Forums/Armchair-GM

Search Your Feelings You Know It To Be True

Created by: Arom5477
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 20, 2019
Published: Mar. 20, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Unless he just goes off down the stretch and in the playoffs, 0 5v5 goals in the last 24 games (since Jan 30), he needs to be moved. I am not deminishing his accomplishments or his impact on the team. The trade was amazing and will be lauded as such for years to come, but it has run its course and the team is (I feel) too overly dependant on if his game in going well.

So before you rip into me and berate me in the comments, take a moment to look at the team objectively and see the situation from an outside perspective.

And because I know the nature of any Kessel trade on here, if there is no contructive criticism in your comment or your comment is just plain disrespectful, I will report you.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
1$1,500,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
5$4,500,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Kunin, Luke
  2. Spurgeon, Jared ($2,187,500 retained)
  3. Zucker, Jason
  4. 2019 1st round pick (MIN)
PIT
  1. 2019 4th round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
Don't get me wrong. Gudbranson has been great since the trade deadline. But he simply too expensive for the type of player that he is.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$79,382,500$132,500$600,000$3,617,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 20, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
WOW, that's a blockbuster. Not sure that MIN would want a Kessel-level guy on their team, as I think that they're looking at getting younger for next year. That being said, I think that this trade works, although I think that PIT wins the trade pretty handily, I wouldn't reject that trade from either side. Well Done
Arom5477 liked this.
Mar. 20, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
I don't think Minnesota wants Kessel today, to old for their core/direction.

In regards to judging him, as you said he has a loooot of years and months to judge him on. Being in a 5x5 slump for 2 months isn't a reason to move out on a player as established as him. It is a reason to keep an eye on him. I know you said "unless he goes off down the stretch", but frankly even if he just returns to his regular self, its more than enough. Plus while he has had no 5x5 goals he is still racking in assists, and providing good value at 6.8 million (6.8 million does not equal ppg). For a team that seems to be in a never ending search for good wingers, I don't think I'd be too excited to move him...

Trade value-wise isn't bad though. probably slightly overpay on Minnesota's part.
Arom5477 liked this.
Mar. 20, 2019 at 12:01 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
I don't think Minnesota wants Kessel today, to old for their core/direction.

In regards to judging him, as you said he has a loooot of years and months to judge him on. Being in a 5x5 slump for 2 months isn't a reason to move out on a player as established as him. It is a reason to keep an eye on him. I know you said "unless he goes off down the stretch", but frankly even if he just returns to his regular self, its more than enough. Plus while he has had no 5x5 goals he is still racking in assists, and providing good value at 6.8 million (6.8 million does not equal ppg). For a team that seems to be in a never ending search for good wingers, I don't think I'd be too excited to move him...

Trade value-wise isn't bad though. probably slightly overpay on Minnesota's part.

Thank you for your analysis.

I agree with the majority of what you said: you shouldn't judge based off a small sample size and that he may not fit in MIN plan (I was just going off his previous acceptable trade list a few years ago). But for the past few years watching the majority of Penguins games, I've always noticed that how well the team is playing, directly relates to how well Kessel is playing. Kessel is a star, so for most teams that makes sense. But we have two generational talents on our team and the whole team should run through them. Not Kessel. Kessel is not the type of player that should be looked to, to set the beat of the team. For example, Sid/Guentzel are playing lights out right now. And since hockey is a line structured game, its reasonable to believe that the momentum from Sid/Guentzel should carry over to the next (Geno) line. When Hornqvist was with Geno, that typically was the case and they worked well with the momentum of the 1st line no matter if they were scoring or not. But since Kessel is for some reason dependant on Malkin to get his overall game going, not just goal scoring, (even though it has always been a wash for goals they score as a line vs goals scored against as a line) and Kessel is still struggling, so immediately all momentum is lost for a shift and has to be regained all over again by the third line that has been playing quite well, but usually only get the last 15 secs. of their shift to do anything meaningful because they're having to regain what was lost a shift before.

And I should add, I do believe Kessel is a very underrated passer and brings that great dynamic to the team, but he's an elite goal scorer and in my eyes he's being paid to score 30+ goals a season in PIT. No excuses.
Mar. 20, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
Quoting: Arom5477
Thank you for your analysis.

I agree with the majority of what you said: you shouldn't judge based off a small sample size and that he may not fit in MIN plan (I was just going off his previous acceptable trade list a few years ago). But for the past few years watching the majority of Penguins games, I've always noticed that how well the team is playing, directly relates to how well Kessel is playing. Kessel is a star, so for most teams that makes sense. But we have two generational talents on our team and the whole team should run through them. Not Kessel. Kessel is not the type of player that should be looked to, to set the beat of the team. For example, Sid/Guentzel are playing lights out right now. And since hockey is a line structured game, its reasonable to believe that the momentum from Sid/Guentzel should carry over to the next (Geno) line. When Hornqvist was with Geno, that typically was the case and they worked well with the momentum of the 1st line no matter if they were scoring or not. But since Kessel is for some reason dependant on Malkin to get his overall game going, not just goal scoring, (even though it has always been a wash for goals they score as a line vs goals scored against as a line) and Kessel is still struggling, so immediately all momentum is lost for a shift and has to be regained all over again by the third line that has been playing quite well, but usually only get the last 15 secs. of their shift to do anything meaningful because they're having to regain what was lost a shift before.

And I should add, I do believe Kessel is a very underrated passer and brings that great dynamic to the team, but he's an elite goal scorer and in my eyes he's being paid to score 30+ goals a season in PIT. No excuses.

2 things:
1) I think you essentially explained in the latter half of your big paragraph that you want to trade him because he's in a slump. Don't trade a top end player in a slump. Its (a) bad asset management, and (b) short sighted.

2) Kessel was an elite goal scorer (and will always have the ability with his deceptive and quick release), but as his career has progressed he has become more of a set up man. Don't complain that a point per game player is point per game.

in regards to Minni, I was going to say bonus points for going to a team he'd likely like to go to (so it makes sense your basing it on a list he had made). He is a Wisconsin boy who played NCAA in Minnesota (if you ever here a long enough interview the accent is still there a bit, listen to him say "hackey"). But yeah, I think he would have fit great a few years ago when they were loading up (think when they signed Vanek). But that time has passed.
Mar. 20, 2019 at 12:28 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I just think Kessel best spot, his most productive spot is with the Pens. Any team trading for him would think he isn't going to "Penquin" good with any other team. Wild seem to shedding cap, not taking more long cap, though you trade is fair.
Calgary is close to the cap, don't think they can take on another 3.5m. Gudbranson can be traded but it's almost for a even cap situation I would think. (like so many trades.
Arom5477 liked this.
Mar. 20, 2019 at 12:30 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
2 things:
1) I think you essentially explained in the latter half of your big paragraph that you want to trade him because he's in a slump. Don't trade a top end player in a slump. Its (a) bad asset management, and (b) short sighted.

2) Kessel was an elite goal scorer (and will always have the ability with his deceptive and quick release), but as his career has progressed he has become more of a set up man. Don't complain that a point per game player is point per game.

in regards to Minni, I was going to say bonus points for going to a team he'd likely like to go to (so it makes sense your basing it on a list he had made). He is a Wisconsin boy who played NCAA in Minnesota (if you ever here a long enough interview the accent is still there a bit, listen to him say "hackey"). But yeah, I think he would have fit great a few years ago when they were loading up (think when they signed Vanek). But that time has passed.

Things I would respectfully disagree with regarding your two points:

1.) That it is bad asset management and short sighted. Reason I don't think so is because of the trade itself. For Kessel and other players, you get two younger winger that play with speed. You get a 1st round pick in 2019, which would give PIT two 1st rounders in a deep 2019 draft to help restock the farm. And you get Spurgeon that could possibly replace (be resigned) Schultz when he is inevitably traded away for assets or leaves in UFA.

2.) Complaining about Kessel. I think very highly of Kessel and will always respect what he has brought to this team. But trying to look from the outside with an impartial view, I believe that now is the time to move on from him. While he's still a PPG player and in his early 30's, but on his possible decline.
Mar. 20, 2019 at 1:17 p.m.
Banned
A. It's childish to threaten to report people because you don't like their comments.

B. that trade with kessel is horrible. Not only do you give away a point per game player because he's in a slump, but you give up their best young physical forward in ZAR, a really nice prospect in Björkqvist, and a good trade asset in Maatta. You get Zucker, probably a low round 1st, and a 5'9 defenseman, to a team who has issues with goons and has no one to step up and fill that role now that you also traded Gudbranson who has played great. What a bad move that is. What do we need, to see every player limping off the ice because no one else on the team will drop gloves?

Two thing that won't happen this off season. 1 Gudbranson won't be traded and if Kessel goes, it won't be in a package where the penguins are giving up a 2-3 line winger as well.

This is a horrible down grade for the team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll