moulson was 31 when he signed his deal and his contract would be worth $6.6M today. Wilson is 7 years younger and $1.5M cheaper. It's understandable why Moulson started to suck: was already declining. Wilson is just getting going.

And like I said, I agree Wilson probably can't produce by himself outside of Kuzey or Backstrom as his center, but Kuzey will be here for another 6 years and probably Backstrom and Ovi too. Don't think there will ever be any amount of shortage on skill for Wilson to work with. Plus the cap always going up it will either be a great deal or decent deal as it grows.

Quote:
Don't take that as I think the Capitals are undeserving of their win, they played fantastic and Ovie's performance throughout the playoffs was inspiring. I just think what Wilson did in the playoffs isn't what he will do in the regular season because he'd get penalties or longer suspensions for a lot of the questionable plays he does on a regular basis. What should worry you more than anything is the classic, now that he is getting paid a lot he may feel the need to prove himself, and for a player with his style and skill set, I can see him getting a big suspension for a huge and dirty hit happening very quickly. If that happens or if he starts squeezing the stick at all, all of this will turn really fast.

Yeah that could certainly happen. I guess we'll have to see how he handles the new contract.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
Quoting: biglite351
There are sites that use numbers and literal video showing that the Earth is flat. Coming up with a conclusion and then picking and choosing data to support it does not make it true.

Quoting: ClockReads2113
This just in: facts are not allowed to make a point. This is truly Trump's America.

So then you believe in Flat Earth too... explains a lot.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 3:18 p.m.
Quoting: capsin9
here comes the penguin guy to troll on Wilson........... everyone thats a caps fan understands his value .....by making post like this its just going to annoy you with idiots making he had 35 points and ignore who he played with and his playoff performance and blah blah blah......love this and appreciate it but no o ne is reading the article and they'll make the same dumb comments

and this maple leafs d bag ........ who hates on Wilson but in reality is probably still mad he owed them in the playoffs

not everyone that's a cap fan understands his value, much like every fanbase(including the pens) the caps have a portion of fans that are not very smart. As shown by the people who thought the NHL was picking on him when he was suspended after three suspendable hits in the span of 10 games. There was caps fans angry and claiming the NHL suspended one of their top 5 players. If Wilson was one of their 5 best players the caps don't win the cup last year, period(they probably would have had a difficult time just making the playoffs if that was the case).
In reality he is better than he makes himself seem because all he gets attention for is illegal hits because he delivers them constantly, not as good as some caps fans seem to think, but somewhere in between.
capsin9 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 3:26 p.m.
Quoting: biglite351
So then you believe in Flat Earth too... explains a lot.

Have Flat Earthers ever brought up evidence? No. I'm bringing numbers, visuals, aka facts.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 3:55 p.m.
Banned
Ovi hit 90 points last season, sure he won't be as good but he'll still be elite, as will Kuzey.

Quote:
One thing though I think you should move away from is the whole 5v5 point total thing. Its an outlier season, his average will remain around 20 5v5 points a year and he's not good enough to play on the PP and doesn't get points while killing penalties so he isn't an elite penalty killer. He also gives up the most PK opportunities on the team and league if I read that right in your famed article so that is a negative as well.

I will be insanely surprised if Wilson doesn't hit at least 30 5v5 points this season and even then I'd be disappointed with that, he needs to stay above 35 5v5 points. I'd bet all I have he gets way more than 20 5v5 points. Hell he hit that with bottom 6 time before. Can't prove anything about PP b/c he hasn't been given the chance, but with the small sample size of 27 minutes on the PP he's 2nd on the Caps since he entered the league in PP points/60 with 6.5. As for PK, he's amazing at it. Among starting forwards (100 minutes) last season he was 12th in the whole league at xG+/-.

Quote:
Here is the point I've always tried to make and this goes far beyond Wilson. The guys who make him appear to be a top 6 winger are Ovie and Kuznetsov, not Wilson. Its the same everywhere. Matt Moulsen got paid big by the Islanders because he scored 40+ off sick passes from Tavares, was Moulsen worth what he got paid? Sure, as long as he was playing with Tavares, the moment he wasn't he struggled to score in the double digits. Wilson has never scored much on his own and needs the right people to make him as effective as he was in the playoffs and also I will say the reffing in the playoffs is garbage. Its both ways, refs let everything go and its not a good thing. Speed and skill make way for size and strength because the refs let clutching and grabbing go in the playoffs. That's why Boston won when they did, Vancouver was a way better team but by the time they got to the finals, the big bad bruins were allowed to do what ever they wanted (The Canucks also did that) and just out muscled the smaller more skilled Canucks.

Context is always relevant. Moulson is in the same boat as Clarkson when people bring him up. Moulson was 31 when he signed his deal and his contract would be worth $6.6M today. Wilson is 7 years younger and $1.5M cheaper. It's understandable why Moulson started to suck: was already declining. Wilson is just getting going.

And like I said, I agree Wilson probably can't produce by himself outside of Kuzey or Backstrom as his center, but Kuzey will be here for another 6 years and probably Backstrom and Ovi too. Don't think there will ever be any amount of shortage on skill for Wilson to work with. Plus the cap always going up it will either be a great deal or decent deal as it grows.

Quote:
Don't take that as I think the Capitals are undeserving of their win, they played fantastic and Ovie's performance throughout the playoffs was inspiring. I just think what Wilson did in the playoffs isn't what he will do in the regular season because he'd get penalties or longer suspensions for a lot of the questionable plays he does on a regular basis. What should worry you more than anything is the classic, now that he is getting paid a lot he may feel the need to prove himself, and for a player with his style and skill set, I can see him getting a big suspension for a huge and dirty hit happening very quickly. If that happens or if he starts squeezing the stick at all, all of this will turn really fast.

Yeah that could certainly happen. I guess we'll have to see how he handles the new contract.

Did you honeslty just use 27 minutes of powerplay time to say that Wilson has one of the best PP points/60 minutes in the league? That's not just a small sample size, its an insanely small sample size. HE HASN'T EVEN PLAYED 60 MINUTES OF POWERPLAY TIME!!!!

This is just silly now.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 4:01 p.m.

Did you honeslty just use 27 minutes of powerplay time to say that Wilson has one of the best PP points/60 minutes in the league? That's not just a small sample size, its an insanely small sample size. HE HASN'T EVEN PLAYED 60 MINUTES OF POWERPLAY TIME!!!!

This is just silly now.

I literally said "Can't prove anything about PP b/c he hasn't been given the chance, but with the small sample size of 27 minutes on the PP..."

So I not only said I can't prove anything, I also said it was a small sample size. Chill your jets. Also, I didn't say in the league, I said just on the Caps.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 4:04 p.m.
Banned
I literally said "Can't prove anything about PP b/c he hasn't been given the chance, but with the small sample size of 27 minutes on the PP..."

So I not only said I can't prove anything, I also said it was a small sample size. Chill your jets. Also, I didn't say in the league, I said just on the Caps.

My mistake.

And because its a long weekend we are heading into and because I'm a nice guy, I'll say this.

I don't hate Wilson and think his style of play is always good to have around, I'd never pay that much for it but I like it and I completely understand why he gets so much love. My formative years were spent watching Darcy Tucker be a little ball of hate who could also score some points. Those guys are just awesome to have around. Just not at that price.
ClockReads2113 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 5:10 p.m.
Good read. Definitely does a good job of showing Wilson's value and his role on the team. Sums up the situation pretty well. Definitely looks like an over-payment, but the guy is a valuable and productive part of this team, and it would be incredibly difficult to find a replacement for him.
ClockReads2113 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll