Forums/Armchair-GM

Connor Brown is perfect winger for McDavid - also Timmo Thomaskinen

Created by: SammyT_51
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 13, 2018
Published: Dec. 13, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Add non-1st round picks to keep the value in place. I would say that 2nd from Toronto to that package.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
2$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
2$800,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,333,333
1$950,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
EDM
    JEE
    MIN
      Pulju
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the EDM
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$83,000,000$69,766,999$0$782,500$13,233,001
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
      $8,500,000$8,500,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 6
      $12,500,000$12,500,000
      C
      UFA - 7
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $808,333$808,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      LW, C
      UFA - 2
      $950,000$950,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $675,000$675,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $950,000$950,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
      RW
      RFA - 2
      $3,100,000$3,100,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,150,000$1,150,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $1,950,000$1,950,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $894,167$894,167
      RD
      RFA - 4
      $3,200,000$3,200,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $4,167,000$4,167,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $3,333,333$3,333,333
      G
      UFA - 3
      $1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $800,000$800,000
      LW, C
      UFA - 2
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,900,000$1,900,000
      RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:02 p.m.
      Quoting: LoganOllivier
      This is just silly. Edmonton isn't a good team and they are on a streak right now that doesn't look sustainable. Their differentials on scoring chances are still very much in the negative, meaning they are giving up way more chances than they are getting. Their goalies have been playing better and they are playing a better defensive game but its cost them in their chance generation. Eventually the depth guys who have historically struggled to produce will continue to struggle and then its going to be a lot of 4-3 losses where McDavid has 3 points and the rest of the team manages to lay an egg. They need depth so bad, especially on the wings, they really should be targetting teams with great depth and trying to get guys who could produce if given a bigger role than they have on their current team. Guys like Brown are the exact type of player you should be wanting. Guys who are stuck playing bottom 6 minutes but have shown the ability to do more if given a chance.

they can get guys like that without giving up Larsson.
      Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:03 p.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
      If you look at numbers in a vacuum and don't look at who they are playing, yea thats a great way to do things.

Zaitzev's underlying numbers are helped because matthews, tavares, marner, nylander, marleau etc have great puck possession numbers and anderson has played great this year.

larsson is on a bad team, of course posession numbers, corsi etc will be worse.

Its like some bat signal comes up everytime there is a leafs trade to sign the praises of guys.

Then eventually carrick gets dealt for a 7th, leivo for a career minor leaguer, nielsen for a career minor leaguer. look at leafs posts from over the summer, all these guys were in trades for doughty etc.

reality checks eventually come.

So Brown and Zaitsev are the same as Carrick and Leivo?
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:04 p.m.
      Lets Go Blues
      Brown would very likely play on the top line in Edmonton, and on the flip side, I am not sure any wingers in Edmonton could even make the Leafs roster. This is the problem with Edmonton, you have no depth, this will get you depth without costing you much of a downgrade on the blue line. Its a smart hockey move that benefits both teams. Or you can keep saying its spare parts and watch your team try to make guys like Rattie become NHLers when they are AHLers at best. Why wouldn't you want to move Larsson and get a winger who could blossom playing important minutes he'll never get in TO and also get a defenceman who isn't much of a drop off from Larsson.

I've gotta say, every team has a guy like Connor Brown. He's not special. EDM has Toby Rieder, they've posted almost exactly the same 5v5 production over the past 3 seasons. EDM also has Caggiula, a hard worker that has produced when he's put with McDavid. And right now, they're playing Chiasson on the top line and he has 12 goals in 25 games. I agree that EDM needs wingers, but they should be looking to get someone that can produce on his own line. They're not going to trade Larsson (he plays big minutes and now Klefbom is out) for a guy that McDavid played with in juniors.
      Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:05 p.m.
      Banned
      they can get guys like that without giving up Larsson.

How?

How does Edmonton acquire Brown in a way that would make the Leafs want to pull the trigger on the move?
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:05 p.m.
      So Brown and Zaitsev are the same as Carrick and Leivo?

they are not. but it is a demonstration of how leafs fans hilariously overvalue their players
      Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:07 p.m.
      How?

How does Edmonton acquire Brown in a way that would make the Leafs want to pull the trigger on the move?

connor brown is not special. there are 2-3 connor browns on most teams. guys that score 15-20 goals when playing with superstars or in an outlier year and 10-12 goals when playing as a bottom 6 guy or with their normal shooting percentage.
      Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:08 p.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: A_K
      I've gotta say, every team has a guy like Connor Brown. He's not special. EDM has Toby Rieder, they've posted almost exactly the same 5v5 production over the past 3 seasons. EDM also has Caggiula, a hard worker that has produced when he's put with McDavid. And right now, they're playing Chiasson on the top line and he has 12 goals in 25 games. I agree that EDM needs wingers, but they should be looking to get someone that can produce on his own line. They're not going to trade Larsson (he plays big minutes and now Klefbom is out) for a guy that McDavid played with in juniors.

I don't think every team has a player like Brown. Edmonton has wingers who can produce with McDavid (Anyone can produce with him, he's the best player in the world), and what do they do when they aren't on his wing? Almost across the board, they do nothing. I think Brown playing with RNH would help improve the 2nd line by a fair amount. Edmonton has an awesome top line, a not terrible 2nd line and then two lines that wouldn't make some teams. Deep teams like TO and Tampa would have no place for half of the forwards in Edmonton.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:09 p.m.
      Leafs fan: Connor Brown is great and is a top 6 guy

Leafs Management: We need to give John Tavares, Patrick Marleau and William Nylander 24 million combined per year
      Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:11 p.m.
      Banned
      connor brown is not special. there are 2-3 connor browns on most teams. guys that score 15-20 goals when playing with superstars or in an outlier year and 10-12 goals when playing as a bottom 6 guy or with their normal shooting percentage.

So a 3rd liner on a deep team is the same as a 3rd liner on a team that has huge depth issues? That is what we are saying here? I'm done with this conversation its just silly now. William Karlsson was a depth guy in Columbus but has been much better in Vegas (I know his scoring is way down but he's still putting up decent points), all 3rd liners aren't just 3rd liners. This is just another pointless conversation where you are going to say that whatever player we are talking about is completely overrated because of his jersey.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:11 p.m.
      Banned
      Leafs fan: Connor Brown is great and is a top 6 guy

Leafs Management: We need to give John Tavares, Patrick Marleau and William Nylander 24 million combined per year

What is the point of that statement?
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:15 p.m.
      Lets Go Blues
      I don't think every team has a player like Brown. Edmonton has wingers who can produce with McDavid (Anyone can produce with him, he's the best player in the world), and what do they do when they aren't on his wing? Almost across the board, they do nothing. I think Brown playing with RNH would help improve the 2nd line by a fair amount. Edmonton has an awesome top line, a not terrible 2nd line and then two lines that wouldn't make some teams. Deep teams like TO and Tampa would have no place for half of the forwards in Edmonton.

What makes Brown special? What qualities does he have that will drive the 2nd line in EDM? What makes him worthwhile to trade their 2nd-best defenseman? I've looked at his transition play (https://public.tableau.com/profile/christopher.turtoro#!/vizhome/2-yearA3ZPlayerComps/ComparisonDashboard). I looked at his 5v5 production (http://corsica.hockey/). I've seen how his on-ice metrics compare other wingers (https://public.tableau.com/profile/bill.comeau#!/vizhome/SkaterComparisonToolv2/Dashboard1) I've watched plenty of Leafs games to see what he does. He's nothing special, and if you think he is, then keep him on the Leafs because no other teams are giving up anything more than a middling draft pick for him.
      Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:15 p.m.
      So a 3rd liner on a deep team is the same as a 3rd liner on a team that has huge depth issues? That is what we are saying here? I'm done with this conversation its just silly now. William Karlsson was a depth guy in Columbus but has been much better in Vegas (I know his scoring is way down but he's still putting up decent points), all 3rd liners aren't just 3rd liners. This is just another pointless conversation where you are going to say that whatever player we are talking about is completely overrated because of his jersey.

Connor Brown had 20 goals as a 21/22 year old rookie playing all 82 games getting 16 mins per game, getting pp time and shooting 14.4 percent. Since, he hasn't shot above 11.8 percent and doesn't get much power play time and his goal totals decrease (he has THREE this year).

Zemgus Girgensons had 15 goals as a 20 year old rookie playing only 61 games for buffalo. but he played 19 minutes a game including power play time and shot 13 percent. Since, his pp time is gone, his time on ice is down and his shooting percentage is down and hes a 7 goals a year guy.

there are stories like this on every team. if you play with the right guys, keep your stick down and go on a bit of a streak you are going to score a bit, but when things settle in, you are a good NHL player, but not exactly unique or special.
      Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:16 p.m.
      What is the point of that statement?

that leafs management is much more level headed than their fan base
      Lenny7 and CzechingOut liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:20 p.m.
      Banned
      What makes Brown special? What qualities does he have that will drive the 2nd line in EDM? What makes him worthwhile to trade their 2nd-best defenseman? I've looked at his transition play (https://public.tableau.com/profile/christopher.turtoro#!/vizhome/2-yearA3ZPlayerComps/ComparisonDashboard). I looked at his 5v5 production (http://corsica.hockey/). I've seen how his on-ice metrics compare other wingers (https://public.tableau.com/profile/bill.comeau#!/vizhome/SkaterComparisonToolv2/Dashboard1) I've watched plenty of Leafs games to see what he does. He's nothing special, and if you think he is, then keep him on the Leafs because no other teams are giving up anything more than a middling draft pick for him.

I see Brown as a really hard worker who plays responsible minutes and can score if given the chance. I don't think he's an elite player by any stretch, but I have seen several Oiler games and their wingers are not very good, Brown would help them on the PK and also provide some much needed speed to a relatively slow lineup.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:24 p.m.
      Banned
      that leafs management is much more level headed than their fan base

Without a doubt that is true. I couldn't agree more. I am also not one of the guys saying Brown is an elite player worth a super big haul, he isn't. At least not now in his current role he plays with TO. I do think he could be a solid top 6 player who pitches in 20+ goals and 40 points a season. I am more arguing this based on two other things, 1) Larsson really isn't that good, he's a middle pair defenceman who can play bigger minutes if there isn't someone better and 2) Edmonton's wingers are really not good and Brown would be an upgrade on that team.

Brown is a depth guy and a good one to have around, but I do think Leafs Management knows he's likely going to be traded in the off season. They'll need his cap space for Johnsson or Kapanen.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:25 p.m.
      Without a doubt that is true. I couldn't agree more. I am also not one of the guys saying Brown is an elite player worth a super big haul, he isn't. At least not now in his current role he plays with TO. I do think he could be a solid top 6 player who pitches in 20+ goals and 40 points a season. I am more arguing this based on two other things, 1) Larsson really isn't that good, he's a middle pair defenceman who can play bigger minutes if there isn't someone better and 2) Edmonton's wingers are really not good and Brown would be an upgrade on that team.

Brown is a depth guy and a good one to have around, but I do think Leafs Management knows he's likely going to be traded in the off season. They'll need his cap space for Johnsson or Kapanen.

Youre actually such a homer brown is on the fourth line producing nothing making good money that the leafs probably dont want to pay youd get a 3rd at most for him
      Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:27 p.m.
      Lets Go Blues
      I see Brown as a really hard worker who plays responsible minutes and can score if given the chance. I don't think he's an elite player by any stretch, but I have seen several Oiler games and their wingers are not very good, Brown would help them on the PK and also provide some much needed speed to a relatively slow lineup.

You're still not telling me why he's more inclined to be an impact player than Rieder, Caggiula, Chiasson. They're all hard workers. They all can kill penalties. And they all make less than Brown.

More importantly, you're not convincing me that the Oil would be better if they traded Larsson for a winger and a downgrade. Would you trade Zaitsev for Andy MacDonald and Michael Raffl? Raffl scored 20 goals before and AMac isn't that big of a downgrade from Zaits.
      Dylan1995 and Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:28 p.m.
      You're still not telling me why he's more inclined to be an impact player than Rieder, Caggiula, Chiasson. They're all hard workers. They all can kill penalties. And they all make less than Brown.

More importantly, you're not convincing me that the Oil would be better if they traded Larsson for a winger and a downgrade. Would you trade Zaitsev for Andy MacDonald and Michael Raffl? Raffl scored 20 goals before and AMac isn't that big of a downgrade from Zaits.

Lmao this !
      Lenny7 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:32 p.m.
      Lenny7
      This is just silly. Edmonton isn't a good team and they are on a streak right now that doesn't look sustainable. Their differentials on scoring chances are still very much in the negative, meaning they are giving up way more chances than they are getting. Their goalies have been playing better and they are playing a better defensive game but its cost them in their chance generation. Eventually the depth guys who have historically struggled to produce will continue to struggle and then its going to be a lot of 4-3 losses where McDavid has 3 points and the rest of the team manages to lay an egg. They need depth so bad, especially on the wings, they really should be targetting teams with great depth and trying to get guys who could produce if given a bigger role than they have on their current team. Guys like Brown are the exact type of player you should be wanting. Guys who are stuck playing bottom 6 minutes but have shown the ability to do more if given a chance.

@littlejerryseinfeld is completely right.

I feel like fans of Canadian teams, especially the Leafs and Habs, get this excessive coverage on all of their players, whether they are the star guys like the Tavares/Marner/Matthews of the world, or the 25 year old depth prospects playing 3rd line minutes in the AHL, which is why the Brown's/Leivo's/Carricks/Nielsen's/Lehkonen's/Scherbak's/etc. end up being extremely overvalued on here by the fans of those teams, and then get moved for peanuts. Tell me more about how Semyon Der-Arguchintsev is going to be the next GOAT! https://www.tsn.ca/talent/a-look-at-the-maple-leafs-2018-draft-class-1.1121509 Read this Leafs draft fluff piece. It reads as if every single guy that was drafted last year has top 6 fwd/top 4 d potential. Common!

I'm not sitting here saying that Connor Brown isn't a good hockey player, or that Zaitsev isn't a good hockey player either. And you're not wrong in saying that the Oilers depth could stand to be improved. But taking $2.5 million extra for a guy that, no matter how you want to clean him up, hasn't scored more than 39 pts in his career, and a so/so dman on a very long contract isn't how you do it.
      Dylan1995 and A_K liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:40 p.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: Dylan1995
      Youre actually such a homer brown is on the fourth line producing nothing making good money that the leafs probably dont want to pay youd get a 3rd at most for him

Maybe, but he's still better than pretty much all the wingers in Edmonton. I'm arguing that Zaitsev and Larsson are pretty close to the same player and adding Brown to the trade gives Edmonton value, they get an upgrade on the wing and the defensive swing is almost a wash. Adding a 2nd is a tad much but if Edmonton argues it's needed to take on the extra cap hit then I guess that's okay. If you think you are going to get a top line winger, a pick and a defenseman for Larsson you are very much mistaken. Remember the last time Larsson was traded for a top line winger?
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:41 p.m.
      Lenny7
      How?

Chia: "Hey, you guys are looking to free up some cap space next year eh? How about we take Brown for a meh prospect?"
      Dubas: "No thanks!"
      Chia: "Cool, thanks for the talk".
      Chia: Claims similar player who is cheaper off of waivers, moves on with his life.
      Dylan1995 and CzechingOut liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:41 p.m.
      Banned

Zaitsev isn't a terrible defenceman
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
      Lenny7
      Maybe, but he's still better than pretty much all the wingers in Edmonton. I'm arguing that Zaitsev and Larsson are pretty close to the same player and adding Brown to the trade gives Edmonton value, they get an upgrade on the wing and the defensive swing is almost a wash. Adding a 2nd is a tad much but if Edmonton argues it's needed to take on the extra cap hit then I guess that's okay. If you think you are going to get a top line winger, a pick and a defenseman for Larsson you are very much mistaken. Remember the last time Larsson was traded for a top line winger?

When did anyone ask for a top line winger? Nobody asked for Nylander or Marner.
      Dylan1995 liked this.
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:43 p.m.

How is brown an upgrade though? Like @A_K said we have caggiula an tobi rieder brown at 2.5 producing nothing doesnt help an in reality this will suck to hear but in all aspects of numbers larsson > zaitsev in everything but maybe producing points but zaitsev has what 3 points in 32 fing games lol terrible to say he produces more when Larsson alreasy has more on a team whos not as good so please sit there an keep being a homer when literally five other people are telling you otherwise yes you have an opinion but its wrong hahah
      Dec. 13, 2018 at 1:49 p.m.
      Zaitsev isn't a terrible defenceman

Come on ...

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll