How much is Kempny worth

Created by: KingLundqvist30
Team: 2019-20 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 20, 2019
Published: Sep. 20, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
WSH
    I’ve never really seen a trade for him on this website. I’m interested to see how much he is valued
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$70,179,295$1,150,000$82,500$11,320,705
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $9,538,462$9,538,462
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $3,350,000$3,350,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $6,700,000$6,700,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,166,667$5,166,667
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 4
    $2,415,000$2,415,000
    C
    UFA - 4
    $1,375,000$1,375,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $800,000$800,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,275,000$1,275,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 7
    $6,100,000$6,100,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,345,000$2,345,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 20, 2019 at 6:56 p.m.
    2nd I guess
    KingLundqvist30 liked this.
    Sep. 20, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
    DaBus
    I'd say a 2nd rounder or 3rd and decent prospect. He's a solid player with a good contract.
    KingLundqvist30 and Eli liked this.
    Sep. 20, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Late 1st early 2nd for a team in desperate need for a top 4 dman on a very reasonable contract
    Sep. 20, 2019 at 7:38 p.m.
    Black Lives Matter
    Quoting: bhavikp27
    2nd I guess

I'd value him higher than a 2nd.
    Sep. 20, 2019 at 7:57 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Edited Sep. 20, 2019 at 8:44 p.m.
    He's an okay top-pairing stay-at-home defenseman on a great contract.

I tried trading him and Stephenson early this summer, to a team that needs a top pairing LD, for a 20 goal checking wing on another great contract, plus a risk/reward prospect. Caps fans shot it down, and I don't think I've messed with him, since: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1380663

eta: he blocked a bunch of shots last Spring: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=realtime&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20172018&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=3&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=blockedShots
    Sep. 20, 2019 at 8:15 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: Capitalfail67
    Late 1st early 2nd for a team in desperate need for a top 4 dman on a very reasonable contract

Makes sense, but does a rebuilding team that adds Trouba and Panarin count as drafting early or late?
    Sep. 20, 2019 at 8:36 p.m.
    Banned
    Kempny doesn’t have that much value. Last season was is first full season! At 29 years old team won’t gave more than a 3 rd round pick. If he as same kind of succes this year maybe is value will go up but for now he have more value in caps line up
    GMs liked this.
    Sep. 20, 2019 at 11:27 p.m.
    Black Lives Matter
    Quoting: Sebybbq
    Kempny doesn’t have that much value. Last season was is first full season! At 29 years old team won’t gave more than a 3 rd round pick. If he as same kind of succes this year maybe is value will go up but for now he have more value in caps line up

I think he's worth more than a 3rd. Right now his value is probably a late first.
    Capitalfail67 and Eli liked this.
    Sep. 20, 2019 at 11:41 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: rangersandislesfan
    I think he's worth more than a 3rd. Right now his value is probably a late first.

A 19:11 minutes 29 years old defenseman,he is not worth a late first. Its not like he have been a consistent defenseman is whole career he only have 170 games played and he hasn’t have incredible number. He benefits the Washington system a lot. Justin braun return would be a starting point for comparable.
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 12:37 a.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Quoting: rangersandislesfan

Bingo. A top 4 with a cheap cap hit is worth that easily imo. Kempny missing the playoffs is arguably the #1 reason the caps didn’t advance
    AFriendCalledFive liked this.
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 12:41 a.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    A 19:11 minutes 29 years old defenseman,he is not worth a late first. Its not like he have been a consistent defenseman is whole career he only have 170 games played and he hasn’t have incredible number. He benefits the Washington system a lot. Justin braun return would be a starting point for comparable.

You’re clueless. He’s the caps best defensive defenseman. His cap hit alone makes him 2x more valuable. He’s a top 4 with a low cap hit. Low cap hits that fill a major void are valuable. It’s not rocket science bro
    AFriendCalledFive liked this.
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 1:52 a.m.
    Banned
    You’re clueless. He’s the caps best defensive defenseman. His cap hit alone makes him 2x more valuable. He’s a top 4 with a low cap hit. Low cap hits that fill a major void are valuable. It’s not rocket science bro

First your best defensive defenseman is orlov, and you had niskanen that you traded for
    Cap relief. You are completely blinded. Colin miller, justin braun these are the comparable for a kempny. Kempny isnt worth a single penny more than those two players. Kempny is a valuable defenseman but there a tons of similar player in the league.

So this isn’t science because you would fail the class badly! There no team that would offer a first round pick for kempny. And like i already said he as more value for the caps then in a trade.
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 2:01 a.m.
    Banned

Your judgement is clearly biased. One season with the capitals and he is now the greatest defenseman in the history of the game. Before saying that i am clueless you should do research try to find evidence or comparable of similar player that fetched a 1st rounder. The facts that there none of them since fourth defenseman isn’t holding that kind of value. Justin braun was playing shutdown minutes for san jose in top 4 role averaging more
    Minute than kempny. Colin miller was averaging 19:30 minutes of top 4 minutes and add similar offensive stats but he is 3 years younger. Those are comparable not just preferential thoughts because your a fan and you overrate your player
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 2:07 a.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    First your best defensive defenseman is orlov, and you had niskanen that you traded for
    Cap relief. You are completely blinded. Colin miller, justin braun these are the comparable for a kempny. Kempny isnt worth a single penny more than those two players. Kempny is a valuable defenseman but there a tons of similar player in the league.

So this isn’t science because you would fail the class badly! There no team that would offer a first round pick for kempny. And like i already said he as more value for the caps then in a trade.

Miller was benched and moved for cap reasons. Braun also was moved for cap reasons. Kempny perceived value is much higher than either guy you mentioned. Caps aren’t forced to move him so obviously they don’t need to take a pennies on the dollar for him.

Braun is a 1 year rental who’s cap hit is 1.3m more than kempny. Kempny is the better player and Braun received a 2nd and a 3rd. So a guy who’s better and signed for 3 more years at a cheap cap hit has more value. Again common sense. TeAm WoNt GiVe MoRe ThAN a 3rd. Obviously they do for older less talented players with a higher cap hit. Again it’s not rocket science bro. I can’t hold your hand any longer. Just think before you post smile
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 2:20 a.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Your judgement is clearly biased. One season with the capitals and he is now the greatest defenseman in the history of the game. Before saying that i am clueless you should do research try to find evidence or comparable of similar player that fetched a 1st rounder. The facts that there none of them since fourth defenseman isn’t holding that kind of value. Justin braun was playing shutdown minutes for san jose in top 4 role averaging more
    Minute than kempny. Colin miller was averaging 19:30 minutes of top 4 minutes and add similar offensive stats but he is 3 years younger. Those are comparable not just preferential thoughts because your a fan and you overrate your player

Never said he’s the greatest player ever but again you aren’t smart so let me hold your hand one last time.

Jensen received a 2nd and a very solid caps d prospect / roster player.

Muzzin last year vs kempny

19:01 minutes kempny (.35 Ppg)

21:02 minutes muzzlin(.46ppg) also a 1.5 m more of a cap hit

Both are top 4. Muzzlin has more offensive upside but again kempny isn’t offensive at all.

Muzzle got a 1st and 2 prospects.

Between the Jensen deal and muzzlin his value is pretty obvious.
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 2:32 a.m.
    Banned
    Miller was benched and moved for cap reasons. Braun also was moved for cap reasons. Kempny perceived value is much higher than either guy you mentioned. Caps aren’t forced to move him so obviously they don’t need to take a pennies on the dollar for him.

Braun is a 1 year rental who’s cap hit is 1.3m more than kempny. Kempny is the better player and Braun received a 2nd and a 3rd. So a guy who’s better and signed for 3 more years at a cheap cap hit has more value. Again common sense. TeAm WoNt GiVe MoRe ThAN a 3rd. Obviously they do for older less talented players with a higher cap hit. Again it’s not rocket science bro. I can’t hold your hand any longer. Just think before you post smile

A better player??? Who said that. On what you based your thoughts. You have no proof of what you claim and its just a personal judgement. And gallant rotate the defenseman because they add 8 nhl defenseman last year like the season before. Almost all there defenseman have been healty scratch a some point so its not a big deal. Colin miller is 3 years younger and didn’t get close to a late first. Again you fail badly you science test. Kempny is the worst of the three defenseman here, the one with less experience. Again you haven’t show a god damn evidence that kempny was worth a first round. No comparable, nothing just your blinded fans biased opinion that is talking.
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 2:45 a.m.
    Banned
    Never said he’s the greatest player ever but again you aren’t smart so let me hold your hand one last time.

Jensen received a 2nd and a very solid caps d prospect / roster player.

Muzzin last year vs kempny

19:01 minutes kempny (.35 Ppg)

21:02 minutes muzzlin(.46ppg) also a 1.5 m more of a cap hit

Both are top 4. Muzzlin has more offensive upside but again kempny isn’t offensive at all.

Muzzle got a 1st and 2 prospects.

Between the Jensen deal and muzzlin his value is pretty obvious.

????????? that you comparable Muzzin man you are very funny.

You don’t know nothing about the game of hockey i am done with you. I should knew that you wasn’t the sharpest tool in the box.

jensen was averaging around 20:30 minutes with detroit with around 0.30 ppg .

So kempny value is likely the same as jensen.

A second round pick and a bust prospects who
    Have a hard time getting regular icetime on nhl level
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 2:54 a.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    A better player??? Who said that. On what you based your thoughts. You have no proof of what you claim and its just a personal judgement. And gallant rotate the defenseman because they add 8 nhl defenseman last year like the season before. Almost all there defenseman have been healty scratch a some point so its not a big deal. Colin miller is 3 years younger and didn’t get close to a late first. Again you fail badly you science test. Kempny is the worst of the three defenseman here, the one with less experience. Again you haven’t show a god damn evidence that kempny was worth a first round. No comparable, nothing just your blinded fans biased opinion that is talking.

1) he’s a top 4 dman
    2) cap hit is low 2.5m
    3) he has term (3more years)
    4) he has won a cup in the short time with the caps
    5) Carlson just put up career numbers 75! Points playing with him. Great supporting guy.
    6) caps have no reason to trade him so teams would need to pay more for the caps to consider trading him

Now for you
    1) points are stupid stats for rating a defenseman. Carlson scores 75 is he a top 5 defenseman in the nhl. I can’t understand how you think that’s matters.
    2) ice time? Teams that have 2 pairing that would be considered top pairing normal don’t need to over extend players. Basic stuff. Orlov and nisk are very solid plus they had Orpik playing top pk and anchoring the 3rd pairing.
    2a) based off these 2 points Pesce would also be a comparable guy to kempny. His value would have been William Nylander type player.
    3) you don’t seem to understand values. Teams who need to free up cap space dont get full value back normally. Example. Nisk for Gudas. Nisk value is much higher but caps need to dump salary. Miller value might have need higher but Vegas need the space and I’m sure they wanted him back east. Also 1 year /1.5 year rentals don’t have the same value as players with low cap hit and term. Term > rental. Low cap hit > high cap hit? It’s not hard to understand. Pretty basic stuff.

Base off what top 4 rentals have got mixed with miller who was actually scratched due to poor play. Regardless of what you think....also the knights took less value for him be they were in a cap jam. You said he’s worth 3rd haha that’s just dumb. He’s closer to a late 1st than a 3rd.
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 3:50 a.m.
    Banned

Niskanen was on the trade block and he was superior in any point over kempny and the best offer they received was radko gudas.
    How can any team would offer more for kempny none! This isnt a video game gm are not stupid they. First round pick isnt traded for marginal players and clearly not for a defenseman that doesnt play 20 min a game.

Brendan Gallagher must be worth at least 3 first round pick and a top prospect if i fallow
    Your logic. Two 30 goal scorer with a super bargain deal. Play top line minutes.

Roman josi must be worth at least 4 fourth rounder plus 2nd rounder with that low cap
    Contract and is 25 minutes first pairing assignment!
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 7:44 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    Edited Sep. 21, 2019 at 7:53 a.m.
    Carlson have 70 point
    And 33 was on powerplay so i don’t see any link of kempny making him having a career year. That doesn't make much sense.

Kempny tied for 39th in even strength points by a defenseman last year. With 31 teams, that's an average top-pair ranking. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=skaterpoints&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

Some guys he tied with: Klingberg, McAvoy, Pietrangelo, Faulk, Erik Johnson (Colorado), Rasmus Dahlin, Jake Gardiner, and Cody Ceci.

This summer, two of those guys signed for 4M and 5M.

Ceci was traded this summer for a one-time 20 goal scorer, Connor Brown--assuming Zaitsev was for Harpur, skill-wise, with overall salaries more or less evening out. Kempny's plus/minus was 46 ahead of Ceci's last year, so even though he did play in an easier situation, his trade value should be at least as high as Ceci's. What's a Connor Brown worth in picks? I don't know. I think a high 2nd? Most second round picks never play 82 games in the NHL, let alone score 20 goals in a season. If Brown isn't worth a 2nd, he really should be.

Niskanen............radko gudas......Brendan Gallagher......
    Roman josi........

Niskanen's contract was signed when he was the best UFA on the market four summers ago. He's paid as a #1 defenseman. The new coaches expected him to take that job from Carlson. He didn't. So that example proves that contract determines trade value, yes. Or that Gudas is underrated? Probably both.

Gallagher is a terrific, valuable player, and Josi is even more so. Neither will be traded, so their value will remain a mystery.
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 8:43 a.m.
    Who adds what?

If you go by average minutes per night, you start thinking a bunch of rookies who played three games, and got double-shifted to rest veterans, are top four defensemen in the NHL. Look at minutes per year, where Kempny's just ahead of Shea Weber (7M), Josh Morrissey (6M), Nate Schmidt (5M), and Erik Karlsson (11.5M) last year. All are in the top 124, so they're all "top four" defensemen, on the season, by ice time. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=timeonice&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=timeOnIce

Braun also played 2nd pair minutes. More minutes, in fact. But a lot of teams value offense, defense, and cap hit, more than just ice time. Kempny tied for 77th in points by a defenseman with Niskanen ($5.5M) Vlasic ($7M) and a couple younger guys who will get paid soon. Braun was in a 7 way tie for 122nd among defensemen with Dan Girardi (retired), Kris Russell (Edm can't give him away at 3.5M), Brayden McNabb (some Vegas fans want to pay to give him away),Eric Cernak (might get benched for Shattenkirk), and Dennis Cholowski (might start this year in the AHL).

Braun was 301st among NHL defensemen in plus/minus last season. Kempny tied for 9th with Victor Hedman ($8M) and Morgan Rielly (a steal, at $5M). http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=plusMinus

Braun makes 3.8M, and he's 32 and a half years old. Most hockey players get a bunch worse around their 34th birthday, so Braun has one more reliably good season, if you had to predict, and essentially fetched a high 2nd as a rental. Kempny makes 2.5M, and he just turned 29 in September, so he should have about five more good years. Three of them are signed at just a little over half of Braun's cap hit. Kempny's on a really good contract, and a cap dump like Braun, whose plus/minus was the worst on a blue line that included Erik Karlsson, is not a good comparable. Braun got a high 2nd, 41st overall. Kempny is worth a 2nd and a prospect, or a late 1st. Or a 20 goal checking wing his same age, like Ceci for Brown. The last guy to do Kempny's job well, Karl Alzner, makes 4.5M, which was offered to him after he had a really bad year, in the hopes he'd get going again. He didn't. The guy who filled in, in between, Brooks Orpik, was overpaid at 5.5M, but would have been a steal at 2.5, when he was still quick enough to be effective.

Teams looking for a top-four LHD, that might not make the playoffs, like Montreal, NYR, and New Jersey, could get Kempny for their 2020 2nd and a forward prospect they don't need. If Toronto randomly calls about Kempny, the price is a 1st plus Tymashov. If they don't get good offers, the Caps are more likely to consider trading Djoos or Copley to get under the cap, than to give away an effective top pair defenseman on a great contract for nothing.
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 9:41 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Eli
    Kempny tied for 39th in even strength points by a defenseman last year. With 31 teams, that's an average top-pair ranking. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=skaterpoints&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

Some guys he tied with: Klingberg, McAvoy, Pietrangelo, Faulk, Erik Johnson (Colorado), Rasmus Dahlin, Jake Gardiner, and Cody Ceci.

This summer, two of those guys signed for 4M and 5M.

Ceci was traded this summer for a one-time 20 goal scorer, Connor Brown--assuming Zaitsev was for Harpur, skill-wise, with overall salaries more or less evening out. Kempny's plus/minus was 46 ahead of Ceci's last year, so even though he did play in an easier situation, his trade value should be at least as high as Ceci's. What's a Connor Brown worth in picks? I don't know. I think a high 2nd? Most second round picks never play 82 games in the NHL, let alone score 20 goals in a season. If Brown isn't worth a 2nd, he really should be.

Niskanen's contract was signed when he was the best UFA on the market four summers ago. He's paid as a #1 defenseman. The new coaches expected him to take that job from Carlson. He didn't. So that example proves that contract determines trade value, yes. Or that Gudas is underrated? Probably both.

Gallagher is a terrific, valuable player, and Josi is even more so. Neither will be traded, so their value will remain a mystery.

And kempny wont be traded either. He old more value in caps line up then in a traded. Because he won’t land near a first in return. He hasn’t proven anything yet
    Sep. 21, 2019 at 10:01 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    Edited Sep. 21, 2019 at 11:00 a.m.
    And kempny wont be traded either. He old more value in caps line up then in a traded. Because he won’t land near a first in return. He hasn’t proven anything yet

I mean, you're quoting me saying he had as many even strength points last year as Klingberg, Pietrangelo, McAvoy, Faulk, Dahlin, and Gardiner. A

t the same time, even casual fans love to lowball on here when they smell cap trouble. So, yeah, he might go for a 2nd and a prospect if they decide to move him this summer, for cap space to keep all of Stephenson, Djoos, and Copley with the big club. More likely they let Djoos and Stephenson go cheap, and see if Kempny has another good top pair year or three in him, but there's some chance Djoos is more skilled, and there's some chance Copley is a poor man's starting goalie, so there's some chance Kempny goes during training camp for a 2nd and a decent but not great prospect. I'm thinking Vejdemo, McLeod.... don't know the Rangers' guys.

I will say that Gallagher is worth twice Kempny, because 30 goal scorers are way rarer than top-four defensemen. But the only reason the Caps would move Kempny would be to cut cap, so it'd have to be a big, complicated multiplayer deal, and Washington has already gone through a lot of changes this summer.
    Pharow liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll