Forums/Armchair-GM

Marner contract will be identical to Stones

Created by: DocArin0
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 25, 2019
Published: Feb. 25, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Stone reported has come to an agreement with VGK for 9.5m x 8. I expect Marner to use him as an identical contract plus 7-10% for the state tax Vegas gives
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$10,800,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$81,000,000$72,634,699$0$0$8,365,301
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,800,000$10,800,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 25, 2019 at 6:43 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Take off 3 years and that looks about right. Maybe they can get him at 6 for that
Feb. 25, 2019 at 6:46 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Dont forget how much better than marner stone is
Feb. 25, 2019 at 6:48 p.m.
stanthemanb123
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan

Marner has like 10 more points then stone
Feb. 25, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan

Marner's stones should not enter into contact negotiations
Feb. 25, 2019 at 7:15 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: Owentheguy
Marner has like 10 more points then stone

He's much worse defensively (Stone is literally the best winger), playing with much better players on his line and on defence, and doesn't drive as much offence himself. Stone is also an UFA, while Marner is on RFA status for most of any contract he can sign. If Stone is worth 9.5, Marner should hardly make 8. This league is weird.
palhal and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Feb. 25, 2019 at 7:16 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Even we're talking RFA not UFA. Kucherov starts making 9.5m next season and his production is 30% more than Marner's....so. would Marner therefore should be making much less. Marner stats are very similar to Pasternak' who go 6.67....two years lately even at a 10% cap raise....what that 7.3m next season. So while the player and agent (and most ACGMs) always make higher end salary comparison, there are other comparables that should made.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Feb. 25, 2019 at 7:19 p.m.
stanthemanb123
Quoting: palhal
Even we're talking RFA not UFA. Kucherov starts making 9.5m next season and his production is 30% more than Marner's....so. would Marner therefore should be making much less. Marner stats are very similar to Pasternak' who go 6.67....two years lately even at a 10% cap raise....what that 7.3m next season. So while the player and agent (and most ACGMs) always make higher end salary comparison, there are other comparables that should made.

True but marner is going to get like an 11 million dollar deal thanks to The Auston Matthews. Leafs don’t want him to go and Marners camp is going to use Matthews deal as leverage.
Feb. 25, 2019 at 7:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Owentheguy
True but marner is going to get like an 11 million dollar deal thanks to The Auston Matthews. Leafs don’t want him to go and Marners camp is going to use Matthews deal as leverage.

I know the Marner camp will say that, but really should it really affect what is a fair offer. The comparables should be on other NHLers not just guys on your team. That been said you are probably right,.
Why Nylander got 7m and Larkin 6.1m, and Pasternak 6.7m....a big overpayment for Nylander. Then to make Matthews the second highest paid player in the league....by a lot, seems unreasonable stupid high by the Leafs.
Feb. 25, 2019 at 7:35 p.m.
I know the Marner camp will say that, but really should it really affect what is a fair offer. The comparables should be on other NHLers not just guys on your team. That been said you are probably right,.
Why Nylander got 7m and Larkin 6.1m, and Pasternak 6.7m....a big overpayment for Nylander. Then to make Matthews the second highest paid player in the league....by a lot, seems unreasonable stupid high by the Leafs.

I agree. And unfortunately, I kinda agree..

I think Dubas played a card today in the post tdl interview when he said something along the lines of "there will be alot of opportunity for guys on their elc.."

Part of that will be the nature of the beast of dealing in a cap world, but the other part could be that he is absolutely committed to his core and will pay them to keep them happy. Dubbie seems to he taking a long game strategic approach in making sure that the draft and develop model doesn't get sacrificed and he'll roll the dice with a top heavy core. Might work, might not. Rfas might be changing the landscape, or maybe that's only happening in Toronto. Babs and Dubas might be on a philosophical collision course. Or maybe not. But I like where this drama is going, and so far i like what Dubas is doing. Big set of stones on that guy..
Feb. 25, 2019 at 7:44 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
I agree. And unfortunately, I kinda agree..

I think Dubas played a card today in the post tdl interview when he said something along the lines of "there will be alot of opportunity for guys on their elc.."

Part of that will be the nature of the beast of dealing in a cap world, but the other part could be that he is absolutely committed to his core and will pay them to keep them happy. Dubbie seems to he taking a long game strategic approach in making sure that the draft and develop model doesn't get sacrificed and he'll roll the dice with a top heavy core. Might work, might not. Rfas might be changing the landscape, or maybe that's only happening in Toronto. Babs and Dubas might be on a philosophical collision course. Or maybe not. But I like where this drama is going, and so far i like what Dubas is doing. Big set of stones on that guy..

It seems like some of RFAs don't have to wait for big money....like Matthews, Nylander and undoubtedly Marner. So how to tell other RFAs, they are just going to have to wait to get "comparably fair". deals. If offer sheets were ever going to come....it's because the Leafs don't have cap to make "fair" contracts to other RFAs....Johnsson and Kapanen in particular. Leafs seem to going to route of long term expensive contracts....and Reilly and Anderson aren' far from UFA. I was really surprised that the MLSE/Shanahan and total management "caved" to Nylander. That contract set a bad Leaf precedent. Of course the deal is so front loaded, to me Nylander has to be traded this summer for the Leafs to solve their total cap problems, especially if Marleau doesn't retire.
Feb. 25, 2019 at 7:56 p.m.
It seems like some of RFAs don't have to wait for big money....like Matthews, Nylander and undoubtedly Marner. So how to tell other RFAs, they are just going to have to wait to get "comparably fair". deals. If offer sheets were ever going to come....it's because the Leafs don't have cap to make "fair" contracts to other RFAs....Johnsson and Kapanen in particular. Leafs seem to going to route of long term expensive contracts....and Reilly and Anderson aren' far from UFA. I was really surprised that the MLSE/Shanahan and total management "caved" to Nylander. That contract set a bad Leaf precedent. Of course the deal is so front loaded, to me Nylander has to be traded this summer for the Leafs to solve their total cap problems, especially if Marleau doesn't retire.

Well, I don't know if they caved on Willy. Alot of people had him between Ehlers and Pasta and with the cap increase from when Pasta signed Willy is pretty close to where he should be. And it helps that he's starting to heat up again. There's no doubt about it, he's a good player..

But very true on what this could mean for Johnsson and Kappy. I imagine they get bridged with their heads squeezed a bit so that we have a good run for a few years with those 2. If either of them don't like that an OS could be a real risk. My guess is that Z, Brown, Oz, Gards, Hainsey go in favour of pics and elcs.

Its looking like a top heavy approach to me with Marlie fillers to shore things up. How that lines up with Babcock, I dunno. But I think the idea of ever getting a Glendenning for a 4c is out the window..

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll