Forums/Armchair-GM

The Solution - Year 1 of 3 - Dump Cap Sign D and get a top 6 RW

Created by: shawnosulli
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 17, 2019
Published: Aug. 18, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is a 3 year plan, make sure to leave feedback and if you think a trade is wrong, off base etc provide a trade you thinks better with the same team or what you think would have yo be sent each way for the trade to be accepted. Don’t just wank or beak about it, provide some insight and ideas
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2021 6th round pick (OTT)
  2. 2022 7th round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Ottawa needs to get to the cap floor and a bit of depth, they can bury jurco and trade manning or keep him as 7th D
OTT
  1. Jurco, Tomas
  2. Manning, Brandon
Additional Details:
Cap dump for the oil
EDM
  1. 2020 6th round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Columbus could use a bit of vet depth, this trace could be to a few teams but if you look at the cap space they have and their depth chart brodz could work provide some depth and can be buried easily
EDM
  1. Gostisbehere, Shayne
Additional Details:
Ghost is way better then either of these players but hes now on the 3rd pairing in philly, they have quite a bit of depth at D with young prospects looking for ice and they need to sign two more rfa players, this allows them to get a cheaper 3rd pairing LD and use some some
Of that cap in free agency.
PHI
  1. Bear, Ethan
  2. Gagner, Sam ($1,150,000 retained)
  3. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  4. 2021 4th round pick (EDM)
  5. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
4th is conditional - if ghost puts up over 40 pts the 4th becomes a 3rd (top 10 protected) - JP has potential and interest, gagner is a cheap useful vet utility player that can play anywhere in the lineup and is a low risk commitment for the year and can prog be traded at deadline for a useful asset if needed. Bear is a very solid prospect and the picks provide a lot of value
EDM
  1. Frolík, Michael
  2. 2020 7th round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Flames need depth on defense and want to get rid of frolik, this is a cap exchange that benefits both teams and frees 300 k im cap space. Russell is an above average prospect to add to the flames prospect pool
CGY
  1. Russell, Kris
  2. Russell, Patrick
  3. 2022 4th round pick (EDM)
  4. 2022 6th round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
4th is conditional- if frolik puts up more then 40 pts it becomes a 3rd.

Russell provides solid defensive depth for the flames, allows them to not have to trade from a position of weakness and gives them two years of a vet who can play anywhere in a pinch.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,361,999$0$2,457,500$2,138,001

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$4,300,000$4,300,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
C
UFA - 1
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 18, 2019 at 1:46 a.m.
Banned
Please don’t make year two! Why ottawa would pay to get horrible contract? Cap dump would cost a prospect a least
Aug. 18, 2019 at 2:32 a.m.
Quoting: Sebybbq
Please don’t make year two! Why ottawa would pay to get horrible contract? Cap dump would cost a prospect a least

Hahaha Tool, you know what the cap floor is right? Ottawa wants to be T the cap floor and completely retool their team, this trade is not far off base at all, even if the oilers threw in a prospect it wouldnt be a top prospect, both of these players are gone at the end of the season so its not unlikely nor would i care if it was only a 6th round coming back, those picks are far from impactful but why wouldnt i want the scales tipped in my favour a bit? Thats the name of the game.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 2:53 a.m.
Talking Senators
lol to all these trades.

Ottawa has already hit the floor. We don't need two cap dumps.

Columbus are already extremely low on picks.. They won't trade one for brodziak..

Ghost is worth way more than that package
Pharow, palhal, Sign_em_up000000 and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 2:54 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: shawnosulli
Hahaha Tool, you know what the cap floor is right? Ottawa wants to be T the cap floor and completely retool their team, this trade is not far off base at all, even if the oilers threw in a prospect it wouldnt be a top prospect, both of these players are gone at the end of the season so its not unlikely nor would i care if it was only a 6th round coming back, those picks are far from impactful but why wouldnt i want the scales tipped in my favour a bit? Thats the name of the game.

They already are 5 millions over cap floor! And no but a least a b prospect. Ottawa won’t take contract just for your satisfaction, oilers would need to add for sure
Aug. 18, 2019 at 9:51 a.m.
Hahaha Tool, you know what the cap floor is right? Ottawa wants to be T the cap floor and completely retool their team, this trade is not far off base at all, even if the oilers threw in a prospect it wouldnt be a top prospect, both of these players are gone at the end of the season so its not unlikely nor would i care if it was only a 6th round coming back, those picks are far from impactful but why wouldn't i want the scales tipped in my favour a bit? Thats the name of the game.

I can see that your new to this site, just a piece of advice... You shouldn't create a thread asking for people's opinions then call them a tool for giving theirs because you don't agree.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 3:57 p.m.
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
I can see that your new to this site, just a piece of advice... You shouldn't create a thread asking for people's opinions then call them a tool for giving theirs because you don't agree.

My tool comment was because you said “don’t make year 2” not because of your actual opinion on the trade, that I understand I can see his POV but in the md both companies contracts are 1 year and an be buried. In the end the 6 and 7th pick is not a big impact on outcome of the team so whatever it would take to trade manning for a high pick would be done. Jurco can be buried so it’s a pretty minor part of the overall plan. However looking at the depth chart manning might be a decent low risk for the sens for a year but I get why they wouldn’t either
Aug. 18, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
Edited Aug. 18, 2019 at 4:08 p.m.
They already are 5 millions over cap floor! And no but a least a b prospect. Ottawa won’t take contract just for your satisfaction, oilers would need to add for sure

As far as I know they are at the cap floor with three players and 15.3 that will eventually designated for long term injury, I was under the understanding that those are taken off the cap as soon as season starts, do they still work towards the cap floor when designated to LTIR even though it doesn’t work towards the cap ceiling? If so then I def get what your saying and in that case a better prospect t and maybe sending a pick back would have to be involved to get manning off the books for sure but it I mean it’s not that far off but I can understand a prospect being sent back.

If that is the case what is the trade that Ottawa would make? With the same mane pieces.? Take out jurco and add a better prospect?
Aug. 18, 2019 at 4:03 p.m.
Quoting: Talking_Senators
lol to all these trades.

Ottawa has already hit the floor. We don't need two cap dumps.

Columbus are already extremely low on picks.. They won't trade one for brodziak..

Ghost is worth way more than that package

You have no clue if Columbus would take brodziak, they are short of bottom six center depth and brodziak has tons of experience and had a bad year by his standards but averaged 30 plus the few seasons before. Giving up a 6th Rd for a bottom 6 good face off guys is not out of the question at all, now with that being said I understand what your saying in the same token but Columbus has tons of cap and lack of experience so you can’t say I’m wrong and your right just like in the end I can,t it’s to minor and too close

As for Ottawa and the floor see my other comment about the LTIR and cap floor

Ghost is worth way more.... I dunnno he had 39 pts last year but is bad defensively, he is on the third pairing so I can see what you mean but in the end the end goal is to still win the trade so what am I supposed to bend over on each trade lol chiarelli there have been worse trades made in real life lol
Aug. 18, 2019 at 4:07 p.m.
Banned
As far as I know they are at the cap floor with three players and 15.3 that will eventually designated for long term injury, I was under the understanding that those are taken off the cap as soon as season starts, do they still work towards the cap floor when designated to LTIR even though it doesn’t work towards the cap ceiling? If so then I def get what your saying and in that case a better prospect t and maybe sending a pick back would have to be involved to get manning off the books for sure but it I mean it’s not that far off

Ltir doesn’t shed the contract it’s only to help team. Go read the rule.https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq
Team that have player on ltir can spend over the cap but still have to pay the player
And is salary the salary count

When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. The amount of relief that the club receives is calculated on the day the player is placed on LTIR. There are three equations that are used to determine the LTIR relief, the first, the basic equation, can be used during the season and during the off-season. The second, the training-camp equation, can be used on the final day of the off-season in preparation for the first day of the season. The third formula is used when the team already has a player on LTIR.
That from the nhl cba
Aug. 18, 2019 at 4:13 p.m.
Ltir doesn’t shed the contract it’s only to help team. Go read the rule.https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq
Team that have player on ltir can spend over the cap but still have to pay the player
And is salary the salary count

When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. The amount of relief that the club receives is calculated on the day the player is placed on LTIR. There are three equations that are used to determine the LTIR relief, the first, the basic equation, can be used during the season and during the off-season. The second, the training-camp equation, can be used on the final day of the off-season in preparation for the first day of the season. The third formula is used when the team already has a player on LTIR.
That from the nhl cba

You know what, I was just reading that, I was wrong on my perception of it for sure. I knew they still had to pay the player and etc but where I got mixed up was the difference of not freeing up cap space just allowing to over spend in the amount that’s tied up In LTIR and in that case then yes oilers would have to restructure that deal to dump manning, I knew most of the LTIR info just not the effect on cap floor. As far as saying your a tool was more just joking cuz you told me not to make year 2. The trades were not even crazy bad They were minor impact players except for the ghost trade and obviously I would want to win that I mean some gms are stupid lol I do take responsibility for the cap floor misunderstanding tho and now I got to learn a bit so. Works for me.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 5:27 p.m.
Banned
You know what, I was just reading that, I was wrong on my perception of it for sure. I knew they still had to pay the player and etc but where I got mixed up was the difference of not freeing up cap space just allowing to over spend in the amount that’s tied up In LTIR and in that case then yes oilers would have to restructure that deal to dump manning, I knew most of the LTIR info just not the effect on cap floor. As far as saying your a tool was more just joking cuz you told me not to make year 2. The trades were not even crazy bad They were minor impact players except for the ghost trade and obviously I would want to win that I mean some gms are stupid lol I do take responsibility for the cap floor misunderstanding tho and now I got to learn a bit so. Works for me.

No problem my friend! I have read all the cba point and its real interesting. There a lot of explanations it’s instructive.
Aug. 18, 2019 at 11:13 p.m.
Talking Senators
You have no clue if Columbus would take brodziak, they are short of bottom six center depth and brodziak has tons of experience and had a bad year by his standards but averaged 30 plus the few seasons before. Giving up a 6th Rd for a bottom 6 good face off guys is not out of the question at all, now with that being said I understand what your saying in the same token but Columbus has tons of cap and lack of experience so you can’t say I’m wrong and your right just like in the end I can,t it’s to minor and too close

As for Ottawa and the floor see my other comment about the LTIR and cap floor

Ghost is worth way more.... I dunnno he had 39 pts last year but is bad defensively, he is on the third pairing so I can see what you mean but in the end the end goal is to still win the trade so what am I supposed to bend over on each trade lol chiarelli there have been worse trades made in real life lol

All the "LTIR" guys can be placed on IR, which counts against the cap. That's exactly what Ottawa is going to do.

Brodziak is just not NHL material anymore. If you've seen him play last year, you'll agree. 35 years old too...

Ghost is a wildcard, I just think he's worth more than what you posted. He's had limited ice time because Philly also have Sanheim and Provorov on the team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll