With the Marleau NMC

Created by: Stamper
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 4, 2019
Published: May 4, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Who knows.
Maybe Dubas can work some magic and get his way out of this mess.
But realistically, I don't see Marleau getting moved. At 39, he wants to win, and he's not going to accept a trade to a team lingering around the cap floor. He's settled down in Toronto, and I just can't see him waiving his NMC.
Zaitsev's contract isn't great, frankly its pretty terrible. But I'm curious to see what he can do with a full year next to Muzzin. The combination looked good in the playoffs, and who knows, maybe another good half season will inflate his trade value and get a GM to bite, I think it's worth keeping him around because of how weak the Leafs are on the left side.

Please don't ruin me too hard in the comments man.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$9,500,000
1$750,000
2$3,250,000
2$775,000
1$725,000
2$2,750,000
2$1,666,667
Trades
TOR
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (NYI)
TOR
  1. Fast, Jesper
  2. Pionk, Neal [RFA Rights]
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (NYR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$77,368,866$0$82,500$5,631,134

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
Logo of the New York Rangers
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,666,667$1,666,667
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 4, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
Mods have power egos
as a rangers fan i would take this trade but i hope they turn around and trade him for more that seems low for kadri and i just dont like him
May 4, 2019 at 5:32 p.m.
I think this is realistic. Perhaps Toronto looks to trade for a LTIR contract to acquire some breathing room to upgrade the defense instead of getting Pionk because Babcock isn't going to play a 23 year old d-man in the playoffs for meaningful minutes (esp in a game 7 setting in the 3rd) and that was Toronto's weakness all year.
Stamper liked this.
May 4, 2019 at 5:38 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
My thoughts on Marleau. You're right, he wants one last shot at the Cup. Gotta believe he knows the Leaf won't as good next year due to cap restraints, especially with his contract. Maybe you thinks all the work and travel for 1.5m isn't worth it. So a retired Marleau is possible.
But pro athletes are a different breed. In effect they have been pros since the age of 14. Most don't want it to end. Even former NHLers often play for little money in the AHL or Europe or minimal NHL contracts. Each players motivation is different.
My opinion, Marleau is done as difference maker as a NHLer. He's a third liner at best by more a fourth or five liner by the time October comes around. Only Marleau knows if wants to continue his pro career.
Stamper liked this.
May 4, 2019 at 5:39 p.m.
Stampers
Yeah I mean, I agree, Babs is going to be a tough nut to crack. I think alternatively, Kadri could be traded with Kapanen for some sort of defence.
May 4, 2019 at 5:50 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: palhal
My thoughts on Marleau. You're right, he wants one last shot at the Cup. Gotta believe he knows the Leaf won't as good next year due to cap restraints, especially with his contract. Maybe you thinks all the work and travel for 1.5m isn't worth it. So a retired Marleau is possible.
But pro athletes are a different breed. In effect they have been pros since the age of 14. Most don't want it to end. Even former NHLers often play for little money in the AHL or Europe or minimal NHL contracts. Each players motivation is different.
My opinion, Marleau is done as difference maker as a NHLer. He's a third liner at best by more a fourth or five liner by the time October comes around. Only Marleau knows if wants to continue his pro career.

Marleau has already stated that he is coming back next year.
May 4, 2019 at 5:54 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Jamiepo

I know he stated it. But he wouldn't say anything different with the microphones in his face after game 7. He didn't want to cause any drama by saying, "I'm not sure". He would be hounded all summer.
I agree with you...he likely doesn't retire, but Marleau is smart enough to say "he's coming back", regardless of his true feelings at the time.
GenXHockey and Stamper liked this.
May 4, 2019 at 6:45 p.m.
Banned
no team is going to go into a season with only $81K in cap space. There's going to be other moves. I don't see Nylander starting at centre. That might be what Dubas envisions but it's not what Babcock likes so I'd look for a cheap replacement if Kadri is moved. The defence was the most talked about thing with this team and if it's not improved then management needs to all be fired. Pionk isn't much of an upgrade. He's basically replacing Ozhiganov and Pionk was terrible after November last year. Best fit for Kadri is Carolina. They still need a top 6 guy and they have the defence to deal. A guy like TVR is similar to Zaitsev and would fit pretty good on this team, could also get a young centre in a deal like Wallmark or Roy and then a mid round pick (2nd/3rd). But Zaitsev is gonna have to be moved. He'll be the big one to go in order to make the cap work, even if they have to pay to do it. If not it's gonna come at the cost of losing a key asset due to the cap
May 4, 2019 at 6:53 p.m.
Trading Zaitsev must be done at the Draft, come July 1st, the official start of next season, he'll own a MNTC ( a 10 team no trade). I don't mind the idea of trading Kadri and using Nylander as 3rd C as long as Bracco, Moore or the Russian kid can be counted on as being top 9 forward worthy.
May 5, 2019 at 12:27 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo

Technically he said "we'll cross that bridge if they ask" when a reporter asked him if he's willing to waive his no trade clause.
May 5, 2019 at 8:46 a.m.
Stampers
Quoting: Ryminister_27
no team is going to go into a season with only $81K in cap space. There's going to be other moves. I don't see Nylander starting at centre. That might be what Dubas envisions but it's not what Babcock likes so I'd look for a cheap replacement if Kadri is moved. The defence was the most talked about thing with this team and if it's not improved then management needs to all be fired. Pionk isn't much of an upgrade. He's basically replacing Ozhiganov and Pionk was terrible after November last year. Best fit for Kadri is Carolina. They still need a top 6 guy and they have the defence to deal. A guy like TVR is similar to Zaitsev and would fit pretty good on this team, could also get a young centre in a deal like Wallmark or Roy and then a mid round pick (2nd/3rd). But Zaitsev is gonna have to be moved. He'll be the big one to go in order to make the cap work, even if they have to pay to do it. If not it's gonna come at the cost of losing a key asset due to the cap

Yeah I think you bring up a good point with the cap space. I definitely looked at Carolina as a potential option for where Kadri could get sent. Looking around, a lot of people had us getting Pesce for Kadri, which I just can't see happening. TVR was another person I though about trading for. I think that when I did this, I was trying to be quite conservative, and not trying to wave a magic wand and make our cap problems just disappear as I've seen on a few other postings. I definitely agree that Zaitsev is the piece that has to go to free up the cap space. We shall see what happens though
May 5, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Stamper
Yeah I think you bring up a good point with the cap space. I definitely looked at Carolina as a potential option for where Kadri could get sent. Looking around, a lot of people had us getting Pesce for Kadri, which I just can't see happening. TVR was another person I though about trading for. I think that when I did this, I was trying to be quite conservative, and not trying to wave a magic wand and make our cap problems just disappear as I've seen on a few other postings. I definitely agree that Zaitsev is the piece that has to go to free up the cap space. We shall see what happens though

I can see Kadri as the move that Toronto would have to sell low on just to relieve the cap space. The problem is that he's still good and on a great contract, but the production was down last year cause of injuries and the obvious suspension history causes a concern. A deal I've posted a few times is Kadri and a 3rd to Carolina for TVR (Carolina retains $800K), Wallmark or Roy, and a 5th. Carolina gets the higher pick because they're helping Toronto out of their cap crunch and they're retaining salary. TVR would be a top 4 right handed shot and if Carolina retained and Toronto only paid him $1.5M, that's a pretty good deal for Toronto.

As for Zaitsev, I honestly think he's moved before July 1 when his modified NTC kicks in. It'd be similar to a deal when Toronto traded Phaneuf to Ottawa where Toronto only gets back lower caliber players, maybe a C+ prospect too, but they take back an equal amount of cap that they can bury in the AHL. Ottawa is a perfect fit for that. Could be a package deal for Condon and Demelo (brings back $3.3M so Ottawa only takes a cap hit of $1.2M) and Toronto can bury most of Condon's $2.4M in the AHL (can bury $1.075M next season so his cap hit would be $1.325M) saves the Leafs cap space, adds a bottom our d-man and helps Ottawa get to the floor while they add a useful piece. Dallas could be a good fit for Zaitsev too with Stephen Johns coming back and going on LTIR. So there's definitely ways to move him, despite what people on here seem to think

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll