Forums/Armchair-GM

St Louis Trade

Created by: WhyD
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 6, 2018
Published: Dec. 6, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If St Louis is really shipping Parayko... Hard to work a deal with St Louis... almost all their players have NTC...
Trades
STL
  1. Nylander, William
  2. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
  3. 2019 4th round pick (STL)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$79,500,000$67,483,333$2,550,000$6,250,000$12,016,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 6, 2018 at 12:29 p.m.
LobbysOilers
Fair value, just can't see st Louis moving parayko with Pietrangelo out and their season in the tank
Dec. 6, 2018 at 12:31 p.m.
#LeafsFever
First off, unless it's 1 for 1 that's a terrible deal for Toronto. Second, Kyle Dubas promised Nylander, and reiterated through the media (super stupid of him btw), that as long as he GM, Nylander will not be traded. So, there's a little bit of issue. Does Dubas go back on his word and trade Nylander now that he's signed to a "reasonable" deal. I put reasonable in quotes because his play, now that he's signed, will dictate just how much of a bargain, or perhaps, overpayment, that contract is. Finally, with the glut of big time contracts the Leafs will be handing out soon (Matthews, Marner, Kapanen), the Leafs will have to utilize other means such as international free agent signings, NCAA signings, and most importabtly, drafting. I imagine they will do everything they can to keep their 1st round draft picks for the foreseeable future to try and land high end players that won't cost them much for a while. I am thinking someone like D Matthew Robertson out of the WHL would be an ideal draft choice for them in 2019, even though he shoots left.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 12:35 p.m.
Banned
The value of defenceman on this site is insane. If this is the cost to get a #2 defenceman (lets be honest here, Parayko is not a #1 stud defenceman, he's good but he's a secondary piece), obtaining one is just a detriment to the overall strength of the team. The age of extremism is rampant on capfriendly.
GenXHockey liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 12:39 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: LoganOllivier
The value of defenceman on this site is insane. If this is the cost to get a #2 defenceman (lets be honest here, Parayko is not a #1 stud defenceman, he's good but he's a secondary piece), obtaining one is just a detriment to the overall strength of the team. The age of extremism is rampant on capfriendly.

Or maybe you're just wrong about the value of d men?
Dec. 6, 2018 at 12:55 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bcarlo25

I trust my own judgement. There are not nearly as many elite defenceman as there are elite forwards. So I understand how certain defenceman will be worth so much, its supply and demand. However, what I see is any defenceman who is merely above average (not saying Parayko is only above average) is getting a massive value boost on this site, unless they play for TO, in which case they are orverrated no matter what they do. Manson and Montour for example are considered extremely valuable on here but neither made the top 40 for sportsnets definitive top 40 defenceman over the past 3 seasons. On the same series of lists, Nylander was ranked as the 9th best RW over the same time frame. That was a statistical review of the players and each player was judged on the same merits. So how does the 9th best RW cost way less than the 20th best defenceman (Parayko)? Its just completely overblown.

Okayers with more skill are worth more, or at least that is the way it should be and likely is when you are talking with most successful GM's. On here though, if you shoot right handed and play defence for any team not called the Toronto Maple Leafs, you are worth a top 10 right winger (by the article I have mentioned) plus a top prospect and a 1st rounder. Again I'll say, if this is what the current market value of a right handed defenceman is, then TO should trade all their right handed defenceman for huge packages that they could then flip for better right handed defenceman.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 1:08 p.m.
I understand the point and it is fair. Nonetheless, a mvp was traded for an average d-man 2 yrs ago.

The value of dmen also lies in the balancing of the team. (Because there is less quality D or because the quality forwards make D look average) TO's offence is already stellar... the team would, in my opinion, improve more by adding top 20 D than a Top 10 rw.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 1:26 p.m.
Banned
STL is not moving Parayko... no good reasoning for it
Dec. 6, 2018 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: LobbysOilers
Fair value, just can't see st Louis moving parayko with Pietrangelo out and their season in the tank

I guess if they want to full on tank and get better odds of the 1st overall, trading parayko expedites that....mind you adding Nylander doesn't

Quoting: MG1986
I imagine they will do everything they can to keep their 1st round draft picks for the foreseeable future to try and land high end players that won't cost them much for a while. I am thinking someone like D Matthew Robertson out of the WHL would be an ideal draft choice for them in 2019, even though he shoots left.

I think when you're one of the top teams and your first round picks are possibly going to be 20th overall or worse...it makes parting with the picks easier to swallow if you think you're adding a significant piece. Now, I don't think the trade value is right here...but I don't have problems with the leafs parting with a few high picks to increase the odds of winning a cup.

I don't agree with the trade value suggested here, but Parayko easily becomes our 2nd best defenceman...and does so while being on a team friendly contract. Those two things alone make him a very attractive target.

Quoting: WhyD
I understand the point and it is fair. Nonetheless, a mvp was traded for an average d-man 2 yrs ago.

The value of dmen also lies in the balancing of the team. (Because there is less quality D or because the quality forwards make D look average) TO's offence is already stellar... the team would, in my opinion, improve more by adding top 20 D than a Top 10 rw.

Yes. Supply and demand of good young defencemen vs skilled wingers is very different...but anyone who brings up the Hall for Larsson trade as a comparable in undermining their own argument. At the time that trade went down, everyone was shocked at what Edmonton gave up...many were concerned if this would set the new bar for acquiring a decent young defender. However...a short time later, there hasn't been a single trade that has followed this example and almost everyone agrees that Edmonton got rinsed. IMO, that trade has proven to the whole league that overpaying to that degree is harmful to your team.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 1:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Juice

I don't agree with the trade value suggested here, but Parayko easily becomes our 2nd best defenceman...and does so while being on a team friendly contract. Those two things alone make him a very attractive target.

Is he better than Gardiner? Defensively sure, but Parayko isn't really an offensive stalwart. I'm not as high on him as others are, mainly because I think all defenceman are terrible overvalued right now. I'd say he's twice as good as someone like Pesce but still more of secondary guy than a top flight #1 d. The main hang up for me is that I don't see any move for a defenceman really helping in the long term. Sure this year is a very good chance to go for it, but its still so early in this core's window that perhaps moving major pieces for an immediate upgrade could be more harmful than beneficial. What if Parayko doesn't work well with the system here? Is he an elite enough player to be great in any system? I am not sure. Would he be as good taking on heavier minutes since he won't have Pietrangelo sheltering him a little? There are so many variables that no one on here seems to think about.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

No he isn’t, this is just ridiculous. Parayko is solid and a 1 for 1 with nylander would be fair. Adding a 1st and a 4th (2019... ouch) is beyond ridiculous. Please tell me a player that is a 1st and a 4th better than nylander ( thinking that is laine type of value) and tell me that is a fair trade for a top 4 rhd....
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:07 p.m.
Is he better than Gardiner? Defensively sure, but Parayko isn't really an offensive stalwart. I'm not as high on him as others are, mainly because I think all defenceman are terrible overvalued right now. I'd say he's twice as good as someone like Pesce but still more of secondary guy than a top flight #1 d. The main hang up for me is that I don't see any move for a defenceman really helping in the long term. Sure this year is a very good chance to go for it, but its still so early in this core's window that perhaps moving major pieces for an immediate upgrade could be more harmful than beneficial. What if Parayko doesn't work well with the system here? Is he an elite enough player to be great in any system? I am not sure. Would he be as good taking on heavier minutes since he won't have Pietrangelo sheltering him a little? There are so many variables that no one on here seems to think about.

It's opinion....but yes, I'd say he's 100% better than Gardiner. He's 25, 6'6 and logs 22+ min a night. I'd guess if you polled most people on this site almost all would take Parayko over Gardiner. Watching him and Rielly paired together on team North American a couple years ago made me a bit gaga to get him.

If for whatever reason the Blues were to make him available, it's a guy the Leafs absoultely need to inquire on
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:37 p.m.
Banned
It's opinion....but yes, I'd say he's 100% better than Gardiner. He's 25, 6'6 and logs 22+ min a night. I'd guess if you polled most people on this site almost all would take Parayko over Gardiner. Watching him and Rielly paired together on team North American a couple years ago made me a bit gaga to get him.

If for whatever reason the Blues were to make him available, it's a guy the Leafs absoultely need to inquire on

Obviously I'd prefer him over Gardiner as well, I'm not very high on Gardiner. That being said, the cost of acquiring Parayko makes him a immediate non option. It would cost wayyyyy too much.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:59 p.m.
LobbysOilers
Quoting: Jamiepo
No he isn’t, this is just ridiculous. Parayko is solid and a 1 for 1 with nylander would be fair. Adding a 1st and a 4th (2019... ouch) is beyond ridiculous. Please tell me a player that is a 1st and a 4th better than nylander ( thinking that is laine type of value) and tell me that is a fair trade for a top 4 rhd....

why would you trade a top 2 RHD for a first line winger? whats harder to get? if you think parayko is a top 4 dman then you're out to lunch, easily the best defender on st louis and theyd trade him 1 for 1 for a winger who wouldnt even be their 2nd best forward (far behind tarasenko and oreilly)?
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:19 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: Jamiepo

Nylander isn't worth parayko. Sorry, leafs fans are just getting crazy
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:22 p.m.
Nylander isn't worth parayko. Sorry, leafs fans are just getting crazy

This is your opinion, not a fact. This past offseason I had several conversations with St. Louis fans who thought a Nylander-Parayko based deal was pretty close....so you saying it's 'crazy' is...well...crazy IMO.

It's possible that the $6.9m AAV makes the swap less attractive now from a St. Louis point of view, but the concept in general is not absurd
Dec. 6, 2018 at 4:34 p.m.
#LeafsFever
I guess if they want to full on tank and get better odds of the 1st overall, trading parayko expedites that....mind you adding Nylander doesn't

I think when you're one of the top teams and your first round picks are possibly going to be 20th overall or worse...it makes parting with the picks easier to swallow if you think you're adding a significant piece. Now, I don't think the trade value is right here...but I don't have problems with the leafs parting with a few high picks to increase the odds of winning a cup.

Yes. Supply and demand of good young defencemen vs skilled wingers is very different...but anyone who brings up the Hall for Larsson trade as a comparable in undermining their own argument. At the time that trade went down, everyone was shocked at what Edmonton gave up...many were concerned if this would set the new bar for acquiring a decent young defender. However...a short time later, there hasn't been a single trade that has followed this example and almost everyone agrees that Edmonton got rinsed. IMO, that trade has proven to the whole league that overpaying to that degree is harmful to your team.

Like I said, Nylander, now on a reasonable contract with good term, is fair value for Parayko. As for the debate over trading 1st rounders, perhaps it's more of a question of what is available when it comes to Toronto's turn to draft, or perhaps trade the pick instead. The problem is these deep drafts. 2019 is shaping up to be deep, as is 2020. So perhaps the Leafs using future 1st (maybe 2021?) as a leverage for trading, who knows. But considering the success they've had so far with moulding 1st rounder since the fall of the Brian Burke era, I would imagine drafting in the 1st round is extremely important to them. If the Leafs wanted Parayko bad enough, I am sure there would be other ways to work out a deal.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll