SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

You want crazy Ill give you crazy

Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 10, 2019
Published: May 10, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just kidding, I just can't bring myself to do anything that I don't think make sense for all parties involved.

The timing of the moves will be the interesting part. I think that with Hyman on the IR to start the season, that gives the Leafs a little more room to breath to figure out who is going to stay and who is going to go. But something like this makes sense. It makes for a terrifying offense and the defence isn't as bad as it was last year. A better partner for Rielly is definitely a good addition and then with Rosen and whoever on the bottom pair, Dermott when he's healthy, will be better than the 3rd pair last season.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$10,000,000
2$3,000,000
1$2,700,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (NYI)
TOR
  1. Tanev, Christopher ($2,225,000 retained)
Additional Details:
This would be done after the season starts. Vancouver will at some point realize they are still a year or two away from being a contender so they gain a top 6 forward.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$77,138,866$0$132,500$5,861,134
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,700,000$2,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$2,225,000$2,225,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 10, 2019 at 2:37 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Dude.
Tanev is BAD now.
Like, everything we would want him to do he can no longer do now kind of bad.
D5HLZ66UEAAomYK.png
May 10, 2019 at 2:39 p.m.
Pmwalker
Can’t see the Leafs going after Tanev. Way too many injury concerns and his play is declining.
May 10, 2019 at 2:39 p.m.
Two RHDs that i dont see fit for TML at the moment but are in lot of threads are Tanev and Faulk.
May 10, 2019 at 2:40 p.m.
TML On The Rise!
If Leafs made that trade with Vancouver I'd have to stop watching this team. That, imo, is an awful trade for the Leafs. Giving up a very YOUNG, fast and skilled penalty killer/sniper for a guy that can't stay healthy. Ever. And to boot, he's a UFA. No thanks.

I can't stand all the Tanev talk surrounding this team. Yes he's a good D man. Can't stay healthy at all. Move along
May 10, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Random2152
Dude.
Tanev is BAD now.
Like, everything we would want him to do he can no longer do now kind of bad.
D5HLZ66UEAAomYK.png

He isn't an offensive guy and has been playing on a team that is utterly terrible offensively. Advanced stats are easily skewed. Tanev is still a serviceable defenceman who can kill penalities and also is very good in his end. We can't afford to keep all our forwards and to be honest many of them are expendable because our top end guys can make almost anyone look good. So moving Kapanen (who I think is massively over valued right now) and getting a top pair defenceman who would be a great partner for Rielly makes a lot of sense. It saves money, doesn't hurt the offense and improves the defence.
May 10, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LoganOllivier
He isn't an offensive guy and has been playing on a team that is utterly terrible offensively. Advanced stats are easily skewed. Tanev is still a serviceable defenceman who can kill penalities and also is very good in his end. We can't afford to keep all our forwards and to be honest many of them are expendable because our top end guys can make almost anyone look good. So moving Kapanen (who I think is massively over valued right now) and getting a top pair defenceman who would be a great partner for Rielly makes a lot of sense. It saves money, doesn't hurt the offense and improves the defence.

Tanev is not a top pair dman is my point. He is solid depth at best. Moving Kappy for that would be a burke/nonnis era move
May 10, 2019 at 2:46 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Pmwalker
Can’t see the Leafs going after Tanev. Way too many injury concerns and his play is declining.

His injuries have been primarily luck based, and working with TO's sports science team will help I am sure. As for his decline, he was playing on a top team to start his career and over the past 4 seasons Vancouver has become a joke, with the teams decline, he has still never been part of the problem there.
May 10, 2019 at 2:48 p.m.
Pmwalker
His injuries have been primarily luck based, and working with TO's sports science team will help I am sure. As for his decline, he was playing on a top team to start his career and over the past 4 seasons Vancouver has become a joke, with the teams decline, he has still never been part of the problem there.

So only the Leafs have sports science programs now? News to me. All the elite players and now the only sports science program in the league. Very impressive
May 10, 2019 at 2:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Laudan
Two RHDs that i dont see fit for TML at the moment but are in lot of threads are Tanev and Faulk.

And Spurgeon is a good fit? He's 29 and is 170 lbs. A good defenceman sure but a big problem for TO is they can have trouble clearing the front of the net. Tanev is still good at defending the front of the net. He's a good skater and would just have to be better than Hainsey which he very clearly still is. At 2.225 million, I am not sure you can find anyone better at that price tag.
May 10, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
Banned
So only the Leafs have sports science programs now? News to me. All the elite players and now the only sports science program in the league. Very impressive

I am not saying the only one, but they have more money than pretty much every other franchise and they spend more on sports science and player development than pretty much anyone else. With the number of injuries the Canucks get each year, I question whether they have modernized their practices.
May 10, 2019 at 2:54 p.m.
And Spurgeon is a good fit? He's 29 and is 170 lbs. A good defenceman sure but a big problem for TO is they can have trouble clearing the front of the net. Tanev is still good at defending the front of the net. He's a good skater and would just have to be better than Hainsey which he very clearly still is. At 2.225 million, I am not sure you can find anyone better at that price tag.

Still turns out he will be rental at 40 games played in Season...sry....cant agree with you on this one.

On the side question ...are you sure LTIR for Hyman and Dermott will come as cap relief at start ? never payed attention to how those things are working . How will the Cap turn out when they come back ? Can TML exceed the higher cealing and go "unpunished" ?
May 10, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.
Pmwalker
I am not saying the only one, but they have more money than pretty much every other franchise and they spend more on sports science and player development than pretty much anyone else. With the number of injuries the Canucks get each year, I question whether they have modernized their practices.

Not a fan of either team. Just an outside perspective. I can just hear the Leafs fans when Tanev is injured 5 games into the season. Could get really ugly. Like I said I don’t see the Leafs doing this. They’ll aggressively target someone else or do nothing and wait on the Sandins and Liljegrens to fortify the backend.
May 10, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.
Bcarlo25
8x10 is pretty crazy
May 10, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
Pmwalker

Spurgeon is the best defensive defender rumored to be available easily. A Rielly/Spurgeon pairing is a clear upgrade on that blue line.
May 10, 2019 at 3:05 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Random2152
Tanev is not a top pair dman is my point. He is solid depth at best. Moving Kappy for that would be a burke/nonnis era move

You over value Kapanen. I think he's a 3rd liner who can score in spurts. I would bet a fair amount that he'll score 30 goals sometime, but that is if he has a top end centre who is a playmaker. I'd rather move him and replace with cheaper and close to equal talent.
May 10, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bcarlo25
8x10 is pretty crazy

Most non sensational hockey people think over 10 is a bit too much. He's a winger and no winger has ever made that much money. I think its more likely that the ask is high but its a tool to get a long term deal in the 10 million range. I think it'll be 10-10.5 and 7-8 years. Otherwise it'll be less for less term.
May 10, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Laudan
Still turns out he will be rental at 40 games played in Season...sry....cant agree with you on this one.

On the side question ...are you sure LTIR for Hyman and Dermott will come as cap relief at start ? never payed attention to how those things are working . How will the Cap turn out when they come back ? Can TML exceed the higher cealing and go "unpunished" ?

A player is eligible to go on LTIR if they are going to miss 10 games of action. Since both Hyman and Dermott are going to miss 4-6 months they will undoubtedly be LTIR eligible. Which means they will not be counting against the cap for those games missed. When they come off LTIR, they will once again count against the cap and I think in the case of Hyman, that is when we may see a forward traded to make some more cap room.

I know Tanev has some injury risk and perhaps due to that we can get another asset back in return, I just don't think Vancouver will give up a 2nd along with Tanev and I don't like their prospects outside of their top guys. I bet Tanev on a better team and a team that takes better care of their players (Again Vancouver is almost always near the top of the league in man games lost and I don't think that is bad luck) he'll play 70 games and all the playoffs and if he does, he'll be a huge improvement for the team. Really the other most cost effective plan may be to sign Hainsey to 1.5 million and that is a terrible idea.
May 10, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Most non sensational hockey people think over 10 is a bit too much. He's a winger and no winger has ever made that much money. I think its more likely that the ask is high but its a tool to get a long term deal in the 10 million range. I think it'll be 10-10.5 and 7-8 years. Otherwise it'll be less for less term.

so are dreger and mckenzie sensational wackos now?
May 10, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
Banned
Spurgeon is the best defensive defender rumored to be available easily. A Rielly/Spurgeon pairing is a clear upgrade on that blue line.

Spurgeon is good, don't get me wrong. But he's going to cost a lot more, he's 29, has a higher salary and isn't good at clearing the front of the net because he's 5'9" and weighs 169 lbs. I don't see that as a very good move for a team that needs to vastly improve their ability to clear the front of the net.
May 10, 2019 at 3:36 p.m.
Banned
so are dreger and mckenzie sensational wackos now?

Dreger has said some things that are a tad much. But with them I almost see them hating saying it. They keep saying the starting ask is money in the ballpark of Matthews. That by itself is not a lot of information to go off of. Does he want 11+ and for 5 years? Or is he saying we want a max deal and we want 11.5? If that is the ask then you know its a negotiation tool, which is probably what is actually happening. Unfortunately we live in a world where that small fact takes a life of its own and instead of Marner's camp saying, hey this is where we want to start. Its now, Marner is going to sign an offer sheet unless he gets Matthews money. That is definitely not what is happening. Both sides are wanting the same thing and I bet there isn't a huge divide. I have heard from less reliable writers that think a contract will happen in the relative near future and it's probably going to be in the 10 million dollar range. Its going to disappoint the fans who want to see Leafs bleeding but its just the reality of the situation. Marner is a terrific player but he's not a top 5 winger yet, so to get paid as the top winger is going to be a stretch. One I think he'll possible make or at least match the Kane contract but I doubt he gets more. I don't see him as a guy that wants the drama behind a protracted contract battle and Dubas wants it done fast so I predict common ground coming sooner rather than later.
May 10, 2019 at 3:41 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Dreger has said some things that are a tad much. But with them I almost see them hating saying it. They keep saying the starting ask is money in the ballpark of Matthews. That by itself is not a lot of information to go off of. Does he want 11+ and for 5 years? Or is he saying we want a max deal and we want 11.5? If that is the ask then you know its a negotiation tool, which is probably what is actually happening. Unfortunately we live in a world where that small fact takes a life of its own and instead of Marner's camp saying, hey this is where we want to start. Its now, Marner is going to sign an offer sheet unless he gets Matthews money. That is definitely not what is happening. Both sides are wanting the same thing and I bet there isn't a huge divide. I have heard from less reliable writers that think a contract will happen in the relative near future and it's probably going to be in the 10 million dollar range. Its going to disappoint the fans who want to see Leafs bleeding but its just the reality of the situation. Marner is a terrific player but he's not a top 5 winger yet, so to get paid as the top winger is going to be a stretch. One I think he'll possible make or at least match the Kane contract but I doubt he gets more. I don't see him as a guy that wants the drama behind a protracted contract battle and Dubas wants it done fast so I predict common ground coming sooner rather than later.

I've heard that Dubas has been told that if they want it done before July 1st, it's 5 years, 11.616
May 10, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
Banned
I've heard that Dubas has been told that if they want it done before July 1st, it's 5 years, 11.616

From who? I haven't heard anything of the sort from TO media and until Dreger or McKenzie say it, its just speculation.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll