Forums/Armchair-GM

Would a Marner offersheet actually make sense

Created by: BCAPP
Team: 2019-20 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 17, 2019
Published: Jul. 17, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Works fine this year but once Hischier/Hughes and even guys like Bratt get paid it's tight. They can always flip Hall to recoup some of it I suppose
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$10,600,000
2$1,100,000
2$1,950,000
4$3,500,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Marner, Mitchell$12,720,000
2020 1st round pick
2021 1st round pick
2022 1st round pick
2023 1st round pick
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$67,167,500$0$5,875,000$14,332,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$10,600,000$10,600,000
RW
UFA - 6
$749,167$749,167 (Performance Bonus$42,500$42K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 3
$2,325,000$2,325,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$1,950,000$1,950,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
C
NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 4
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,437,500$2,437,500
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 17, 2019 at 12:59 p.m.
it would potentially make sense if you want to throw away hall next year
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:02 p.m.
Brewmaster
Quoting: habs5232
it would potentially make sense if you want to throw away hall next year

No garentees Hall stays. Can you keep him and sign Marner and Hughes and Hischer in the upcoming years?
I dont know that question, but probably. Even trade hall part way through the year and get a few assets back.

Is NJ deep enough in prospects to give up on 4 firsts? Will any of them be lottery picks?

Is that $ enough to make the leafs say no. On a 6 year deal fair market value is 9.25 ish. Overpaying a bit you can get up to 10Mil the leafs would go to as is. 10.6 to keep him I would say is worth it. Probably have to get 11.5-12 to make the leafs walk
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:07 p.m.
He’s not signing it anyway. He wants to be a Leaf. He signs that he knows he isn’t anymore.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:31 p.m.
No
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:45 p.m.
Quoting: Chiller
No garentees Hall stays. Can you keep him and sign Marner and Hughes and Hischer in the upcoming years?
I dont know that question, but probably. Even trade hall part way through the year and get a few assets back.

Is NJ deep enough in prospects to give up on 4 firsts? Will any of them be lottery picks?

Is that $ enough to make the leafs say no. On a 6 year deal fair market value is 9.25 ish. Overpaying a bit you can get up to 10Mil the leafs would go to as is. 10.6 to keep him I would say is worth it. Probably have to get 11.5-12 to make the leafs walk

You keep beating me to it lol
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:47 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
He’s not signing it anyway. He wants to be a Leaf. He signs that he knows he isn’t anymore.

Marner doesn't care about being a leaf. He only cares about the endorsement deals that come with being a hometown leaf.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:48 p.m.
Brewmaster
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
You keep beating me to it lol

try to keep up. ha
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
Brewmaster
Marner doesn't care about being a leaf. He only cares about the endorsement deals that come with being a hometown leaf.

Isnt that him wanting to be a Leaf? For the wrong reasons sure, but instead of playing for the hometown team out of love he wants to do it out of $$, greed and emptyness inside
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:50 p.m.
try to keep up. ha

Lmfao
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:51 p.m.
Isnt that him wanting to be a Leaf? For the wrong reasons sure, but instead of playing for the hometown team out of love he wants to do it out of $$, greed and emptyness inside

You got me there lol
Jul. 17, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.

Lol. The emptiness part might be a bit much. I don't know if messy contract negotiations should be confused with his level of consciousness or the purity of his soul..

But this is getting kinda weird. I mean, he absolutely does seem to want to be a leaf so the only way to read these OS threats is that they are empty threats by his camp. Marner's bluff is getting pretty transparent. I'm just not sure what they're trying to achieve with their tactics. it doesn't make much sense to me.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
Brewmaster
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Lol. The emptiness part might be a bit much. I don't know if messy contract negotiations should be confused with his level of consciousness or the purity of his soul..

But this is getting kinda weird. I mean, he absolutely does seem to want to be a leaf so the only way to read these OS threats is that they are empty threats by his camp. Marner's bluff is getting pretty transparent. I'm just not sure what they're trying to achieve with their tactics. it doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah I went a bit far there, but I thought it was great for some sarcasm and comedic relief.

I agree he wants to be a Leaf.
His camp has played this dance since the beginning. With his Dad speaking up saying Mitch is disrepected, to Ferris laughing the day of when Matthews signs, to this BS threats.
Every day that passes an offersheet gets less and less likely. How can teams now sign one and not screw up their cap this year or next.
Ferris, like he has done with 2-3 other clients, holds out, threatens the KHL or europe, days before training camp signs a contract... Rinse and repeat.

But the way Marners camp has treated this situation. Using the tactics, using dregger and the media. Its completely BS. I blame mitch. Nothing happens without his say. His agent works for him. Mitch is allowing this to happen to get his want. Whatever they haev going on isnt working, and so many fans have had thier feelings change about mitch. I hope its all smoke and mirrors and he realizes he is not matthews. But if he is that delusional, then wooha we are in trouble.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.

As a leafs fan id let him walk for the 4 firsts. I'd unhappily match anything below 4 firsts.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.

Are you psychic? Are you his brother?

How can you actually know that.

One could certainly speculate, but to say with such confidence?
Jul. 17, 2019 at 3:54 p.m.
Yeah I went a bit far there, but I thought it was great for some sarcasm and comedic relief.

His camp has played this dance since the beginning. With his Dad speaking up saying Mitch is disrepected, to Ferris laughing the day of when Matthews signs, to this BS threats.
Every day that passes an offersheet gets less and less likely. How can teams now sign one and not screw up their cap this year or next.
Ferris, like he has done with 2-3 other clients, holds out, threatens the KHL or europe, days before training camp signs a contract... Rinse and repeat.

But the way Marners camp has treated this situation. Using the tactics, using dregger and the media. Its completely BS. I blame mitch. Nothing happens without his say. His agent works for him. Mitch is allowing this to happen to get his want. Whatever they haev going on isnt working, and so many fans have had thier feelings change about mitch. I hope its all smoke and mirrors and he realizes he is not matthews. But if he is that delusional, then wooha we are in trouble.

Well, you'll never get a complaint from me for comic relief. And that's how I read your last post. It gave me the a chuckle.

It is a weird dynamic that's playing out right now. I'm not willing to assign blame to Mitch, cause I only really know what I;m being told by Dreger (and other media knuckle draggers)... and I'm not in a habit of believing buffoons...

But at some point Mitch will need to put on the big boy pants and take control of this situation, even if he's only 22, or he'll end up wearing it pretty badly, imo. I hate to comment on family dynamics, but this seems like some pretty next level Macbethian stuff playing out right now. It's just down right wierd.. I mean, I can kinda get it if he really is just chasing top dollar, but I do believe he wants to be a leaf. So, I dunno, I don't get the benefit of anything that Ferris and Paul are doing.. it certainly doesn't seem to be in Mitch's best interest.

Now, if Mitch does really think he's the same value as AM, then I agree, we gots a pretty big problem here..
Jul. 17, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.

I can't really blame someone for using all the tools legally and legitimately at their disposal to try to get as much money as they can. It's his right to want to be well paid. I think it's unfair for fans to begrudge it of them. If it weren't for the salary cap creating an artificial situation he'd probably be getting 12 million and we'd be moving on.

That being said while I don't hate him for it, I think he is kidding himself and that his agent is an ass (though likely an effective ass)

What I can't respect is someone not honouring their contract once signed
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
I can't really blame someone for using all the tools legally and legitimately at their disposal to try to get as much money as they can. It's his right to want to be well paid. I think it's unfair for fans to begrudge it of them. If it weren't for the salary cap creating an artificial situation he'd probably be getting 12 million and we'd be moving on.

That being said while I don't hate him for it, I think he is kidding himself and that his agent is an ass (though likely an effective ass)

What I can't respect is someone not honouring their contract once signed

He's probably just an ass. I'm not sure about the effective part just yet.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 4:24 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
Are you psychic? Are you his brother?

How can you actually know that.

One could certainly speculate, but to say with such confidence?

Are you? If not how can you speculate otherwise? Never said I actually know that, just my opinion, and am I not aloud to have confidence in myself or my opinions? If not then why are you aloud? I've seen just about every interview since Mitch has been a leaf and he used to have that twinkle in his eyes when talking about being a leaf (the first two years) now (this year) he doesn't seem to have that same enthusiasm about being a leaf. Marner also turned down an 8×10 deal which is more than fair, I get it's a negotiation but...come on. Marner is the one with the final say on all of this (he's an adult in control of his own life or at least he needs too be). Why do you think he said he wouldn't sign an offer sheet? Because he knows he will make less playing anywhere else (he may make a few mill more per year on another team, but when counting endorsement deals he will make less). Just my opinion, which might not be yours and that's fine, but the truth is none of us know more than anyone else guessing.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 8:07 p.m.
Are you? If not how can you speculate otherwise? Never said I actually know that, just my opinion, and am I not aloud to have confidence in myself or my opinions? If not then why are you aloud? I've seen just about every interview since Mitch has been a leaf and he used to have that twinkle in his eyes when talking about being a leaf (the first two years) now (this year) he doesn't seem to have that same enthusiasm about being a leaf. Marner also turned down an 8×10 deal which is more than fair, I get it's a negotiation but...come on. Marner is the one with the final say on all of this (he's an adult in control of his own life or at least he needs too be). Why do you think he said he wouldn't sign an offer sheet? Because he knows he will make less playing anywhere else (he may make a few mill more per year on another team, but when counting endorsement deals he will make less). Just my opinion, which might not be yours and that's fine, but the truth is none of us know more than anyone else guessing.

I agree with you in the end.

But you initially said essentially "no that isn't why marner is doing this it is because of x". You can't know that. What you should have said is "I don't think that is why, it's probably/I think it's because of x"

The first statement was written as a statement of facts. Was just calling out the wording.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll