Initial Creation Date: Jan. 30, 2020
Published: Jan. 30, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
DET
  1. Backes, David
  2. 2020 1st round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Boston gets out of the Backes contract with a 1st round pick. Perlini hasn't fit in Detroit but he could have value as a 4th liner/13th forward, and his contract is up at the end of the year.
DET
  1. Galchenyuk, Alex
  2. 2020 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Athanasiou is a better version of Hagelin, who fit in perfectly with Malkin. Pitt has been trying to move Galchenyuk, this lets the Wings get a look at him until the end of the year. Daley is a throw in, knows Pitt and provides veteran depth for playoffs. SJS 3rd round pick is going to be in the mid-60's, so essentially a 2nd round pick.
PIT
  1. Athanasiou, Andreas
  2. Daley, Trevor ($1,583,333 retained)
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (SJS)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$64,390,832$145,000$2,315,000$17,109,168
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,100,000$1M)
G
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166
LD
RFA - 2
$2,687,500$2,687,500
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,300,000$3,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,954,545$3,954,545
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,083,333$6,083,333
C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 30, 2020 at 4:54 p.m.
Quoting: redw1n9s
You're insane if you think that's a fair trade, simple as that. AA is a far better player than Gal, he's just playing on a FAR worse team. Forget perceived value there is no way the Wings trade AA for a meaningless pick and a UFA...makes no sense.

Daley won two cups with Pitt....two. You are clearly out of your element here. Referencing +/- proved that real quick.

Lemieux won two Cups with Pittsburgh too... does that mean that he should skate up?

You are ignoring facts and just waiving your hands. I comments on specifics and said that replacing Galchenyuk with Athanasiou on the Pens roster doesn't make any real impact on the Pens chances of winning come playoff time. Your rebuttal is that I am insane instead of countering the actual position, because it can not be effectively countered.

Is Detroit bad because of its players, or do its players look bad because they are on Detroit? I'm going with the former.

Good luck tricking some GM into giving a 1st+ for zero-impact Athanasiou.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 5:02 p.m.
Quoting: lampshadey20
First, the "only thing" being RFA as opposed to UFA is huge.

Which is why I mentioned it as opposed to ignoring the facts like others in this discussion.

Meanwhile an exec went on record and said that if Detroit shops Athanasiou, they could get a 1st round pick for him in the right situation.

Sure, a contender's 1st for Athanasiou and Detroit's 2nd could go down in a heartbeat. Ex: #25 for Athanasiou and #32. Done without pause. A 1st for Athanasiou straight, no.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 5:02 p.m.
Quoting: Yojimbo

https://theathletic.com/1560427/2020/01/28/who-says-no-nhl-executives-evaluate-your-trade-proposals/

From this article:
"I don’t think they’d have a big issue getting rid of Athanasiou but they can get a first-rounder at the deadline for Athanasiou with a year left in RFA."

You sound like you don't have a great handle on RFA/UFA and how much that impacts player value.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 5:09 p.m.
Quoting: bsilk18
Sure, thats not a terrible move, I guess it depends on their plan with Krug more than anything. Buying him out saves you 1 million in cap space, which isnt much, but could do something. And you do save the first. However, if they wanna keep Krug and dont wanna move some other guys, they may have to trade Backes.

So Buying him out isnt a terrible move, but it still does keep them pretty limited in cap space (not to mention the annoying 1 million cap hit in two years lol, but thats not much)

BTW - don’t be surprised if you start hearing Backes/1st/prospect rumors for Kase. ?
Jan. 30, 2020 at 5:09 p.m.
redw1n9s
Lemieux won two Cups with Pittsburgh too... does that mean that he should skate up?

You are ignoring facts and just waiving your hands. I comments on specifics and said that replacing Galchenyuk with Athanasiou on the Pens roster doesn't make any real impact on the Pens chances of winning come playoff time. Your rebuttal is that I am insane instead of countering the actual position, because it can not be effectively countered.

Is Detroit bad because of its players, or do its players look bad because they are on Detroit? I'm going with the former.

lol...you're ignoring the fact that AA is a significantly better player than Gal and that the Wings would never trade AA for a meaningless pick and a UFA...both of the AA trades proposed in this thread are asinine, but your rebuttal with a 4th is hilarious. AA is worth a 1st round pick, at the very least.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 5:19 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Gofnut999
BTW - don’t be surprised if you start hearing Backes/1st/prospect rumors for Kase. ?

U think??
Who the hell knows anymore lol
Jan. 30, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: bsilk18
U think??
Who the hell knows anymore lol

Not saying it will happen. But there has been some tire kicking.

I was hoping he’d retire for everyone’s sake Including his own.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 5:56 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Gofnut999
Not saying it will happen. But there has been some tire kicking.

I was hoping he’d retire for everyone’s sake Including his own.

Agreed, check out my post man, It wasnt a shot at you, it was more a discussion to try to best solve the issue
Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:21 p.m.
Banned
Hagelin's best offensive season is 38 points - Athanasiou scored 30 goals last year. He's not as good defensively as Hagelin but you guys have plenty of defensively responsible guys to cover for him. Read Rutherford's interview, he specifically says he wants young guys who can play fast and fit with Malkin. That's Athanasiou to a T. If you don't agree with the trade then that's fine but don't pretend Hagelin at his peak was as much of a threat as Athanasiou.

The whole point of Hags on the penguins was to play defense for those players who didn't! He was never really there to play offense but when what little they got out of him dried up that was it he was moved out. How in the hell are you guys trying to compare AA to Hags. They aren't even remotely the same kind of player, and never will be.

You're right. He's a much better version of Hags

No he's not even remotely the same kind of player as Hags. Not even close.
Hags is a defensive forward who pressures team with his speed...at least he use to till he started slowing down.
AA plays no defense at all and is suppose to be an offensive threat.
There isn't any kind of comparable there. And anyone who actually watches hockey knows this!
Jan. 31, 2020 at 8:26 a.m.
https://theathletic.com/1560427/2020/01/28/who-says-no-nhl-executives-evaluate-your-trade-proposals/

From this article:
"I don’t think they’d have a big issue getting rid of Athanasiou but they can get a first-rounder at the deadline for Athanasiou with a year left in RFA."

You sound like you don't have a great handle on RFA/UFA and how much that impacts player value.

On wow, a glorified blogger said so so it must be true... Who doesn't have a handle on what?
Jan. 31, 2020 at 8:38 a.m.
lol...you're ignoring the fact that AA is a significantly better player than Gal and that the Wings would never trade AA for a meaningless pick and a UFA...both of the AA trades proposed in this thread are asinine, but your rebuttal with a 4th is hilarious. AA is worth a 1st round pick, at the very least.

No, Athanasiou is not "significantly better" than Galchenyuk. I laid out the comparison and literally the only thing Athanasiou has over Galchenyuk is RFA vs UFA. You, again, are just waiving your hands around in the air and making noise, paying zero attention to the reality of the situation, spewing your opinion as if it was facts. Offensive numbers, defensive numbers, etc etc etc... point to Galchenyuk over Athanasiou. Oh... or do you think that "significantly better" actually mans "not significantly better in any aspect of the game on the ice"?
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:18 a.m.
redw1n9s
No, Athanasiou is not "significantly better" than Galchenyuk. I laid out the comparison and literally the only thing Athanasiou has over Galchenyuk is RFA vs UFA. You, again, are just waiving your hands around in the air and making noise, paying zero attention to the reality of the situation, spewing your opinion as if it was facts. Offensive numbers, defensive numbers, etc etc etc... point to Galchenyuk over Athanasiou. Oh... or do you think that "significantly better" actually mans "not significantly better in any aspect of the game on the ice"?

You don't know what you're talking about if you think Gal is a better player than AA, end of story. You're looking at numbers that are dependent on the team they play for. It's not even close.

If AA is either moved for a legit prospect or 1st round pick, then you'll figure it out. And when he's not moved it's because that wasnt offered.....4th round pick lol
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:49 a.m.
You don't know what you're talking about if you think Gal is a better player than AA, end of story. You're looking at numbers that are dependent on the team they play for. It's not even close.

If AA is either moved for a legit prospect or 1st round pick, then you'll figure it out. And when he's not moved it's because that wasnt offered.....4th round pick lol

I didn't suggest a trade of a 4th for Athanasiou, you really can't get any facts straight can you.

Also, I mentioned that Detroit is bad because of the players it relies on, the players don't look bad because they are in Detroit. But again, you've ignored literally everything that I have said opting for this ice-cream that you are throwing back at me.

I hope some fool GM gives your team a 1st for a 3rd line one dimensional RFA... The Wings need to eject as many of their current roster as they can and bring in all the help that they can get.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 10:01 a.m.
redw1n9s
I didn't suggest a trade of a 4th for Athanasiou, you really can't get any facts straight can you.

Also, I mentioned that Detroit is bad because of the players it relies on, the players don't look bad because they are in Detroit. But again, you've ignored literally everything that I have said opting for this ice-cream that you are throwing back at me.

I hope some fool GM gives your team a 1st for a 3rd line one dimensional RFA... The Wings need to eject as many of their current roster as they can and bring in all the help that they can get.

You clearly don't watch must Red Wings hockey, so you prob shouldn't comment on the team or its players. Suggesting a 4th and a UFA for AA (my bad) is also asinine, and makes no sense for either team, especially Detroit.

"The Wings need to eject as many of their current roster as they can and bring in all the help that they can get".... ya thanks for Galchenyuk and a 4th.....lol
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:07 a.m.
You clearly don't watch must Red Wings hockey, so you prob shouldn't comment on the team or its players. Suggesting a 4th and a UFA for AA (my bad) is also asinine, and makes no sense for either team, especially Detroit.

"The Wings need to eject as many of their current roster as they can and bring in all the help that they can get".... ya thanks for Galchenyuk and a 4th.....lol

They way you dodge what is actually being said makes me smile. Solid strawman game. Sad... but solid.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:30 a.m.
redw1n9s
They way you dodge what is actually being said makes me smile. Solid strawman game. Sad... but solid.

This is going to be my last message on the matter, because this is nonsense. Aside from differing opinions on Gal and AA, the trade you are proposing makes no sense because:
1. AA is being traded for a controllable asset, most likely on Defense
2. AA is not being traded for a mediocre UFA that they will lose in 3 weeks for nothing
3. AA is not being traded for a meaningless 4th round pick that will probably never turn into an NHL player

So let's forget the fact that AA does everything on the ice better than Gal except for backcheck, and let's dismiss the fact that AA is playing on one of the worst teams in NHL history, AND let's forget that multiple sources claim AA is worth at least a 1st round pick (obviously). Your trade still makes absolutely no sense and is in no way even close to a win for for Det.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:46 a.m.
On wow, a glorified blogger said so so it must be true... Who doesn't have a handle on what?

It was an NHL executive being quoted, bud. You really have no idea what you're talking about.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:49 a.m.
This is going to be my last message on the matter

Good. But, I bet it's not.

Aside from differing opinions on Gal and AA, the trade you are proposing makes no sense because:
1. AA is being traded for a controllable asset, most likely on Defense
2. AA is not being traded for a mediocre UFA that they will lose in 3 weeks for nothing
3. AA is not being traded for a meaningless 4th round pick that will probably never turn into an NHL player

Yeah, I'm not the one that suggested the Galchenyuk for Athanasiou swap to begin with. So again, you really need to start paying attention to the facts.

So let's forget the fact that AA does everything on the ice better than Gal except for backcheck...

But as I laid out, he doesn't. You are confusing facts and opinions again.

... and let's dismiss the fact that AA is playing on one of the worst teams in NHL history...

Is that because it relys on players like Athanasiou? oooooohhhhh...

Your trade still makes absolutely no sense and is in no way even close to a win for for Det.

Hmmm... where did I suggest that Galchenyuk and a 4th for Athanasiou was a win for Detroit? Go ahead, move the target again.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:50 a.m.
backes wont take a first to move. not necessary. especially in a deal for ANOTHER 4th liner. we have plenty of those. keep your 4th liner.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:54 a.m.
It was an NHL executive being quoted, bud. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't have a The Athletic subscription so i don't know what was linked. Was it an "unnamed" Exec? So it could be the guy in charge of housekeeping at the Hall of Fame? VP in charge of media relations for Mystery NHL Team Gamma? Got you to click on their "article" though, right?
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:03 p.m.
I don't have a The Athletic subscription so i don't know what was linked. Was it an "unnamed" Exec? So it could be the guy in charge of housekeeping at the Hall of Fame? VP in charge of media relations for Mystery NHL Team Gamma? Got you to click on their "article" though, right?

Haha keep grasping at straws. The Athletic is a top sports website and wouldn't include it if it wasn't legit. I come up with an actual NHL source that believes he's worth a first-round pick and all you can do is lamely suggest that because the person isn't named they don't actually matter; when anybody could realize that the name can't be released because it's almost the Trade Deadline and they'd be tipping their hand. You're a pretty narrow-minded person when it comes to asset management from a hockey perspective, continue to live in delusion
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:13 p.m.
Haha keep grasping at straws.

I basically used that in this very AGM. You folks are so original.

His name can't be released because IF there were as many leaks in NHL team front offices everyone would be fired. Insider information is bullpoo. But the sheep keep clicking...
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
I basically used that in this very AGM. You folks are so original.

His name can't be released because IF there were as many leaks in NHL team front offices everyone would be fired. Insider information is bullpoo. But the sheep keep clicking...

Haha dude I just looked at your AGM teams, and this makes a lot more sense now. Your Pittsburgh bias is ridiculous, I can't tell if your teams are supposed to be jokes or not
Jan. 31, 2020 at 2:36 p.m.
Haha dude I just looked at your AGM teams, and this makes a lot more sense now. Your Pittsburgh bias is ridiculous, I can't tell if your teams are supposed to be jokes or not

Yeah, because trading Galchenyuk, Bjugstad, Johnson for Ovechkin, Carlson, Kuznetsov all at 50% retention is serious. Maybe your inability to tell that explains your inability to grasp rumor mongers, click bait artists, and why a non-physical, non-defensive forward that is being out scored/60 by bad year flunky Galchenyuk isn't worth a 1st.

Funny thing is... sure there was a link to a blogger, uh, writer who says that an un-named NHL executive (penalty box guy?) said that Athanasiou is worth a 1st, or could get it , or could steal one from a desperate fool, or whatever it says... but no one in this discussion has posted any reasons as to why. No comments on his great Athanasiou's this or that is, or how he is good at the other thing, or why his whatever works well for the team. Nothing actually supporting the "Athanasiou is worth it" position. (Did that set off a light bulb so now you are going to try it? Do I actually have to control both sides of this debate?) Nothing. just name calling and fist shaking.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll