Flames Trades - OTT MIN MTL TOR

Created by: KH44
Team: 2019-20 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: May 1, 2019
Published: May 1, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Minnesota deal as rumoured
Montreal gets a D man that can play top pairing minutes. Cost when compared to Hamilton and Hamonic deals (a first and two seconds) seems reasonable, although I would hope for more. Ottawa gets a draft pick sweetener to take a one year expiring deal. Torono gets cap relief, a third line center to replace Kadri, and a couple of picks to continue stocking the cupboard. I know Toronto wants more for him, but everyone is aware of the cap crunch. Two picks, a younger, cheaper replacement and cap space may be the best they can get. Toronto can't take an equivalent player w/ salary back.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,250,000
2$750,000
2$3,000,000
6$7,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,500,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Frolík, Michael
  2. 2019 1st round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
CGY
  1. 2020 6th round pick (STL)
OTT
  1. Stone, Michael
  2. 2019 5th round pick (CGY)
TOR
  1. Jankowski, Mark
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the STL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$73,328,808$0$747,500$9,671,192
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$6,375,000$6,375,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 4
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,857,143$3,857,143
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
UFA - 5
$755,833$755,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 4
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 2
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 1, 2019 at 5:58 p.m.
Zuke is the goat
Just so you know... MTL isn't giving 2x2nd for Brodie
May 1, 2019 at 6:01 p.m.
Banned
I could see the MTL deal being a 2019 2nd and a 2020 conditional based on Brodie re signing.
Ryminister_27 liked this.
May 1, 2019 at 6:15 p.m.
Banned
It's actually not too bad overall. Few tweaks but you're in the right area to get talks started.

The rumoured Minnesota deal would take more than just Frolik and a 1st for Zucker. I'd say Minnesota would be looking at a young roster player or prospect that's close to the NHL. I'd suggest a guy like Dube or one of their young d-man. Wild reportedly asked for Valimaki at the deadline but were declined so it's gotta be in the range of players.

Brodie would be a good fit in Montreal and clear some cap for Calgary. A 2nd is a good place to start, maybe change the second pick to a conditional one based on if he signs. Or the likely deal would be a 2nd and a B- prospect.

Seems like you're treating Stone as a cap dump to Ottawa, you'd have to add more than that to get it done. The receiving team has to be getting something of value in return for taking on the salary of the bad contract. 5th and 6th round picks don't have much value for that.

Kadri for Jankowski isn't a bad deal. I worry about Jankowski's skating a bit for Toronto, but it clears their cap space. & because it's clearing the cap I'd say change to to just 1 2nd round pick instead. But again, you're in the right value range.

Good work though!
We_Want_The_Cup liked this.
May 2, 2019 at 8:40 a.m.
Rotheisler
I think my favorite part are the people who state as a matter of fact that this team is not accepting an offer as if they were actually just offered these trades and if they are in the front office. LOL. Keep in mind that literally every one of these, unless its Brad Treliving, is wishful thinking, and they are all going to have some sort of element of "not gonna happen". I mean I did one where we traded for Malkin, I dont actually think thats gonna happen haha. I think that your right, I couldn't see Lehner sign for that, but I think that he will sign for not far off, he may end up being the best bang for your buck, IF he makes it to UFA. And if he leaves, when NYI could have him at a discounted price and lets him walk, I would just make sure homework is done as to why. As far as the MTL wouldn't take Brodie for 2x2, if not them, I believe that is a very reasonable market price for Brodie, and if not MTL, I think 2x2 would be easy to get for Brodie. I wouldn't but someone will, and I also think because of his cap friendly contract he will be attractive to teams, and he has good term. Very marketable asset. I dont like this scenerio at all, but as far as realism and modest take home for your trades, I think you did a good job on this one, and again I don't like the make up, but this could happen hypothetically
KH44 liked this.
May 2, 2019 at 11:21 a.m.
Quoting: math731
Just so you know... MTL isn't giving 2x2nd for Brodie

The issue is what is he worth - its more than a second, without question. But is it a first? I didn't think so. Is it a second and a throwaway pick? Again, no. Montreal needs puck moving defencemen, and a one year audition next to Weber or Petry has a lot of value. I settled on two seconds. I could see it being a second and a conditional third, which becomes a second if he is traded or re-signed.
We_Want_The_Cup liked this.
May 2, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_27
It's actually not too bad overall. Few tweaks but you're in the right area to get talks started.

The rumoured Minnesota deal would take more than just Frolik and a 1st for Zucker. I'd say Minnesota would be looking at a young roster player or prospect that's close to the NHL. I'd suggest a guy like Dube or one of their young d-man. Wild reportedly asked for Valimaki at the deadline but were declined so it's gotta be in the range of players.

Brodie would be a good fit in Montreal and clear some cap for Calgary. A 2nd is a good place to start, maybe change the second pick to a conditional one based on if he signs. Or the likely deal would be a 2nd and a B- prospect.

Seems like you're treating Stone as a cap dump to Ottawa, you'd have to add more than that to get it done. The receiving team has to be getting something of value in return for taking on the salary of the bad contract. 5th and 6th round picks don't have much value for that.

Kadri for Jankowski isn't a bad deal. I worry about Jankowski's skating a bit for Toronto, but it clears their cap space. & because it's clearing the cap I'd say change to to just 1 2nd round pick instead. But again, you're in the right value range.

Good work though!

Thanks. Tough to put together deals that both sides are unhappy with, a general requirement for a good trade.

I am doubtful about Minnesota asking for a lot more. For example, straight up Zucker for Valimaki wouldn't happen, nothing else involved. Ottawa asked for Valimaki and a first for Mark Stone and said no. I don't see how Frolik+Valimaki+first is now somehow okay for a much lesser player. I don't see the Flames moving Dube as any sort of package either. So asking for Frolik + 1st + more is a difficult sell. If it was Frolik + Kylington, that would probably be too rich for the Flames. If it becomes Frolik+1st+prospect, Minnesota then needs to add to their side, and the deal becomes big and unworkable.

Brodie for a second and a conditional third that becomes a second if he is traded or re-signed could work, sure. I have him pegged as being worth less than a first, but quite a bit more than just a second.

Ottawa needs players and has lots of cap space. It would be a cap space dump, but not one that is long term or especially significant. It might cost more, but not substantially more. They aren't being asked to cover his costs for years. Increase the Flames pick to a fourth, maybe.

Just straight up giving the Leafs the return for the Brodie trade + Jankowski works for me.
May 2, 2019 at 2:24 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KH44
Thanks. Tough to put together deals that both sides are unhappy with, a general requirement for a good trade.

I am doubtful about Minnesota asking for a lot more. For example, straight up Zucker for Valimaki wouldn't happen, nothing else involved. Ottawa asked for Valimaki and a first for Mark Stone and said no. I don't see how Frolik+Valimaki+first is now somehow okay for a much lesser player. I don't see the Flames moving Dube as any sort of package either. So asking for Frolik + 1st + more is a difficult sell. If it was Frolik + Kylington, that would probably be too rich for the Flames. If it becomes Frolik+1st+prospect, Minnesota then needs to add to their side, and the deal becomes big and unworkable.

Brodie for a second and a conditional third that becomes a second if he is traded or re-signed could work, sure. I have him pegged as being worth less than a first, but quite a bit more than just a second.

Ottawa needs players and has lots of cap space. It would be a cap space dump, but not one that is long term or especially significant. It might cost more, but not substantially more. They aren't being asked to cover his costs for years. Increase the Flames pick to a fourth, maybe.

Just straight up giving the Leafs the return for the Brodie trade + Jankowski works for me.

The big issue with Frolik + 1st round pick for Zucker is that Frolik is considered a cap dump, so that lessens the value of him. You're essentially asking Minnesota to take on a cap dump for nothing, so if you wanted Frolik in the deal you'd have to add more. Minnesota could probably easily get a late first and a prospect with no cap dump for Zucker so it doesn't make sense from their side
May 2, 2019 at 2:38 p.m.
The big issue with Frolik + 1st round pick for Zucker is that Frolik is considered a cap dump, so that lessens the value of him. You're essentially asking Minnesota to take on a cap dump for nothing, so if you wanted Frolik in the deal you'd have to add more. Minnesota could probably easily get a late first and a prospect with no cap dump for Zucker so it doesn't make sense from their side

Frolik is not a cap dump, he is a very capable two way player. The issue is the Flames are playing him on the right side and Tkachuk on the left, and they are looking for someone who can score with Tkachuk, instead of the shut down element that Frolik brings. Not a cap dump at all.
May 2, 2019 at 6:20 p.m.
Banned
Frolik is not a cap dump, he is a very capable two way player. The issue is the Flames are playing him on the right side and Tkachuk on the left, and they are looking for someone who can score with Tkachuk, instead of the shut down element that Frolik brings. Not a cap dump at all.

He was a healthy scratch at times this year cause the coach didn't like his game. He's a cap dump. He doesn't have much value for a 3rd liner with that kinda contract
May 3, 2019 at 12:25 p.m.
He was a healthy scratch at times this year cause the coach didn't like his game. He's a cap dump. He doesn't have much value for a 3rd liner with that kinda contract

Nope, not a dump. 65 games, 16 goals, 18 assists, 34 points. One year left at $4.3. Not a dump.
May 3, 2019 at 12:27 p.m.
Banned
Nope, not a dump. 65 games, 16 goals, 18 assists, 34 points. One year left at $4.3. Not a dump.

Lol... 34 points for $4.3M and was a healthy scratch at times? .. that definitely doesn't scream tons of value. It'll cost you a prospect and a 1st for Zucker, Minnesota is looking to get younger. That's the whole point. Frolik is a bottom 6 guy. Nothing valuable about him a $4.3M. Lmao.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll