Forums/Armchair-GM

To all those who think Marner should be making North of 10 mil

Created by: BCAPP
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 21, 2019
Published: Mar. 21, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What do you think Rantanen, Point, Aho, and Tkachuk should sign for?

Bonus points if you can predict Laine because that one is super unique

My thoughts of who has earned the most to least valuable contract

Point-Hes a center, not a winger. He's a goal scorer and likely to score 40 goals. That has a lot of value.
Rantanen/Aho tie- Rantanen second highest goal scorer. Aho is a little behind in point total but is a center and also has by far the worst line mates of these guys
Marner-Similar points to Rantanen and Point but significantly less goals than both, and a winger compared to Point and Aho as centres
Tkachuk- a decent but behind the others in points. Is ahead of marner in goals.

Laine is ridiculously hard to figure out what he is worth. He had 2 teenage seasons that looked like he could be a generational goal scorer and then has crapped the bed since December 1st. The only answer that makes sense to me is a bridge. But even then pure guess
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$9,160,000
8$8,250,000
8$9,500,000
8$9,500,000
8$10,750,000
2$6,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Aho, Sebastian [RFA Rights]
CAR
    A ham sandwich
    TOR
    1. Rantanen, Mikko [RFA Rights]
    COL
      A cold one
      TOR
      1. Tkachuk, Matthew [RFA Rights]
      CGY
        A shiny object
        TOR
        1. Point, Brayden [RFA Rights]
        TBL
          A ham sandwich with cheese
          TOR
          1. Laine, Patrik [RFA Rights]
          WPG
            A Timmy's coffee
            Retained Salary Transactions
            DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the EDM
            Logo of the SJS
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            Logo of the TOR
            ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
            6$83,000,000$54,360,000$0$0$28,640,000
            Left WingCentreRight Wing
            Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
            $9,160,000$9,160,000
            RW
            UFA - 6
            $9,500,000$9,500,000
            RW, C
            UFA - 6
            $9,500,000$9,500,000
            C
            UFA - 5
            $8,250,000$8,250,000
            RW
            UFA - 3
            $10,750,000$10,750,000
            C, RW
            UFA - 3
            $6,000,000$6,000,000
            C, RW, LW
            UFA - 2
            Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
            ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
            $11,000,000$11,000,000
            C, LW
            NMC
            UFA - 6
            $2,250,000$2,250,000
            RW, LW
            M-NTC
            UFA - 2
            $2,100,000$2,100,000
            RW, LW
            UFA - 1
            $775,000$775,000
            C, LW, RW
            UFA - 2
            $4,500,000$4,500,000
            C
            M-NTC
            UFA - 3
            $11,634,000$11,634,000
            C
            UFA - 5
            $6,962,366$6,962,366
            RW
            UFA - 5
            $5,300,000$5,300,000
            RW
            M-NTC, NMC
            UFA - 1
            $775,000$775,000
            LW, RW
            UFA - 2
            $675,000$675,000
            C
            UFA - 1
            $4,500,000$4,500,000
            RD
            M-NTC
            UFA - 5
            $863,333$863,333
            LD/RD
            UFA - 1
            $5,000,000$5,000,000
            LD
            UFA - 3
            $4,000,000$4,000,000
            LD
            UFA - 1
            $675,000$675,000
            RD
            UFA - 1
            $5,000,000$5,000,000
            G
            M-NTC
            UFA - 2
            $700,000$700,000
            LW, C
            UFA - 1
            $750,000$750,000
            G
            UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
            • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
            Mar. 22, 2019 at 10:31 a.m.
            Edited Mar. 22, 2019 at 10:38 a.m.
            Quoting: BCAPP
            I agree with most of this but not sure what you have against kane. He's third in the league in points with 101. Well ahead of all of these guys

Have against Kane?? Where did I say i was against him?

Edit: Oh I see what you mean. I didn't mean that in a bad way. I meant when he signed that contract he was already a multi cup winner, Conn smythe winner, Calder, pretty much one of the most elite players in the league for more than one year in a row. Also his 10.5M was almost 4-5 years ago now. So with inflation, it would probably look more like 13-14 now. So its hard to look at 10.5M and say Marner is worth 10.25m, you know what i mean?
            BCAPP liked this.
            Mar. 22, 2019 at 11:06 a.m.
            Formerly Jamiepo
            Really?

Yes really. The argument of taxes gets blown out of proportion on here. On a 10m contract it’s less than 1m and when it comes to signing bonuses it can swing the other way.
            BCAPP liked this.
            Mar. 22, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.
            Quoting: palhal
            What' a the "can afford" shouldn't be a factor. It's a player NHL value. So the should the Senators pay their best player 12.5m, because they can afford it?

you misunderstood my point, can afford affects what the team OFFERS. If a team CAN afford to pay a guy a lot of cap space right now, they can OFFER a guy a longer contract(since length is what drives up the aav from whatever the initial value is which is determined by performance), if a team CAN'T afford to give a guy 12million worth of cap space, then they can only offer him a shorter deal in order to get a more affordable cap hit in exchange for less control.
            Mar. 22, 2019 at 2:01 p.m.
            Matthews is a center who since entering the league as a teenager had been scoring goals at the second best pace in the league.

Marner went back to junior for a year. Entered the league a year later. Played pretty damn good for two years, then excellent for one. Marners family and agent can and should TRY to argue they're on the same level. But they're not and should t be paid as such.

hence why marners value is probably Matthews minus about 1-1.5mil. They are pretty similar but Marner would be a hair less because of some of the reasons you named So if its 5 years that would be 10million(that's actually 1.6mil less than Matthews). But the leafs would be nuts to give both guys the same term and possibly have both walk into ufa at the same time.
            Mar. 22, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.
            Quoting: awesome
            hence why marners value is probably Matthews minus about 1-1.5mil. They are pretty similar but Marner would be a hair less because of some of the reasons you named So if its 5 years that would be 10million(that's actually 1.6mil less than Matthews). But the leafs would be nuts to give both guys the same term and possibly have both walk into ufa at the same time.

Until someone sets the precedent different for an RFA winger coming off an ELC, the highest RFA winger coming off an ELC (outside of Ovechkin 12 years ago and different CBA), is 7.5 million to Tarasenko, and 6.8 million to Johnny Gaudreau (both of which are remarkable comparables to Marner in their contract year). Marner has no leg to stand on to be over 10 million. No one has ever gone anywhere near that for such a player. Only ONE winger who was an RFA has ever gotten more than that 7.5 million, and that was Kucherov, who both played better than Marner (Hart trophy candidate) AND was one year from UFA and arbitration eligible. That gives the player a TONNE more leverage than an RFA coming off their ELC as he can decide to go to arbitration, take his one year deal and go to UFA and the team literally cannot stop him. While not quite a UFA, a lot more leverage than an RFA.

Now if Rantanen signs before Marner I suspect he'll set a new precedent, but the precedent should be ABOVE what Marner gets, as frankly Rantanen has been a fair bit better than Marner over the last two years. Marner and his family can go on and on about how they deserve as much as Matthews, but simply put wingers are not as important as centers (outside of generational talents like Ovi). You cannot build a winning team around a winger. The leafs need to hold firm on this.
            blowing_the_zone liked this.
            Mar. 22, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.
            Quoting: F50marco
            Have against Kane?? Where did I say i was against him?

Edit: Oh I see what you mean. I didn't mean that in a bad way. I meant when he signed that contract he was already a multi cup winner, Conn smythe winner, Calder, pretty much one of the most elite players in the league for more than one year in a row. Also his 10.5M was almost 4-5 years ago now. So with inflation, it would probably look more like 13-14 now. So its hard to look at 10.5M and say Marner is worth 10.25m, you know what i mean?

Makes sense. I misread your post as you allude too
            Mar. 22, 2019 at 11:06 p.m.
            Until someone sets the precedent different for an RFA winger coming off an ELC, the highest RFA winger coming off an ELC (outside of Ovechkin 12 years ago and different CBA), is 7.5 million to Tarasenko, and 6.8 million to Johnny Gaudreau (both of which are remarkable comparables to Marner in their contract year). Marner has no leg to stand on to be over 10 million. No one has ever gone anywhere near that for such a player. Only ONE winger who was an RFA has ever gotten more than that 7.5 million, and that was Kucherov, who both played better than Marner (Hart trophy candidate) AND was one year from UFA and arbitration eligible. That gives the player a TONNE more leverage than an RFA coming off their ELC as he can decide to go to arbitration, take his one year deal and go to UFA and the team literally cannot stop him. While not quite a UFA, a lot more leverage than an RFA.

Now if Rantanen signs before Marner I suspect he'll set a new precedent, but the precedent should be ABOVE what Marner gets, as frankly Rantanen has been a fair bit better than Marner over the last two years. Marner and his family can go on and on about how they deserve as much as Matthews, but simply put wingers are not as important as centers (outside of generational talents like Ovi). You cannot build a winning team around a winger. The leafs need to hold firm on this.

again it depends on term, if its more than 5 years, 10 is the basement. If its less than 5, I would be shocked if he got 10. Wingers aren't absolute perfect comparisons to centers, doesn't mean you can totally pretend the other contract never occurred. It did, it set the market for many RFAs. I expect Rantanen to sign for a huge contract, not sure who signs first. But I think Rantanen will be for more(partly based on performance but a lot of it is based on I think he will get more term than Marner which will automatically inflate the aav even if it weren't already.)

To create a post please Login or Register
            Question:
            Options:
            Add Option
            Submit Poll