Forums/Armchair-GM

Bringing back a familiar face

Created by: staytru20
Team: 2018-19 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 9, 2019
Published: Jan. 9, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know MoJo is injured, but he was a huge part of the success of the power play when he was here. We've had issues with zone entries on the power play recently, and we need to change something up. Since MoJo is a rental and have had some injuries the past two seasons, he should be relatively cheap in terms of cost.
Trades
WSH
  1. Johansson, Marcus ($2,000,000 retained)
NJD
  1. Burakovsky, André
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (WSH)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$67,855,128$82,500$1,282,500$11,644,872

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LW
UFA - 1
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
UFA - 6
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 4
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 9, 2019 at 11:12 a.m.
I like this
Jan. 9, 2019 at 11:15 a.m.
Deal, (Devils fan).
Jan. 9, 2019 at 12:36 p.m.
Why would the Devils want 1-dimensional Burakovsky? That is not their game at all.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: biglite351
Why would the Devils want 1-dimensional Burakovsky? That is not their game at all.

One dimensional as in he doesn't have a good defensive game? Or one dimensional as an offensive threat?
Jan. 9, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
Quoting: staytru20
One dimensional as in he doesn't have a good defensive game? Or one dimensional as an offensive threat?

If he didn't score for you today... he did NOTHING for you today. (...and he doesn't score enough)
Jan. 9, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
I don't mind trading Burakovsky but not in our division. He's talented but hasn't put it together to date. I'd hate to have him reach his potential in our division.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:09 p.m.
Who adds what?
Burakovsky has more playoff points per game than Johansson.

If MoJo killed penalties, I'd shrug it off. I think the answer to the Caps' power play woes is Tom Wilson on unit one, and then audition different guys on unit two, based on whoever is putting up points quickest.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
Quoting: Eli
Burakovsky has more playoff points per game than Johansson.

If MoJo killed penalties, I'd shrug it off. I think the answer to the Caps' power play woes is Tom Wilson on unit one, and then audition different guys on unit two, based on whoever is putting up points quickest.

You're looking at it at too narrow of a view. You get MoJo for less than Bura, then you have cap room to make another move to improve the PK. At this point, it'd be cheaper to make a scheme change on the PK. I'm not banking on Bura having a great playoff performance this year.

Burakovsky has 38 GP with 9 points this season. MoJo has played 31 games, has been injured, and scored 15 points. You're telling me you wouldn't trade for a better player in MoJo for ~500k less, who scores at almost double the rate that Bura does? Also, you're incorrect, Burakovsky's playoff points per game is .32. MoJo's is .416. MoJo's PPG in the playoffs with the Caps is also .434.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
Counter with:
Brian Boyle C 11-G, 5-A ($2.55M) and Ben Lovejoy RHD playing 17:00 gm ($2.66M) @ 50% retained = $2.6
for Bura without a pick

Reasoning- Mostly want Boyle to get a chance at a cup. Both Devs are UFAs, can help a ateam like Wash get another one. Bura is a RFA who wont be brought bakc for the same $3M is on now.
Bura worked well with MarJo I heard, so I am in favor of having them play together
Eli liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: Smitty426
Counter with:
Brian Boyle C 11-G, 5-A ($2.55M) and Ben Lovejoy RHD playing 17:00 gm ($2.66M) @ 50% retained = $2.6
for Bura without a pick

Reasoning- Mostly want Boyle to get a chance at a cup. Both Devs are UFAs, can help a ateam like Wash get another one. Bura is a RFA who wont be brought bakc for the same $3M is on now.
Bura worked well with MarJo I heard, so I am in favor of having them play together

Honestly love Boyle's game, and he could really help with our horrid face off %. Does Lovejoy kill penalties?
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
Would rather keep Bura and make him a healthy scratch than have MaJo back. He was just as one-dimensional. He never won a board battle, Guys breath or fart in his general direction and he loses the puck. He was only decent as a down-low guy on the PP, and only because Backstrom and Ovi (and in years past Mike Green) could make a trained chimp look good on the PP.

Bura will be traded, but not for over-paid, and often injured MJ90. He's just one of those guys that we all hoped would work out, and didn't and not-shocked him leaving made the team better because it opened up the Top 6 for Vrana, Wilson, even Bura (who's since squandered his chance up there).
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
Who adds what?
You're looking at it at too narrow of a view. You get MoJo for less than Bura, then you have cap room to make another move to improve the PK. At this point, it'd be cheaper to make a scheme change on the PK. I'm not banking on Bura having a great playoff performance this year.

Burakovsky has 38 GP with 9 points this season. MoJo has played 31 games, has been injured, and scored 15 points. You're telling me you wouldn't trade for a better player in MoJo for ~500k less, who scores at almost double the rate that Bura does? Also, you're incorrect, Burakovsky's playoff points per game is .32. MoJo's is .416. MoJo's PPG in the playoffs with the Caps is also .434.

Interesting points. NJ's best affordable PK options are Lovejoy and Coleman. Coleman's faster, with a ton of takeaways and a couple shg. Boyle is average on each special team, specializing in net-front battles.

Otherwise, options proposed by fans of other teams:

Goldobin, with fifteen pts on an elc, plus Sutter (50%) for Burakovsky, Jaskin, and a B prospect like Pilon.

Perlini (who tops out at 17 goals a year, but is slumping), plus Rutta, who can ease Carlson's and Niskanen's minutes, and a 6th, for just Burakovsky. I'm waiting to hear back on adding Kruger for Jaskin.

I think the Caps should try to sign MoJo next summer if cap space develops, but giving up Burakovsky for him now could be an overpayment if they just give all of the cap space to Vrana, and let MoJo walk.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
Quoting: netminder71
Would rather keep Bura and make him a healthy scratch than have MaJo back. He was just as one-dimensional. He never won a board battle, Guys breath or fart in his general direction and he loses the puck. He was only decent as a down-low guy on the PP, and only because Backstrom and Ovi (and in years past Mike Green) could make a trained chimp look good on the PP.

Bura will be traded, but not for over-paid, and often injured MJ90. He's just one of those guys that we all hoped would work out, and didn't and not-shocked him leaving made the team better because it opened up the Top 6 for Vrana, Wilson, even Bura (who's since squandered his chance up there).

Then why has the PP gone 2 for 32+ in this recent stretch of games? Pretty clear that the zone entries haven't been working. Johansson's strength was carrying the puck into the zone on the PP, and he's much stronger on the puck than Burakovsky. Bura comes down the wing, tries to stop on the half-boards, and loses the puck. If you're getting MoJo for less money than Burakovsky costs, who scores at a higher rate in the regular season and the playoffs, and adds value to a struggling PP unit, you'd rather scratch and keep Bura the rest of the year?
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
Who adds what?
Honestly love Boyle's game, and he could really help with our horrid face off %. Does Lovejoy kill penalties?

Yes. Pretty good pk2 guy. Could help out, statistically. Can he switch sides, in the event of a bunch of injuries?

I think that's a decent combination of rentals, but I'd much rather add Coleman for a long term PK improvement, and either of the other two as a rental, even if it means adding a B+ prospect or two.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
Interesting points. NJ's best affordable PK options are Lovejoy and Coleman. Coleman's faster, with a ton of takeaways and a couple shg. Boyle is average on each special team, specializing in net-front battles.

Otherwise, options proposed by fans of other teams:

Goldobin, with fifteen pts on an elc, plus Sutter (50%) for Burakovsky, Jaskin, and a B prospect like Pilon.

Perlini (who tops out at 17 goals a year, but is slumping), plus Rutta, who can ease Carlson's and Niskanen's minutes, and a 6th, for just Burakovsky. I'm waiting to hear back on adding Kruger for Jaskin.

I think the Caps should try to sign MoJo next summer if cap space develops, but giving up Burakovsky for him now could be an overpayment if they just give all of the cap space to Vrana, and let MoJo walk.

Fair enough. Goldobin seems to be the best fit to what GMBM is expecting in a Burakovsky trade.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:50 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
Then why has the PP gone 2 for 32+ in this recent stretch of games? Pretty clear that the zone entries haven't been working. Johansson's strength was carrying the puck into the zone on the PP, and he's much stronger on the puck than Burakovsky. Bura comes down the wing, tries to stop on the half-boards, and loses the puck. If you're getting MoJo for less money than Burakovsky costs, who scores at a higher rate in the regular season and the playoffs, and adds value to a struggling PP unit, you'd rather scratch and keep Bura the rest of the year?

It is a rare rough patch on the PP. Mainly because Kuzy has gone kinda cold and the shot selection has been poor. MJ90 would not be an instant fix on the top PP today. Instant fix...? Start giving Vrana more PP time on the top unit...start going back to Backie on the low goal line and make Kuzy play the right side wall. Convince Carlson to keep a puck in at the point...or maybe put Willy in the Oshie slot spot for a while and start screening goalies instead of trying to beat everyone straight on with the power slappers....Caps PP needs to get goalies moving laterally...then boom. success.
Eli liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Who adds what?

Oshie's off his game, and not pressuring goalies. Wilson needs to be in his spot. Boyd Oshie Vrana Connolly and Niskanen on pp2? Or whoever's got the hot hand. Boyle could also fit on pp2, at center, if Oshie's happy on half wall. Boyle plays the same net front spot as Orpik on PK, and while he's not Orpik, he's bigger, and does okay. Wilson is more effective than him on pp, but he is about even with Oshie.

Still, Boyle's shot differentials are mostly worst on the Devils this year, so don't expect foot speed. He's just very good at taking up space.

Burakovsky was a 0.5p/g 3L last Spring.
netminder71 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!

Also NOT ABOUT THE SALARY CAP...it is about the MJ90 is a bust of a player. Often injured. Often scared off the puck easily. He's terrible at 5-on-5. I'm not comparing him to Bura, because both are miserable puck possessors in my opinion. Both are too weak upper body to win a board battle. Both have had a few seasons of long-term injuries...I'd rather have neither. The Caps will find a home for Bura and don't even need an NHL body in return...get a future Connolly replacement (a decent RW prospect)...and that's it...the Caps don't need Toffoli...Coyle...anyone...

Roll with Ovi - Kuzy - Willy, Vrana - Backie - Oshie, Stevie - Eller - Connolly, Dowd/Walker/Gersich - Boyd - DSP/Jaskin and be done with it....until you cant afford Connolly and let DSP walk.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:56 p.m.
Who adds what?
MJ90 would not be an instant fix on the top PP today. Instant fix...? .......
put Willy in the Oshie slot spot for a while

Yep. Great minds think alike. I just posted the same answer. Vrana makes sense, too, but re-sign him, first.
netminder71 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:59 p.m.
Who adds what?
Also NOT ABOUT THE SALARY CAP...it is about the MJ90 is a bust of a player. Often injured. Often scared off the puck easily. He's terrible at 5-on-5. I'm not comparing him to Bura, because both are miserable puck possessors in my opinion. Both are too weak upper body to win a board battle. Both have had a few seasons of long-term injuries...I'd rather have neither. The Caps will find a home for Bura and don't even need an NHL body in return...get a future Connolly replacement (a decent RW prospect)...and that's it...the Caps don't need Toffoli...Coyle...anyone...

Roll with Ovi - Kuzy - Willy, Vrana - Backie - Oshie, Stevie - Eller - Connolly, Dowd/Walker/Gersich - Boyd - DSP/Jaskin and be done with it....until you cant afford Connolly and let DSP walk.

I think Burakovsky getting his wrist broken by a two hand slash last year has nothing to do with upper body strength. The Caps are one of the best clubs at scouting talented Swedish players, but Caps fans are equally good at running them out of town for being European. Can it.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
I think Burakovsky getting his wrist broken by a two hand slash last year has nothing to do with upper body strength. The Caps are one of the best clubs at scouting talented Swedish players, but Caps fans are equally good at running them out of town for being European. Can it.

I'm not running him out for town for being a Euro...heck I've been an advocate of the Caps' Euro-ness for a long time. What I don't like is saying you're gonna go into an off-season and get healthy, gain 20lbsof muscle and learn to protect the puck and do none of that, in fact stop playing altogether and decide to play to be traded at the lowest value possible. That's what Bura is doing.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:08 p.m.

Quite honestly that what Lovejoy does best. Before last night horror show in Buf the Devs wer #2 in PK. He's not some stud D guy and not how I am selling him!

I know you guys have big bodies in front on PP but Boyle does that very well! Also hes a good PKer.
Coleman has already been suggested in a post here. I don't see Shero doing it. The argument I made in that thread was Bura will not be signed for $3M in Wash. based on this years stats
Boyle is pretty much a utility guy, plug him in and let him work.
staytru20 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
Who adds what?
I'm not running him out for town for being a Euro...heck I've been an advocate of the Caps' Euro-ness for a long time. What I don't like is saying you're gonna go into an off-season and get healthy, gain 20lbsof muscle and learn to protect the puck and do none of that, in fact stop playing altogether and decide to play to be traded at the lowest value possible. That's what Bura is doing.

When Canadians do this after a championship it's called a "Cup hangover.". When they do it after multiple fractures, it's called"playing through pain." I remain optimistic that Burakovsky gets back to form for the playoffs, but of course I'm open to trading him at fair value, to a team that doesn't demand a big hangover/injuy discount.
netminder71 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:18 p.m.
Who adds what?
Edited Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.
Quoting: Smitty426
Quite honestly that what Lovejoy does best.

I know you guys have big bodies in front on PP but Boyle does that very well! Also hes a good PKer.
Coleman has already been suggested in a post here. I don't see Shero doing it. The argument I made in that thread was Bura will not be signed for $3M in Wash. based on this years stats
Boyle is pretty much a utility guy, plug him in and let him work.

Cap goes up 3.5M. Orpik retires for 1M. Jaskin leaves for 1.1M. DSP walks at 1M. Caps have 6.6M for raises to Burakovsky and Vrana, with a 21 player team, before they consider trading Djoos. Sorry if I didn't clear that up, before, but Washington can easily bridge Burakovsky at 4M, bridge Djoos at 1.2M and give Vrana 8 years at 4 to 6M, if he earns it. (Edit: for another 1M, if either earns it, they can let Connolly walk and bring up Walker).

You're still telling me again that you have Washington over a barrel, but Vancouver and Chicago fans are outbidding your offers.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 5:23 p.m.
Cap goes up 3.5M. Orpik retires for 1M. Jaskin leaves for 1.1M. DSP walks at 1M. Caps have 6.6M for raises to Burakovsky and Vrana, with a 21 player team, before they consider trading Djoos. Sorry if I didn't clear that up, before, but Washington can easily bridge Burakovsky at 4M, bridge Djoos at 1.2M and give Vrana 8 years at 4 to 6M, if he earns it. (Edit: for another 1M, if either earns it, they can let Connolly walk and bring up Walker).

You're still telling me again that you have Washington over a barrel, but Vancouver and Chicago fans are outbidding your offers.

Not at all. I 'm saying I don't think Wash signs Bura, plain and simple. You know the player and the team, its my opinion.
I was pointing out the money is a wash based on retention.
Van/Chi go for it. I'm offering two guys who can help a team like yours NOW for a cup, nothing more. That sis what I see as a need for them based on wash fans posting.
We probably wont have them back and in Boyles case I'm hoping he gets to raise the cup.

Quite honestly, the OP suits me better!
Eli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll