Forums/Armchair-GM

The Return Of The Bern

Created by: A_Bear_On_Skates
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 21, 2019
Published: Oct. 21, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I starting this thinking I was going to find a way to dump Ceci on the Jets. This seems more... INTERESTING to me. The Jets won't have much space when Byfuglien comes back, the Wings do... and they're going for a tank anyway. Petan is being shopped already, Bernier is an improvement over Hutch--with a team that isn't total garbage in front of him, he has a decent track record. And at the end of the day Hyman and Dermott can come back without playing a short roster.
Trades
DET
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. Petan, Nicolas
  3. 2020 4th round pick (VGK)
  4. 2020 7th round pick (EDM)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$81,247,143$0$70,000$252,857
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 21, 2019 at 12:30 p.m.
Do you think he knows who Nelson Mandela is yet?
A_Bear_On_Skates liked this.
Oct. 21, 2019 at 12:31 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: staytru20
Do you think he knows who Nelson Mandela is yet?

One would hope so squinty smile
staytru20 liked this.
Oct. 21, 2019 at 12:37 p.m.
so the wings do the leafs a favor... take on ceci, foooor? petan a 4th and a 7th? why? Most will agree ceci is already over paid and isnt that great. so why are they taking a serviceable asset from the wings for really not a whole lot?
Oct. 21, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.
Mandela is one of the great athletes of his time, Right?

Toronto can keep Cici or offer better draft picks because he is nothing more than a cap dump. Do you really think he will resign in Detroit?
Oct. 21, 2019 at 12:53 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: hanson493
so the wings do the leafs a favor... take on ceci, foooor? petan a 4th and a 7th? why? Most will agree ceci is already over paid and isnt that great. so why are they taking a serviceable asset from the wings for really not a whole lot?

- Detroit is actively trying to tank this year.
- Bernier isn't a goalie to build around, but he's better than Cal Pickard, or whoever they want to call up. And his contract is up in a couple years anyway, he'll be 33, he's definitely not part of the futire. The should be getting rid of him one way or another anyway.
- Ceci is at least an NHL player. Even based on his play in Ottawa the last couple years he'd be the 3rd or 4th best player on Detroit's blue line, based on his numbers in TO he'd be #1. I wouldn't expect him to keep it up, but I'd expect him to be pretty much interchangeable with anyone in the top 4. It's also only for one year.
- Petan is a serviceable player, but will never get to play in Toronto. He's better suited to a top 6 role IMO. If they want to use him there, he'd fit in fine, if they want to tank as hard as possible while hanging onto an RFA with some potential, he's already cleared waivers this season.

Another route they could go down is taking on Johan Franzen's LTIR contract. But Detroit doesn't actually need that space right now so I don't know how much that would matter to them.
Oct. 21, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: aedoran
Mandela is one of the great athletes of his time, Right?

Toronto can keep Cici or offer better draft picks because he is nothing more than a cap dump. Do you really think he will resign in Detroit?

Of course he is! Everyone knows that grin

I'm open to it. Or a prospect of some kind. But he would actually be one of Detroit's best, if not their best, blueliner. Or if he reverts to his worst Ottawa days, he's still better than about half the blue line. Either way, Bernier isn't part of the future, losing him would probably help the tank job, pick up a few extra picks and a young guy with some potential on a cheap two-year deal that has been buried on good teams so far (and who has already cleared waivers this year if they want to hang on until next year).
Oct. 21, 2019 at 1:06 p.m.
Quoting: A_Bear_On_Skates
- Detroit is actively trying to tank this year. So then why trade for ceci. It would make more sense for them to ask for liljegren instead of ceci... the only reason ceci is included in the deal is to offset berniers cap it.
- Bernier isn't a goalie to build around, but he's better than Cal Pickard, or whoever they want to call up. And his contract is up in a couple years anyway, he'll be 33, he's definitely not part of the futire. The should be getting rid of him one way or another anyway. - Agreed
- Ceci is at least an NHL player. Even based on his play in Ottawa the last couple years he'd be the 3rd or 4th best player on Detroit's blue line, based on his numbers in TO he'd be #1. I wouldn't expect him to keep it up, but I'd expect him to be pretty much interchangeable with anyone in the top 4. It's also only for one year. - See above.
- Petan is a serviceable player, but will never get to play in Toronto. He's better suited to a top 6 role IMO. If they want to use him there, he'd fit in fine, if they want to tank as hard as possible while hanging onto an RFA with some potential, he's already cleared waivers this season. - Petan is a quantity filler throw in. probably wont be anything more than 3rd line AT BEST if he can even get that. I know bernier isnt good but this is a laughable proposal for a team that is looking to acquire draft capital and young assets.

Another route they could go down is taking on Johan Franzen's LTIR contract. But Detroit doesn't actually need that space right now so I don't know how much that would matter to them.
Oct. 21, 2019 at 1:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I like the idea of playing with 23 man roster, but trading Ceci without any NHL capable replacement is not the solution. Holl and Marincin as full time regulars? And what happens when there is another injury on defence?
This distain for Ceci is really unfounded. It's more a of a ACGM fascination that started in July. He certainly hasn't been the worse Leaf Dman through the first eight games.
Oct. 21, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: hanson493

It would make more sense for them to ask for liljegren instead of ceci... the only reason ceci is included in the deal is to offset berniers cap it.

The trade is literally warm body, decent young player that can be sent down and a couple picks in exchange for a goalie talent somewhere in between 1C and backup and some cap space. If Liljegren was coming the other way it would be Detroit giving up picks. I could see them trading pretty much any D prospect outside of Sandin or Liljegren though.
Oct. 21, 2019 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: A_Bear_On_Skates
Of course he is! Everyone knows that grin

I'm open to it. Or a prospect of some kind. But he would actually be one of Detroit's best, if not their best, blueliner. Or if he reverts to his worst Ottawa days, he's still better than about half the blue line. Either way, Bernier isn't part of the future, losing him would probably help the tank job, pick up a few extra picks and a young guy with some potential on a cheap two-year deal that has been buried on good teams so far (and who has already cleared waivers this year if they want to hang on until next year).

As a Detroit fan I would be happy with Petan and a pick.
Oct. 21, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: palhal
I like the idea of playing with 23 man roster, but trading Ceci without any NHL capable replacement is not the solution. Holl and Marincin as full time regulars? And what happens when there is another injury on defence?
This distain for Ceci is really unfounded. It's more a of a ACGM fascination that started in July. He certainly hasn't been the worse Leaf Dman through the first eight games.

- Holl and Marincin have looked quite capable. I'm comfortable with them frankly.
- Reilly and Ceci make a pretty horrible pairing since both like to jump up but neither really knows how to defend. Dermott is better than both of them when it comes to breaking up plays at the blue line.
- I really don't have a distain for Ceci... in fact I think a Ceci-Dermott pairing could be quite good as both are puck movers, both would be playing on their natural sides, but Dermott is better at defending than Reilly. And no, he hasn't been the worst D-Man so far... the real problem with Ceci is his contract. His strengths, fit in the lineup, and contract are all mismatched with each other. at $2m, I have no problems with him, even paired with Reilly.
- As far as injuries go, if one of your top players goes down you're going to have a bad time regardless. If one of the bottom 3 players goes down, there are valid options on the Marlies.
aedoran liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll