$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$4,766,667$4,766,667
RW
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$715,000$715,000
LW
UFA - 1
$686,667$686,667 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,700,000$4,700,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,700,000$3,700,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$202,500$202K)
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RD
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 16, 2019 at 10:34 p.m.
That's a hard no from me
Mar. 16, 2019 at 10:36 p.m.
Analytics are good
Tampa gets fleeced in this deal.

What a stupid trade
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 16, 2019 at 10:38 p.m.
Log off the internet
this ain't it chief
Mar. 16, 2019 at 11:01 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Betterall would try to keep a straight face as his innards are jumping for joy. What a steal. Sergachev is a young Ristolainen at a bargain price, Miller fills in the #2 center spot, Callahan may be just what the Sabres need to settle the team down after tough losses. Let's make a deal! cheers

Quoting: wojme
That's a hard no from me

Quoting: PenGoater99

What a stupid trade

Quoting: Hedman77
this ain't it chief
Hedman77 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 16, 2019 at 11:06 p.m.
Log off the internet
Quoting: GMTD
Betterall would try to keep a straight face as his innards are jumping for joy. What a steal. Sergachev is a young Ristolainen at a bargain price, Miller fills in the #2 center spot, Callahan may be just what the Sabres need to settle the team down after tough losses. Let's make a deal! cheers

and brisebois would be fired instantly
GMTD and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 16, 2019 at 11:09 p.m.
Wishin I Was Fishin
people clearly don't see ristolainen's value, and the fact callahan's contract will kill this team
Mar. 16, 2019 at 11:26 p.m.
Log off the internet
Quoting: LGRW_
people clearly don't see ristolainen's value, and the fact callahan's contract will kill this team

I agree Ristolainen is underrated but adding Sergachev is a little excessive. Same with Nylander. Miller and Callahan obviously isn't enough for Ristolainen but I think Sergachev is bridging the gap too much
Mar. 16, 2019 at 11:32 p.m.
Wishin I Was Fishin
I agree Ristolainen is underrated but adding Sergachev is a little excessive. Same with Nylander. Miller and Callahan obviously isn't enough for Ristolainen but I think Sergachev is bridging the gap too much

I think Sergachev and Callahan straight up for Ristolainen would be fair. Buffalo may need to add in a piece like Sheary as well if Sergachev and Risatolainen aren't equal or very close in value. Callahan probably has zero value, as he provides so little on-ice value (though I've heard he's a great veteran presence/leader).
Hedman77 liked this.
Mar. 16, 2019 at 11:39 p.m.
Log off the internet
I think Sergachev and Callahan straight up for Ristolainen would be fair. Buffalo may need to add in a piece like Sheary as well if Sergachev and Risatolainen aren't equal or very close in value. Callahan probably has zero value, as he provides so little on-ice value (though I've heard he's a great veteran presence/leader).

he's a good leader and physical. also great guy off the ice (google the Ryan Callahan Foundation). just not worth that contract.
Mar. 16, 2019 at 11:44 p.m.
That's a hard no from me

Yeah, id pass too. Its still a cap league.
Mar. 17, 2019 at 12:01 a.m.

Nah, its not a killer, its one year at 5.8. But you dont take it for free, if he is having trouble producing on a stacked tampa team, hes gonna look like leino or rob niedermeyer here. I dont like taking a left handed d back, we have lhd that should be ready. And for some reason we are retaining on ristolainen. Take the retention away and im still looking for a better deal. Retaining to help the best team in the league, that happens to be in our division, sign their players, thats just terrible.
Mar. 17, 2019 at 1:56 a.m.
KUUUCH
First of all, I said Mittelstadt (who I'd prefer) or Nylander ... And I'd rather send a 1st or a top fwd prospect over Sergy or Foote. But Risto (w/ 2m retained) & Mittlestadt for Cally, 1st/Katchouk, Miller? Send it.

Has anyone on here even attempted to make the cap work for Tampa next season?? shakes head Here are some scenario examples to understand the logic of the trade...

Scenario 1: Callahan doesn't get traded or bought out. Let's assume we don't resign anyone besides Coburn @ 1m cap hit. Aside from keeping Cally, this would clear the most cap without making a trade.
Result: Assuming the cap ceiling is 83m next year, that'd leave us with 6.36m cap space to resign Pointer (which most believe is too low), and that's just accounting for 12 fwds, 6 dmen, 2 goalies...

Scenario 2: Callahan gets bought out. Like scenario 1, Coburn resigns @ 1m cap hit. This would leave us with 9.5m cap space (which most believe is enough, but not enough for other RFAs).
Result: 18 skater & 2 goalies get locked up under the cap ceiling, and Cally's buyout carries a 1.56m cap hit for 2020-21, then the buy out penalties are over (Good deal if you ask me).

Scenario 3: Callahan gets traded (TB doesn't retain any of his cap hit), no other contracts come back to TB, and we'd have 12.16m in cap space (enough to re-sign Paquette and/or Erne, along with Pointer ofc), which is the big objective. Re-signing Point isn't the challenge, as I showed in the first 2 scenarios... Resigning the other expiring RFAs, on top of Point, is the challenge.
Result: Tampa trades an asset (value unknown, I'd predict 4th rd pick - 1st rd pick), but clears up even more space for our RFA's.

Scenario 4: Callahan gets traded (TB doesn't retain any of his cap hit) along with a 1st rd pick.... BUF sends back Ristolainen (w/ 2m retained).
Result: Leaves us with 9.76m in cap space (likely only be enough to re-sign Point), which would be 12 fwds, 6 dmen, 2 goalies.

Scenario 5: Callahan gets traded (TB doesn't retain any of his cap hit) along with a 1st rd pick & J.T. Miller.... BUF sends back Ristolainen (w/ 2m retained) and Mittlestadt.
Result: Leaves us with 14.1m in cap space... Plenty for Pointer, Erne, Paquette, which would put us at 14 fwds under the ceiling (assuming 2 crunch players come up)... Also puts us in better cap situation coming into 2020-21...

Ristolainen @ 3.4m for the next 3 years is the highlight of the trade. With the NTC stockpile in Tampa, Miller is the unfortunate odd man out. If you think the asking price for Cally should be high, just check the buyout penalty and ask yourself again. 1st round pick tops.

Breaking the trade down: Personally I think Mittlestadt is pretty close, if not higher than Miller regarding trade value (Mittlestadt could break out any year now). I think Cally & a 1st for Risto @ 3.4m is a no brainer. What's the problem?

What a stupid trade

That's a hard no from me

Quoting: sabres89
Nah, its not a killer, its one year at 5.8. But you dont take it for free, if he is having trouble producing on a stacked tampa team, hes gonna look like leino or rob niedermeyer here. I dont like taking a left handed d back, we have lhd that should be ready. And for some reason we are retaining on ristolainen. Take the retention away and im still looking for a better deal. Retaining to help the best team in the league, that happens to be in our division, sign their players, thats just terrible.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 17, 2019 at 8:55 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Edited Mar. 17, 2019 at 9:02 a.m.
That's a hard no from me

What a stupid trade

this ain't it chief

Quoting: sabres89
Yeah, id pass too. Its still a cap league.

Quoting: KUUUCH
First of all, I said Mittelstadt (who I'd prefer) or Nylander ... And I'd rather send a 1st or a top fwd prospect over Sergy or Foote. But Risto (w/ 2m retained) & Mittlestadt for Cally, 1st/Katchouk, Miller? Send it.

Has anyone on here even attempted to make the cap work for Tampa next season?? shakes head Here are some scenario examples to understand the logic of the trade...

Scenario 1: Callahan doesn't get traded or bought out. Let's assume we don't resign anyone besides Coburn @ 1m cap hit. Aside from keeping Cally, this would clear the most cap without making a trade.
Result: Assuming the cap ceiling is 83m next year, that'd leave us with 6.36m cap space to resign Pointer (which most believe is too low), and that's just accounting for 12 fwds, 6 dmen, 2 goalies...

Scenario 2: Callahan gets bought out. Like scenario 1, Coburn resigns @ 1m cap hit. This would leave us with 9.5m cap space (which most believe is enough, but not enough for other RFAs).
Result: 18 skater & 2 goalies get locked up under the cap ceiling, and Cally's buyout carries a 1.56m cap hit for 2020-21, then the buy out penalties are over (Good deal if you ask me).

Scenario 3: Callahan gets traded (TB doesn't retain any of his cap hit), no other contracts come back to TB, and we'd have 12.16m in cap space (enough to re-sign Paquette and/or Erne, along with Pointer ofc), which is the big objective. Re-signing Point isn't the challenge, as I showed in the first 2 scenarios... Resigning the other expiring RFAs, on top of Point, is the challenge.
Result: Tampa trades an asset (value unknown, I'd predict 4th rd pick - 1st rd pick), but clears up even more space for our RFA's.

Scenario 4: Callahan gets traded (TB doesn't retain any of his cap hit) along with a 1st rd pick.... BUF sends back Ristolainen (w/ 2m retained).
Result: Leaves us with 9.76m in cap space (likely only be enough to re-sign Point), which would be 12 fwds, 6 dmen, 2 goalies.

Scenario 5: Callahan gets traded (TB doesn't retain any of his cap hit) along with a 1st rd pick & J.T. Miller.... BUF sends back Ristolainen (w/ 2m retained) and Mittlestadt.
Result: Leaves us with 14.1m in cap space... Plenty for Pointer, Erne, Paquette, which would put us at 14 fwds under the ceiling (assuming 2 crunch players come up)... Also puts us in better cap situation coming into 2020-21...

Ristolainen @ 3.4m for the next 3 years is the highlight of the trade. With the NTC stockpile in Tampa, Miller is the unfortunate odd man out. If you think the asking price for Cally should be high, just check the buyout penalty and ask yourself again. 1st round pick tops.

Breaking the trade down: Personally I think Mittlestadt is pretty close, if not higher than Miller regarding trade value (Mittlestadt could break out any year now). I think Cally & a 1st for Risto @ 3.4m is a no brainer. What's the problem?

Another well thought out replay. Yes you did say Mittelstadt and Ristolainen. IMO BriseBois would do better if he tried to move Callahan and Gourde or Miller in separate deals. It is too complicated to do this in deal. One year of Callahan's cap to team with cap space could be had for minimal assets, certainly not much more than a Tampa 2nd. Then BriseBois could negotiate a fair trade for Miller or Gourde. Trying to mix the two will most like over value the impact of taking on Callahan's salary and therefore diminish other assets involved in the deal.
I would like to add, IMO Betterall will not be very active trying to sign UFA's this summer. He does not have a lot of cap space and if he signed one he may need to expose a valuable player to Seattle in the draft. Therefore, there may be interest for the Sabres to take on Callahan for a very modest addition. Maybe Callahan and 2019 2nd for O'Regan or another prospect.
KUUUCH liked this.
Mar. 17, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
KUUUCH
Another well thought out replay. Yes you did say Mittelstadt and Ristolainen. IMO BriseBois would do better if he tried to move Callahan and Gourde or Miller in separate deals. It is too complicated to do this in deal. One year of Callahan's cap to team with cap space could be had for minimal assets, certainly not much more than a Tampa 2nd. Then BriseBois could negotiate a fair trade for Miller or Gourde. Trying to mix the two will most like over value the impact of taking on Callahan's salary and therefore diminish other assets involved in the deal.
I would like to add, IMO Betterall will not be very active trying to sign UFA's this summer. He does not have a lot of cap space and if he signed one he may need to expose a valuable player to Seattle in the draft. Therefore, there may be interest for the Sabres to take on Callahan for a very modest addition. Maybe Callahan and 2019 2nd for O'Regan or another prospect.

Yea I agree, def would be simpler if Callahan gets dumped with an asset before miller gets traded. I do think Tampa tries to move miller this off season (or another fwd if someone moves their NTC), so they can make sure erne & paquette re-sign.

Callahan & 3rd rd pick for William Worge Kreü and you got a deal.
GMTD liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll