$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW, RW
RFA
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 25, 2019 at 5:52 a.m.
Signing stralman for anything more than 1 year is a mistake.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 6:05 a.m.
SabresFan1996
If Marleau retires the Leafs would be subject to a cap recapture penalty meaning they would have to pay his cap hit. And If he doen't retire I highly Doubt he would accept a trade to end his career in Arizona instead of Toronto because one could be a contender next year and one definitely won't be.
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 6:36 a.m.
polackostar
Quoting: SabresFan1996
If Marleau retires the Leafs would be subject to a cap recapture penalty meaning they would have to pay his cap hit.

Many teams have been able to circumvent the penalty. For instance, Detroit traded Datsyuk's retired contract to Arizona for a higher draft pick. Arizona has routinely traded for retired contracts such as Pronger and Hossa.

And If he doen't retire I highly Doubt he would accept a trade to end his career in Arizona instead of Toronto because one could be a contender next year and one definitely won't be.

If he doesn't retire - which I believe is unlikely when considering the character of the man and how far he has regressed this season - management has leverage to force him to accept a trade or sit, which again would contradict his character to oppose.
palhal liked this.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 6:37 a.m.
polackostar
Quoting: PJoseph13
Signing stralman for anything more than 1 year is a mistake.

I agree 1 year would be ideal but I imagine he would want more security than that and other top teams will offer him a multi-year deal as he's only 32.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 6:59 a.m.
Edited Mar. 25, 2019 at 7:06 a.m.
Quoting: polackostar
I agree 1 year would be ideal but I imagine he would want more security than that and other top teams will offer him a multi-year deal as he's only 32.

The thing is Leafs are lacking forward prospects, but there is an abundant amount tier 1,2,3 defencemen prospects. So in a year or two they will be roster ready.
Leafs aren’t going to be #1 team til 2021, maybe 2020 if everything comes together perfectly. But next year there will be a bit of a decline.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 7:13 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Don't think that is enough to get Pesce. I would rather spend some of that Stralman money to sign Johnsson and Kapanen to longer term.
But you are correct, a retired Marleau, gives Leafs options.
polackostar liked this.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 7:16 a.m.
SabresFan1996
Many teams have been able to circumvent the penalty. For instance, Detroit traded Datsyuk's retired contract to Arizona for a higher draft pick. Arizona has routinely traded for retired contracts such as Pronger and Hossa.

If he doesn't retire - which I believe is unlikely when considering the character of the man and how far he has regressed this season - management has leverage to force him to accept a trade or sit, which again would contradict his character to oppose.

It would also refelect poorly on Dubas if he tried to force a legend like Marleau to accept a trade which he has no authority to do so considering Marleau has full leverage with his full move clause. I don't think they pay a guy over 6 million to sit that would make Babcock and Dubas look like complete idiots. I think Marleau still having the ability to score 20 goals I doubt they trade him.
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 7:44 a.m.
polackostar
The thing is Leafs are lacking forward prospects, but there is an abundant amount tier 1,2,3 defencemen prospects. So in a year or two they will be roster ready.
Leafs aren’t going to be #1 team til 2021, maybe 2020 if everything comes together perfectly. But next year there will be a bit of a decline.

True Sandin and Liljegren should be ready for 2020-21 but they can be accommodated for then by letting Muzzin walk and perhaps trading Zaitsev then
Mar. 25, 2019 at 7:55 a.m.
True Sandin and Liljegren should be ready for 2020-21 but they can be accommodated for then by letting Muzzin walk and perhaps trading Zaitsev then

Don’t forget Rosen he is kicking a$$ in the ahl lately and Duszak is probably going to win the NCAA mvp award. Rosen tier 2 (if he transition at a average rate), Sandin has a crap load of potential tier 2, Lij is tier 3 but plays on the right side and can get nasty apparently, Duszak can go either way he could be something great or nothing. Borgman could be the prospect you add to make a trade go through.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 7:57 a.m.
polackostar
It would also refelect poorly on Dubas if he tried to force a legend like Marleau to accept a trade which he has no authority to do so considering Marleau has full leverage with his full move clause. I don't think they pay a guy over 6 million to sit that would make Babcock and Dubas look like complete idiots. I think Marleau still having the ability to score 20 goals I doubt they trade him.

Yes it would reflect poorly on management to do that to Marleau in terms of potentially damaging goodwill Dubas is trying to build up with players but if they are desperate enough to get rid of an unyielding Marleau (again I think this is unlikely) then it's still a viable option.

Marleau is a 15 goal scorer with nearly half coming on the PP. His 5 on 5 output per minutes played is amongst the bottom 12 players in the entire league. Surely he and management knows this and the potential benefits of having his experience/leadership for the youngsters has largely worn off now.

https://twitter.com/KPapetti/status/1109644082144514050?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1109644082144514050&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html%231109644082144514050
Mar. 25, 2019 at 8:04 a.m.
polackostar
Don’t forget Rosen he is kicking a$$ in the ahl lately and Duszak is probably going to win the NCAA mvp award. Rosen tier 2 (if he transition at a average rate), Sandin has a crap load of potential tier 2, Lij is tier 3 but plays on the right side and can get nasty apparently, Duszak can go either way he could be something great or nothing. Borgman could be the prospect you add to make a trade go through.

True I think Rosen is ready for the bottom pair now but he's yet another LHD so personally I'd rather him be the depth 7th Dman who will almost always still be needed alot and instead finally solve the RHD shortage. And yes Duszak could turn out to be a steal but is still only 21 and just turned pro I think he will need atleast a couple years to be ready (needs a lot of defensive work). Don't have much hope for Borgman anymore but would could supply some 7th/8th Dman depth one day
Mar. 25, 2019 at 8:06 a.m.
oh how i suffer

Seconding all of this. I'm not sure what ~leverage~ you think that Leafs management has to force a player with a full NMC to accept a trade, but I'd love to hear it. Marleau may choose to retire, but I doubt it, and I doubt even more than he doesn't end his career either in Leafs blue or Sharks teal (and that last would only happen on a one day contract because hoooo boy do we not have cap room for him to come back any other way.)

Everything else aside, I doubt you could get Arizona to take that deal. Even with all their terrible luck with injuries this year they're still very much in the wild card conversation and I'm going to guess that they're looking to increase their chances for next year - and that isn't really compatible with taking on a retirement contract for y'all.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 8:13 a.m.
You could always piss him off by sending him to the minors, or have him knee capped
Mar. 25, 2019 at 8:16 a.m.
polackostar
Quoting: bunnymcfoo
Seconding all of this. I'm not sure what ~leverage~ you think that Leafs management has to force a player with a full NMC to accept a trade, but I'd love to hear it. Marleau may choose to retire, but I doubt it, and I doubt even more than he doesn't end his career either in Leafs blue or Sharks teal (and that last would only happen on a one day contract because hoooo boy do we not have cap room for him to come back any other way.)

Everything else aside, I doubt you could get Arizona to take that deal. Even with all their terrible luck with injuries this year they're still very much in the wild card conversation and I'm going to guess that they're looking to increase their chances for next year - and that isn't really compatible with taking on a retirement contract for y'all.

I mentioned the leverage and it amounts to accept a trade or sit in the press box. Doubt Marleau would like that end to a top career.

Arizona is much improved this year but they are hemorrhaging money and there is no word that they will suddenly start splurging cash. Nevertheless, other teams looking to reach the salary floor or rebuild are always interested in taking on dead contracts for a price. Leafs did the same with Horton a few year ago.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 8:25 a.m.
oh how i suffer
I mentioned the leverage and it amounts to accept a trade or sit in the press box. Doubt Marleau would like that end to a top career.

I doubt that anyone connected to the Leafs would want to sit a 6m contract, but hey. Maybe they're cool with the optics of Patrick friggin Marleau in the press box!

Marleau isn't moving to another team - I realize that a lot of people around here don't ever think about the players' personal lives having any impact on what they do or where they go, but I would honestly die of shock if Patty moved his family again. (I'm pretty sure his wife would gut him.)

I mean, sure. Maybe he retires. It wouldn't be totally out of the question for him to do that. I think it's far from the certainty that you seem to think it is, but I guess we'll see what happens over the summer.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 8:27 a.m.
Still if Marleau retires Dubas job will be significantly easier, and will open the team to better options.
polackostar liked this.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 8:31 a.m.
polackostar
Quoting: bunnymcfoo
I doubt that anyone connected to the Leafs would want to sit a 6m contract, but hey. Maybe they're cool with the optics of Patrick friggin Marleau in the press box!

Marleau isn't moving to another team - I realize that a lot of people around here don't ever think about the players' personal lives having any impact on what they do or where they go, but I would honestly die of shock if Patty moved his family again. (I'm pretty sure his wife would gut him.)

I mean, sure. Maybe he retires. It wouldn't be totally out of the question for him to do that. I think it's far from the certainty that you seem to think it is, but I guess we'll see what happens over the summer.

Well no one thought he would leave SJ did they but low and behold he packed up after nearly 2 decades for Toronto. If he is so desperate to play one more year in the NHL as a bottom line non-contributor he may have to give it some consideration.

But yes this is all speculation we'll know come summer. I just wanted to explore the Leafs options without Marleau's contract because the media certainly isn't and I think it's a realistic possibility.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 8:37 a.m.
Bcarlo25

None of those guys were 35+ contracts
bunnymcfoo and mikearky liked this.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 9:10 a.m.
arky
There are some things that you have to understand about the Datstuk contract and trade. He wanted to play in Russia and had 1 year left on his contract, Wings were fine with him doing so and when the chance to trade him to a team that needed cap dollars, he was traded. Arizona kept him on the 23 man roster and used his cap to reach and pass the cap floor. Because he was loaned out to the KHL, Arizona used his cap hit and never paid a dime to him. So 7 million of cap and no money going out. Win Win

Now the Marleau thing is different but with some similarities. If Datsyuk had retired his final year cap hit would have gone back to the Wings due to cap recapture and he being over 35 when he signed or when the contract started. But because he did not retire and was kept on the active roster just not playing he was considered and active player. Marleau if he retires before next year, the Leafs will incur the cap hit whether he is a Leaf or on another roster.

Retirement is bad for a team when there is two things, one the contract was signed or takes effect after the player has turned 35 or older and there is front loaded. Such is the case with Marleau and that is the issue. If you sit him the press box you have his cap hit, if you force a trade and he retires, Leafs get hit with the cap hit . Marleau holds all the cards. He controls what, when and where he plays next year. If you force a trade or sit him and he is upset he could retire and really gum up the works in Toronto.

I doubt he accepts a trade to another team, that has cap space as they are probably not contenders. Toronto with his contract is in a very rough spot and how Dubas handles it will be very good to see.
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 9:42 a.m.
polackostar
Good points but the cap recapture penalty has been circumvented before you just have reach an agreement with the player to go on LTIR.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 10:24 a.m.
Good points but the cap recapture penalty has been circumvented before you just have reach an agreement with the player to go on LTIR.

Don’t you guys just hate how the NMC works players of a certain age get it almost automatically.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 10:34 a.m.
polackostar
Don’t you guys just hate how the NMC works players of a certain age get it almost automatically.

I don't really mind it as players tend to choose the better teams and those in popular hockey markets. Anything that penalizes a deadbeat sunbelt team like Arizona or Florida can't be that bad.
Mar. 25, 2019 at 10:37 a.m.
I don't really mind it as players tend to choose the better teams and those in popular hockey markets. Anything that penalizes a deadbeat sunbelt team like Arizona or Florida can't be that bad.

I would prefer if the only way you can get an NMC is if it’s part of your contract agreement and nothing to do with age or the year of your contract

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll