RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 15, 2018 at 11:20 p.m.
Max
But they won't take that. Have u been awake for any of the stuff about Nylander
Nov. 15, 2018 at 11:25 p.m.
Quoting: Molson22
But they won't take that. Have u been awake for any of the stuff about Nylander

Oh yeah I have, but if he wants to stop being a cancer and actually play hockey, he'll shut up and take a paycut. Because that's what championship caliber players do for championships.
PuckPal liked this.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 11:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ChowYunFat
Oh yeah I have, but if he wants to stop being a cancer and actually play hockey, he'll shut up and take a paycut. Because that's what championship caliber players do for championships.

That's an ignorant statement and rude to villify a young man who wants to make sure he is compensated for his ability. He'll sign soon enough but he isn't wrong for exercising his rights as a player and a human being.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 12:14 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
That's an ignorant statement and rude to villify a young man who wants to make sure he is compensated for his ability. He'll sign soon enough but he isn't wrong for exercising his rights as a player and a human being.

I'm sorry, but being a 60-point scorer doesn't mean you deserve eight million dollars. The reason why he's asking for that kind of money is because Peter Chiarelli screwed the entire league by signing Draisaitl to an undeserved contract at the time, and Nylander thinks he can push around the Maple Leafs head office for what he wants. He's not an eight million dollar player, and I personally hope he gets traded as an example to Marner and Matthews that the individual is not above the team.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 12:35 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I'm sorry, but being a 60-point scorer doesn't mean you deserve eight million dollars. The reason why he's asking for that kind of money is because Peter Chiarelli screwed the entire league by signing Draisaitl to an undeserved contract at the time, and Nylander thinks he can push around the Maple Leafs head office for what he wants. He's not an eight million dollar player, and I personally hope he gets traded as an example to Marner and Matthews that the individual is not above the team.

I kinda disagree with that logic of "trading Nylander". Aren't you telling other players, you can get a few more dollars elsewhere if you don't sign a RFA contract with the Leafs. To me it's more important to keep Nylander, and on the Leafs terms. Certainly doesn't like he is pushing the Leafs management around at all. Besides it's Nylander's right not to sign any contract he doesn't like. Really there is no reason that Leafs can't sign their RFAs at fair value.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 2:57 a.m.

That's just the issue though, fans want Nylander to take a pat cut to stay in Toronto. A pay cut implies less than he's worth. Over a long term deal I have no doubt that a 60 point, 22 year old will likely be worth $7-8m. It might not be a bargain deal but it'll be fair value.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 3:08 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
I kinda disagree with that logic of "trading Nylander". Aren't you telling other players, you can get a few more dollars elsewhere if you don't sign a RFA contract with the Leafs. To me it's more important to keep Nylander, and on the Leafs terms. Certainly doesn't like he is pushing the Leafs management around at all. Besides it's Nylander's right not to sign any contract he doesn't like. Really there is no reason that Leafs can't sign their RFAs at fair value.

Initially I was under the impression that the Big 3 would all get signed to reasonable contracts, but this was before Tavares was signed. Before July 1st, I heard these numbers floating around by analysts, not commentators: 10M for Matthews, 7M for Marner, 6M for Nylander. When I heard Nylander was looking for 8M, I honestly thought it was a joke. Regardless, people have to realize that if Nylander doesn't drop his price by late November, he will either be traded or sit out the rest of the season, the latter of which will take away a pivotal year of development for Nylander.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 3:12 a.m.
Quoting: CaptJosef
That's just the issue though, fans want Nylander to take a pat cut to stay in Toronto. A pay cut implies less than he's worth. Over a long term deal I have no doubt that a 60 point, 22 year old will likely be worth $7-8m. It might not be a bargain deal but it'll be fair value.

But no one seems to remember that an 84 point player is signed to 6.75M, and was signed to that contract after carrying a team on his back and putting up 78 points. That player is Johnny Gaudreau, of course, which if people think Nylander is better than Gaudreau, are not knowledgeable about hockey.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 3:39 a.m.
But no one seems to remember that an 84 point player is signed to 6.75M, and was signed to that contract after carrying a team on his back and putting up 78 points. That player is Johnny Gaudreau, of course, which if people think Nylander is better than Gaudreau, are not knowledgeable about hockey.

You can't actually tell me the Gaudreau contract is par for the course. It's an absolute steal for the Flames and a huge outlier in terms of point per cap hit dollar for a player on a long term deal. Also that deal was 9.5% of the cap at the time. That's $7.55m in todays cap. $7-8m would be fair for Nylander, not a steal and not an overpayment, just fair.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 4:55 a.m.
You can't actually tell me the Gaudreau contract is par for the course. It's an absolute steal for the Flames and a huge outlier in terms of point per cap hit dollar for a player on a long term deal. Also that deal was 9.5% of the cap at the time. That's $7.55m in todays cap. $7-8m would be fair for Nylander, not a steal and not an overpayment, just fair.

It's called players focusing on winning more than a half million dollars more than what they should be getting. Plus, if Gaudreau's adjusted caphit were to be $7.55M, Nylander still doesn't deserve greater or equal to $7M. Gaudreau scored 78 points while Nylander hasn't cracked 62, and won't have a chance to crack 62 until his fifth season in the NHL. Cry me a river, but Nylander is not important enough for ~10% of the cap. Look what the Leafs are doing without him. They don't need him to win a cup; he needs them to win a cup. He doesn't have the leverage to ask for >= $7M, at least not with the Leafs. A more desperate team will pay that price, because they're desperate. Just like how the Oilers were desperate to sign Draisaitl and Lucic, and signed them to those ridiculous contract, the latter more ridiculous than the former.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 5:25 a.m.

No one blames him for trying to get every dollar he can. The problem i'm having is his logic why he's worth 8 million, the fact that every player around him in skill and age are signing for between 6- 6.7 per season on a long term deal, and that he truly does not want to except the fact that he is at this point worth only that. He is trying to intimidate the leafs into giving in but the fact is that are doing extremely well without him and the only leverage he has is not playing this year and as you can see the leafs are not going to collapse without him. I really think he should suck it up except a bridge deal for about 2-3 years at around 5 million let Matthews and marner set the market and worst case argue this infront on a arbitrator though odds are barring a ppg like marner which at that point the leafs would probably be ok with giving him a matching deal as marner he can explain to him/her why he deserves 8 million a year.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 8:11 a.m.
Banned

Marner, Matthews and Nylander are all star players, they deserve the big bucks the rest of the team can fall in line. You don't alienate your stars that's just dumb. He won't get 8 but he doesn't want to sign for less than he's worth and TO hasn't come up from their price of around 6 apparently give it a week and the sides will be closer since TO will be able to offer more on a longer term.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 8:20 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: PuckPal
No one blames him for trying to get every dollar he can. The problem i'm having is his logic why he's worth 8 million, the fact that every player around him in skill and age are signing for between 6- 6.7 per season on a long term deal, and that he truly does not want to except the fact that he is at this point worth only that. He is trying to intimidate the leafs into giving in but the fact is that are doing extremely well without him and the only leverage he has is not playing this year and as you can see the leafs are not going to collapse without him. I really think he should suck it up except a bridge deal for about 2-3 years at around 5 million let Matthews and marner set the market and worst case argue this infront on a arbitrator though odds are barring a ppg like marner which at that point the leafs would probably be ok with giving him a matching deal as marner he can explain to him/her why he deserves 8 million a year.

A couple things, calling Nylander a girl makes you look bad. Being a woman doesn't make someone a greedy which is what I think you are getting at. Grow up and don't be ignorant. His point of view is this, you want to compare him to Pasternak go ahead, and before Boston fans jump down my throat just hear me out. Pastrnaks contract is a steal! He should be getting over 8 and signed too early for less than he was worth. Nylander sees that and feels he could have easily done the same but doesn't want too. I think it'll mean he'll sign a 2 year deal at 6 or just under which will let him get paid his big contract at a much higher rate after that.

You say no one blames him for wanting to get paid fairly but then call him a girl for holding out.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 8:25 a.m.
It's called players focusing on winning more than a half million dollars more than what they should be getting. Plus, if Gaudreau's adjusted caphit were to be $7.55M, Nylander still doesn't deserve greater or equal to $7M. Gaudreau scored 78 points while Nylander hasn't cracked 62, and won't have a chance to crack 62 until his fifth season in the NHL. Cry me a river, but Nylander is not important enough for ~10% of the cap. Look what the Leafs are doing without him. They don't need him to win a cup; he needs them to win a cup. He doesn't have the leverage to ask for >= $7M, at least not with the Leafs. A more desperate team will pay that price, because they're desperate. Just like how the Oilers were desperate to sign Draisaitl and Lucic, and signed them to those ridiculous contract, the latter more ridiculous than the former.

The thing you keep ignoring is that the Gaudreau deal is a steal. Thus his 9.5% cap hit represented a win for the Flames. Probably a reasonable deal at the time was probably in the $7. 5m range. That would be $8.2m in today's money. Not to mention that you're paying Nylander to get better. If you think he's never gonna be more than a 60-65 point player then you absolutely should trade him. He's 22, it's highly unlikely he's reached his peak yet.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 6:20 p.m.
A couple things, calling Nylander a girl makes you look bad. Being a woman doesn't make someone a greedy which is what I think you are getting at. Grow up and don't be ignorant. His point of view is this, you want to compare him to Pasternak go ahead, and before Boston fans jump down my throat just hear me out. Pastrnaks contract is a steal! He should be getting over 8 and signed too early for less than he was worth. Nylander sees that and feels he could have easily done the same but doesn't want too. I think it'll mean he'll sign a 2 year deal at 6 or just under which will let him get paid his big contract at a much higher rate after that.

You say no one blames him for wanting to get paid fairly but then call him a girl for holding out.

I never called him a girl all i said was his logic is flawed needs to understand where his value is. Nylander is not as good a Pastrnak. He is as good as Ehlers and Larkin and how much did they get? Oh yeah around 6 million. So thats where the leafs started. But for you to litterly put words in my mouth only cause i disagree with you shows me how immature you are.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 7:02 p.m.
Banned

Please read the last line of your statement I have quoted above.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 10:43 p.m.
Marner, Matthews and Nylander are all star players, they deserve the big bucks the rest of the team can fall in line. You don't alienate your stars that's just dumb. He won't get 8 but he doesn't want to sign for less than he's worth and TO hasn't come up from their price of around 6 apparently give it a week and the sides will be closer since TO will be able to offer more on a longer term.

The thing you keep ignoring is that the Gaudreau deal is a steal. Thus his 9.5% cap hit represented a win for the Flames. Probably a reasonable deal at the time was probably in the $7. 5m range. That would be $8.2m in today's money. Not to mention that you're paying Nylander to get better. If you think he's never gonna be more than a 60-65 point player then you absolutely should trade him. He's 22, it's highly unlikely he's reached his peak yet.

You both keep only looking at this from the player's perspective, which makes you both the ignorant ones. Imagine a scenario where Nylander doesn't take the paycut he's required to to stay on this team and just waits for the Leafs to make the cap space necessary to sign him at at least $7M. This will mean that he'll be a year older and a year removed from NHL ice. If he gets signed to a 6-7 year deal at the minimum caphit he wants, which seems to be around $7.5, and he doesn't produce at the level he did as a younger player, his contract will immediately be panned and quoted as an albatross, which is something the Leafs know a lot about. Clarkson was an albatross, Lupul was an albatross, Phaneuf while being on the Senators, was signed by the Leafs to an albatross, Gardiner is an albatross. This franchise has dealt with albatross contracts since the salary cap era began because they were never able to adjust under the leadership of guys like JFJ, Burke and Nonis. The player deserves the money for the results he's created, not the potential result he can create maybe if he gets better maybe.
Nov. 17, 2018 at 12:03 a.m.
Banned
You both keep only looking at this from the player's perspective, which makes you both the ignorant ones. Imagine a scenario where Nylander doesn't take the paycut he's required to to stay on this team and just waits for the Leafs to make the cap space necessary to sign him at at least $7M. This will mean that he'll be a year older and a year removed from NHL ice. If he gets signed to a 6-7 year deal at the minimum caphit he wants, which seems to be around $7.5, and he doesn't produce at the level he did as a younger player, his contract will immediately be panned and quoted as an albatross, which is something the Leafs know a lot about. Clarkson was an albatross, Lupul was an albatross, Phaneuf while being on the Senators, was signed by the Leafs to an albatross, Gardiner is an albatross. This franchise has dealt with albatross contracts since the salary cap era began because they were never able to adjust under the leadership of guys like JFJ, Burke and Nonis. The player deserves the money for the results he's created, not the potential result he can create maybe if he gets better maybe.

You really should stop my friend, you just compared Nylander to David Clarkson. Do you honestly think that Nylander is going to regress and be a worse player than he has been, keep in mind he's 22 and has shown potential that suggests he could become an elite player. JVR makes 7 million, Nylander is better and he's only going to continue to get better.

What I am doing to is trying to understand the players mind because after all he's a person who has a life to live. He has certain motivations many of which you and I know nothing about. But if you understand the player common ground can be found. The alternative is to get emotional and tell the player that he's being selfish and to demand he steps in line because its what a good drone will do. I wouldn't respond to the latter in a positive way. Do you think his teammates will appreciate that they are all just seen as drones in a machine? This is a sport and a business yes, but if you don't have good people trying to earn trust and loyalty from your employees and players, you aren't going to find much success.
Nov. 17, 2018 at 3:45 a.m.
You really should stop my friend, you just compared Nylander to David Clarkson. Do you honestly think that Nylander is going to regress and be a worse player than he has been, keep in mind he's 22 and has shown potential that suggests he could become an elite player. JVR makes 7 million, Nylander is better and he's only going to continue to get better.

What I am doing to is trying to understand the players mind because after all he's a person who has a life to live. He has certain motivations many of which you and I know nothing about. But if you understand the player common ground can be found. The alternative is to get emotional and tell the player that he's being selfish and to demand he steps in line because its what a good drone will do. I wouldn't respond to the latter in a positive way. Do you think his teammates will appreciate that they are all just seen as drones in a machine? This is a sport and a business yes, but if you don't have good people trying to earn trust and loyalty from your employees and players, you aren't going to find much success.

I think you're just reading what you want to read and drawing your conclusions from there. I never compared David Clarkson to William Nylander. I instead made the case that the Toronto Maple Leafs have a tendency to sign long-term deals with players who show a flash of success, then regress for some reason or another. For Clarkson, it was an overreaction to one satisfactory season. This tendency to sign albatross contracts has made Kyle Dubas cautious, someone who has a difficult job to do that people like you tend to gloss over, and rightfully so.

Nylander has not proven that he is an elite hockey player, only shown to have the potential. The difference between $6.5M and $7.5M over 6-8 years certainly adds up, but is insignificant when the ultimate goal of winning a Stanley Cup is considered. If the main goal for a hockey player is to make money, they've already failed due to the sport they've chosen, as the other three major sports pay leagues above what the NHL offers its players.

What I'm trying to bring to light is the hypocrisy by players who want to win as a team without being team players, like William Nylander has been during his contract arbitration. He says he wants to win in Toronto but won't take half a million or one million dollars less to do so. If Nylander signs for $6.5M, this will set a precedent to the other potential superstar players due for a payday that their personal desires do not come before the team's goal of winning the Stanley Cup. Never mind being a business, the Toronto Maple Leafs want to win a Stanley Cup arguably more than any other franchise, and if players want to be part of a dedicated franchise, they have to be dedicated to the franchise.
Nov. 17, 2018 at 6:23 a.m.
I think you're just reading what you want to read and drawing your conclusions from there. I never compared David Clarkson to William Nylander. I instead made the case that the Toronto Maple Leafs have a tendency to sign long-term deals with players who show a flash of success, then regress for some reason or another. For Clarkson, it was an overreaction to one satisfactory season. This tendency to sign albatross contracts has made Kyle Dubas cautious, someone who has a difficult job to do that people like you tend to gloss over, and rightfully so.

Nylander has not proven that he is an elite hockey player, only shown to have the potential. The difference between $6.5M and $7.5M over 6-8 years certainly adds up, but is insignificant when the ultimate goal of winning a Stanley Cup is considered. If the main goal for a hockey player is to make money, they've already failed due to the sport they've chosen, as the other three major sports pay leagues above what the NHL offers its players.

What I'm trying to bring to light is the hypocrisy by players who want to win as a team without being team players, like William Nylander has been during his contract arbitration. He says he wants to win in Toronto but won't take half a million or one million dollars less to do so. If Nylander signs for $6.5M, this will set a precedent to the other potential superstar players due for a payday that their personal desires do not come before the team's goal of winning the Stanley Cup. Never mind being a business, the Toronto Maple Leafs want to win a Stanley Cup arguably more than any other franchise, and if players want to be part of a dedicated franchise, they have to be dedicated to the franchise.

This isn't a Nylander specific think though. You can say it about every player. Matthews should sign for Crosby money, Marner should sign for Gaudreau money. Tavares should have signed for Kucherov money, etc... If any player wants to win they should take less cap. You can't blame Nylander for wanting to get the maximum value for his prime years. At the end of the day there are teams in the league that would pay him what he's asking because they see it as value. Elite players are paid more than $7.5m these days.
Nov. 17, 2018 at 7:48 a.m.
Please read the last line of your statement I have quoted above.

That was the arbitrator not nylander
Nov. 17, 2018 at 8:10 a.m.
Banned
That was the arbitrator not nylander

Ah, then I am mistaken and I apologize.
Nov. 17, 2018 at 11:22 p.m.
This isn't a Nylander specific think though. You can say it about every player. Matthews should sign for Crosby money, Marner should sign for Gaudreau money. Tavares should have signed for Kucherov money, etc... If any player wants to win they should take less cap. You can't blame Nylander for wanting to get the maximum value for his prime years. At the end of the day there are teams in the league that would pay him what he's asking because they see it as value. Elite players are paid more than $7.5m these days.

If you're arguing that Nylander is an elite player right now, I'm stunned.

How about this? Nylander sits out the rest of the season as it was reported the Leafs are okay with that re Chris Johnston. Then for 2019-2020, he signs a 1-year $5M dollar contract with the condition that if he puts up 80 points, he gets a $7.75M contract.

If only this league had player options, since players would then be okay with taking less money for lower term to prove themselves.

By the way, trading Nylander to someone like Carolina or the Kings is still an option. Those are two markets willing to pay Nylander $7M+. The Rangers would be cool, since his dad played there for a while with Jagr, Lundqvist and Straka. Speaking of Michael, who believes he's behind all this?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll