Forums/Armchair-GM

Oilers and Habs fill some holes

Created by: MisstheWhalers
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: May 18, 2019
Published: Jun. 1, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Habs pay the price to fill a need, the Oilers get some quality wingers they desperately need.
The Oilers have a lot of defensemen and a lot of defense prospects so as much as their defense needs help it's more of a strength then forward is for them.
Didn't get into a bunch of buyouts cause I think buyouts for one year players just isn't wise.
The Habs are flush with wingers and wing prospects so they sacrifice some to fill the LHD hole that they have and they get a young one back to make up a bit of the difference.
Jones looked good in his callup and if Sekera can stay healthy he's still pretty solid so they should be okay without Klefbom until Bouchard is ready after some AHL seasoning.
After some contracts expire in 2020 the Oilers should have some more money to work with to improve the roster but in the meantime this makes them better.
This is how I think the lineup should be.
Commence yelling...
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,100,000
1$1,100,000
3$2,750,000
1$2,150,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,250,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Klefbom, Oscar
  2. Yamamoto, Kailer
  3. 2020 5th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$77,224,999$0$590,000$5,775,001
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW
UFA
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,150,000$2,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
G
UFA - 1
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 1, 2019 at 12:23 p.m.
VP, Amateur Scouting
That is way too much to give up for Drouin, Oilers need defense, so why trade the best defensemen on the Oilers. Kailer is a young promising forward with a lot of skill. I think the best trade is Caleb Jones and a 2020 second for Drouin and 2019 4th round pick is a good trade
Jun. 1, 2019 at 12:26 p.m.
Quoting: PattieKane88
That is way too much to give up for Drouin, Oilers need defense, so why trade the best defensemen on the Oilers. Kailer is a young promising forward with a lot of skill. I think the best trade is Caleb Jones and a 2020 second for Drouin and 2019 4th round pick is a good trade

A good trade has to involve all parties being happy. If you think Habs are taking Jones and a 2nd for Drouin and a 4th, you are out of your mind. That is the equivalent to the Habs offering EDM Noah Juulsen and a 2nd for Klefbom and a 4th...

Now tell me, Good trade?
Jun. 1, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.

Quoting: F50marco
A good trade has to involve all parties being happy. If you think Habs are taking Jones and a 2nd for Drouin and a 4th, you are out of your mind. That is the equivalent to the Habs offering EDM Noah Juulsen and a 2nd for Klefbom and a 4th...

Now tell me, Good trade?

The trade just doesn't make sense for both sides. EDM can't give up Klefbom for that price and we don't have any assets that makes sense for MTL to move Drouin for. Easy as that.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 12:43 p.m.
Quoting: ConnorsCousin
The trade just doesn't make sense for both sides. EDM can't give up Klefbom for that price and we don't have any assets that makes sense for MTL to move Drouin for. Easy as that.

Yep 100% agreed. Habs would want Klefbom but wouldn't be able to offer what EDM would want.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
MisstheWhalers

Read the bloody description mate, it explains my reasoning as to why I think Klefbom is expendable and say what you want about Drouin but he's a top 6 winger on any team in the league and both Armia and Lehkonen are quality two-way middle 6 wingers which is something Edmonton desperately needs.
As for Yamamoto he's a 5'8" runt and his AHL numbers weren't very impressive, even with him in the deal I'm not sure Montreal makes this trade but I tried to even it up a bit so that's why I included Yamamoto.

Not sure how else Edmonton is gonna get a top 6 winger with term any other way then trading one of Nurse, Klefbom or Draisaitl but Oilers fans seem to think trading any of them is a terrible idea, you gotta give if you want to get.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 12:51 p.m.
MisstheWhalers

So tell me then what would be a price that Edmonton could move Klefbom for? Pick any team.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 1:02 p.m.
If I'm trading with the oilers for a defenseman, Nurse is the guy I really want
Jun. 1, 2019 at 1:07 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: hiphiphuet
If I'm trading with the oilers for a defenseman, Nurse is the guy I really want

I used Klefbom cause of the term/dollar similarities with Drouin's contract but either works imo.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 1:20 p.m.
Love Klefbom, but that’s too much to give for him. Yamamoto is not enough incentive to give two good middle 6 wingers on top of Drouin, who would fit perfectly with McD as his elite skill level allows him to make plays at full speed
Jun. 1, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: El_Yogi
Love Klefbom, but that’s too much to give for him. Yamamoto is not enough incentive to give two good middle 6 wingers on top of Drouin, who would fit perfectly with McD as his elite skill level allows him to make plays at full speed

So what else would the Oilers need to give then in your opinion to make this trade happen?
Jun. 1, 2019 at 1:48 p.m.
Grizzlies
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Read the bloody description mate, it explains my reasoning as to why I think Klefbom is expendable and say what you want about Drouin but he's a top 6 winger on any team in the league and both Armia and Lehkonen are quality two-way middle 6 wingers which is something Edmonton desperately needs.
As for Yamamoto he's a 5'8" runt and his AHL numbers weren't very impressive, even with him in the deal I'm not sure Montreal makes this trade but I tried to even it up a bit so that's why I included Yamamoto.

Not sure how else Edmonton is gonna get a top 6 winger with term any other way then trading one of Nurse, Klefbom or Draisaitl but Oilers fans seem to think trading any of them is a terrible idea, you gotta give if you want to get.

The Oilers pass on Drouin. He's overated and not the guy Edmonton needs. Edmonton is weakest on D, so they won't cripple themselves more. Holland won't throw away a good defensive player with a good contract. As to Yamamoto...why trade for the runt if he's no good. You and I know he's a decent prospect...that's why you have him in the offer.

Oilers are better off trying to acquire through free agency first and maybe they consider moving there 2nd round pick.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 2:02 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Banman73
The Oilers pass on Drouin. He's overated and not the guy Edmonton needs. Edmonton is weakest on D, so they won't cripple themselves more. Holland won't throw away a good defensive player with a good contract. As to Yamamoto...why trade for the runt if he's no good. You and I know he's a decent prospect...that's why you have him in the offer.

Oilers are better off trying to acquire through free agency first and maybe they consider moving there 2nd round pick.

Oh geez, you do realize any free agent is gonna be an overpay right? And likely a bad overpay plus there's not many good free agents this summer, or not ones that are likely to sign with the Oilers anyway.

"Why trade the runt if he's no good?"
Ummmm cause I think he's no good.. Lol
And to sweeten the pot for the Habs to make the deal that's why.

Very much disagree, the Oilers aren't weakest on D, they're far and away weakest on the wings and in net, this trade seals up some holes on the wings and does it more effectively then trying to seal up those holes through pricey free agents. The Oilers don't have the cap space to get multiple free agents this summer unless they want to lose picks/prospects to dump bad contracts or do some buyouts but both of those routes hurt in the long run, this trade doesn't.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 6:36 p.m.
Grizzlies
Oh geez, you do realize any free agent is gonna be an overpay right? And likely a bad overpay plus there's not many good free agents this summer, or not ones that are likely to sign with the Oilers anyway.

"Why trade the runt if he's no good?"
Ummmm cause I think he's no good.. Lol
And to sweeten the pot for the Habs to make the deal that's why.

Very much disagree, the Oilers aren't weakest on D, they're far and away weakest on the wings and in net, this trade seals up some holes on the wings and does it more effectively then trying to seal up those holes through pricey free agents. The Oilers don't have the cap space to get multiple free agents this summer unless they want to lose picks/prospects to dump bad contracts or do some buyouts but both of those routes hurt in the long run, this trade doesn't.

Maybe you should watch more Oilers games. The D was terrible and they need a puck moving D big time. Klefbom is the closest thing we have to that. Until they get a better option on D, that trade doesn't take place.
We don't want Drouin. Overated and not needed in Edmonton.

Holland will definitely try free agency first. It makes more sense to try that option before giving up assets. Common sense. They will not make a move before free agency.
We'll keep the runt that sucks as well.
DripBayless liked this.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 7:58 p.m.
So tell me then what would be a price that Edmonton could move Klefbom for? Pick any team.

I just want to preface that Klefbom is arguably the Oilers best defenceman so for them to give him up, it better be an overpay. Not because of the player, but because of the perceived value to the team, and the dropoff from Klefbom to the next best defender the team has. Some players just have more value to their team than they do in a trade. Larsson is a perfect example of this. Larsson isn't a top pairing defenceman, but he is on the Oilers thus trading him for his real value is considered as a loss to the Oilers. The value in keeping players you know work for your team is that YOU KNOW what they can produce. Whenever there's a trade that happens, there's always a risk of the incoming player not being able to produce as well as the player you are sending out.

In reality, Klefbom is a #2-3 dman on a cup winning team. He should get atleast a RNH level type player imo. Drouin is a winger and I would say just not a sure thing enough for me to trade Klefbom considering Drouin has his inconsistencies. However, Klefbom's value is probably a bit higher to the Oilers because he has proven he can excel in Edmonton and management doesn't need to take any risk of losing that production. You HAVE to overpay for trades like this.

On a side note, I think you're undervaluing Yamamoto a little bit by looking at his size and production this year. He's still a question mark so to say he's a "sweetener" is crazy. He could blow up in the AHL and the trade could look real bad. Give these guys more time before judging them.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 8:56 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Maybe you should watch more Oilers games. The D was terrible and they need a puck moving D big time. Klefbom is the closest thing we have to that. Until they get a better option on D, that trade doesn't take place.
We don't want Drouin. Overated and not needed in Edmonton.

Holland will definitely try free agency first. It makes more sense to try that option before giving up assets. Common sense. They will not make a move before free agency.
We'll keep the runt that sucks as well.

You're loaded with good D prospects, move Klefbom or Nurse to fill holes on the wings and let one of the D prospects step in and play.
Well if you want to go the free agency route good luck with that, hopefully Holland can find a decent deal or two. The reason I chose those 3 players besides their abilities is there contract status, you'd get some certainty with them and they're not overpriced.
Jun. 1, 2019 at 9:30 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I just want to preface that Klefbom is arguably the Oilers best defenceman so for them to give him up, it better be an overpay. Not because of the player, but because of the perceived value to the team, and the dropoff from Klefbom to the next best defender the team has. Some players just have more value to their team than they do in a trade. Larsson is a perfect example of this. Larsson isn't a top pairing defenceman, but he is on the Oilers thus trading him for his real value is considered as a loss to the Oilers. The value in keeping players you know work for your team is that YOU KNOW what they can produce. Whenever there's a trade that happens, there's always a risk of the incoming player not being able to produce as well as the player you are sending out.

In reality, Klefbom is a #2-3 dman on a cup winning team. He should get atleast a RNH level type player imo. Drouin is a winger and I would say just not a sure thing enough for me to trade Klefbom considering Drouin has his inconsistencies. However, Klefbom's value is probably a bit higher to the Oilers because he has proven he can excel in Edmonton and management doesn't need to take any risk of losing that production. You HAVE to overpay for trades like this.

On a side note, I think you're undervaluing Yamamoto a little bit by looking at his size and production this year. He's still a question mark so to say he's a "sweetener" is crazy. He could blow up in the AHL and the trade could look real bad. Give these guys more time before judging them.

You sound like you've fallen in love with your players and are judging other teams players which all fans do but how else do the Oilers improve this roster if they don't trade somebody of value? Hope Pulujarvi or Yamamoto suddenly hit their stride and figure it out? Sure that could happen but that's a lot of hope and what ifs to bank on.

And there's more to this trade then just Drouin, Lehkonen and Armia are solid middle 6 wingers that'd provide the Oilers with good affordable depth and strong two-way play which is something else they're sorely lacking. And you'd be getting 3 good wingers in one trade, that's gotta be worth something. If I made the same trade involving just draft picks I'm certain Oilers fans would be whining saying 'you're selling too much of the future, we can't keep trading picks for short term help', can't win for trying I guess.. Lol

There's obviously risk to any trade so take a risk, is standing pat or overpaying in free agency less risky given where the Oilers are at?
Perhaps the Habs would need to add but who would you suggest they add to make it a fair trade? Or would just subtracting Yamamoto be enough to make it even? I'm pretty sure if I subtracted Yamamoto Habs fans would say that's too much for Klefbom though few if any Habs fans commented.

I may be undervaluing Yamamoto but I just don't think he'll amount to much. Sure he could blow up in the AHL or he could fizzle out and you'll wish he'd been dealt for whatever, like I said there's risk involved in every trade.
Jun. 2, 2019 at 10:57 a.m.
You sound like you've fallen in love with your players and are judging other teams players which all fans do but how else do the Oilers improve this roster if they don't trade somebody of value? Hope Pulujarvi or Yamamoto suddenly hit their stride and figure it out? Sure that could happen but that's a lot of hope and what ifs to bank on.

And there's more to this trade then just Drouin, Lehkonen and Armia are solid middle 6 wingers that'd provide the Oilers with good affordable depth and strong two-way play which is something else they're sorely lacking. And you'd be getting 3 good wingers in one trade, that's gotta be worth something. If I made the same trade involving just draft picks I'm certain Oilers fans would be whining saying 'you're selling too much of the future, we can't keep trading picks for short term help', can't win for trying I guess.. Lol

There's obviously risk to any trade so take a risk, is standing pat or overpaying in free agency less risky given where the Oilers are at?
Perhaps the Habs would need to add but who would you suggest they add to make it a fair trade? Or would just subtracting Yamamoto be enough to make it even? I'm pretty sure if I subtracted Yamamoto Habs fans would say that's too much for Klefbom though few if any Habs fans commented.

I may be undervaluing Yamamoto but I just don't think he'll amount to much. Sure he could blow up in the AHL or he could fizzle out and you'll wish he'd been dealt for whatever, like I said there's risk involved in every trade.

Here's an ACGM roster I created on how I think the Oilers can improve the most without giving up too many assets. Link: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/1182448

You'll find that I the biggest asset I shipped out was a 2nd rounder, but that's very dependent on Vegas giving up Haula for that price. They are in a very tough crunch and simply trading Eakin, Miller, and Reaves won't be enough if they need to resign Karlsson and Gusev. But other than that, the trades are pretty close imo. I'd like to get your feedback on the roster.

So let's start with Lehkonen and Armia. Great wingers, and probably 3rd liners on cup winning teams right? The Oilers can sign guys like Chiasson and Nygard who would almost be around the ball park there. Maybe not as good, but close enough that it doesn't require us spending assets to get those guys. These are the type of players GMs find in FA yearly. So remove them because we really don't have a need for those 2 guys, there's a surplus of guys out there for free. Again going back with familiarity, although Chiasson probably has the least value between Armia, Lehkonen, and Chiasson, he's still the cheapest to retain. Just signing him without trading anybody.

If we trade Klefbom, who'll replace his minutes? Is there any top pairing dmen in FA who'll sign for 4 years x 4.16M? Any guarantee that dman will succeed in Edmonton? Point is, I'd rather pay a price of 2020 2nd rounder for a guy like Haula to play 2LW with Nuge rather than pay Klefbom for Drouin and find a replacement for Klefbom. Also worth noting that EDM will have around 7M in cap space once everybody is resigned and no trades happen. That alone can help us find a FA who can stop gap and still be competitive (not the route I would take).
Jun. 2, 2019 at 3:49 p.m.
Grizzlies
You're loaded with good D prospects, move Klefbom or Nurse to fill holes on the wings and let one of the D prospects step in and play.
Well if you want to go the free agency route good luck with that, hopefully Holland can find a decent deal or two. The reason I chose those 3 players besides their abilities is there contract status, you'd get some certainty with them and they're not overpriced.

Bear, Jones and Bouchard are not ready to step in for Nurse or Klefbom. (Maybe as a replacement for Russel or Sekera) They need a couple more years. In two years we may be able to do what your saying, but we're not quite there on the back end. Plus the dollar value for both Nurse and Klefbom is to good.
Jun. 3, 2019 at 11:04 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Here's an ACGM roster I created on how I think the Oilers can improve the most without giving up too many assets. Link: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/1182448

You'll find that I the biggest asset I shipped out was a 2nd rounder, but that's very dependent on Vegas giving up Haula for that price. They are in a very tough crunch and simply trading Eakin, Miller, and Reaves won't be enough if they need to resign Karlsson and Gusev. But other than that, the trades are pretty close imo. I'd like to get your feedback on the roster.

So let's start with Lehkonen and Armia. Great wingers, and probably 3rd liners on cup winning teams right? The Oilers can sign guys like Chiasson and Nygard who would almost be around the ball park there. Maybe not as good, but close enough that it doesn't require us spending assets to get those guys. These are the type of players GMs find in FA yearly. So remove them because we really don't have a need for those 2 guys, there's a surplus of guys out there for free. Again going back with familiarity, although Chiasson probably has the least value between Armia, Lehkonen, and Chiasson, he's still the cheapest to retain. Just signing him without trading anybody.

If we trade Klefbom, who'll replace his minutes? Is there any top pairing dmen in FA who'll sign for 4 years x 4.16M? Any guarantee that dman will succeed in Edmonton? Point is, I'd rather pay a price of 2020 2nd rounder for a guy like Haula to play 2LW with Nuge rather than pay Klefbom for Drouin and find a replacement for Klefbom. Also worth noting that EDM will have around 7M in cap space once everybody is resigned and no trades happen. That alone can help us find a FA who can stop gap and still be competitive (not the route I would take).

That link didn't work so I couldn't see the AGM you made.

Sekera is good if he can stay healthy so he can take a lot of minutes and Jones can eat up some minutes, he's pretty much ready plus who knows maybe Bouchard is ready which would change everything. Trading Klefbom would mean leaning on Nurse, Larsson, Benning and Russell a bit more. Yes I acknowledge there's a risk but there's risk to almost any trade. I also think having a better top 9 forward group which this trade provides will make the overall team defense better and provide more support for the actual defensemen, a lot of that comes from better systems and player buy in.

In your scenario you're relying on Haula bouncing back from basically missing the whole season, that's way riskier then Drouin. The free agency class after the big names who aren't signing in Edmonton anyway(Panarin) isn't very good and that $7 million isn't gonna go very far, like is overpaying Dzingel a good idea? Bringing back Eberle? Nope and Nope!
What's even a guy like Donskoi gonna cost? Sorry going the free agent route for a top 6 winger isn't likely to work out and probably just causes you cap grief in two to three seasons when you likely have other young talent like Bouchard for example to pay.
Jun. 3, 2019 at 11:11 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Bear, Jones and Bouchard are not ready to step in for Nurse or Klefbom. (Maybe as a replacement for Russel or Sekera) They need a couple more years. In two years we may be able to do what your saying, but we're not quite there on the back end. Plus the dollar value for both Nurse and Klefbom is to good.

I think Jones is way closer then you think and this trade is done with the hope that Sekera is finally healthy and can be a regular contributor again.
Sekera is good, having him in full time will help greatly.
Can the Oilers wait two years to improve their forward group? Sorry they can't, season ticket holders and most importantly McDavid needs to see some lineup improvement in less then two years or they'll be wanting out!
Jun. 3, 2019 at 12:35 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Don’t see MTL doing this. 100% I can see them going after Klefbom or Nurse, if one is available, but there a few issues with this deal.

1. Realistically, Drouin isn’t available. There’s a lot reasons why too, and him being available is probably the biggest misconception on this site. One reason, which I find super annoying but it’s true, is that Drouin is French. Molson and Bergevin will always try and appease the French media and fan base. If you were to listen to TVA sport, Drouin is talked about almost on a daily basis, simply because he’s the most skilled French player to dress as a Hab in ages. As much as MTL would like to deny getting French people isn’t a factor, it’s a thing, and why MTL will always have a French coach too.

Then there’s also what MTL gave up to get Drouin. Which was, at the time, a 9th overall pick elite LD prospect. Now obviously Drouin isn’t worth that anymore and his stock has lowered significantly. But he’s still worth a mid 1st rd pick imo, or a late 1st + decent prospect. Drouin still puts up offensive numbers, even on ‘’bad’’ or inconsistent seasons, and is still really young.

Then there’s his contract. Drouin is on a long term, easily digestible, $5.5mil aav deal. In free agency today, any top 6 forward easily gets $6mil+ deals. Add that Drouin still has potential to be a top line player (and basically was one for 3/4 of this past season). His contract is a steal, and should be kept considering Habs will 100% be close to the cap in about 2-3 years when Domi, Gallagher, and Kotkaniemi will need new deals.

2. In this deal MTL is trading 3 roster wingers (1 top 6 in Drouin, and 2 top 9 with Lehkonen and Armia). Every Hab fan on here talks about how MTL are very deep on the wings. But after this deal, that depth is practically gone. Any injuries to wing afterwards would see a significant drop in quality imo. So if MTL want to use that depth to acquire at another position, 1 winger will be moved, MAYBE 2, but definitely not 3.

TL;DR

Habs say no

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll