Forums/Armchair-GM

Thoughts Waivers

Created by: LetsTalkNHL
Team: 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 26, 2018
Published: Oct. 26, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1. The Penguins are 5-1-2. They have played well, but it feels like something is missing.

2. If Penguins want to change something offensively, who comes out of your lineup? I cannot see Sid, Guentzel, Malkin, Phil, Brass, Hornqvist, Cullen, Sheahan or Rust come out. I know people think Rust has not performed too well, but he is a player you can put on any lineup and he will do his job; when he is on his game, puts up a good amount of points, good on PK. Grant serves as extra/12th man. That leaves you with 3 guys:
Sprong: Many people move him because he is not getting to play. I would still wait until he gets that chance. Sprong's Average TOI is 7:55, the lowest among Penguins. He still has 3 assists in 7 games. I really think he deserves a real shot of playing with Sid, or at least more minutes. He has skill and potential, just needs a chance to actually show it.
Simon: I usually move Simon out when I make trades, but he has been playing well. 5 points in 8 games, good depth piece.
Hagelin: I am honestly torn on Hags. His line is the only line that has stayed put all year. He is one of the important PK pieces. He plays a fast paced game. At the same time, he averages 15:58 a game, and only has 2 points in 8 games, tied for last among Penguins forwards with Sheahan (not counting Grant, who has played 1 game). Sheahan plays 14:11 on average, but plays on the 4th line and PK most of the time. Hagelin does play PK, but plays 2nd line minutes with 2 amazing players. He should really be more offensively present.

Do the Penguins move either of these guys in order to add to their offense? I would personally like to add someone who has struggled for possibly cheap, such as Namestnikov (NYR) or Pearson (LA).

3. As for the defense, I would keep it as is for now until Schultz is back, and then move someone out. I would personally move Maatta out, as you can get a good return on him, and it helps the cap situation.

4. Also, Sustr (ANA) was just placed on waivers. Would you claim?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$70,379,892$0$982,500$9,120,108
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 5
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 4
$2,137,500$2,137,500
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 5
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 26, 2018 at 12:27 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Oct. 26, 2018 at 12:39 p.m.
Sprong means more to PIT than anyone else. He's a high end offensive talent that's got (2) more years on his ELC and then he'll be signed fairly cheap because he's not getting a ton of ice time. PIT NEEDS guys like this to sit in their system. Their whole playing style is #1 run and gun...and #2 stay below the cap. Defense has always been optional and goaltending slightly more important than D. AND IT's WORKED!!! It's we're scoring 9 goals...let's see if you can score 10!!! Heck, TOR's adopting the same strategy! Sprong has 4-5 more years of being a cheap forward that can be a HUGE playmaker when placed next to their future HOFers.

***EDIT*** Thanks @LetsTalkNHL for the correction!
MajesticWalrus and LetsTalkNHL liked this.
Oct. 26, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
Sprong means more to PIT than anyone else. He's a high end offensive talent that's got (2) more years on his ELC and then he'll be signed fairly cheap because he's not getting a ton of ice time. PIT NEEDS guys like this to sit in their system. Their whole playing style is #1 run and gun...and #2 stay below the cap. Defense has always been optional and goaltending slightly more important than D. AND IT's WORKED!!! It's we're scoring 9 goals...let's see if you can score 10!!! Heck, TOR's adopting the same strategy! Sprong has 4-5 more years of being a cheap forward that can be a HUGE playmaker when placed next to their future HOFers.

He is no longer on his ELC, but I know exactly what you mean. He is signed cheap right now. I do not see the logic in moving him right now.
exo2769 and MajesticWalrus liked this.
Oct. 26, 2018 at 1:31 p.m.
Who adds what?
Sustr probably gets claimed before he gets back to Pittsburgh in waiver position. Right-shot defensemen are in short supply in the NHL, he's tall, and he's played 300 games. Not much offense, with about 60 points, and only about 1 hit per game and one block every other game make him not very physical, but he's tall, he plays hockey, and he has some professional experience, so yeah, Pittsburgh is among the teams that put in a claim for his services.
LetsTalkNHL liked this.
Oct. 26, 2018 at 2:18 p.m.
AHL Emissary
Until an injury occurs, the only guys getting rotated in and out will be Simon and Sprong. Simon made some plays recently so he stays, Sprong got bodied on a reverse check so he sits. That's just the nature of guys at the bottom of the roster in October. Hagelin might not be producing and the line might not be dominating the ad stats at evens, but Malkin and Kessel are producing and Hagelin isn't interfering. He's the most responsible forward with the most irresponsible forwards, so until they start getting shelled and more pucks end up in the wrong net, Hagelin stays in the lineup and on that line.

There are enough guys in Wilkes-Barre with NHL potential that if the lineup needs a good rattling someone can get a reward with the big club. None of them are realistically going to produce this year or even next, but the forward depth is there for a few different recalls. Unless a struggling guy like Pearson falls into your lap the Pens don't need to be expending assets on a shakeup with young hungry guys waiting a few hours away. Side note: I'd steer clear of Namestnikov, I saw enough of him in the AHL to know that he's one I'd those good-but-not-great players that needs stars to feed off of if he's going to put up 30+ points in the NHL. He had decent chemistry in Tampa, but given his cap hit and how much the Rangers would want for him it would be a costly risk to see if he could find it again here.

Sustr probably doesn't make it to the Pens simply because there aren't enough right-handed defensemen to go around. At this point in the season 98 right-handed defenders have played at least one NHL game, compared to 134 lefties. Last season 186 LHD's suited up for an NHL game, compared to just 120 RHD's. If Sustr does in fact make it down the waiver wire to Pittsburgh there's very little risk in claiming him: the Pens can always re-waive him and expect Anaheim to take him back, almost all of his contract can be buried in the AHL if he does clear for us, and it's only a one year deal so no baggage. He's a 3rd pairing stay at home defenseman that's probably better than Chad Ruhwedel, what more justification do you need?
LetsTalkNHL liked this.
Oct. 26, 2018 at 3:16 p.m.
I am fine with the way you have it set up here.
Hagelin is important part of the team, both on the PK and 5on5 even when he isn't scoring. Malkin and kessel are not really known for being responsible defensively, hagelin is the best defensive forward on the team. So he can balance it out a bit.
Simon: I know a lot of fans don't think highly of him, to me he is a decent forward who could be rotated in and out at times. Sullivan definitely likes him(and we know how Sullivan plays favorites) so odds are he will be in there a lot.
Sprong: I think it would be good for him to get a bit more time, but again sulivan plays favorites more than most coaches in the league I have seen. Sprong is definitely on his "not favorite" list. Realistically sprong should be in the AHL still but the team mismanaged him so they cant send him down. Play him with Crosby or brassard some, bump rust down to the fourth line. Doesn't hurt to see what happens.
LetsTalkNHL liked this.
Oct. 26, 2018 at 3:26 p.m.
Quoting: Eli
Sustr probably gets claimed before he gets back to Pittsburgh in waiver position. Right-shot defensemen are in short supply in the NHL, he's tall, and he's played 300 games. Not much offense, with about 60 points, and only about 1 hit per game and one block every other game make him not very physical, but he's tall, he plays hockey, and he has some professional experience, so yeah, Pittsburgh is among the teams that put in a claim for his services.

Fair enough.
Oct. 26, 2018 at 3:29 p.m.
Quoting: Jake_H
Until an injury occurs, the only guys getting rotated in and out will be Simon and Sprong. Simon made some plays recently so he stays, Sprong got bodied on a reverse check so he sits. That's just the nature of guys at the bottom of the roster in October. Hagelin might not be producing and the line might not be dominating the ad stats at evens, but Malkin and Kessel are producing and Hagelin isn't interfering. He's the most responsible forward with the most irresponsible forwards, so until they start getting shelled and more pucks end up in the wrong net, Hagelin stays in the lineup and on that line.

There are enough guys in Wilkes-Barre with NHL potential that if the lineup needs a good rattling someone can get a reward with the big club. None of them are realistically going to produce this year or even next, but the forward depth is there for a few different recalls. Unless a struggling guy like Pearson falls into your lap the Pens don't need to be expending assets on a shakeup with young hungry guys waiting a few hours away. Side note: I'd steer clear of Namestnikov, I saw enough of him in the AHL to know that he's one I'd those good-but-not-great players that needs stars to feed off of if he's going to put up 30+ points in the NHL. He had decent chemistry in Tampa, but given his cap hit and how much the Rangers would want for him it would be a costly risk to see if he could find it again here.

Sustr probably doesn't make it to the Pens simply because there aren't enough right-handed defensemen to go around. At this point in the season 98 right-handed defenders have played at least one NHL game, compared to 134 lefties. Last season 186 LHD's suited up for an NHL game, compared to just 120 RHD's. If Sustr does in fact make it down the waiver wire to Pittsburgh there's very little risk in claiming him: the Pens can always re-waive him and expect Anaheim to take him back, almost all of his contract can be buried in the AHL if he does clear for us, and it's only a one year deal so no baggage. He's a 3rd pairing stay at home defenseman that's probably better than Chad Ruhwedel, what more justification do you need?

I guess you may be right about Vlad. Only really performed alongside Stam/Kuch, but then again, he's only playing about 11 minutes on average with the Rangers. Anyways, I would prefer Pearson. I know it might not make sense to switch up Hags, but in the long term, it may pay off. Either way, it's something to think about. As for Sustr, I think he would be a nice addition.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 11:07 a.m.
No team claimed Sustr which is surprising since he is a RHD and would have been free to get. Good size decent skating. Wouldnt have been bad for a depth def and possible later trade chip if he played better for the Pens.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll