Forums/Armchair-GM

Listing the cheaper RHD options

Created by: brenfox31
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 23, 2019
Published: Jan. 23, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Before ya freak: this is simply listing cheap(er) RHD options, not an actual ACGM per say.

-These are each separate options, and in all likeliness only one of these moves would be made. I am simply listing these so people can see the options and the relative costs. The overall idea is to take a RD (all except Muzzin are RHD) for a pick and possibly a prospect. This person would become a Gardiner replacement next season, and all of them have relatively low cap hits so that they can fit. Pesec, Muzzin and Tanev are the true 1st pair options, whereas Jensen and TVR are the "boosted" players who are really designed for a 2-3 role but would work in this lineup. Jensen and TVR could be added ALONGSIDE Gardiner, as the cap "could" work with some tinkering.

-Obviously it's gonna be very hard to resign the guys they need, but all of these options could work- I've tried in other ACGMs. It may take some pay-cuts, short term deals, and even a trade of guys like Brown or Johnsson (upcoming RFA). However, I want to avoid trading guys like Johnsson by taking these cheaper options, rather than guys like Hamilton, Parayko, Pietrangelo, etc. I also do not want to give up Bracco or Liljegren, especially if this person won't fit in the cap (without forcing other trades).

Jensen deal: would likely involve some sort of conditional pick (if he resigns). Holl or Marincin would have to go back the other way for the roster spot, and DET might take them. Reasonably he could cost more than this, but if it's a deadline deal I think they know he isn't going to resign, and will take this offer.

Muzzin deal: The real price would likely be a 1st and Bracco, but this is the preferred option for me. 4th becomes a 3rd if Leafs make the second round (or something like that). This is the approximate cost that has been reported.

TVR deal: Basically the same situation as Jensen, except CAR won't take a dman back. Also worth noting is the fact that they will take less than DET will take for Jensen if none of their other RDs are moved - seeing as he is an extra.

Tanev deal: Risky deal based on this years performance and his injury history, but Tanev is a proven 1RD who would be amazing with Reilly IMO. I simply added it so people understood the cost would likely be a 1st rounder, or someone like C. Brown and a pick. I don't necessarily agree with this move unless he picks up his play.

Pesce is obviously a great option because of Carolina's full roster of RHDs, and his decently underrated play. However, he is the least likely to get moved based on his good contract (nice term with decent pay). That being said, a return of a 1st and a good forward prospect is something that Carolina probably won't pass on. Leafs may even ask for retention, but probably not based on the term. He'd be a great fit and works (cap-wise) for a long time.

My personal favourite option is Pesce if they take the prospect instead of someone like Brown.
Trades
TOR
  1. Jensen, Nick
  2. 2019 6th round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (TOR)
LAK
  1. Engvall, Pierre
  2. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
  3. 2019 4th round pick (TOR)
CAR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (TOR)
VAN
  1. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Engvall
TOR
    Tanev deal #2
    VAN
      Connor Brown
      3rd rounder
      CAR
      1. 2019 6th round pick (DET)
      2. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
      Additional Details:
      Grundstrom or Timashov

1st rounder is actually 2019
      Retained Salary Transactions
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the DAL
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      25$79,500,000$87,448,611$2,550,000$6,250,000-$7,948,611
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
      C
      UFA - 1
      $10,277,778$10,277,778
      RW
      UFA - 6
      $6,250,000$6,250,000
      LW, C
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $863,333$863,333
      RW
      UFA - 1
      LW, C
      UFA - 1
      $675,000$675,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $863,333$863,333
      LD/RD
      UFA - 2
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 6
      $675,000$675,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      RD
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
      $4,025,000$4,025,000
      RD
      UFA - 6
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $787,500$787,500
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $5,300,000$5,300,000
      RW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
      $812,500$812,500
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $650,000$650,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
      $2,300,000$2,300,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $4,050,000$4,050,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $4,450,000$4,450,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:29 p.m.
      Why trade if you are going to have them as scratches and why so many???
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:31 p.m.
      Brendan Fox
      Quoting: Fignn
      Why trade if you are going to have them as scratches and why so many???

READDDDDD GODDAMMIT PEOPLE

None will be scratched. Not all are traded for. Each deal is a separate OPTION for us to choose from.

I hope you're trolling. Please be trolling.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:39 p.m.
      Quoting: brenfox31
      READDDDDD GODDAMMIT PEOPLE

None will be scratched. Not all are traded for. Each deal is a separate OPTION for us to choose from.

I hope you're trolling. Please be trolling.

You were giving reason why you would make he trades lol

Ok I take jensen and Pesce
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:42 p.m.
      Brendan Fox
      Quoting: Fignn
      You were giving reason why you would make he trades lol

Ok I take jensen and Pesce

Ohhhh I missed something in the description lol.

Yeah i'd agree. Those were probably my favourite options. They actually only combine for about 6.5m next season, so it might work for the cap too. Muzzin deal is good too, but his term is only 2 years.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:54 p.m.
      Ohhhh I missed something in the description lol.

Yeah i'd agree. Those were probably my favourite options. They actually only combine for about 6.5m next season, so it might work for the cap too. Muzzin deal is good too, but his term is only 2 years.

Yes you did it needed to be in bold lol. Thats should be able to fit for next year
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:56 p.m.
      Once a Kings Fan Too
      I'd give you five stars but I can't. Tanev doesn't appeal to me due to the injury history, but all of the other options are sensible and the value appears to me to be fair for them. As a Kings fan, I would, of course, insist on Trevor Moore instead of Pierre Engvall.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Leafs have really no cap space if they want to pay all their performances this year, and it really affects next year too. So trading for a Dmen with cap and term seems impractical if only futures are traded. Somehow the Leaf have to trade similar term back in trade.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
      Brendan Fox
      Quoting: palhal
      Leafs have really no cap space if they want to pay all their performances this year, and it really affects next year too. So trading for a Dmen with cap and term seems impractical if only futures are traded. Somehow the Leaf have to trade similar term back in trade.

Again, these are just the options and it would take some other tinkering to make it work long term. These are just the options.

Also, the performance bonus thing you keep bringing up is irrelevant from what I can tell, as noone else uses it. Unless you know something we all don't - and trust me I don't think you do - I think you might be misunderstanding it a little. If not, then I'd have to look into it more when I make 2020 ACGMs.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 7:01 p.m.
      Brendan Fox
      Quoting: OldNYIfan
      I'd give you five stars but I can't. Tanev doesn't appeal to me due to the injury history, but all of the other options are sensible and the value appears to me to be fair for them. As a Kings fan, I would, of course, insist on Trevor Moore instead of Pierre Engvall.

Tanev deal is definitely the least interesting now. At the start of the year these deals were widely reported and I liked the idea. now, not so much - he's had a rough year.

Moore wouldn't be on the table based on the fact Dubas just resigned him, so he and Rosen are safe. Sorry lol.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 7:07 p.m.
      Once a Kings Fan Too
      Tanev deal is definitely the least interesting now. At the start of the year these deals were widely reported and I liked the idea. now, not so much - he's had a rough year.

Moore wouldn't be on the table based on the fact Dubas just resigned him, so he and Rosen are safe. Sorry lol.

Seriously, and not just because of the geographic appeal, I think Blake might want a roster player since (we hope) Toronto's first will be 26-31.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 8:02 p.m.
      Formerly Jamiepo
      I take mayfield in the off season... wait he isn’t there lol. These are all okay ideas. I like pesce the best of all listed. Not thrilled with what we would have to move to both obtain and afford him.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 8:16 p.m.
      I dunno. I see the Canes asking for Nylander or Kapanen for Pesce. I think Tanev makes the most sense. No on Jensen, the Leafs have enough puck movers (Rielly, Dermott, Sandin, Liljegren, Rosen).
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 8:25 p.m.
      Brendan Fox
      Quoting: Jamiepo
      I take mayfield in the off season... wait he isn’t there lol. These are all okay ideas. I like pesce the best of all listed. Not thrilled with what we would have to move to both obtain and afford him.

I missed Mayfield because I don’t think he is gonna get moved. Long term deal, solid cheap dman, and the Isles are somehow contenders. Just can’t see it. I might add him later.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 8:44 p.m.
      Banned
      Not bad on the Jensen deal, Technically he's not on the market. Our beat writer pretty much said that Holland plans on resigning him this summer. So unless he gets a deal he can't refuse he probably wont get moved.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 10:39 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Again, these are just the options and it would take some other tinkering to make it work long term. These are just the options.

Also, the performance bonus thing you keep bringing up is irrelevant from what I can tell, as noone else uses it. Unless you know something we all don't - and trust me I don't think you do - I think you might be misunderstanding it a little. If not, then I'd have to look into it more when I make 2020 ACGMs.

The Leafs performance bonuses bonus and why Horton "has to on the roster this year" has been discussed endlessly on this site. So it's not something "we all don't know", its something you don't know.
      OK, try making a practical route carrying over 2.5m in bonuses and 4,4m Tanev in 2019/20. A high priced forward would have to be traded.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 11:04 p.m.

Here's the thing...it's something that doesn't get discussed much because the nuances of the CBA are convoluted. I get less bothered on here where people ignore it but it's very frustrating when so called experts like Kypreos or Dreger get on the air and completely ignore the issue...likely because they have no idea either.

The situation summarized plainly:

1. If a team places a player on LTIR...all performance bonuses earned that year HAVE to get carried over to next year
      2. This website now shows potential performance bonus for this year as $6.25m. This is the absolute max that could be paid and includes Matthews, Marner, Lindholm, Ozhiganov and now Moore since he was called up. Matthews and Marner are the only ones on pace to earn performance bonuses..which they are likely to max out on for $3.7m. The other 3 aren't close to any performance bonus money....so the key figure is $3.7m
      3. If the Leafs were to place Horton on LTIR, that $3.7 gets paid next year, and is $3.7m of less cap space the leafs will have to work with
      4. Right now the leafs only have about $1.66m in cap space..so they'd be looking at already carrying over $2m in bonuses onto next year's cap. They have Ennis, Gardiner and Johnsson (and Horton) all injurred right now and so...when some of those guys get healthy...2 salaries will move to the Marlies....most likely Gauthier and Moore since they are waiver exempt. Those two guys have a total salary of $1.6m.

So... $1.66m in cap space now...+ $1.6m added in cap space if Moore/Gauthier return to the marlies once Ennis and Johnsson are healthy = $3.26 in cap space. But they need $3.7 in cap space to avoid bonus overages. Maybe they're ok if they only need to push $440k over on to next year's cap...but the main thing is....for every dollar in cap space the leafs add to this year's roster, it eats one dollar away from next year's cap.
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 11:11 p.m.
      Brendan Fox
      Quoting: Juice
      Here's the thing...it's something that doesn't get discussed much because the nuances of the CBA are convoluted. I get less bothered on here where people ignore it but it's very frustrating when so called experts like Kypreos or Dreger get on the air and completely ignore the issue...likely because they have no idea either.

The situation summarized plainly:

1. If a team places a player on LTIR...all performance bonuses earned that year HAVE to get carried over to next year
      2. This website now shows potential performance bonus for this year as $6.25m. This is the absolute max that could be paid and includes Matthews, Marner, Lindholm, Ozhiganov and now Moore since he was called up. Matthews and Marner are the only ones on pace to earn performance bonuses..which they are likely to max out on for $3.7m. The other 3 aren't close to any performance bonus money....so the key figure is $3.7m
      3. If the Leafs were to place Horton on LTIR, that $3.7 gets paid next year, and is $3.7m of less cap space the leafs will have to work with
      4. Right now the leafs only have about $1.66m in cap space..so they'd be looking at already carrying over $2m in bonuses onto next year's cap. They have Ennis, Gardiner and Johnsson (and Horton) all injurred right now and so...when some of those guys get healthy...2 salaries will move to the Marlies....most likely Gauthier and Moore since they are waiver exempt. Those two guys have a total salary of $1.6m.

So... $1.66m in cap space now...+ $1.6m added in cap space if Moore/Gauthier return to the marlies once Ennis and Johnsson are healthy = $3.26 in cap space. But they need $3.7 in cap space to avoid bonus overages. Maybe they're ok if they only need to push $440k over on to next year's cap...but the main thing is....for every dollar in cap space the leafs add to this year's roster, it eats one dollar away from next year's cap.

Thank you for actually explaining it. Makes sense, and the numbers seem much more accurate.

That being said, I think moves like this could still be an option depending on other moves, I just liked the idea of seeing the theoretical options, even if the Cap makes it hard.

Thanks again!
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 11:14 p.m.
      Brendan Fox
      Quoting: palhal
      The Leafs performance bonuses bonus and why Horton "has to on the roster this year" has been discussed endlessly on this site. So it's not something "we all don't know", its something you don't know.
      OK, try making a practical route carrying over 2.5m in bonuses and 4,4m Tanev in 2019/20. A high priced forward would have to be traded.

First off, I am 100% not the only one who didn’t understand what you were talking about, and I see ACGMs without the bonuses in all of the time.

I see how this makes it a lot harder, but as I said, these are just the potential options. How to make them work depends on other moves, but these are the basis options to acquire a good RHD
      Jan. 23, 2019 at 11:20 p.m.
      Thank you for actually explaining it. Makes sense, and the numbers seem much more accurate. .

That being said, I think moves like this could still be an option depending on other moves, I just liked the idea of seeing the theoretical options, even if the Cap makes it hard.

Thanks again!

No problem....I tried to make an ACGM team here that adds depth rentals at the deadline while actually giving us enough space to pay bonuses this year. Trades might be off but wanted to see if it could be done: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/989953

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll