Forums/Armchair-GM

Isles if we kept Tavares

Created by: AndrewLadd
Team: 2019-20 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 27, 2019
Published: Aug. 27, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Disclaimer: If ur a Leafs fan and ur about to troll, I have like 80 things I could say, but if your here to contribute than that’s completely fine. If ur an isles fan and ur j gonna rip on JT here than save it for somewhere else, I didn’t really like him at all at first, but now I respect his decision. He didn’t leave in the best matter but it’s time to move on.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
Trades
NYI
TOR
  1. Nelson, Brock
Additional Details:
If we kept JT I doubt Nelson would’ve stayed
NYI
TOR
  1. Komarov, Leo
Additional Details:
I don’t think we sign uncle Leo if JT stayed.
NYI
OTT
  1. Hickey, Thomas
Additional Details:
Waived
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$68,764,958$0$937,500$12,735,042
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$850,000$850,000
RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 27, 2019 at 8:36 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited Aug. 27, 2019 at 8:46 p.m.
Quoting: Isles777
Jason Spezza is going to be babcocks go to guy in the playoffs anyways, no shot leafs have a chance at playoff success with him behind the bench.

This is an opinion based on nothing. Babcock sat 'his guy' Leo Komarov in favour of Kapanen two years ago. I disagree with his usage of Marleau in this series, but the myth that he is always like that is absolutely false.

In all seriousness, why are leafs fans so cocky when you guys haven’t won a playoff series in the salary cap era and still don’t have a team that can beat Boston/ Tampa in a 7 game series.

Boston and Tampa were the 1st and 2nd best teams league wide last year. The Leafs chances were a coin flip at best, and made significantly harder after the Kadri suspension. You beat a Pittsburgh team on the decline and got by against Florida a few years back thanks to ****ty officiating. In this system the argument of "you didn't get past the 1st round" is meaningless as it pits the top teams against each other in the 1st round. One of the top 5 teams in the league (statistically) last year were going to be eliminated in the 1st round and I am not even talking about the Tampa choke. This year the projections are that one of the top 4 teams will be out in the 1st round, and two of the top 4 out in round 2. Playoff success is random, fluky, and not a valid argument.
EC0eKd0XkAY8tGW?format=png&name=small

And I just want to add one thing: It isn't condescension. Its experience.

Quoting: linehan10
by great moments do you mean winning a playoff series? or no cause ur not familiar?

See above
Aug. 27, 2019 at 8:48 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Random2152
This is an opinion based on nothing. Babcock sat 'his guy' Leo Komarov in favour of Kapanen two years ago. I disagree with his usage of Marleau in this series, but the myth that he is always like that is absolutely false.

Boston and Tampa were the 1st and 2nd best teams league wide last year. The Leafs chances were a coin flip at best, and made significantly harder after the Kadri suspension. You beat a Pittsburgh team on the decline and got by against Florida a few years back thanks to ****ty officiating. In this system the argument of "you didn't get past the 1st round" is meaningless as it pits the top teams against each other in the 1st round. One of the top 5 teams in the league (statistically) last year were going to be eliminated in the 1st round and I am not even talking about the Tampa choke. This year the projections are that one of the top 4 teams will be out in the 1st round, and two of the top 4 out in round 2. Playoff success is random, fluky, and not a valid argument.
EC0eKd0XkAY8tGW?format=png&name=small

See above

Oh now it's we beat Pitt because they're on the decline - A week before the playoffs started I had leafs fans in my mentions saying the Islanders luck was going to run out and Pittsburgh always shows up when it matters most! The confirmation bias is strong!
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 27, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Oh now it's we beat Pitt because they're on the decline - A week before the playoffs started I had leafs fans in my mentions saying the Islanders luck was going to run out and Pittsburgh always shows up when it matters most! The confirmation bias is strong!

I don't know if you were reading what I said, but anyone making those predictions were making them not by what I'll call 'play' for simplicity, but by reputation and history of success.

The islander's luck IS going to run out, you thinking it wont is confirmation bias somewhat ironically.
Aug. 27, 2019 at 8:53 p.m.
Isles7
There is natural PDO and un-natural PDO. They exist simultaneously as a result of the tabulation. The way to discern between the two is to look at career averages of the component parts. The Islanders (and the Leafs in 2013 and the Sens in 2017) had high un-natural PDO (AKA you scored and stopped pucks at levels well beyond what can reasonably be expected going forward). Reimer never put up another season at .924sv% and a GSAA of 11.64 (he didn't even break even on the latter and was never above average for sv%). Kadri shot 16.8% when his average is 11.5%.
Anderson hasn't put up a .926 since and he had a GSAA of 15.92, which is coincidentally about 30 points higher then his next few years.

Look at the guys who had career years on your team, and look at their %s compared to their averages. It isn't sustainable.

And no it wasn't the Trotz system. You were only just above average in shot danger and expected goals against. Lower than all of these teams (respectively):
CAR
VGK
TOR
SJ
MTL
PIT
CGY
CBJ
STL
(NYI)

MIN
STL
BOS
TBL
COL
MTL
CGY
VGK
NSH
(NYI)

Mat Barzal, Anders lee, and Jordan Eberle all had down years. Your claim that the Islanders play being unsustainable is simply wishful thinking, and I'm sure in December/January when the islanders exceed expectations , there will be more excuses.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 27, 2019 at 8:56 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Mat Barzal, Anders lee, and Jordan Eberle all had down years. Your claim that the Islanders play being unsustainable is simply wishful thinking, and I'm sure in December/January when the islanders exceed expectations , there will be more excuses.

*Whispers*(You should maybe look at the rest of your team - and at ageing curves)
Aug. 27, 2019 at 9:21 p.m.
Isles7
Edited Aug. 27, 2019 at 10:14 p.m.
*Whispers*(You should maybe look at the rest of your team - and at ageing curves)

You don't know what the top 9 will look like. It's very possible another top 6 forward is added through trade and there's a decent chance josh ho-sang makes the team. You can use all the analytics you want to try to prove that the islanders success isn't sustainable and they'll come back to earth this season - at the end of the day it's just a prediction. I'd be more concerned with half of your defense being comprised of replacement level defenseman. Have fun with Cody Ceci on the top pairing!
Aug. 27, 2019 at 9:42 p.m.
Tavares not signing with the islanders forced the owners to go out and get lou lamoriello who then hired trotz. I’m happy the way it played out - if Tavares signed ,Garth snow/Doug weight would still be running the show. Lou, trotz, korn > Tavares

Didn't they hire both before JT left?
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 27, 2019 at 9:51 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
Didn't they hire both before JT left?

Scott Malkin (islanders owner) hired Lou lamoriello in May 2018 because he feared JT wouldn’t re-sign. My point is if Tavares would have signed during the season, Garth snow and doug weight would still have their jobs.
Aug. 27, 2019 at 9:52 p.m.
Scott Malkin (islanders owner) hired Lou lamoriello in May 2018 because he feared JT wouldn’t re-sign. My point is if Tavares would have signed during the season, Garth snow and doug weight would still have their jobs.

Than him leaving was a blessing
Isles777 liked this.
Aug. 27, 2019 at 10:04 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
Than him leaving was a blessing

Exactly - I agree with “fire Babcock” . He’s only the best coach when he’s coaching nick lidstrom or team canada
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 27, 2019 at 10:10 p.m.
Exactly - I agree with “fire Babcock” . He’s only the best coach when he’s coaching nick lidstrom or team canada

The fact that he's getting another chance is a crime, He should've been fired in the middle of the season
Aug. 28, 2019 at 6:08 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
You don't know what the top 9 will look like. It's very possible another top 6 forward is added through trade and there's a decent chance josh ho-sang makes the team. You can use all the analytics you want to try to prove that the islanders success isn't sustainable and they'll come back to earth this season - at the end of the day it's just a prediction. I'd be more concerned with half of your defense being comprised of replacement level defenseman. Have fun with Cody Ceci on the top pairing!

Ummm what? Codi Ceci isn't the top pairing and our top 4 are all top 4 guys lol. The **** are you talking about?
Muzzin-barrie
Rielly-dermott
Aug. 28, 2019 at 9:37 a.m.
Tavares not signing with the islanders forced the owners to go out and get lou lamoriello who then hired trotz. I’m happy the way it played out - if Tavares signed ,Garth snow/Doug weight would still be running the show. Lou, trotz, korn > Tavares

Lou was brought in before JT left and worked to get him resigned, so the thinking that if JT stayed the Isles wouldn't have gone after Lou, Trotz and Korn isn't accurate. The Isles wanted to change the culture of the team and bring a winner FOR Tavares... despite doing that he decided to leave for what he thought were greener pastures and an easier chance at winning a cup in TOR.

And before any Leafs fans comment that I'm another salty Isles fan, I don't hate Tavares for his decision to go home and play for Toronto. I do believe he could have handled the situation better and been more open and upfront with the Isles regarding his intentions given what he meant to this Franchise.

Also having said that, it's not coincidence that Tavares leaving made the Isles a better team last year. They had a chip on their shoulder to show people they were more than just Tavares. They did that in spades last season and I don't necessarily agree with some of the people claiming it was luck and they will crash this year. The players, as a whole, bought into the team concept Lou and Trotz brought with them. I believe that, along with Trotz' coaching, is what will keep this team a playoff team going forward.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 9:40 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Hockeygoalie53
Lou was brought in before JT left and worked to get him resigned, so the thinking that if JT stayed the Isles wouldn't have gone after Lou, Trotz and Korn isn't accurate. The Isles wanted to change the culture of the team and bring a winner FOR Tavares... despite doing that he decided to leave for what he thought were greener pastures and an easier chance at winning a cup in TOR.

And before any Leafs fans comment that I'm another salty Isles fan, I don't hate Tavares for his decision to go home and play for Toronto. I do believe he could have handled the situation better and been more open and upfront with the Isles regarding his intentions given what he meant to this Franchise.

Also having said that, it's not coincidence that Tavares leaving made the Isles a better team last year. They had a chip on their shoulder to show people they were more than just Tavares. They did that in spades last season and I don't necessarily agree with some of the people claiming it was luck and they will crash this year. The players, as a whole, bought into the team concept Lou and Trotz brought with them. I believe that, along with Trotz' coaching, is what will keep this team a playoff team going forward.

Very well said, couldn’t be said it better myself
Hockeygoalie53 liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 9:44 a.m.

I don't believe this is accurate. Malkin hired Lou to restore a winning culture to a Franchise that had lost its way now that he and Ledecky had majority ownership. The Isles had NO belief Tavares would leave in May because JT had been saying ALL SEASON that he wanted to stay in NY and even asked to NOT be traded at the deadline. According to JT himself (If you choose to believe him) the only thoughts of leaving were just before the FA courting period opened in June when his agent convinced him to at least listen to other teams... by then Lou and Trotz were already brought on board.

Their signings were to show JT the Isles new owners were serious about icing a winning team year in and year out, not because they were afraid he was gonna leave. They wanted to build a winning team AROUND Tavares, not without him.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 9:46 a.m.
Ummm what? Codi Ceci isn't the top pairing and our top 4 are all top 4 guys lol. The **** are you talking about?
Muzzin-barrie
Rielly-dermott

Isn't Dermott hurt to start the year? Meaning Ceci will be playing Top 4 minutes for at least the first month or two...
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 9:54 a.m.
torontos finest
who is tavares
Aug. 28, 2019 at 10:35 a.m.
Isles7
Muzzin-barrie
Rielly-dermott

Dermott is out until at least November - coming off of major shoulder surgery it is highly unlikely Babcock puts a 22 year old defenseman in the top 4. I’m sure Reilly-ceci will be a lot of fun to watch!
Aug. 28, 2019 at 12:29 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Hockeygoalie53
Isn't Dermott hurt to start the year? Meaning Ceci will be playing Top 4 minutes for at least the first month or two...

Okay. Thats fine. Injuries aren't permanent and they don't affect the playoffs.
Dermott is out until at least November - coming off of major shoulder surgery it is highly unlikely Babcock puts a 22 year old defenseman in the top 4. I’m sure Reilly-ceci will be a lot of fun to watch!

Babs has already been using Dermott as a top 4 Dman last year until Muzzin and the injury. We might have Ceci as a sheltered #4 for 2 months, but after that it is fine.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll