Forums/Armchair-GM

ek signing in edm debate

Created by: TheTinkler
Team: 2018-19 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 19, 2018
Published: Aug. 19, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Either they aquire karlsson through free agencies or trade I think he would love edmonton i get the taxes are higher but he will be making huge money 11 mill plus a year and edmonton has what I think will be the best team in the world one day, Edmonton needs 3 things a top 6 winger cam talbot to come up big and a number one defenceman and I know people will say they got a great young dcore doesnt mean they are good enough to win with I think they got more top 6 forwards in there system coming up so karlsson is the answer to this team woes in my opinion would love to hear your opinions on this or have a debate about it but at this point in karlssons career id think he would be looking towards his legacy now and trying to win multiple cups.
Trades
OTT
    whatever they workout or sign him as a ufa.
    Buyouts
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$79,500,000$81,165,331$0$2,730,000-$1,665,331
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 7
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
    RW
    RFA - 3
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 3
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $1,950,000$1,950,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $650,000$650,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:36 p.m.
    BigBeardBurns
    Little bit of a salary cap problem with keeping McDavid, Draisaitl and EK dont u think?
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:36 p.m.
    I don't see Karlsson signing in any other Canadian market, if the impossible happens and he mends his relationship with the Sens he would resign there.
    other than that, he is going to sign in the states somewhere where he will get paid what he deserves and will be away from crazy Canadian hockey media types
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:38 p.m.
    Quoting: BigBeardBurns
    Little bit of a salary cap problem with keeping McDavid, Draisaitl and EK dont u think?

Thats why I thought a trade would make it safer for them but yeah I realize cap would be a problem for the future thats why at least with a trade you could offload russell or something along those line and will help clear up a little space maybe see what you can do with the lucic contract it would take work but sitting back and doing the same as last year isnt going to help them come out of the west cap problems are solvable.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:39 p.m.
    Quoting: coga16
    I don't see Karlsson signing in any other Canadian market, if the impossible happens and he mends his relationship with the Sens he would resign there.

I dont think he re-signs there i wish he would but I doubt it and I dont think dislikeing one canadian franchise means he wont sign for another if thats what you mean.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:41 p.m.
    Log off the internet
    Why is this a debate? Oilers can’t afford Karlsson even at his current cap hit
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
    Quoting: TheTinkler
    I dont think he re-signs there i wish he would but I doubt it and I dont think dislikeing one canadian franchise means he wont sign for another if thats what you mean.

I expanded on my post. Its more to getting away from the storyline that he would have to deal with if he signed in a place like Edmonton. If he leaves Ottawa, its a clean break from it all. Signing in Canada will just prolong him having to deal with questions about Ottawa for years to come
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
    other than that, he is going to sign in the states somewhere where he will get paid what he deserves and will be away from crazy Canadian hockey media types

I get what you mean by crazy canadian media but he will get paid what he deserves in edmonton if they can make space if not no other canadian team can afford him but I dont think that he is scared away from a whole country cause of ottawa just cause of cap space maybe
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:44 p.m.
    I expanded on my post. Its more to getting away from the storyline that he would have to deal with if he signed in a place like Edmonton. If he leaves Ottawa, its a clean break from it all. Signing in Canada will just prolong him having to deal with questions about Ottawa for years to come

I noticed you expanded it and i dont know if i agree with that cause I think he is in the west there is no division rivalry I think he just simply goes west.
    I get what you mean by crazy canadian media but he will get paid what he deserves in edmonton if they can make space if not no other canadian team can afford him but I dont think that he is scared away from a whole country cause of ottawa just cause of cap space maybe

Play in Edmonton and lose 50% of your salary to taxes and deal with TSN/Sportsnet guys for the length of your contract after ever game...or sign in Florida, Texas, etc tax free and wont have to deal with questions about Hoffman, Ottawa, Eugene, etc anymore and let him and his wife have their privacy

After everything he has gone through personally, I think the draw of privacy in playing with the States will be huge vs being under the microscope in a place like Edmonton...who have some of the worst media personals in the whole league with some of the crap they talk about especially about players personal lives
    Quoting: Hedman77

Cause I felt like making it a debate and maybe re read the convo's and you will see.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:47 p.m.
    Play in Edmonton and lose 50% of your salary to taxes and deal with TSN/Sportsnet guys for the length of your contract after ever game...or sign in Florida, Texas, etc tax free and wont have to deal with questions about Hoffman, Ottawa, Eugene, etc anymore and let him and his wife have their privacy

well if he signs in florida he will be back with hoffman and they dont lose 50 percent to taxes feels like it sometimes but not that much and I think that unless he goes to tampa which has cap problems themselves edmonton is a great candidate to have multiple cups in the future if they can lock down a number one D where tampa is there same but they have same cap issues as edmonton and they get lots of goals from guys in smaller contracts at the moment that will want a raise and they will also be depleted eventually so it leaves him a chances to play in a city where he shows up and the cup talk starts thats what i meant by it.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:50 p.m.
    Quoting: Hedman77

So does tampa hasnt stopped them from being the number one contender for him outside of dallas.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:50 p.m.
    well if he signs in florida he will be back with hoffman and they dont lose 50 percent to taxes feels like it sometimes but not that much and I think that unless he goes to tampa which has cap problems themselves edmonton is a great candidate to have multiple cups in the future if they can lock down a number one D where tampa is there same but they have same cap issues as edmonton and they get lots of goals from guys in smaller contracts at the moment that will want a raise and they will also be depleted eventually so it leaves him a chances to play in a city where he shows up and the cup talk starts thats what i meant by it.

Florida the state, not Florida the team. We are talking about Tampa here. And that was just tossed out there as examples of places were its tax free.

Really do think Edmonton is the worst place for him to sign, just doesnt make a lot of sense
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.

After everything he has gone through personally, I think the draw of privacy in playing with the States will be huge vs being under the microscope in a place like Edmonton...who have some of the worst media personals in the whole league with some of the crap they talk about especially about players personal lives

I get what you mean by the media i live in vancouver man i feel ya on that one but I really dont think that is a playing factor for him on this I feel like he wants to play for a cup or even in some u.s markets hockey is growing and the media around it is growing that kind of crap will happen there eventually in some markets also I truly think it isnt about that in this situation the only reason it would be is if the hoffman thing and thats done for so.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:55 p.m.
    Florida the state, not Florida the team. We are talking about Tampa here. And that was just tossed out there as examples of places were its tax free.

Really do think Edmonton is the worst place for him to sign, just doesnt make a lot of sense[/

Ok but then he just in the same state as them and I just cannot see how edmonton is the worst place for him im sorry im trying to see it I just dont.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:57 p.m.

Really do think Edmonton is the worst place for him to sign, just doesnt make a lot of sense

could you explain how a young team with a good dressing room in a city that wants to win isnt good for him I get the pressure sucks but It will be there either way if he wants to win a cup.
    Bcarlo25
    Okay first off, you need to use punctuation. Reading that rant was damn near impossible.

As for the topic, cmon, Karlsson isn’t going to sign in Edmonton. It’s the most dreary city in the nhl. Dark, cold...
    Why wouldn’t he sign in Tampa? They’re the better team, have the lowest tax rate, and the weather is nice.
    I get what you mean by the media i live in vancouver man i feel ya on that one but I really dont think that is a playing factor for him on this I feel like he wants to play for a cup or even in some u.s markets hockey is growing and the media around it is growing that kind of crap will happen there eventually in some markets also I truly think it isnt about that in this situation the only reason it would be is if the hoffman thing and thats done for so.

If you think his wife and family wont have an impact In where he wants to play, you are kidding yourself.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 1:59 p.m.
    could you explain how a young team with a good dressing room in a city that wants to win isnt good for him I get the pressure sucks but It will be there either way if he wants to win a cup.

Good dressing room? There was a punch of stuff about Draistil sleeping with Nurses sister and he got a black eye and concussion from a fight about it. Thats exactly the kid of stuff that players have to deal with that with the Edmonton Media, the spin those stories. Saying a good dressing room now you are just trying to pander with opinions as facts. You have no idea what the locker room dynamic is, neither do I, so its not really a valid point
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:01 p.m.
    If you think his wife and family wont have an impact In where he wants to play, you are kidding yourself.

I didnt say that I said I think your reasoning isnt good enough canada is a great place to play hockey thats exactly why tavares left new york for toronto when san jose offered him more money cause he wanted to play a place he dreamed of playing cause this is hockey and the media is everywhere might as well sign somewhere you can win a cup and edmonton is not some giant shithole people just go to die they wont hate it there tampa will have major issues signing him as a ufa so i think you are kidding yourself here.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
    Good dressing room? There was a punch of stuff about Draistil sleeping with Nurses sister and he got a black eye and concussion from a fight about it. Thats exactly the kid of stuff that players have to deal with that with the Edmonton Media, the spin those stories. Saying a good dressing room now you are just trying to pander with opinions as facts. You have no idea what the locker room dynamic is, neither do I, so its not really a valid point

lol again there is no proof of any of that and those kinda of rumours will exist anywhere I think in a dressing room being led by good veterans and a star captain will be fine for him i think your reasons for not playing in edmonton arent good enough man thats it maybe mine arent either but you are playing one card and making stuff up.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:04 p.m.
    lol again there is no proof of any of that and those kinda of rumours will exist anywhere I think in a dressing room being led by good veterans and a star captain will be fine for him i think your reasons for not playing in edmonton arent good enough man thats it maybe mine arent either but you are playing one card and making stuff up.

thats what I said, You dont know and neither do I so you cant just say its a good locker room as a fact. Its your opinion
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:06 p.m.
    thats what I said, You dont know and neither do I so you cant just say its a good locker room as a fact. Its your opinion

It is I agree but Tampa could be a shithole too we dont know thats why I brought up the debate about where to play instead of saying but also we have to worry about the media cause the media will be there either way.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:06 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Good for you to get the discussion going. Your post basically asks TWO questions: (1) would Karlsson likely sign in Edmonton?, and (2) if so, what is a reasonable price for the Oilers to pay for him? Most of the responses address only the first one. I'm in agreement with the commenters that EK is only likely to go to an American team and probably one in a no-state-tax state (Florida, Texas, Nevada). Florida is out as a personal matter (as I know all too well -- I accidentally traded him there earlier this summer and BOY did I hear about it) so you're looking at Tampa, Dallas and Las Vegas. One of the problems is his presumed $4.5M raise next year, so cap-close teams have a problem. As far as the second question goes, I think Ottawa fans are going to be disappointed at the return if/when EK gets traded. Edmonton would like to part with Russell or Sekera if only to lessen the cap problem but both have NTC's. So Edmonton is left offering a package like a first and second and a defense prospect like Persson or Mantha and a wing prospect like one of the three Russians -- a package which, in my opinion, is what EK is worth in this market.
    TheTinkler liked this.
    Aug. 19, 2018 at 2:07 p.m.

Saying he will pick a u.s team cause the media is scary isnt a valid point

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll