Forums/Armchair-GM

Four-Team Mega Deal

Created by: SankFeravalli
Team: 2019-20 Vegas Golden Knights
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 9, 2019
Published: Jun. 10, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I expect this gets picked apart since there are so many teams and big names involved. Let me know what you think.

*COLORADO*
GIVES: JT Compher, Nikita Zadorov
RECEIVES: William Karlsson, Patrick Marleau
Colorado is in need of secondary scoring behind their top 3 forwards. Karlsson gives them a bonafide #2 center behind Nathan MacKinnon. Karlsson will need a new contact, Jr the Avalanche have plenty of cap space to resign him to a long term deal. They also have the cap space to take on Patrick Marelau’s contract. They could either buy out Marleau, or hang onto him as a veteran leader for the next season.
Colorado gives up a versatile, young middle 6 forward in Compher and an impactful young defenseman in Zadorov. Both are 24 years old this summer, and are RFAs.

*TORONTO*
GIVES: Nazem Kadri, Patrick Marleau
Receives: Colin Miller, JT Compher
Toronto needs to upgrade their defense while also managing a tight cap situation. Kadri has become a luxury with the addition of Tavares last year, and things seem to have been a little contentious between Kadri and the Leafs since his suspension in the playoffs. He does play an important role as a very high-end 3C, but the Leafs get a solid, young 3C in return with Compher. They also add a puck-moving RD in Colin Miller who is under contract for 3 more years under $4M annually. Miller has 70 points over the last 2 years, and could replace Jake Gardiner’s offense (82 points over the last 2 years) at a much lower cost if Gardiner can’t be resigned. Maybe most importantly, Toronto sheds Marleau’s contact to create over $3M in cap space without creating holes in their lineup. With Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson as RFAs, cap space is at a premium for the Leafs.

*VEGAS*
GIVES: William Karlsson, Colin Miller
RECEIVES: Jacob Trouba, Jack Roslovic
Vegas doesn’t have as many big RFAs as Toronto, but they’re in a bit of a cap crunch as well. They swap high-end RFAs by trading Karlsson away and getting Trouba back, and move Miller’s roughly $4M cap hit as well. There’s a rumor that Karlsson and Vegas are having trouble coming to an agreement on a new contract, and they could move him with Cody Glass on the way. Trouba gives Vegas a top-pair, right-shot defenseman to solidify their top-four defense group. They also get a young forward on his entry level contract in Roslovic with a lot upside. If Karlsson is dealt and the Knights move another forward like Erik Haula, Roslovic will have plenty of opportunity to solidify a spot in Vegas’s top 9.

*WINNIPEG*
GIVES: Jacob Trouba, Jack Roslovic
RECEIVES: Nazem Kadri, Nikita Zadorov
Winnipeg is a third team from this group looking to improve their roster while also managing a tight cap situation. For the last two years, they’ve added a #2 center at the trade deadline. They solidify that position with Kadri, who is won a very affordable deal for his role. His heavy style should fit well with the Jets system. Nikita Zadorov is another heavy player that would fit in well with the Jets. He’s an RFA who should get somewhere between 2.75-3.75 on a bridge deal. Zadorov’s size, physicality, and skating ability make him a unique talent, but he’s struggled a little bit with consistency. When he’s on his game, he could be a very impactful 2nd pairing defenseman. The Jets move on from a couple of players who have apparently had contentious relationships with management over the last couple of years. Trouba’s recent contract challenges are not a secret, and there’s a rumor that Roslovic asked for a trade due to lack of opportunity on a crowded Jets roster.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
2$3,000,000
Trades
VGK
  1. Compher, J.T. [RFA Rights]
COL
  1. Karlsson, William [RFA Rights]
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,000,000$76,644,166$0$212,500$6,355,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$675,000$675,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,775,000$2,775,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,200,000$5,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 6
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 10, 2019 at 8:12 a.m.
Actually pretty in depth and a decent set of moves, except it can all be derailed by Marleau not wanting to waive to go to COL. Also not sure VGK does it due to cap issues.
SammyT_51 and SankFeravalli liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 8:14 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: timmeejr
Actually pretty in depth and a decent set of moves, except it can all be derailed by Marleau not wanting to waive to go to COL. Also not sure VGK does it due to cap issues.

I agree with everything except Marleau. He wants to go to the west. Likely Colorado retains half and sends him to wherever he wants for half his cap hit. I will just add that Kadri has Jets on his NTC list.
SankFeravalli liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 8:15 a.m.
One other note: depending on how Vegas feels about their up-and-coming forwards and their current group of defense, the Winnipeg trade doesn’t necessarily need to happen. Kadri could be a direct replacement for Karlsson, and Zadorov would step into the Knight’s defense group. Personally, I think adding Trouba and allowing Glass to play bigger minutes makes more sense.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 8:27 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: SammyT_51
I agree with everything except Marleau. He wants to go to the west. Likely Colorado retains half and sends him to wherever he wants for half his cap hit. I will just add that Kadri has Jets on his NTC list.

Quoting: timmeejr

My opinion, he’s already given a list and Colorado is on it. They are competitive, in the western conference and have the cap space.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 9:55 a.m.
I think Colorado passes on this. Sakic isnt going to be willing to let Zadorov and Compher go just to get William Karlsson and buyout Patty. Have to sweeten the pot for Colorado.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 10:11 a.m.
This was a ton of fun to read, very well thought out. Never in the NHL is a bad trade like this going to be made, but it's super fun to think about. Every team gives up something useful and gets back something else they want.

This level of fun insanity is why I like this site so much.
SankFeravalli liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 10:40 a.m.
Banned
laugh laugh Where's Vegas coming up with the $8 million per to pay Jacob Trouba that's he's seeking? Vegas is the last team that can afford Trouba's asking price.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 10:53 a.m.
Quoting: Mergus80
One other note: depending on how Vegas feels about their up-and-coming forwards and their current group of defense, the Winnipeg trade doesn’t necessarily need to happen. Kadri could be a direct replacement for Karlsson, and Zadorov would step into the Knight’s defense group. Personally, I think adding Trouba and allowing Glass to play bigger minutes makes more sense.

So you could be looking at:

Patches - Staynasty - Stone
RSmith - Haula -Marchy
Gusev - Glass - Tuch
Carrier - Kadri - Reavo

That's slightly frightening to me in the best of ways.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:36 p.m.
Banned
Good detail and description, but you seem to be forgetting a few things, mainly with Vegas.

Trouba's made it well known he wants to play on the East coast. Vegas would lose him next summer unless he changes his mind, which he's stuck to his entire career. That's a big risk and a big price to pay for 1 year of a guy. They also have no cap to do this move. They're currently over the cap and Trouba adds likely $7Mish to their cap with only Miller's $3.875M moves out so Vegas is just adding cap which they can't do. You're also short on the roster for Vegas by at least 1 d-man and a backup goalie with only $2M in cap space, so it'd be tight to fit a complete team under the cap still.

Kadri has a 8 team no trade list, Winnipeg is on that list so he can't be moved there unless he agrees to it. I highly doubt Winnipeg is a situation he wants to go. They're in almost the same spot as Toronto where they're gonna be slightly less competitive next year because of moves they have to make to get under the cap. He'd likely only waive or go to an up and coming team, Colorado fits pretty well for him.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_27

Trouba's made it well known he wants to play on the East coast. Vegas would lose him next summer unless he changes his mind, which he's stuck to his entire career. That's a big risk and a big price to pay for 1 year of a guy. They also have no cap to do this move. They're currently over the cap and Trouba adds likely $7Mish to their cap with only Miller's $3.875M moves out so Vegas is just adding cap which they can't do. You're also short on the roster for Vegas by at least 1 d-man and a backup goalie with only $2M in cap space, so it'd be tight to fit a complete team under the cap still.

Bury Clarksons contract in LTIR land and that opens space. You can sign and call up Schuldt, Whitecloud or Hauge to fill in the sixth and seventh D spots or resign Engelland. Also have to keep in mind Gusev.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 7:53 a.m.
Quoting: limitededition92
I think Colorado passes on this. Sakic isnt going to be willing to let Zadorov and Compher go just to get William Karlsson and buyout Patty. Have to sweeten the pot for Colorado.

I struggled a little bit with Colorado’s portion of this. It’s harder to gauge exactly the value of what they’re getting and giving because they’re taking on a bad contract as a “negative value asset”. Karlsson is a very solid 50-60 point 2C that plays an excellent defensive game. Personally, I think he’s worth the price for Colorado, but it’s going to cost them a couple of good young players. If the Avalanche draft Bowen Byram at #4, I think it becomes a lot easier to part with Zadorov.

Quoting: Buckoleboy
So you could be looking at:

Patches - Staynasty - Stone
RSmith - Haula -Marchy
Gusev - Glass - Tuch
Carrier - Kadri - Reavo

That's slightly frightening to me in the best of ways.

I would guess Kadri is the 2C there. Vegas would probably need to move Haula and/or Eakin to afford Trouba, but that still leaves them with Stastny, Kadri, Glass down the middle.

Quoting: Ryminister_27
Good detail and description, but you seem to be forgetting a few things, mainly with Vegas.

Kadri has a 8 team no trade list, Winnipeg is on that list so he can't be moved there unless he agrees to it. I highly doubt Winnipeg is a situation he wants to go. They're in almost the same spot as Toronto where they're gonna be slightly less competitive next year because of moves they have to make to get under the cap. He'd likely only waive or go to an up and coming team, Colorado fits pretty well for him.

I’ll reiterate that Vegas would have to move out other money to make this work. It’s a little more of a mini-roster overhaul for the Knights than the other 3 teams. They’re in such a unique situation as an expansion team in cap trouble just two years into existence, so I wouldn’t be shocked if McPhee did some more extensive tinkering to help set up his team longer term.
I wasn’t familiar with Trouba or Kadri’s preferences. Those guys could definitely throw a wrench into this. I did read that Trouba isn’t wanting to play in Canada. Personally, I think a Kadri-Trouba swap makes a lot of sense (thanks Sean Avery), but it doesn’t seem like that will happen.
Kadri would be a nice fit in Colorado in terms of style, but I would worry a little bit about how he might shake up the chemistry in the locker room if I were Sakic.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll