SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

P.K. Subban and TV

Should P. K. be hosting TV shows and Running Production Companies During the NHL Season?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 26, 2019 at 6:03 p.m.
I can't remember a professional athlete starting a production company and/or hosting a TV show during the season or even while he's still playing before retiring. I find his selfishness and ego to be antithetical to the team-first mentality that almost all NHL players possess. There have been way bigger stars than him and none were trying to build their personal brand over the success of the team. It's not a coincidence that his offensive numbers are down this year. as well. His focus is clearly away from the ice. I also blame NBC for facilitating Subban's ventures into TV, but they're just doing what all the networks do. I hope everyone now sees why Bergevin traded Subban for Weber. Subban was too selfish and he was toxic in the locker room. He clearly wants to be in Hollywood more than Nashville.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 12:27 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I can't remember a professional athlete starting a production company and/or hosting a TV show during the season or even while he's still playing before retiring.

Lebron James
Jan. 28, 2019 at 3:17 a.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
Lebron James

First off, LeBron is arguably the most dominant athlete of all time...easily top 5 by ant objective standard. P.K is not even the best defenseman on his own team! Many would rank him 3rd or 4th best on Nashville. Secondly, Basketball is a much more star-driven sport. Star players typically play almost all 48 mins and one great player (i.e. LeBron) can make a team highly successful. I've never heard a hockey player use the word "I" as often as P.K. NHL players use pronouns like "We" or "Us". He's obviously immensely talented but I don't see him as a team player whatsoever. Being a "Me First" player has to have a detrimental impact on his team. Clearly he thinks he's the Odell Beckham Jr. of the NHL. Mark Bergevin saw his ego manifesting itself in MTL and that's why the traded him for 50 cents on the dollar.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 5:49 a.m.
Edited Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:30 a.m.
First off, LeBron is arguably the most dominant athlete of all time...easily top 5 by ant objective standard. P.K is not even the best defenseman on his own team! Many would rank him 3rd or 4th best on Nashville. Secondly, Basketball is a much more star-driven sport. Star players typically play almost all 48 mins and one great player (i.e. LeBron) can make a team highly successful.

Not sure what this has to do with whether or not someone can host a TV show. Weirdly enough, PK has more points in the NHL than David Letterman, Jay Leno, and Johnny Carson combined.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 6:01 a.m.
I've never heard a hockey player use the word "I" as often as P.K. NHL players use pronouns like "We" or "Us". He's obviously immensely talented but I don't see him as a team player whatsoever. Being a "Me First" player has to have a detrimental impact on his team. Clearly he thinks he's the Odell Beckham Jr. of the NHL.

You started the first sentence referring to yourself ("I've"). As an online community "we're" pretty disappointed in how selfish you're being in your analysis. It's not a very good reflection on "us" and "our" goal of having meaningful discussion about the sport "we" love so much.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 6:17 a.m.
Mark Bergevin saw his ego manifesting itself in MTL and that's why the traded him for 50 cents on the dollar.

Since then the Predators have been perennial serious Stanley Cup contenders. Shea Weber missed over a year with injury.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 10:55 a.m.
Below Market Value
I can't remember a professional athlete starting a production company and/or hosting a TV show during the season or even while he's still playing before retiring. I find his selfishness and ego to be antithetical to the team-first mentality that almost all NHL players possess. There have been way bigger stars than him and none were trying to build their personal brand over the success of the team. It's not a coincidence that his offensive numbers are down this year. as well. His focus is clearly away from the ice. I also blame NBC for facilitating Subban's ventures into TV, but they're just doing what all the networks do. I hope everyone now sees why Bergevin traded Subban for Weber. Subban was too selfish and he was toxic in the locker room. He clearly wants to be in Hollywood more than Nashville.

Why do you assume he doesn't care about his team's success? Why are the two mutually exclusive? His underlying numbers would say that the team plays better when he's on the ice, moreso than any other Nashville defenseman other than Matt Irwin. Nashville is currently on a 100 point pace, so his attitude clearly isn't as big of a detriment as you make it out to be. Also, it's interesting how his "me-first" attitude has led to his individual numbers to decrease.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 12:41 p.m.
Since then the Predators have been perennial serious Stanley Cup contenders. Shea Weber missed over a year with injury.

Exactly! The trade was a huge loss for MTL and no sane GM would've ever traded Subban for Weber in a million years unless there was something else going on behind the scenes.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 12:45 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Why do you assume he doesn't care about his team's success? Why are the two mutually exclusive? His underlying numbers would say that the team plays better when he's on the ice, moreso than any other Nashville defenseman other than Matt Irwin. Nashville is currently on a 100 point pace, so his attitude clearly isn't as big of a detriment as you make it out to be. Also, it's interesting how his "me-first" attitude has led to his individual numbers to decrease.

I'm not saying that he doesn't care about team success. I'm just saying that he cares more about individual success. You don't see Josi, Ellis, and Eckholm self-promoting away from the ice. I have nothing against P.K. as a player...I just think he's acting selfishly by trying to go "Hollywood" during the season. He should be focused 100% on the team.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
Not sure what this has to do with whether or not someone can host a TV show. Weirdly enough, PK has more points in the NHL than David Letterman, Jay Leno, and Johnny Carson combined.

You just don't see other star players doing the things he's doing. Why? Certainly there have been other star players who were just as marketable. I also have absolutely no issues w/ the TV commercials for Bridgestone. Endorsements are a huge part of growing the fan base, but TV shows and production companies are another story altogether. Also, why is he so intent on telling everyone he's Lindsay Vonn's bf? Nobody knows anything about Sid's or Ovi's private lives unless they make it their mission to find out.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
You started the first sentence referring to yourself ("I've"). As an online community "we're" pretty disappointed in how selfish you're being in your analysis. It's not a very good reflection on "us" and "our" goal of having meaningful discussion about the sport "we" love so much.

I don't understand why you don't want people to share their thoughts here just b/c you disagree. I love P.K. as a player but I don't like him as a celebrity wannabe. I'm entitled to voice my opinions here and anywhere else as long as I follow the rules of the site.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.
Exactly! The trade was a huge loss for MTL and no sane GM would've ever traded Subban for Weber in a million years unless there was something else going on behind the scenes.

Your arguments seem pretty blatantly self-contradictory.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 1:42 p.m.
You just don't see other star players doing the things he's doing. Why? Certainly there have been other star players who were just as marketable. I also have absolutely no issues w/ the TV commercials for Bridgestone. Endorsements are a huge part of growing the fan base, but TV shows and production companies are another story altogether. Also, why is he so intent on telling everyone he's Lindsay Vonn's bf? Nobody knows anything about Sid's or Ovi's private lives unless they make it their mission to find out.

1) I just gave you an example above of a star player who is doing the things he's doing.
2) If you don't care about who he's dating then my suggestion would be to simply not pay attention to it. You're mention of it is the first time it's been brought to my attention, quite ironically.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
I don't understand why you don't want people to share their thoughts here just b/c you disagree. I love P.K. as a player but I don't like him as a celebrity wannabe. I'm entitled to voice my opinions here and anywhere else as long as I follow the rules of the site.

My comment was meant to be sarcastic (I thought pretty obviously). Thankfully, you've just highlighted it with your own hypocrisy: "I don't understand why you don't want P.K. to host a TV show just b/c you disagree. He's entitled to do other activities as long as he follows the rules of the league."
Jan. 28, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
Your arguments seem pretty blatantly self-contradictory.

Actually 5 people agree w/ me so I guess my argument,emts make sense to most people. Here's a summary for your edification: P.K is a star Defenseman. He's immensely talented. He's very selfish and egotistical. He's seems more interested in growing his brand than being a good teammate. There it is. Plain and Simple.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 3:06 p.m.
My comment was meant to be sarcastic (I thought pretty obviously). Thankfully, you've just highlighted it with your own hypocrisy: "I don't understand why you don't want P.K. to host a TV show just b/c you disagree. He's entitled to do other activities as long as he follows the rules of the league."

I never said he's not entitled to host a show. I said he's selfish and egotistical for trying to be the most famous hockey player rather than the best hockey player. That's not how things work in the NHL. Maybe in the NFL that's how things go. NHL hockey has always been centered around a team dynamic. When was the last time you heard Sid answer an interview question w/ the word "I" or "Me"? Team first, Sid Second. P.K. first, team second.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.
Edited Jan. 28, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
Here's a summary for your edification: P.K is a star Defenseman. He's immensely talented. He's very selfish and egotistical. He's seems more interested in growing his brand than being a good teammate. There it is. Plain and Simple.

I'm not sure you fully grasp what a "summary" is.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 3:22 p.m.
I never said he's not entitled to host a show. I said he's selfish and egotistical for trying to be the most famous hockey player rather than the best hockey player. That's not how things work in the NHL. Maybe in the NFL that's how things go. NHL hockey has always been centered around a team dynamic. When was the last time you heard Sid answer an interview question w/ the word "I" or "Me"? Team first, Sid Second. P.K. first, team second.

"It is so important to me to have my time away from hockey. Obviously, hockey is my passion; I love it. But definitely for me, time away from the rink and time when my mind isn't thinking about hockey is important." (Sidney Crosby)
Jan. 28, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Actually 5 people agree w/ me so I guess my argument,emts make sense to most people.

Technically 5 people voted no to your question. For all we know they could have their own reasons. However, since we started this discussion thread more people have voted yes. So maybe that's evidence that your arguments really aren't all that sound or convincing afterall.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.
Below Market Value

Jesus you sound like every single white-haired hockey personality. There's not a single way for things to happen in the league, and it's not up to people like you to determine how players should and should not act. Fans have been wanting players to showcase their personalities more, but now someone actually does something different and outside the norm and now we're all like, "Oh no not like that". Honestly, who cares? I find it refreshing that a player is doing something different and isn't being so vanilla like every other player in the league.
Bflo_Soldier liked this.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
Jesus you sound like every single white-haired hockey personality. There's not a single way for things to happen in the league, and it's not up to people like you to determine how players should and should not act. Fans have been wanting players to showcase their personalities more, but now someone actually does something different and outside the norm and now we're all like, "Oh no not like that". Honestly, who cares? I find it refreshing that a player is doing something different and isn't being so vanilla like every other player in the league.

Maybe that's how they do things in highly successful sports leagues...
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:04 p.m.
PK is a big boy he can make decisions for himself
Jan. 29, 2019 at 2:33 a.m.
Quoting: moli92
PK is a big boy he can make decisions for himself

I'm not saying he's not entitled to do what he wants. I'm saying, are his off-ice activities in the best interest of the team? And if not, do they have the potential to be a distraction for him or the team. I think one can make a pretty sound argument that his feud w/ MTL coaches and management was, indeed a distraction and not in the best interest of the team when he was in. I have to wonder why some of the other star players don't engage in self-promotion. I don't see how his off-ice ventures benefit the TEAM.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 2:36 a.m.

HAHAHA! you sound like the media! You can't win an argument w/ logic so you attack me personally!
Jan. 29, 2019 at 2:38 a.m.

Why can't we just agree to disagree on this one.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit