Forums/Armchair-GM

my take on lines after last nights game

Created by: tsyls
Team: 2019-20 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 21, 2019
Published: Sep. 21, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is my projected lineup for when the regular season starts.

I'm going off of a number of things I have seen in preseason so far. I know it's a little early, but by the middle of next week we will have a good understanding of what the lineup is really gonna look like.

Obviously this scenario includes Buff being back by opening night and Laine and Connor signing as well.

At this point in time, Andrew Copp has become my favourite player on the team. I think hes also our most underrated player. From what I've seen this year I honestly think he has the potential to become a legit top 6 forward. I think people forget that in college he was putting up real good scoring numbers. I think that he's improved a lot since last season and I see him getting a good look at 2c sometime throughout the year.

If helly has a good year and the blue line doesn't suffer any huge injuries to buff or JoMo they could fight for 4th in the central. I just don't see them with this lineup finishing below 5th.

A couple of notes I have from preseason are:

Vesalainen: I think he could really use some more time in the AHL, he doesn't look very confident with the puck and I think playing with the Moose would really benefit him.

Gustafsson: This guy is shaping up to be a real nice player. To me he looks as if hes going to be the next Lowry. I see him pushing for a spot next year and taking a full time role in 2 years when Lowry walks as a UFA.

Ehlers: He really put work in this offseason, all the small details have improved and it really shows. He played really good last night.

Niku: I know he didn't play vs St. Louis but I thought I'd touch on him. I know everyone is scared to give him top pairing minutes, but hes gonna get those minutes anyways if he plays with Buff. Lets be real, the top 2 pairings easily could be interchangeable. If Niku plays with Buff, Pionk plays with Morrissey and they'd both probably play around the same amount. At least when you put Niku with JoMo he gets to play on his preferred side.

Perreault: I honestly wasn't a fan of him at all, and he just disappoints me more and more every game. The guy takes way too many stupid penalties. I get hes a veteran presence and can play up and down the lineup but I just think the jets would be better off trading him. Chibisov would jump up to his spot and Letestu steps onto the 4th line.

Stanley: He definitely needs another year at least in the AHL, his foot speed has improved but he's got to get better handling and moving the puck.

Heinola: The guy looked real good but his lack of size showed. He got pushed around in the corners quite a bit. He will most likely get his 9 games and then go to Finland. He just needs to gain some more muscle. I see him being NHL ready next year.

Spacek: He's quite a shifty player. I like his game but he needs more time in the AHL.

Letestu: He's been consistent, he's a little slow for my liking but he could really help out our PK. If anyone gets injured I expect him to step in. To me he's basically another Matt Hendricks.

Bourque: Another PB guy, good veteran presence and could also step-in when injuries occur.

Lowry: Good old consistent shutdown guy. You know what to expect from him each and every game.

Pionk: He looked once again solid. He can really handle himself well and move the puck. Only issue for him is that I'd love to see the jets give Niku an extended look with JoMo and unless Pionk switches to the left side he'll be pushed down to 3rd pairing. I don't know if Jets will give Niku the 1st pairing look so expect to see Pionk with JoMo.

Beaulieu: He'll most likely be the 7th guy if Heinola sticks around for his 9 games. If buff isn't ready to go before Heinola goes to Finland, Beaulieu will step-in and play with Poolman till buff is back.

D Pairings till buff is back:

Morrissey-Niku
Kulikov-Pionk
Beaulieu/Heinola(9games)-Poolman

PB: Bitetto

EDIT: After some thinking, I honestly think the Jets would be better off putting Niku on 2nd pairing with buff and using Pionk with JoMo. If we don't we're gonna be underutilizing him like we did with Hayes last year.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,000,000
3$6,500,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,341,667$0$405,000$1,158,333

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 5
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
UFA - 7
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$741,667$741,667
RW
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,150,000$3,150,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 5
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,600,000$7,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,333,333$4,333,333
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 21, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
arafay liked this.
Sep. 21, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
I think Gustafsson sticks for at least 9 games! he looks like a player!
tsyls and bunzy1034 liked this.
Sep. 21, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: Ducky10
I think Gustafsson sticks for at least 9 games! he looks like a player!

Depends on if Laine and Connor sign. If they do I don't see it happening. But if they don't he'll be there for 9 or until they sign before the full 9.
Ducky10 liked this.
Sep. 21, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Great analysis! Good stuff.
Sep. 21, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.
I like it. The lines look good. If Laine can come back a faster and stronger player I see that top line tearing it up. I think that will be the case because I feel he will be hungry to prove himself.

I would play roslovic at c and copp at lw. Roslovic is much more effective at c than as a winger and copp can play both fine. It really comes down to two things, we need to develop roslovic at c and it would optimize the lines potential. Also I would have chibisov or appleton on that line on rw as chibisov looks way more effective on his offside. However perreault on rw with Jose guys isn’t bad either since appleton and chibisov clearly have chemistry. That 4th line would be fire

I don’t think buff will be ready for game one. Also please do not give niku top pairing responsibilities yet. It will only hurt his confidence, especially in the bigger central division. I would have my pairings like:
JoMo- pionk
Kulikov-niku
Heinola(first 9 games then beaulieu)-poolman

Then when buff is ready:
JoMo-pionk
Niku-buff
Heinola(if he makes it impossible to take him out but I highly doubt it)-poolman
Kulikov/beaulieu (one traded or waived)

I should give him some slack because it was his first game in months but if that’s the game helly will play (first period) we will be a bubble team. If helly performs above avg, we could be a contender.
tsyls liked this.
Sep. 21, 2019 at 5:29 p.m.
Edited Sep. 21, 2019 at 5:42 p.m.
Quoting: arafay
I like it. The lines look good. If Laine can come back a faster and stronger player I see that top line tearing it up. I think that will be the case because I feel he will be hungry to prove himself.

I would play roslovic at c and copp at lw. Roslovic is much more effective at c than as a winger and copp can play both fine. It really comes down to two things, we need to develop roslovic at c and it would optimize the lines potential. Also I would have chibisov or appleton on that line on rw as chibisov looks way more effective on his offside. However perreault on rw with Jose guys isn’t bad either since appleton and chibisov clearly have chemistry. That 4th line would be fire

I don’t think buff will be ready for game one. Also please do not give niku top pairing responsibilities yet. It will only hurt his confidence, especially in the bigger central division. I would have my pairings like:
JoMo- pionk
Kulikov-niku
Heinola(first 9 games then beaulieu)-poolman

Then when buff is ready:
JoMo-pionk
Niku-buff
Heinola(if he makes it impossible to take him out but I highly doubt it)-poolman
Kulikov/beaulieu (one traded or waived)

I should give him some slack because it was his first game in months but if that’s the game helly will play (first period) we will be a bubble team. If helly performs above avg, we could be a contender.

I just have a feeling Niku is gonna give us that no choice than to put him with JoMo. I think he’s that good. I think a lot of people are underestimating how good the jets will be if helly gets back to his vezina candidate form. I’m gonna re read your comment and edit my lines accordingly.

I have a weird feeling Little is gonna have a real good year. I think hes gonna come hungry and wanting to prove himself
arafay liked this.
Sep. 21, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.
Quoting: tsyls
I just have a feeling Niku is gonna give us that no choice than to put him with JoMo. I think he’s that good. I think a lot of people are underestimating how good the jets will be if helly gets back to his vezina candidate form. I’m gonna re read your comment and edit my lines accordingly.

I have a weird feeling Little is gonna have a real good year. I think hes gonna come hungry and wanting to prove himself

I don’t have much hope for little. It looks like he hasn’t taken a step forward in the preseason. But he hasn’t taken a step back either so not that bad

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll